Mazda 5 Owner reviews

TS 5dr

This car does exactly what it says on the tin. It starts. It stops. It carries 7 people. (But 6 really is a comfortable maximum). Its gentle over bumps. The heater works. The air con works......in fact i could go on. It all works. Its just boring and expensive to run. On a scale of 1 to 10 its a 5. Average, very average. But if you want a dependable machine that will get you there safely and comfortably, but not quickly....this car is for you. Is also useful if you want to blend in and dont like to be different. I bought it because it was on super special and a 0% finance offer. Its been satisfactory for the year I have owned it, Its a year and 3 weeks old. Would I buy another. No thanks. Its old. By that I mean its an old design and you can tell. Previously I have owned European people movers and whilst the Mazda has all the trimings, they dont compare to the refinement of a Citroen or Peugeot or Fiat. For example the auto windscreen wipers on my previous C4 Grande Picasso came on when it rained and auto adjusted the wiper dwell for the amount of rain. On the Mazda the auto wiper has a manual dwell time adjustment. Thats not auto!!! The cruise control was all over the place on the Mazda, speed up downhill and then lose 10mph on the uphill. On the C4 it was precise. Set and forget. Kept the speed perfectly. Little things that show the engineering on the Mazda is old....... The start stop is useless. Its not stopped long enough for most lights!

Malcolm Pinnell, Suffolk, January 23rd 2014

d Sport 5dr

Bought as ex demo from a dealer in Kings Lynn. It was 6 months old and only had 154 miles on the clock. I looked at the Ford S Max and the Honda, neither supply even a space saver spare wheel, the lovely Toyota Verso, with the spare wheel located under the back, (Just like my 1993 Transit Van :-))(And probably as easy to forget about?) NOT being able to get comfortable in ANY of the Citroens MPVs. The Mazda 5 rear sliding doors are a real blessing. The seats ALL fold flat and give over 60 inches of length space. The car warms up quickly, accelerates well through the gears and has a good 3rd gear for overtaking with very little turbo lag. 6th gear makes cruising a delight.(Any speed above about 50MPH)) I have only done a couple of thousand miles so at present any tyre wear issue has not come to light. I did a bit of homework AND made a particular point of asking the Service Manager (no good speaking the sales people) I was assured it was only earlier models affected and that the rear suspension geometry had been modified and this SHOULD (famous last words) Not be a problem ......Only time will tell. I enjoy the fact that it is a slightly firmer suspension and doesn't "wallow" on corners. 1 year on it still suits my driving style. Leisurely, but without hanging about too much. 60mph cruising where possible & STILL get 40mpg+ AM I HAPPY WITH IT? Come back and ask me again in another NINE YEARS.

Edward Harper, December 25th 2008

d Sport 5dr

having owned this car for 2 months now and having done 3000 miles, I am extremely pleased with it. The drive is fantastic and is the car feels very solid. the equipment is great and I particularly like the standard bluetooth. sliding doors are great, the easy 6-7 seat option is great when you use it and that's because you can easily fold them away when not needed. overall a great car. a little point: gearbox is a little stiff when cold. supplying dealer MKG3000 have been great and Rivervale Mazda Brighton sorted the gearbox issue. thanks to both of them.

Bram van den Berg, surrey, November 6th 2008

Sport Nav 5dr

I purchased the Mazda5 Individual in May 2007 I has so far covered 2700km all 4 of my tyres have their inner threads exposed. I am observing the must uneven and irregular tyre wear on any vehicle that I have owned. I have written to the Mazda Customer Care site in SA twice already but no response from them. I eventually got thro to their Helpdesk and spoke to a consultant, during that conversation I realised just how well trained the call centre staff are trained din evading the root cause of your complaints. Anyway I have booked my car in to have all four tyres replaced next week. I spoke to 2 owners of this vehicle here in SA and they share the same experiences regarding the tyre problems. My college has a blow out on the road one morning and she collided with the road structure casing serious damage to her car. Ps: Yes I had the wheels rotated and aligned at 8000KM but by that time the front tyres had already been β€œdamaged” I challenge any SA authority to contact me in this regard (deenan@nedbank.co.za). If I knew then what I know now….. I would have bought some other vehicle. Buy this car and you will experience the same issue that I have guaranteed. Deena

