Chevrolet MATIZ Hatchback Owner reviews

S 5dr

I've had the Daewoo Matiz 0.8SE model for over 8 years and 58,000 miles. It has never let me down and little has ever gone wrong with it, just normal replacement items such as Catalytic converter, brake pads and shoes etc. Recently replaced the brake pipes due to corrosion. The only 'fault' was a misfiring at low revs which I fixed by replacing the sparkplug leads. Servicing by the local Chevrolet dealer was most unsatisfactory. I can't understand the complaints about handling - mine corners on rails with hardly any roll. The engine is not powerful but what do you expect from 798ccs? It keeps up with the traffic even on the motorway and is comfortable for any length of journey. With 4-up it does struggle quite a bit, so I'd class it as an 'occasional' 4 seater. I'm 6ft and 15 stone and don't find it at all cramped. As a comparison our Kia Picanto is a much more 'luxurious' car and better equipped, but I always choose the Daewoo when I go driving. I sold the Matiz last night, only because after 8 years I want a change. I'd buy another but don't like the new style and I'm no so sure about the quality since Chrysler have taken over.

Denis Campbell, Down, January 3rd 2009

S 5dr

I have the Daewoo version of this car and it's been almost perfect from day one. I bought it second hand when it was four years old (one owner). It's now eight and I've had no serious problems with it. MOTs are getting a bit pricey, but mainly because parts are hard to come by. The only things I've had to replace have been consumables like brake pads and tyres, and the alternator last winter. No problems with the engine or gearbox yet (touch wood). Cabin quality isn't great but it's fine for a budget model. I find it quite spacious for a small car, which is mainly down to the headroom. I can easily get three passengers in. I love driving my Matiz: it’s very direct and almost go-kart-like. Obviously it's not luxurious and bump-free at this price, but I love that - if you're going at speed, you can really feel it and enjoy it. Running costs would have got 5 out of 5 if it weren't for those expensive replacement parts (some of which my garage has had to order in). Tax and insurance are incredibly cheap, and fuel economy is great but getting a bit worse as time goes on. All in all, this is a brilliant car that defies logic. Partly because people have such low expectations of it, they are consistently surprised at how much kit you get for your money, how reliable it's been, and how fast a 0.8 litre engine can go! I'll be after a sportier car once my Matiz has died, but I'm perfectly happy to keep her until she's on her last legs. I will be sorry to see her go.

Leah Boundy, August 13th 2008

SE 5dr

I've just come back from holiday, where I was unfortunate enough to have one of these as a hire car, and I have to say this is truly THE worst car I have ever driven and I've driven some rubbish in my time. The exterior feels like it's made of tin cans and the interior, well, a kinder egg comes to mind. I would not want to be in a crash in this car! The gear change is hit-and-miss, akin to stirring porridge; the steering feels as if it's connected to the wheels via rubber bands, the lean whilst cornering at anything more than the most pedestrian of speeds is terrifying or exciting depending on your point of view - going round a corner at speed is like a ride at Alton Towers. Everything feels as though it's connected via rubber bands and brake cables from a cycle. I'm convinced the brakes too must come from a bike - stopping quickly, is again, a terrifying experience. I've never been in a car where one can hear the fuel pump working - wheezing petrol from the tank to the engine every time I put my foot down. Although it is amazing that one can hear anything over the din of the noisiest, roughest engine since the demise of the 2CV. It may be cheap, but it's anything but cheerful. Does anyone need a brand new car this much? Surely, far better, not to mention safer, to invest in a better second-hand car.

Hugo Grieve, July 28th 2008

SE 5dr

I was due to hire this car for a few days, but after the first evening, I had to swap it. There was nothing wrong with the car regarding faults, it's just that it's such a poor car. The interior feels thin and brittle, the gearchange is like spooning runny honey and the steering wheel is nearly vertical with no adjustment available. The Matiz does have good headroom, but because it's narrow, shoulder room is tight and makes for a cosy set up between the driver and passenger. Power is adequate around town, but pathetic as soon as you need to drive above 55mph. In summary, buy a nearly new Yaris or Corsa. If you have to have brand new, try a C1/107/Aygo.

