BMW 3 Series Coupe (98 - 07) Owner reviews

Cd M Sport 2dr

My 2006 320cd is probably the best car I've ever owned. Refinement is good, although the 2.0 litre diesel is not the quietest lump in the world. That fact, coupled with fat 18" tyres, makes it surprisingly noisy on motorways. Power (150 bhp) is sufficient, although it's a heavy car, due to the level of equipment built in. Mine has the SatNav/TV option, but the Nav doesn't 'do' postcodes at all; bizarre ! I bought mine with about 100k on the clock and it's now done 180k. The only (recent) problem I've had with it in all those miles, was a secondary fuel pump (Bosch; Β£130 + fitting). Apart from that, it's a great car, looks stunning in 'Sparkling Graphite' and has never let me down; just don't try a rwd BMW in the snow ! Never had any turbo issues, although the EGR has needed a good de-carbon and the inlet flaps were removed during a routine service as a precaution. Economy is not a strong point. I mix some London with much more longer distance motorway driving and get about 43 mpg. One of the best looking & best built BMW's ever made, in my humble opinion.

Iain Mair, Kent, September 9th 2013

i SE 2dr

The 335i isn't a choose for people who want a car that will give them Nissan Leaf type MPG. Its more of a car you buy with your heart than your head, but as long as you go into ownership with that in mind then you should be fine. I average 28.1 mpg on 2/3 motorway, 1/3 village and town driving. I wanted a manual box without iDrive (Most 335 are auto but thats not me, I don't like iDrive and the cabin looks better without the double hump IMHO). I have been surprised at how docile the engine can be at low revs around town. But thats not the reason I bought the car. I have found myself turning off the arterial roads whilst on business trips just to have a quick fix of smaller, less populous roads before re-joining the main carriageway a little later. If you choose the same course of action then you'll get a great reward of a car that feels truly planted and extremely rapid when pushed. Positives? It's great as a car for getting the family about in, albeit two doors only in its lovely coupe form. Luggage capacity is fine, if not huge. MPG is acceptable, though with fuel continuing to rise it must become a consideration for none company expensed owners ... and performance when the wife and kids are out of the car is scintillating! It would be very easy to loose your license just getting a bit carried away for a very short space of time. Negatives? The bonnet is quite low and suffers from stone chips quite readily. Over 115 there is cabin noise. And the neighbours all want

Richard Burkitt, April 18th 2012

d SE 2dr

Owned for 3 years and 52k miles. Bubbling alloys, changed 2 of them under warranty. 54mpg average. Stop start fine. Changed away from runflats to Falken tyres and a tyre repair kit. Β£95 road fund licence. Cheap to insure. Cheap to run. Serviced at local garage now warranty expired. No significant issues, needed reprogramming within warranty, some rattles from seatbelt dispenser. Aircon seems to need recharging every year at cost of Β£78. Nice cheap motoring.

adam livett, February 22nd 2012

i M Sport 2dr

I have a 325i M Sport Auto Coupe as a temporary lease car, the engine, power delivery and sound is very good, looks nice and I am getting used to the small steering wheel, clear and simple instrumentation. Poor economy, 24 mpg for such a small car is not for this age. Small Fuel tank Ridiculous to get in and out of in a parking space. Road noise from the tyres is significant but only to be expected with the Big wheels and tyres, look great but at a huge expense in comfort, tram lining can be alarming. Current generation E220 diesel with the AMG kit and 7 speed auto is frankly awesome. Much better drive and comfort, my choice any day.

