Daewoo Matiz Hatchback Owner reviews

Xtra [ABS] 5dr

I'm not sure why the previous reviewers have been so harsh on the Matiz. This is a fantastic car, whether your a new driver, or just looking for a cheap run-around. OK, there may not be too much boot space, but I find it more than enough for a weekly shop. I recently drove my Matiz from my home in Kent 312 miles to Hartlepool, and it was a perfect ride. For what is essentially a small town car, it performed perfectly on a continuous six-hour journey on motorways. I would recommend this car to anyone. 10 out of 10.

James Johnson, Kent, April 25th 2008

5dr

I had this car as a replacement while the garage was fixing the damage my brother caused to our corsa. To drive it was a nippy car but not one i wanted to be seen in as a 17yr old boy. there are only two good points about the car i can think of off the top of my head they are driving around town the engin was nippy and was well suited, the other being that it had 5 doors where my corsa only has 3. Now for the negatives; there is practically no boot i struggled to get about 8 shopping bags in there and that was a squeese. It seemed to drink petrol, i was sticking a fiver in every other day and i was only going to college or my nans all within a 20 mile radius. The gears! i struggled to get it onto 1st unless the car had stopped which was annoying when creeping with the traffic, reverse kept popping out unless i held the gear stick in place. i realise that this could be just a thing with the car i had but after two weeks it gets on top. also to get the seat into a reasonable position there was a leaver down the side of the seat that it the seat had pressure on it, it would just fling back into the rear seat so should only be done before a journey. The final thing when driving at speed down the bypass the steering got really light and just slight movements on the wheel made the wheels wernt gripping the road which was quite scary being a new driver.

Tomos Jones, September 26th 2006

5dr

I have had a Matiz 0.800 for the last two years. It was lovely to begin with, but I have now been hit with having to replace the screen washer unit (over £70), a new fuel injector (over £125) and new gas exhaust valve (£225), all within three weeks! Awaiting parts is a lengthy business, and having to wait for the agency to fit them seems very slow (7-10 days in my case). The car lacks power going uphill - it's certainly not a car or make I could ever recommend to anybody. I am very disenchanted with Daewoo and would certainly never buy another car from this supplier.

john bernard, cornwall, March 25th 2006

SE+ 5dr

I bought my Matiz last year, 10 months old with 6500 miles from a Chevrolet dealer for £4500, which I thought was a bargain. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law had both recently bought one and I was impressed with the amount of room inside (boot excluded) and equipment (including air-conditioning) for the price. I only needed something small as a second car. The 1.0 is reasonably nippy but is very noisy - especially on the motorway. Economy is adequate - I average about 37mpg for short journeys and up to about 42mpg on long journeys. The handling is fine, but can get a bit scary if you hit a bump when cornering - the back seems to jump sideways. Also, it's not too stable at speed but for a city car, it's perfectly acceptable. Ride can be a bit bumpy with its 13inch wheels, but I've had worse. The gearbox is pretty awkward, especially when cold and has had to have new gear and clutch cables fitted under warranty. Although the materials used inside are cheap, they are well put together and this is one of the most rattle-free cars I've owned (I have had various new Fords, a Renault and a BMW Mini). Dealer service has been OK - the dealer hasn't done anything badly, it just has not gone out of their way to impress. But for the money (including free services), I'm happy enough. I would recommend it to anyone who needs a cheap car for nipping round town.

Stephen Archer, February 14th 2006

5dr

I bought this Daewoo Matiz 0.8 SE+ new in 1999, from a Halfords garage. It has an OK amount of standard kit, it comes with a radio/cassette, front electric windows and driver/passenger airbags. I paid extra for Yellow metallic paint and 13", 3 spoke alloy wheels. The car is best in town and whenever I have had to take it away from the town, the car has struggled, mainly on the motorways, it can't keep up with the traffic all the time, but it is quite comfortable within the speed limit. The car feels safe to drive most of the time but when it has rained be careful because it slides sideways very easily. I like the folding rear seats and i keep them down all the time because the boot is too small without them. The quality of the car is poor, there are lots of rattles and it doesnt feel very solid. The running costs are minimal, the insurance is cheap and it does about 65mpg. The seats are very uncomfortable on long journeys and everybody who goes in the car suffers from back-ache. It is quite expensive for what you get and the depreciation is scary. There are a few good things about the car, it is nippy in town and the running costs are tiny. I would recommend this to anyone who just drives in town all the time and somebody who needs a cheap car to run.

Helen Parry , Cheshire, July 16th 2005

5dr

My wife owned two of these little beauties in succession such was their appeal and reliability and both of them were little gems which provided faithful and economical motoring during their ownership. Build quality is excellent, but panels are thin and easily dinged in car parks when parked next to other careless drivers, so my advice would be park on the edge of car parks and avoid parking next to 3 door cars. Comfy five door access and plush velour seats are standard across the range and the SE+ provides a very generous level of equipment including alloy wheels electric windows and central locking, although dual air bags immobiliser and power steering are standard across the range. Boot space is very limited, but the Matiz never pretends to be anything other than a small town car, but that said it copes well at motorway speeds albeit a little vocal at the higher speeds. Economy and reliability are excellent, keeping running costs to a minimum providing the correct servicing is adhered to and the car is not abused. Both my wife's Matiz's were bought second hand and the mileage was exceptionally low, which tends to be the case with this type of 'town car' so there are lots of decent and competetively priced examples to be found if you look in the right places. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a small car where load space need not be a consideration, but economy and reliability are important.

Warren Home, Cheshire, February 25th 2005

SE+ 5dr

Bullet -proof build quality. Recently took delivery of my second Matiz and it was literally perfect - and I'm pretty fussy about my car's condition. The previous model was near immaculate after 3 years motoring; the trim was as good as when it was bought. The interior is huge - enough for 4 x 6 footers, although not very wide. I can drive in my walking boots - I am 6 ft and 16 stone. Boot space is minimal unless you flip down the rear seats, which gives you a vast platform that swallows washing machines etc. Very little interior storage. The performance is fine - the 0.8 was extremely eager and I revved it up to the max at every gearchange - great fun. It was 2 low geared for clean get-aways at roundabouts. The 1 litre has no trouble pulling away but feels less relaxed above 50 mph. Top speed of both is about 85mph. 44mpg for 0.8; 41mpg for 1.0 litre. Handles ok - lively ride leading to bouncing over large potholes which slows you on B roads. Big bumps absorbed ok so not hard ride. Controls all linear - i.e. you move a pedal or wheel and get exactly the response you expect, without any flat spots or electronic interference. Comfortable ride although 1 litre is generally noisy. Apart from the past dealer problems, I love this car.

Stephen Carter, January 27th 2005

5dr

It's simple and cheap to run and insure, fun to drive (although fairly basic in equipment) and it will carry 4 adults without much trouble. The body fit and finish good and inside plastics are hard but look durable. The seats are quite comfortable and the driving posotion fine for most people. I like it.

William Phillips, October 21st 2004