Volkswagen Golf Plus MPV Owner reviews

This is an update to my previous review. I have now had the car for just under 2 years and have done 20000 miles. I still enjoy the high seating area, alround vision and excellent seats. Both the gearbox and 1.4tsi engine are sweet as a nut. In my 2 years, apart from servicing, I have had no repair bills. I think I will find it hard to find another car "this good" to replace it. Thank you Volkswagen.

Tina Heath, West sussex, June 19th 2012

TSI S 5dr

I have had this car for just under 3 years now and honestly think it is wonderful, it has a long life service package which has meant that I have had to have it serviced twice so far, it is comfortable to drive and very econmical on the fuel. Tyre wear has also been excellent, one set of new tyres and none on the rear so far, ( I have done 60,000 Miles so far) being a working mum it suits the small trips with the children to social events etc but also is brilliant when having to travel further afield from home on business. There is plenty of room in the front and back of the vehicle, we found more leg room in the back of the golf plus than with the other ve cars including VW's 7 seater models. My favourite car so far, would love another but need something larger now due to towing.

Joanne Rix, ESSEX, January 25th 2009

Luna TDI PD 5dr

I have had my Golf Plus S 1.9 TDi(105) for 2 years and had no problems at all. It is a great drive on my 20 miles to work every morning and has good fuel economy. The Space inside is superb and the comfort levels are excellent. The plastics are of a good quality and in line between the Skoda/Seat and the Audi(it's luxurious brother/sister). A relative has the Golf Plus SE 1.9 TDi(105) and also rates this car very highly. I am perplexed at the few drivers who have written a bad report here due to the long list of faults. I know many people with Volkswagens and they are totally happy with not an ounce of a problem. Can't believe these folk bought their cars from a reputable dealer. If they did they need to contact Volkswagen directly and seriously complain. I love my Golf Plus. It's great to drive, good economy, good kit, great space, pulls our caravan beautifully. Would recommend it to anyone.

Ian Harvey, Cleveland, October 20th 2008

S TDI PD 5dr

Another loaner while the dreaded Passat was in the dealer. Liked the look of this car and it drove well once again did not like the Diesel as the power band was so narrow. Plenty of room comfortable goes well when it gets there and of course petrol consumption very good. Could be a nice car provided VW and local dealers were more customer orientated.

Garry Cleaver, August 23rd 2008

Dune TDI PD 5dr

Changed to the Golf Plus from Mk5 Golf to benefit from the increased space and ease of access. This has proved to be a good move. The only downside is the local VW dealer. Fortunately my visits are very infrequent. The problems experienced are difficulty in 'booking' a service - engine compartment left messy due to careless handling of oil and claiming to have washed and valeted the car when they did not.

John Hepple, South Yorkshire, July 30th 2008

SE TDI PD 5dr

In answer to Mr Harvey in Cleveland I can confirm that my car was bought from an Official Franchised dealer. Unlike most of the comments here I can honestly say that the dealers have not been at fault for any of the woes I have had with the car. The dealer I have used to service the car (another Franchised dealer) have carried out all warranty repairs quickly and efficiently. The only criticism I can make was them 'accidentally' billing me for the fluids to fill the new radiator it required (another warranty replacement) at the last service (its 3rd). It is currently in for a service (its 4th @75000 miles, not bad), and for the first time sice I bought it has not needed any work done on faults since the last service, but then i wouldnt expect any work to be required this time round given the Β£1000 bill last time. (Β£170 for the VW timing belt kit? The last one I done was in a toyota, not know to be cheap for parts, and cost Β£35 for bits....) Obviously Mr Harvey couldnt bring himself to finish the reveiw on his beloved VW or he would have read the last bit, though at least I have got a new radiator out of the extended warranty. "VW UKs proposal to "restore my faith in VW" - their words - was to extend the factory warranty by a year so at least I won't be out of pocket. A CAR THAT DIDN'T CONSTANTLY GO WRONG MAY BE MORE HELPFUL."

steve hemphill, aberdeenshire, July 30th 2008

GT TDI PD 5dr

This is an update on my 11/03/2008 review & unfortunatly things have gone down hill. Rattle from air conditioning in central arm rest - repaired but has now returned Boot door not aligned properly - repaired but still not fixed properly Various rattles from inside the left passenger door Grinding plastic sound when the back right suspension is working Right side of the front bumper is not flush and seems to be coming loose Right back door not aligned properly Only good thing about the car so far, is the motor, quite for a diesel and very economical. VW dealer and customer service here in Italy are helpful just a pity about the poor quality of their products. I will not buy another Volkswagen, back to BMW for me.