Deena Naidoo, South Africa, October 15th 2008

d Sport 5dr

I bought this car new in Feb '07. Since then, I have covered 27,000 miles and during that time, this car has suffered from more problems than any other car I have ever owned. There have been recalls for engine mountings, crankshaft problems, intercooler problems and electrical faults. This car also devours tyres! I am on my third set of new tyres with this vehicle, mainly because of uneven tyre wear. Mazda refuse to acknowledge there is a problem witrh this yet readers forums about this car suggest otherwise! Fuel economy is also very poor, nothing like stated in the brochure. If you have a family and are considering this vehicle - DON'T! You will spend more time having it repaired at dealers which don't care, (Barnetts, Dundee!). It handles poorly in the wet and due to the uneven tyre wear, is a danger to drive. Interior quality is also not great, plastics are cheap and easily marked. Don't let the sliding rear doors fool you into buying this car for 'ease of access', they stick and don't always work properly. Mazda Customer Services are a joke and fail to respond to any queries about this car. To sum up, don't waste your money on a Mazda5, Toyota Verso, (or walking!) is the better choice!

Stuart Mckenzie, Angus, October 13th 2008

Sport 5dr

Owned from new, now 18 months old. Been a great family car, none of the problems (so far) of other reports. Servicing good value and helful at Ipswich Mazda, & these have been the only costs (so far). Somewhat disappointed in high co2 output; costs too much to tax!! Overall, great value for money & we like it!!

Lindsay Daws, Suffolk, October 3rd 2008

Sport 5dr

On 1st name terms with Service Centre staff - they joke about how bad the car is! The car is great to drive, mpg good, sliding doors fantastic and generally a good looking car. Back seats difficult to access with little foot room. Problems encountered are long - tyre wear being the main one. On 3rd set of tyres in 28k miles. Last set lasted 8k. Tracking, geometry, done several times. Tyre centre think Mazda supplied wrong spec/gauges for them. Key fobs have been reprogrammed 6 times before finally replaced. Passenger/rear windows stopped working. Passenger door not open from outside handle. CD player packed up. Reversing and moving off clunk which cannot be identified. Burning smell from suspension cannot be idenitfied. Seat belt indicator sounding for no reason. Security indicator light malfunction. The list goes on... Mazda Aftersales and Customer Care Support is in mild terms, poor. Took 6 weeks to reply to with less than satisfactory offer of 40% toward the cost of 2 tyres instead of the 4 bald ones! Still waiting for a response to a call 2 months ago. The warranty is up next year but the car will be long gone by then!

Lieann Legon, Hertfordshire, September 29th 2008

TS 5dr

IF YOU ARE THINKING OF BUYING THIS CAR DON'T My car is coming up to 3 years old now its been in the garage more time's than its been on my drive!! It is due for its once over before the 3 years are up. Iwas told when i bought this care that the after sales were second to none, I was also told that the garage would always come and pick it up and then bring it back!(this is not the case as the garage will not pick up the car as it is not viable for them to do this aparently). Because of the amount of times this car has been at the garage (Nunns of Cleethorpes)they have branded me a difficult customer, so i'm told by the sevice centre at Nunns!!!(Its not my fault the car is always there!!!! If you know anyone that wants this car give me a call. I can't wait to be rid.

sally-ann Clayton-Bartlett, u k, August 28th 2008

Sport 5dr [6]

sorry just checking my previous email back in oct 07 i think it was. my dvd was fixed and yet again the dvd has stuck in. mazda dealer now trying to get me sorted with the head rest type dvd's and a new roof liner becuase they will be a hole when the take the other out. my driver seats stills squeaks,s till not sure if thats my fat tush oh and i've had a lot of gear grinding recently. i'm sorry if i'm repeating what other people have said, it's just i as going bog eyes reading the reports with the white back ground

