Chrysler Grand Voyager Owner reviews

CRD LX 5dr Auto

I am currently driving one of these vans in the US and Canada and am quite impressed. With a big 3.6 L engine it gives me 29 mp US gallon which must equate to 35 to the UK gallon. So when I saw the whatcar review I thought I'd add my comment. This car is made for US roads as the handling is a bit wobbly on bends. It has masses of space and is well equipped. I love the electric doors and tailgate and the rear view camera is brilliant as it has no parking sensors. Performance is adequate for the US. The most amazing thing is the price: 30K USD vs 35K Pounds Sterling! I think we in UK are being ripped off somewhat

David Benstead, Hertfordshire, July 30th 2012

CRD Limited 5dr Auto

I am also having the same problem with the engine cutting out leaving you with no steering. I love the space in this car and the level of comfort it provides for all of us. We have done several road trips in it taking it to Venice, The Alps and to the Dordogne on a camping trip. It was totally reliable and if it wasn't for this potentially disastrous fault I would have no problem rating it as the best MPV we have had. However it has gone in to the dealers twice to have the problem rectified but they haven't acknowleged that this is a known problem. As I write it is there now which is great because it means we are not driving around in fear of an accident.

Lysbeth Robinson, Glos, February 20th 2009

V6 Limited 5dr Auto

Drove it for 3 weeks - 5 adults and 2 children. Loved the acres of space but to be honest my 8 year old Sharan rides better and has more room.

Douglas Reid, January 28th 2009

CRD Limited 5dr Auto

2008 2.8 CRD Limited Great car for the family! However i'm having the same problem as Luke Pearman from Essex(below).Engine cutting out leaving me with no steering,Very scary, my wife won't drive the car anymore. Coming down a mountain road,engine cut out while going into a bend sending me across the road into the path of an oncoming car and almost into the side of the mountain. This is the third time in a year, Chrysler Switzerland(Zurich)being very unhelpful at the moment and not taking it seriously. The drive is good although the diesel engine is a little noisy.Very comfortable for driver and passengers and the entertainment system is great.Love all the electric doors and tailgate.

Stephen Doherty, January 26th 2009

CRD Touring 5dr Auto

Got the new Grand Voyager for my family via the motobility scheme for my disabled sons as they both need lots of room for buggys and lifting seats for special belts etc. Searched other MPVs as had a Zafira before and it was just too small, this came out on top, paid a huge excess for this model 2.8d thinking id made the right choice. Love the space, easy to store seats, electric opening boot/side doors, handy when hands full!! plenty of cabin room, all the extras inside,(flip down tv screens, rear AC, almost plane cabin like!) Downside, car currently in the dealership garage again!! 3rd breakdown since July!! 1st time the mechanic wiggled some fuses and it magically came back to life, this time the engine throttle control? now gotta wait for needed parts etc, its so electrical its daft. New computer key fob that is chipped to match car but ive found it doeant always connect properly = car wont start!! Not good for me with 2 autistic kids with zero patience on a freezing cold day! If tyre pressures alter slightly the steering is affected also. Eats fuel like a starving hamster, costs Β£95 for a tank!! did a run 500 mile run and was alot better = tank and a quarter.. I can only afford Β£20 a time, which fills only a quarter tank. Round town etc just drinks it!! Am currently searching for a diff model/car as i cannot trust it now and will be exchanging it asap!! Sorry chrysler! im gutted!

Lindsey Lester, Norfolk, December 5th 2008

V6 Limited 5dr Auto

i needed a big mpv for versatility and i settled it between this and the ssangyong rodius and immediatley i found this car a much better alternative i went for the 3.6 petrol which accelerates much better than the 2.8 diesel, but my lord does it go through the fuel at the moment we havent got past 20mpg but we live in hope and i mite get thr one day..... maybe the grand voyager doesnt drive paticularly well and the stearing doesnt help as i find it rather vague, it rolls in the corners but does have a comfortable ride (in my opinion ) equipment the kids love this car, with the swivel leather seats, lorry loads of space and those all important flip down screens, theres buckets of equipment as you expect with an american car, another thing what you expect with an american car is the quality, its better than an average american car but the interior feels flimsy in places but i think it will stand the test of time as i said before i went for the car because of the vercatilty and you can have a range of seating arrangements and the ' stow n go ' is an excellent idea as with the old model overall your not going to buy a car like this because your a keen driver your going to buy it because you need the space and you mite like a classy image to go with it i expect/hope it will hold its value when i sell it but otherwise there defintley worth ago