Roberto Uno, June 13th 2008

Sport TDI PD 5dr

This car was a great choice for us, good to drive, well-equipped and the sort of solid build quality you expect in a German car. But the real value for us is consistent with the niche market this car is said to inhabit. We didn't want a bona fide MPV, no kids, dogs or grandparents, etc., so no need for seven seats and so on. But we do want more room than some pokey hatchback with little more space than a supermini. The Golf Plus was ideal in this respect and was chosen above a Qashqai and Ford Focus.

Neil Ayre, April 7th 2008

Luna TDI PD 5dr

We purchased our Golf Plus in July 2006 and have had an issue with it regarding the climate control. When the heating is warming the cabin up and we drive around a corner, there is a sharp blast of cold air that blows through the cabin. We find this extremely uncomfortable. On returning to various dealerships over the last year and a half, we are been fobbed off with the explanation that this is a 'characteristic of the car'. We have come across other Golf Plus and Golf drivers who have had similar experiences and wondered if any other readers had such problems.

Stephen Povey, west midlands, March 28th 2008

S FSI 5dr

Took delivery of a Golf Plus 1.9 TDI Sportline with sat nav and leather interior as standard spec (Italian version). Few minor problems on delivery such as number plate not attached correctly, some rattles but the most annoying problems have been a 2 cm long light brown mark in the paintwork and a rattle like vibrating glass which now seems to have dissapeared. Car in general drives well,but pulls to the right at motorway speeds (because of new tires !)but in general seems well built and silent at speeds. Complained to VW Germany and Italy as well as to the dealer with regards to the minor problems Ive had and found them all to be very helpful and not at all negative as Ive read elsewere. Rear view is not that good but I have the rear parking sensors which I advise on ordering when ordering the car. There was a smell of buring which came from the motor after 500 KM but understand from the mechanic that it is normal. Smell has not returned. Lets hope all continues to goes well

L Giusto, March 11th 2008

Sport TDI PD 5dr

Coming from a Renault Scenic diesel, I was concerned about space and the fuel consumption. OK, it's not as big as the Scenic/Zafira/C-Max crowd, but 95% of the time you don't need that space and this is fine. It has significantly more room than a standard Golf, with some nice touches (sliding back seats, false floor in the boot). It's a bit early to say on the fuel consumption front, but I'm getting around 40mpg without trying too hard. I'm not sure about other comments on here saying it doesn't handle or go - it rides well, handles better than most MPVs, and at least with this engine it goes well. It's very quiet too. The only gripe I've got is that pick-up from low revs is 'all or nothing' if you're not very careful with the throttle. Overall I'd recommend this - if you don't mind the anonymous looks, it's a good car.

richard warren, December 15th 2007

Sport TSI 5dr

i test drove this car and a normal golf, and there was a big difference. the plus drove like a bus, it was horrible, whereas the normal golf was much nicer to drive. also the price difference is ridiculous, its around Β£750 more for a plus, and i don't think you get Β£750 more car. get a normal golf and spend the change you have on a holiday.

James Parry, Cheshire, November 30th 2007

Sport TSI 5dr

Very spacious, quiet and economical with the six speed box,good ride and driving position. Packed with extras that I didn't expect at this level, such as cruise control, rain sensitive wipers, I like this car very much. My wife, our grandson , and our children also like it, which is a unanimous first. On a recent trip of 186 miles ,I got just over 60mpg. The only features I dont like are the quaterlights and the A pillars, which do obscure the view. Some people don't see the point of the large covered tray in the boot,I use it for extra maps, visibility vest, first aid kit, blanket etc, this keeps the luggage area tidy.

Walter Parkin, Notts, November 24th 2007

SE FSI 5dr

After 11,000 miles trouble-free, this quiet, comfortable car handles better than any of my previous 13 vehicles including 2 boneshaking Mk1 MB A classes and a very costly to run C class. Β£200 VW service after 18 months is 1/3 cost of Mercedes dealer servicing for same period! The 1.4 90 bhp FSI engine is perfectly adequate for everyday use, cruising at 60-70 with no effort returning 50.4 mpg on long runs and about 38 mixed. Fully loaded on hills needs forethought and gear changing though! This is a very heavy car for its size, even when empty, so expensive Shell V-power fuel DOES improve performance but not mpg I'm afraid. Insurance + road tax are cheap though. Private ownership is a problem with value dropping fast at only 18 months. I now must change at 2 years instead of 3 to avoid losing serious money, but new, low mileage 105bhp TDI SE demonstrators seem to be plentiful in VW dealerships at up to Β£3000 below list price. I'm pleased that so many What Car? reviews are very enthusiastic about the Golf+; many"official" press reviews have questioned the need for a 'bigger' Golf, but the car really does work, with loads of space, large boot and wonderful sliding rear seats to maximize luggage capacity. High seating gives a great view of the road and base model equipment is generous. I added auto lights, wipers and self dimming mirror with a centre armrest, vents and 12v socket, all for Β£220 extra. Now all this is included in the Luna spec. but at a price.