H Bowes, Durham, August 15th 2008

d Sport 5dr

The vehicle in general is ok, the sliding doors are great, space not bad, yet to find all the supposed storage areas, middle seat is a waste of time, but driving position is good. There are faults that seem to be beyond the dealers ability to fix (One touch window lift keeps failing, Seat belt alarm goes off for no reason, has been in to dealer three times), and of course the tyre wear, which according to the dealer is down to the drivers, and not a fault with the car. When I informed them of the same problem being noted within these reviews, even giving them copies, they dismissed them. When I insisted they check tracking etc., they said I would have to pay. I then took it to a local test centre, and had it checked out, they said everything was in spec, but did say they suspect that a mixture of a powerful PAS system and low profile tyres would be enough to badly scrub the tyres, causing the heavy outer and inner tyre wear that many of us are seeing. Have been in touch with Mazda and had no response. Needless to say will not be getting another Mazda.

Ian Alefounder, Merseyside, July 25th 2008

TS2 5dr

My previous post has been edited (= changed): What I wrote was that I manage from 0,65 to 0,75 litres/10 km on long distances. That equals 43,4 to 37,7 mpg. On the present tank I'm doing 39,9 mpg so far on a mix of long and short distance trips.

Are Haram, July 1st 2008

TS2 5dr

Overall, I'm very pleased with my Mazda 5 1,8. I've not suffered from excessive tyre wear (but I can't wait to get rid of the noisy Toyo-rubber that went with the car!). The dealer had to change some front suspension bearings to eliminate squeaky sounds when passing speed bumps in cold conditions, but now it's good. On long distances, I manage 0.75 litres/10 km (37.66mpg), depending on the speed. In the city, and during the winter, consumption is closer to 1 litre/10 km (28.25mpg), which is too much. Best: feedback to driver, inspiring set-up, general comfort. Worst: tyre noise, low gear ratio. It's highly recommended.

Are Haram, June 24th 2008

d Sport 5dr

This vehicle has been without doubt, one of the worst cars I have ever owned. I bought it new and as the miles have piled on, (22,000), so have the problems, the worst of which is exceedingly poor tyre wear. Expect no more than 10,000 miles from a full set! Interior trim is flimsy and marks easily, fuel economy is nothing like claimed in the brochure as I average less than 36 mpg! Problems persist with the sliding rear doors, the aircon unit, the cd autochanger, the rain sensor wipers and the electric front windows. Not to mention the driveshaft failing leaving a family of five, including a 9 month old baby, stranded for 3 hours on a country road! We should have been sent a recall notice about the driveshaft but we were 'overlooked'! The car also pulls very much to the left and handles worse than it did prior to having had the tracking and the whole geometry of the vehicle adjusted in an attempt to cure the horrific rate of tyre wear which is unsafe. The dealer tries their best but forget Mazda Customer Services, which can best be described as woeful and inept. This car is one of the worst MPV's on the market - take my advice, look elsewhere and 'ZOOM - ZOOM' to another dealership!!

Stuart Mckenzie, Angus, June 3rd 2008

d Sport Nav 5dr

I believe there are a few things to clear up here. Some 5's have experienced excessive tyre wear. My car experienced the same problem this problem was sorted and I had the FULL cost refunded and was told that the problem was caused by the tracking being out on some of the cars and this was sorted. I currently am averaging 49mpg (by my own calculations) the trip computer gives the same results as well. If you drive any car in a traffic jam the economy will fall after all in traffic jams is where you get bad economy. Also if you have a roof box and are not using it, I had one on for 7 months with nothing in it and I was only getting 41mpg. road noise is almost not existent but there is a quite a bit when you sit in the 3rd row. I am 6'6" and the driving position is perfect. Overall this is the best car I have ever owned ,the running costs are low considering the power of the engine, it tows effortlessly, It grips to the road very well. overall brilliant and don't let any reviews of bad tyre wear put you off this only happened on earlier 5’s and they obviously haven’t had the tracking sorted. Also to anyone who suffers from tyre wear and doesn't get a refund they have to give you a full refund as it is an official fault that mazda recognise on earlier 5's, there are a few dodgy dealers out there but the majority have excellent customer services. I would highly recommend buying from mazda in perth as they worked very hard to get the car before the holidays.

ian hopps, April 23rd 2008

d Sport 5dr

How do I get the car serviced by a local garage using genuine parts without a service logbook? I have been quoted Β£300 for a Mazda5 first service and the same is only Β£140 at my local garage that I have used for 4 years until now. The Mazda5 has this Digital Servicing Record, for added security (so they say). Can I just buy a service logbook and have it done by a normal garage and not the 'main stealer'?