Dominic Tomalin, Northamptonshire, September 9th 2008

LX 5dr Auto

This is one of the only cars that can accomodate two adults; four children; a large tri-wheel buggy and other child related paraphanalia. It is also very spacious and comfortable to sit in; the children all love being in it. The only alternatives for large families are: Ford Tourneos and other "minibus" type mpvs; Renault Grand Espace (overpriced); Toyota Previa (also overpriced); dodgy Japanese imports such as the Granvia etc. The grand voyager with the auto box and 3.3 petrol engine is a doddle to drive round town-my wife loves it on the daily school run and it is also excellent for longer journeys. The leather, cruise control, sound system, dual climate, electric driver's seat, front heated seats are all a bonus, but the fit and finish is nowhere near European standards and the driver ergonomics are useless. There are too many fiddly buttons and switches that are not illuminated at night; they simply cannot be found. The steering wheel obscures the main beam icon and other symbols on the display panel. The fuel consumption is woeful around town, although 30+ mpg is achievable with cruise control on a longer run. Our car suffers from the mysterious battery curse--leave a door open for a couple of minutes and you need to get your jump leads out!!!

Peter O'Kane, Essex, August 25th 2008

CRD Limited 5dr Auto

Bought my GV (2006/56 plate) from local Chrysler dealer two weeks ago and initial impressions good. Very well equipped and load bay cavernous with 2nd and 3rd row seats folded into the floor. Just done a holiday run with wife, 3 growing kids and lots of luggage and we were rattling around inside. Fuel economy reasonable cosidering the size - over 30mpg combined on the return run covering both motorways and country roads/hill climbing in Snowdonia. Driving position OK on long runs but armrest adjustment would help comfort. Overall, happy with the purchase after the first 1000 miles. Will see whether I'm as happy after the first service.

Nigel Montgomery, Hampshire, June 30th 2008

CRD Limited 5dr Auto

On my second Grand Voyager, 55 plate. 2.8CRD Ltd. Whilst i do love its appearance and driving position i have had problems with the engine cutting out and leaving it without brakes/steering. It happens at 20-40mph and is very scary. Thankfully the worst sent me over a small roundabout and into hedges/shrubs. Other times handbrake and sheer luck helped me. I am changing to a Ford in a few weeks. It has spent 3 visits and pushing 3 months in the garage to try and find the problem. Although it still judders and makes me uncomfortable. It is novel to have electric doors/tailgate but i have had problems with doors. Sun visor clips just snapped off after adjusting visor and also the lighter flung itself so fast out of the socket it bounced off the handbrake and landed on the floor, but that's being fussy to be fair. I feel sad to get rid of my GV as i have driven them since 99. But Chrysler need to update extras (heated seats/fast open - close windows etc)to reach their customers expectations. Maybe i've been unlucky this time but driving with no brakes and steering it's scary but with my family on board i don't want that thought. I have to say that it is very greedy on fuel and i seem to be forever putting petrol/diesel in. They are a big vehicle and the room inside for both passengers and when seats are flat is superb and wont be beaten.

Luke Pearman, essex, May 18th 2008

CRD LX 5dr

I have owned my Grand Voyager for over a year now and have no qualms about it whatsoever. I have my own mechanic to sort things, if any, out. Even though I check the oil and water frequently, I have never had to put a single drop of water in it, and the odd top up of oil only, which is usual for a diesel car. She drives smoothly and takes corners quite well for a vehicle of its size. The interior is second to none - I like the fact that you don't have to pull the middle seats up to let people in the back, they can just walk through the middle, which makes life so much easier. I am moving abroad shortly, and I shall definately be looking for a left-hand drive Grand Voyager. Overall, it's the best car I've ever had.

alan matthews, south glamorgan, January 22nd 2008

Limited 5dr Auto

I have covered 25,000 miles in 12 months in my second Grand Voyager. My first 1997 Grand Voyager 3.3LE did 174,000 miles and was generally very reliable. My new 2006 model has the excellent Stow & Go seats which none of its competitiors have. So far the car has been completely reliable; nothing has gone wrong, nothing fallen off. Scheduled servicing has been done by a main dealer at reasonable cost. This car does everything I need it to do; carries huge amounts of equipment during the week and quickly converts to a 7 seater to carry a football team at the weekends. Passengers like the reclining seats in all 3 rows, there is plenty of legroom, even in the back row. With 7 people on board there is still plenty of boot space. The 3.3 petrol engine does have high fuel consumption (average 21.8mpg on the onboard computer) but not a lot higher than the 2.8 diesel, is much quieter on the move and has rear air conditioning which is not available on the diesel model. It also has no cambelt to change, which makes up to some extent, for the shorter service intervals on the petrol model. Cruising on the motorway is quiet and effortless. It is not so good on twisty back roads but does quite well considering the car's size and weight. If Chrysler were to fit the excellent Mercedes 3.0l V6 diesel engine to the Voyager it would be the perfect large MPV. As it is, my 3.3 Limited is the next best thing.