Mark Thompson, West Sussex, February 7th 2012

i M Sport 2dr

After having driven Audi a4 2.0 tdi s- line for 4 years needed a change and glad I did . This engine is not for the real speed merchants out there but provides ample driving pleasure with good mpg . I thought the audi would take some beating but I think I might be hooked already after about 5 days driving this car .

iain gray, midlothian, October 4th 2011

Ci 2dr

I traded in my Mitsubishi for this one and it was a big mistake. The car had 60 k on it ( my old Lancer had 140 k when I swapped it didn't have a single problem) and the first thing for me to deal with were warped brake discs caused by sticky calipers which I had to replace all together along with braking pads. Shortly afterwards harmon cardon sound system faied alongside with cyclone valve. BMW $tealer replaiced it for 1800 (!) €. Then it were multiple problems including rear and front bushings, window stuck - had to replace window regulators, gearbox problem. But the stellar thing was when a right front coil spring broke on a straight road. Also had problems with doors refused to unlock , BMW $tealer wanted to replace whole GM5 module for 700€ but I figured out that it were 2 relays that needed to be replaced for 40 bucks (Siemens relays sucks on BMW). Again similar relay fail on viper. Apart from that engine goes to limp mode on a cold start and I figurer out that It is a Vanos problem. I managed to trad in this piece of junk for new Mazda6 and I so releived now. I will never again come near German car. Overplriced piece of junk they are!

Dimon na, May 8th 2011

d M Sport 2dr

I traded in my 06 320 d m sport coupe for the new model in nov 07 and couldnt be happier. Previous model was petrol and manual which was a chore/bore to drive. New diesel auto is a dream. Tested the 330 d coupe also and difference in performance is negligable bearing in mind the huge price differential between the two. BMW Blackheath were supplying dealer, great staff and customer service (although not surprising given i bought two cars within 6 months of each other!). Performance is great, 175 bhp and loads of torque to power away from the lights in 2nd gear..great spec and comfort and lots of admiring looks in sparkling graphite and 19inch wheels. Tested Mercs and Audi too but nothing for the younger guy about town. Previous Audi A3 sport TDI was a bag of spanners, blown head gasket and two radiators within first 18 months at 15,000 miles, having paid Β£450 for the first service..sorry to the guy that bought it! Only gripe if any with this car is the run flat tyres, or more specifically the cost in replacing them. A rogue screw on a rear tyre cost me and eye watering Β£288 with car having only done 6,000 miles, ouch!!

Gavin Wilson, February 1st 2009

Cd M Sport 2dr

Isnt that bad a car to drive really but if you've kids think again. Boot isnt practical for shopping and buggy at same time. After 60,000mls something BMW service centre doesnt tell you is the crank seal breather needs replaced and also needs oil done and filter changed every 7,000mls from then on in too. Crank sealer breather needs changed every second service. If you dont do this guess what you run the risk of blowing the turbo. Nasty!!!! I didnt replace mine and she slightly went over service of 15,000mls and turbo blew. Car was out of action for at least 6wks until I located a turbo. BMW approved but from another stockist. BMW have a tendency to stick the arm in when it comes to buying parts of them. My advice is if you like or want one make sure you've a big wad of cash or a very rich daddy.

Donna Murray, Down, January 29th 2009

i SE 2dr

Like other owners here I wanted a fun, fast car for everyday use and this car is certainly that. The handling and acceleration are very impressive, it is quiet, solid, comfortable and very fast. On a European tour, (3000 miles in two weeks), we averaged 33mpg inspite some alpine passes and childish windows down tunnel trashing. There was an irritating door pillar rattle which threatened to drive us insane but BMW managed to silence it eventually. Our car was well equiped but didn't have the stereo upgrade which is probably a must because the standard setup is poor. Nor did we have sat nav which is worth the exorbitant option price because you'll see almost all of the value returned when you come to sell it. Which brings me on to depreciation. Our car was Β£42k new with options and we paid Β£23.5k second hand, 16k miles 17 months old. They're sub Β£20k now and that is a bargain. Final point. Don't get the auto. if you want to waft about buy a 5 series.