Aaron Spain, ., July 22nd 2008

SE 5dr

Surprisingly roomy compact car, very cute so really a girlie car, getting about 60mpg but I don't drive like a maniac. mostly extra urban miles. Comfy seats with good adjustability, very quiet engine but plenty of power for overtaking. Will definately buy another.

Jacqui Lamb, Moray, July 17th 2008

SX 5dr

This is going to be difficult to say in 1500 characters, much like the difficulty "all you can eat" buffets have accomodating my appetite, but here goes: I bought this car under the impression that it was roomy inside. All I can tell you is that I was lied to. The cars ride is very stiff which is surprisingly to my liking as I like a rough ride. The suspension isn't too brilliant. I have had it replaced on the driver's side 3 times in the last week alone. Its certainly awkward and a squeeze getting in as my stomach beeps the horn all the time. This prompted me to write to Cheverolet asking them to install a removable steering wheel - I have not had a reply as yet. I have also had to call the emergency services to get me out a couple of times as gastric gases rapidly accumulated to cause my belly to swell furthermore and leave me wedged in my seat. I have problems making left turns at speed because the car feels like it's going to roll like Free Willy at Sea World. The engine also struggles when the car is faced with an incline of 3 degrees or more. I did once end up taking on a hill at speed, but ended up rolling back down again as it couldn't handle it. My problematic weight is no comparison to this problematic car. I am tired of avoiding speed bumps, hills and left turns.

Kiefer Sculthorpe, June 11th 2008

SE 5dr Auto

I have to say i am really pleased with this little car, i have just come back from our local dealer and he was very plesent and nice to me , the car is cute as can be inside and out, of course it's most proberly not for a man, but there is alot of head room inside and legroom for such a tiny car!!!, and with a pop up sunroof who could ask for more , a good robust little car as the other reviewer said and i agree!!!! 10/10!!!

Debbie Petherick, surrey, June 2nd 2008

SE+ 5dr

cheap too run but watch out with spare parts not cheap not broke down yet chevrolet dealers rude some parts you can wait up too 7 days but a nice little robust car

paul lister, hertfordshire, April 12th 2008

SE 5dr

It's cheap to buy but the good news ends there. The engine hunts around 2000rpm and the fuel economy is dreadful for such a small car, round about 40 mpg driven gently in the country. The Chevrolet dealer seems to think that's OK. It's needed two emissions control valves so far in its 30 month life, under warranty thank goodness. The understeer and body roll are pronounced, but you can get 4 adults in it. At least the insurance is cheap but would I recommend one? Not a chance.

Michael Sadler, Lincoln, March 31st 2008

S 5dr

I bought this car for my daughter (aged 18), but she decided it wasn't quite cool enough, so her boyfriend got her a Citroen Saxo. So as this has lower mileage than my car, I decided to keep it for myself. I absolutely love it - it's nippy, easy to park, cheap to run. It only takes about Β£20 per week in fuel, compared to my old car which took about Β£40 a week. It's got all the extras, AC, Electric windows, central locking etc. Only problem is that the seal around the aerial has eroded and is now leaking slightly. Apart from that, it's great.

Susan Williams, Kent, March 27th 2008

SE 5dr

I have rented one of these as my trusty 10 year old Skoda gets a new clutch. It doesn't look too bad, the engine revs nice and smooth and it has a good Blaupunkt Radio CD player. The good news stops there. I don't like where they have placed the speedometer it's like they have seen cars like the Yaris and Mini and decided to place the speedo in the middle of the dashboard. even worse it isn't angled towards the driver. There is no engine temp gauge so you don't know if it's about to overheat or not. In town the car handles fine but on the motorway the bends have to be taken with caution as the lean makes you think it's about to roll. The gearchange doesn't feel sharp and the seat adjustment is fiddly. Equipment sure you get Air con and elec front windows you also get 1 electric mirror. In fairness for standard transport it does the job but so will a Felicia or Micra. Sure they are older and lack air con and a new number plate. They are a lot cheaper to buy and better to drive. I'm just glad I only have this one for a few more days.

prajesh solanki, greater manchester, January 27th 2008

SE 5dr

WE bought one in 2005 since then even at 50 MPH driving it gives very poor MPG. The dealer is most unhelpful and would not contact Chevrolet. I obtained a rolling road printout of the fault, the knock sensor. As it does not rate in their terms as a fault because no code appears nothing is done and Chevrolet have washed their hands of the car. It is now going to a legal battle.