Trevor Richards, November 18th 2007

Limited XS 5dr Auto

I bought my 3.3 Limited XS in April 2004. It was exactly a year old with 7500 miles on the clock. Since that day I have no real problems with the car. Cruise control was not working, but the dealer quickly resolved that. I also had a slight electrical gremlin, where the dash seemed to power down sometimes for about for two seconds. This was also quickly fixed by the dealer. I think it was a loose connection. Fuel economy has improved with age. The whole car semed to free up as we passed the 20,000-mile mark. Much of my driving is local, and I was getting 16 miles to the gallon. It's now up to about 17-18. Still appalling. Even if you drive the car as economically as you can, it makes no difference. I tow a caravan with mine. It tows fantastically, but the engine does not have enough torque, and linked to the measly 4-speed gearbox it runs in third gear an awful lot. Fuel consumption with my van and all of the junk I take with me - which is an awful lot - is barely in two figures. It's now time for a change. The Voyager has been great, but to be honest it's boring to drive and it hurts everytime I have to fill the petrol tank. However, I can't find anything else that meets my requirements right now for our holidays and splitting up the kids, so I'm on the edge of buying the 2.8 CRD.

Chris Hill, September 16th 2007

CRD Limited 5dr Auto

Just bought a 2005 2.8 CRD Ltd version with sat nav. Initial impressions are excellent ride, terriffic space and a decent sat nav system. Part exchanged my 807 for this and the 807 was a good car (shame about the dealers though) but taking those seats out was a pain. The stow n' go system is excellent, the seats are easy to fold away and take out when you need them. just come back from collecting 6 people and their luggage from the airport, no problem for this car with loads of boot space even with all seats in use. There has been lots of negative comments on this site so it will be interesting to see how I feel in a years time.

Pat Drew, Bucks, August 27th 2007

Limited XS 5dr Auto

We bought a Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 from new in 2004. This is the most unreliable car I have ever owned and the servicing is expensive, too frequent and appalling (MTB Motors, Warrington - the rudest and worst service/customer care you could possibly imagine). We bought the car for space, practicality (especially the sliding doors and easy access to the rear two seats) and the level of equipment on this model. However, this all pales into insignificance with the continual let down of the build quailty. For example: 1. The electrical systems in all Voyagers drains the battery in minutes (yes minutes). Three other people I know with Voyagers all experience battery draining within minutes of leaving even a single interior light on. Chrysler do not admit the design error but if you have this car you know what I am taking about. 2. Twice the suspension rods have gone - over Β£500 to fix each time. 3. Engine management systems went - Β£1,200 4. DVD - sound does not always work or turn on. Chrylser cannot fix it. 5. Strange noise from front drivers wheel - Chrysler cannot fix it. Fuel consumption is bad at about 16mpg around town. I am about to buy our next family car and while the Chrylser still looks like the right choice (size, practicality) I will not make the same mistake twice. I have test driven most of the rivals and they all beat it hands down. The Mazda 5 looks like the one. Please think twice before buying this car, it really will be a mistake - and a

Neville Roberts, Cheshire, August 12th 2007

CRD Executive XS 5dr Auto

I purchased a Grand Voyager 2.8CRD Signature on 1st March 2007. Firstly I received the car without the tinted windows and sat nav the salesmen had promised and as I did not have it in writing I had to purchase them separately. After a couple of weeks the heating unit kept powering itself on. I thought this was not a big thing and just kept switching it back off. At six weeks the rear door decided to open by itself whilst I was refuelling, nearly jamming my hand in the fuel flap. It eventually retracted and then jammed itself shut, not to work again until the bar was replaced two months later. Then the opposite door started opening whilst in motion, the internal alarm started beeping for no reason and the alarm went off at all hours, day and night. I demanded a replacement from the dealer and got caught in a tangle between them and the manufacturers. Three months on and I am no further forward. Now I've had to contact radio and TV stations to get them to sort out the problems with the car. I wish I'd never bought it - it has caused a lot of stress and anxiety and spends most of its time on the drive as I won't risk members of my family loosing limbs or their lives.