Barrie Burns, Wilts, April 9th 2008

d Sport 5dr

I have now had my Mazda 5 for 19 months and have covered 42,000 miles. Like everyone else the first set of tyres wore quickly having to all be changed at 18,000 miles. The second set I had Michelins put on and they have been very good having now covered 24,000 miles, front near side starting to show outer wear. After changing to the Michelins, which were also quieter I had all four wheels tracked and camber checked at my local dealer. I am pleased with the car as it does everything I needed from it, being able to have a big load in the back with seats down like my Mazda 5 estate, carrying the family and parents, camping holidays. It is giving me on average 40 - 43 mpg and on a trip to France last summer covering 1,400 miles averaged 42 mpg with 6 up, 4 adults and 2 children with a roof box on top. The best average has been 48 mpg on a 600 miles round trip last week, mainly motorway driving and just me in the car. Do not believe the trip computer for mpg, I use the full tank method and see how much I put back in after a trip. The looks, equipment and sliding doors were my main reasons for getting this car over other MPV's and I will get another in June next year. Especially now they have put the cruise control, blue tooth and other little extras in. This is a company car so the running costs apart from Diesel are not a factor.

Paul Larter, Essex, February 27th 2008

d Sport 5dr

I have had this car for a little over 2 years now and the only fault I have is that it goes through a set of tyres every 15,000 miles . When a tyre costs Β£140 each , it works out expensive. The Local dealer said the reason for the wear was not the set up but ' poor roads and speed ramps ' . After a new set of tyres the dealer charged me Β£80 to re-adjust the set up . Apart from the bad tyre wear , I am pleased with the car . I'm averaging about 38 mpg and this does not alter drastically if I drive with a light or heavy right foot.

Keith Bowdery, Kent, February 22nd 2008

Sport 5dr

bought car march 2006.1st service may 2007.rear tyres deemed dangerous 13000 mls. mazda paid.front tyre problem dec 2007 18000mls.down to mesh on extreme inside edge.mazda say not contributing.still 2mm above tread min. indicator. not accepting this.there is obviously a basic setup or design fault here so why can't they admit it & do the decent thing. am shocked at the numbers involved. apart from this a brilliant car. come on mazda !!!

jim smith, argyll, February 13th 2008

d Sport 5dr

Have owned my Mazda 5 143 sport for 1 year now and it has just gone for its first service which was good and well priced I like the way the car drives and it is very practicable. Although an occasional seven seater is a better discription and even then children in the rear seats is best but its not small by any means. I also think its one of the better looking MPV's on the market, I am however very annoyed with the excessive Tyre wear, all fout tyres in 13000 miles can not be normal, yes mazda has offered to pay half but that is not good enough does this happen with all the other MPV's? I think not, what a shame as this and no crusie control spoils what I would have considered one of the best MPV's out there, unless they can sort out this Tyre wear issue it has to be one of the worst, and that is not to mention the poor MPG figures. 46 MPG so they say ha my 2.0l diesel gets about 32MPG on average and I'm a slow careful driver if its cheap motoring your after look else where, what a shame.

Liam Doyle, January 18th 2008

d Sport 5dr

Where do I begin. Purchased car April 2006 and immediately had the noise from steering when parking and giving the car opposite lock. Dealership unable to fix, and I was informed Mazda was aware of problem !!!!, still not fixed 21 months later. Next turbo blew and car off road for 4 weeks as no turbo in UK !!!!, Next front and rear shocks needed replaced !!! Tyre wear was the worst I have ever seen on any car !!!! all that said I liked the car and have had 2 6's before and have just placed an order for the new 6 Sport. Mazda really need to up "their game" in terms of customer support.

Trevor Cooper, Antrim, January 11th 2008