Robert H, January 29th 2009

i M Sport 2dr

I test drove the 335i SE variant initially but someone beat to that car and the following one. An m sport variant became available and I bought it sight unseen - 6 months old - an ex demonstrator with 5K miles on the clock. Picked it up 2 weeks ago and my only concern was the reader reviews of the m sport saying the suspension was harsh. 2 weeks and 2000 miles later and I can safely say those fears were unfounded. I wanted an out and out sports car and that's what I got, with the added benefit of 4 proper seats. The acceleration really could not be much more impressive, the refinement and cabin are excellent and when in the mood it would only take a matter of minutes to lose my licence! Added to that and the suspension is better than I could have wished for - a firm ride and feel for "sporting" occasions and smooth and comfortably when in a quieter mood. If you are looking for a car with 997 / TVR pace but want to transport 3 additional adults or children in comfort than look no further - I really cannot recommend this car enough. The auto version brings the additional fun of the "flappy paddles" and I am averaging in the region of 30mpg, insurance premiur for myself and another named driver of under Β£500 for the year for 12,000 miles. Without doubt the best decision I have ever made in my car buying history - I am travelling everywhere with a huge grin on my face that takes several hours to get rid of once out of the car.......

Richard Fuller, January 25th 2009

i [3.0] M Sport 2dr

Had the car 3 months after trading in my 130i and find it a much better ride and looker than the 130 if a little down on performance! Regularly get low 30's mpg around town and up to 40 on a run. Had to search around for one with a manual gearbox leather and sat-nav but it's well worth the wait just need that re-map now!

Alan Coombes, Avon, October 24th 2008

i SE 2dr

I drive a 328i coupe which is half way between the 325i and 330i with 230hp. I wish the BMW offered US drivers a similiar choice with their engines as they do back home in England. The 328 is however a superb car, I have owned mine for over 1 year now and it is simply the best car I've owned. The service here in the US is free for 4yrs/50k so it hasn't cost a penny to service. The tyres are another story. Slow leak, rapid leak and two tyre bulges forced me to replace all of them at a cost of $1500 or 700 quid. Ouch. That is the one thing I don't like about the car is the RFT and the rough ride. I wish that BMW would address the universal hatred for these type of tyres. Overall great handling, performance, space, practicality, good mileage, you can have it all..

Ryan Lashley, California, October 22nd 2008

Cd M Sport 2dr

I owned a couple of E30s in the past and after reading reviews, had a desire to try the E46 model. Certainly not disappointed. Fantastic handling and refinement with the 6-speed 2litre diesel, excellent build quality (had a Mazda RX-8 at the same time - the BMW is in a different league) and 43mpg, mixed driving from a 150BHP engine. The seats in the motorsport are simply brilliant, too - I have a back problem which other cars caused major grief to, but I can drive this all day and be fresh as the proverbial daisy at the end of it. Immense! Reasonable insurance costs, too. Had the turbo changed under warranty (common fault apparenty) and dealerships a bit hit-and-miss for customer service. However, I rate this as easily the best car I have ever driven (inc the RX-8!) and I would have no hesitation recommending it to another buyer. Try one - you'll love it!!

Adrian Flint, Ceredigion, October 20th 2008

i M Sport 2dr

Experienced problems from the start. Had to replace 3 tyres (19" wheels) in last 6 weeks and the car has suffered from various other problems including a passenger seatbelt handover that works when it likes, problems with the acceleration and so far three visits to BMW, two software upgrades and a breakdown (roadside assistance took 3 hours to arrive and the replacement car was a Vauxhall Zaferia). Software upgrade means my mobile phone handset no longer works with the bluetooth. Customer service has been terrible - they don't know the meaning of the word.

Matthew Hirst, Lancashire, October 17th 2008

i SE 2dr

Hi, I bought a 335i Coupe yesterday in space grey and I'm made up with it. Obviously I've only had it a day... but I've spent my entire day off - driving around in it and I am still smiling now! I normally think Turbo'd cars are cheating and prefer high revving, NA power engines but the 335i on the test drive felt so superb and even better now the salesmans not sat next to me. I've spent about 2/3 months researching and comparing various choices of coupes and even hot hatches to find one that ticked every box. I love the design of this engine. A solid straight six, with two small turbos that really do get rid of turbo lag that I hate so much!!! To sum up, I would say it is similar power and drive to an e46 m3, without the diabollical MPG, the sound of the engine from a 335i even at cruising speeds is fantastic let alone when you find room to give it some stick.- The interior is also far better than old BMW's too. Try it for yourself and you will see what I mean, I am so glad I chose this car!