Natalie Drew, West Midlands, July 7th 2007

CRD LX 5dr

bought 2001 new shape,with upgraded leather and side steps.under warranty has had interior carpet replaced(was damaged on delivery),front shocker bushes replaced(rattling on corners),gear box replaced(3rd gear grinding),after gear box replaced on service oil leak from gear box found after 3 year warranty .the dealers would not fix this under warranty but after contacting head office this was done with no charge. recently there was a recall to replace the handbrake mechanism. after recieving the vehicle back the handbrake warning light and abs light came on.the vehicle was returned for inspection and i was informed that the passenger front wheel abs sensor needed replacing. this was done for a charge of Β£130. within a few hours the warning lights reappeared.vehicle was returned and i was told that now the drivers side front abs sensor now needed to be replaced for a charge of Β£200. i took the vehicle to a local mechanic,he simply refitted the existing sensor which is now fine. i am replacing this vehicle with the volvo xc90 as i previosly had a 940 estate,mainly for the backup service provided,as the service provided by chrysler main dealer has been appalling.

vinod rehan, tynewear, May 27th 2007

CRD LX 5dr Auto

Another year has passed since I last reported on my Voyager and nothing has changed as far as reliability etc It has never missed a beat. The interior still looks like it was just delivered and it even still smells new. I can only assume the reason it rates so low in polls is that being an expensive vehicle those that do have problems like to make a lot of noise. My local JCT garage collect the car for the service and bring it back the same day so I cannot even complain about the garage Sure servicing cost are high but are they not for all large cars costing over Β£25K.Thank you Chrysler

Derek Hale, West Yorks, March 21st 2007

CRD Limited 5dr Auto

I have previously owned a Chrysler PT Cruiser with which we had enormous problems, including very unhappy dealings with Head Office. However with the immenent arrival of our fourth child I decided to bury the hatchet and try Chrysler again. We have had the middle range Grand Voyager since March 05 and since then it has broken down 5 times - twice whilst travelling at high speed with small children. Both times, it was due to a 'software' update which was needed. The car itself is well designed (we lurve those sliding doors), comfortable, fantastic for a large family, but the reliability and fuel consumption has been appalling. I would love to find an alternative car in size and capacity as this vehicle is making our lives an expensive misery at times.

Emma Whyman, February 18th 2007

CRD Limited XS 5dr Auto

You may have seen a review from me about my first grand voyager 2.8 CRD LTD. I have just sold this car with 104,000 miles on the clock in 18 months-bad mistake. I have just taken delivery of a new CRD LTD XS. The interior and equipment are great(Multi video & very good Sat Nav)and there the good news ends! The vehicle broke down on the third day of ownership, when a bolt securing one of the pulleys to the block stripped its threads. The dealership informed me that a new one would take 2 weeks to come from the states. I said fine and informed the dealership that they could pay for my loss of earnings for the period and surprisingly, they found a firm locally that could provide the part(It still took 4 days to arrive.) Fuel economy is shocking compared to my old one and the engine is noisier and the gearbox can't decide what gear it shuld be in. There is a smoke screen produced on acceleration, which must be quite unpleasant for people behind. I borrowed my old Voyager back when my new one was being repaired and wondered why I ever sold it-I ntersestingly the new owner of my old one has been in touch and he also has been told that the vehicle does not need a cam belt, by the dealership! Other faults include a failure to engage gears on occasion due to insufficient oil pressure and the misfire continues. Don't buy a Crossfire either-they are total rubbish-I speak from experience!

Martin Bishop, Leicestershire, October 17th 2006

CRD LX 5dr Auto

What a dog this thing is. I hired one for two weeks in Spain from Hertz - they must get a bulk discount from Chrysler. This vehicle at over 70mph on motorways is scary. Oversteer makes if difficult to control. Poor stability in high winds and lurching under heavy braking make it a real handful. At one point, on a long sweeping bend on the A6 motorway near Barcelona, we thought is was going to tip over. The bad handling combined with a NCAP safety rating of only two stars out of five makes this a bit of a high risk for being involved in accidents and receiving serious injury. The auto box is primitive and jerky, the 2.8 diesel pulls well but is noisy, and fuel economy is pathetic at just 14mpg in town and around 28mpg on a run. We get better from our Fiat Ulysse 2.0i petrol auto. Build quality is very poor – there is loose trim, rattles, creeks, half the electrics don’t work properly and the on board computer gets confused. Also, what idiot designed the switch layout and dashboard? Half the warning lights are obscured by the steering wheel and what controls are visible are spread all over the place. On the positive side, the stow-and-go seat is excellent (other MPVs take note), it has a great stereo system and comfy chairs. Overall, do not buy (or drive) this car unless you enjoy being scared half to death, want to spend obscene amounts of money on fuel and enjoy going deaf. Go for a European or Japanese MPV instead.

Patrick King, Berkshire, August 14th 2006