William Dickson, MidLothian, November 25th 2007

SE+ 5dr

bought new in september , for the first 6 months it was fine , then it developed an intermittent engine fault . its now been back to the dealers four times , each time they cant find a fault , also they are unhelpfull , the last time they had car for 1 week without contacting me . ive finally given in and going to trade it in . had daewoo matiz before , that was a much better built car . dont buy one, theres better out there .

peter warner, warwickshire, October 14th 2007

SE+ 5dr

I bought a nearly new Daewoo Matiz 2 years ago for my wife and found the car to be very reliable for the money. We wished to replace my car and without hesitation we went to Chevrolet Newtown Motors in Cwmbran to enquire about another one and found the service offered by the garage fantastic. The revised Chevrolet Matiz model is everything the Deawoo was but more refined. I would certainly recommend it however. The boot space is a little small but what do you expect from a micro car? The car is terrific around towns and cities, especially for parking, and can hold its own on the motorway.

Gareth Hobby, October 2nd 2007

SE 5dr

Practical round town. Only 32 mpg on long motorway journeys - due to running at over 4000 revs I guess. Great load carrier when rear seats folded can easily carry a washing machine or all my sons uni stuff. It's like a little van. Stereo is great but aerial corrodes into mount quickly so be sure to whack some grease into the threads on mount. My first one was written off when a guy slammed into the back of me at 40mph. I had some whiplash damage but I thought that the car stood up really well to an impact of that magnitude. Would definitely have another one.

Hilary Glover, East Sussex, May 7th 2007

S 5dr

i have a daewoo se+ that is 5 years old with 107000 miles on the clock, and have had very little problem with it,and would hope that the new chevrolet that i am looking at would be as good,

john dally, hampshire, March 26th 2006

SX 5dr

This car relaced the Daewoo Matiz - I regret the day I parted with that. The Chevrolet has a noisy engine, sounds like a diesel taxi, the gearbox is clumsy and noisy, it has a useless CD/radio, the driving position is poor, and the clutch pedal travel is poor. I have 750 miles on the counter (there's no real odometer, just a silly LCD display), fuel consumption is very poor and there's a lack of power. I would never buy this make again - I have owned dozens of cars this is the worst ever. What do I like about it? Well, it's got a good-sized boot and is easy to park.

R S, March 19th 2006

S 5dr

This car is comfortable, pleasant, reliable and roomy. It's very enjoyable to drive and economical. It's the best car I have ever owned.

William Evans, Gwynedd, September 22nd 2005

SE 5dr

It's easy car to drive, good on fuel and has excellent kit for the price. The 1000cc engine keeps up well on the motorway and with other traffic. I would buy another car from Chevrolet. I went for the air-con and this is very good. Also, it's very easy to park. The electric windows only work with the key in the ignition but I have driven other cars and this is the same (eg Ford Mondeo). I don't see why you need electric door mirrors on a car this narrow. That said, this car somehow seems bigger on the inside than the outside. There's lots of storage inside. The remote central locking is great and on a five-door car is a must. I looked at buying a Kia Picanto or a Matiz, the Matiz car seems better on build quality (to me, the Picanto looks and feels cheap) and it won on the test drive. (The Picanto bounced around corners.) It has very good visibility - the high-up driving position makes it feel like you're driving a mini MPV. In summary: it's great car for the money, and a good package (with free servicing).

Ian Hall, South Gloucestershire, September 11th 2005

SE 5dr

I had nothing but trouble with this car since the day that I bought it. My main problem was with the power-assisted steering belt - it was constantly coming loose. As soon as I had spent money to have it tightened, a couple of days later, it would come loose again. Daewoo (as it used to be called) and AA could not find any problems with the car. To have it fixed, I would have had to have the problem investigated, pay for that and who knows if it would have been properly fixed. I would not recommend this car to anyone.

Joan McKenzie, Merseyside, February 20th 2005