jimmy Conners, merseyside, September 23rd 2008

Ci 16V 2dr

Bought new March 03 import from Denmark (full Uk spec - only 2 years warranty but saved approx Β£2500 on UK price).Titanim silver , 17 inch alloys and black nappa lether. Now done 104000 miles without major problems - rear suspension replaced at 80000 miles. Only issue was rear view mirror beacame loose (knocked off)- dealer advised required new mirror AND windscreen (integral fixing) over Β£800 in total. However managed to reattach and stays on if not moved!. Still looks good and drives well, overall been a very good car.

martin collier, West Yorkshire, September 9th 2008

d SE 2dr

Overall I've been delighted with this car, especially the economy, averaging 60mpg over 22,000 miles, (from brim to brim testing, not the readout wich says 64 mpg) and with an auto box, driven very gently! The run flats do affect the ride a little, bump and road noise, but not detrimentally. Upgraded HiFi sounds good when volume is higher. Business nav is a mistake, as you can't enter 4 digit postcodes, so you end up putting in destinations with the map pointer.Go for the Professional. Two glitches - hesitant fuel flow, dealer solved painlessly by oiling a butterfly switch, and new software upgrade. Alarm went off when locking, solved by new tilt sensor. Cooper Cobhams Service department were excellent. First Service likley to be due at a lengthy 25,000 miles

Adrian Planer, Surrey, August 11th 2008

d M Sport 2dr

I bought this car new to replace a 1995 Toyota Celica which was fun but ancient. I looked at and rejected the Audi A5 and the Mercedes CLK. I love this car. Wonderful to look at and to drive. I agree that the ride can be a bit harsh on less than perfect road surfaces, but it holds the road so well I do not care. Build quality is first rate and although I have only covered 800 miles there have been no teething troubles. I went for the auto and leather plus a few other extras but avoided the sat nav (my Garmin is probably better) and bluetooth (in car phones are a menace hands free or not). Performance is terrific from this engine and will get better once loosened up. A great car!

Roger Fairweather, July 14th 2008

i SE 2dr

Looking to replace my 645 I looked at Audi.First the TT, which was too small and then an A5 which was good except for the severe off-set pedals which were hopeless. So back to BMW and the 3 coupe. The Diesel was OK if you like the 4500 rev limit and smelly fuel but my soul craves revs. So the 335 auto was the best for me.As I don't have an image problem and I'm happy with my 'manhood' the auto is fine,in fact it's so good I would say it renders manuals almost obsolete in normal driving.If you want economy buy a 2ltr Diesel.If you want thrills and performance for much less than M3 money buy one of these. Downsides are the usual runflat issues and big wheels.On anything less than baby bum smooth roads, the ride is busy.Smaller wheels and 'real' tyres solve this but BMW should look at this & not expect owners to spend more money to have a decent ride.i-drive and favourite buttons are fine once it's set up.Fuel consumption is right foot sensitive.32 on a steady run 22 on a blast. It will never be as well built as previous BMW's (the E39 5 series was fantastic) but it's satisfactory.The engine at full tilt is worth the purchase price alone.

Philip Taylor, Cheshire, June 25th 2008

d M Sport 2dr

It's out with my Porsche Boxster, to be replaced by this 330d M Sport Coupe. After six months of ownership, I love it! This car is awesome. Performance, even after switching from the Boxster, is superb. Road holding is taut, and I just can’t find fault with the the driving experience - all that torque on tap is brilliant. You have to keep an eye on the speedo, though - 100mph feels more like 60mph. There are minor rattle from low down on the dash occasionally, but other than that there have been no problems after 4000 miles. This car looks great, in an understated way. Marks out of 10? I'd say 11.

Barrie Hammond, Dorset, March 28th 2008