John Stewart, West Lothian, October 2nd 2007

S FSI 5dr

This car is not as good looking as the Golf but almost as good a drive. The higher position can be a bonus for the driver but the A-pillar does annoy me at times, restricting the view when turning right. Petrol consumption can be only average if the car is pressed, averaging about 34mpg. Engine power is only just adequate for this size of engine pulling the increased weight. The bonus is that it does feel like a bigger car than its Golf-sized body, and the extras do count.

RAY THOMAS, mIDLOTHIAN, September 28th 2007

SE FSI 5dr

This is our second VW Golf. It's good to drive, and we have not seen less than 50mpg by my calculations, not the car's computer. We tour France every year and find it comfortable. Our only complaints are that it needs a central armrest for long trips on Continental motorways, and the engine noise is excessive and needs more sound deadening. I will buy another one next time.

HARRY BRIAN LEONARD, DURHAM, July 28th 2007

Sport TDI PD 5dr

The doors shut with a reassuring thud and there is plenty of head, arm and legroom. Our salesman was unable to estimate servicing costs, so I presume they will be high? The side mirrors are too chunky to tuck in flush, and the red computer display is too small for me unless I wear my reading glasses. I like the CD system and the cruise control which I have not had before, and it's very handy. We bought on 31/3/07 - no problems yet. Build quality is impressive and better than the Renault Scenic and Citroen Picasso we looked at first. We're getting fuel economy in the mid-50s.

Michael Richard MATTHEWS, Durham, June 3rd 2007

SE TDI PD 5dr

I'm on my fourth one as a company car - and I cannot say a wrong word. Fuel economy is excellent - the car achieves 60mpg regularly even during rush hour. It's a very comfortable car even on long journeys. There's massive space for rear passengers, too, and excellent storage pockets all over the place. Not once have I had any problem with any of the four - I'm looking forward to number five!

Mike Collins, Angus, May 23rd 2007

Luna TDI PD 5dr

The car computer is excellent. Fuel economy is a great surprise - I have got 51mpg overall since day one (it has now done over 7000 miles). On a trip between Devon and London I got 64mpg - absolutely staggering! On my initial road test, I was a bit anxious about the forward vision due to the combination of the A-pillar, quarterlight and wing mirror, but I have got used to this now. It's only an irritation at roundabouts. If I have to nit-pick, then I would say the height of the wing mirrors is wrong - it coincided exactly with the up-and-over door mechanism of modern estate garages, so the effect is to require you to drive very carefully through an opening less than three centimetres spare each side. If the mirrors had been lowered about three centimetres I could drive confidently into my garage at speed with almost ten centimetres spare each side! Altogether, it's a lovely car.

John Norfolk, Devon, March 15th 2007

Sport TDI PD 5dr

Well, we've had this car for a month now and are having lots of fun so far. Originally, I was going for a Golf GT but preferred the extra headroom in the Plus. Mine is in shadow blue which in my view is the best colour. There is plenty of torque to play with, although I feel the handling is a little soft for GT specification. The brakes are very good with little of no fade after a session on the B-roads. The interior is pretty to look at, especially in the dark... the mother-in-law said 'it looks like a space-ship in here... very nice'. The door plastic is a little on the cheap side but everywhere else is decent. I particularly like the cooler function in the glovebox. The feel and look of the steering wheel is nice but I paid extra for the aluminium GT badge insert to finish it off. The extra headroom really makes a difference and the rear can sit three adults with ease. The boot space is smaller than I expected, although there is a compartment beneath the boot floor. Once removed there is enough depth. The exterior looks more aggressive than the Golf hatch - the small touches like the rear LED light and front headlights stand out more, along with the wider-looking front wings. The panels are fitted well and the doors close with a reassuring feel. I will eventually get a set of Eibach lowering springs and a bigger set of wheels to finish it off the way I want it, but it's a very capable car in standard form.

kenneth chau, east dumbartonshire, February 23rd 2007