Fiat Bravo Hatchback Owner reviews

Multijet Active 5dr

I have owned the Bravo for 2 years, bought it when slightly less than 2 years old. The Bravo is one of the best looking cars in it's class. It is also reasonably exclusive as there are not many of them about. The best thing about the car is the engine. Despite only having 105bhp, it loves to accelerate from the slightest throttle pressure. It produces huge amounts of torque from about 1400 rpm. No turbo lag at all. This engine has way more get up and go compared with similar size and power diesel engines I have driven. Fuel economy is excellent, it is possible to get 80 mpg on a cruise. Attention to detail in the cabin is good, with plenty of chrome bits. The 2 speed steering is excellent, 'City' mode is good for parking and slow speed driving, while normal mode is great for driving faster than 30.

Nick Turpin, February 28th 2014

T-Jet Dynamic 5dr

I have had this car 6 months. I bought it because I previosly owned MGzr 160 vvc and a Peugeot 206 GTI so I needed a family car with the same power and this has not disappointed. It looks good and goes well. But even at my age mid 40s insurance is expensive but with the power and equipment it is well worth it. This is my 3rd fiat. I have done long trips on the french motorways and it was a real pleasure. If you drive carefully you can just get 40mpg which I managed recently touring in France but everyday I get 33 mpg. What can I say it is a good car . My previous car was a Mazda 6 which comes nowhere in the equipment stakes or power. I have no regrets its only a shame our roads does not give me a chance to use this car to its full ability. Enjoy it if you purchase one.

Paul heal, SUFFOLK, October 1st 2011

5dr

Wow,some of these reviews have been really negative. All I can say is that you must have been really unluky. I bought my 07 bravo in 08 and have enjoyed owning it. Nice to look at, nice inside. Touch wood, no problems mechanically either.Quibbles? Not many. One is that my dog has to LEAP into the boot as the lip is very high resulting in some surface scratches on the way in (good job he's young and athletic!). The voice command on bluetooth phone dialling doesn't always work, but not a problem to me.The radio knob has to be held in for a long time to turn the radio off. It's a bit niggly at starting on ice cold mornings (although, strangely, 3 days covered in snow didn't bother it at all, starting immediately).All very minor stuff which, for me anyway, doesn't detract from the car itself. What do I love about it? The way the spotlights come on when I turn a corner (shallow, I know), the way the radio gets louder or quieter the faster or slower I go, the 6th gear which the dealer told me I'd never use, living on a small Island with only one dual carriageway, but which I in fact use all the time. And I also love the way it looks, and still think "what a nice looking car" 3 years on. My partner is over 6ft and loves to drive it, giving plenty of leg room and head height. Personally,it's a purchase I'm glad I made and would recommend one.

Paula Barrett, Isle of Wight, March 27th 2011

Multijet 165 Sport 5dr

Loved the style & was hoping the build would have improved having owned an old style Bravo that was forever in the dealers. Unfortunately it has been in & out of the dealers repeatedly, ASR errors, various electrical gremlins and DPF faults that made the car judder like an old tractor. As in other reviews brakes are poor & can induce heart stopping moments when allied with the sloppy handling. Avoid at all costs.

David Munday, March 8th 2011

Multijet Active Eco 5dr

I've recently been looking round at a few cars with the idea of looking to save money in running costs. The Fiat Bravo 1.6 Diesel seemed to fit the bill, and so I have been out and test driven one. First off, I was very impressed with the way that the car drives. Its definitely a car that you can 'chuck' into corners, and have fun with. The steering is very well weighted and reasonably communicative. The ride is generally very comfortable, and the road noise at motorway speeds is very little indeed. One word of caution that slightly ruins the driving experience - the driver's seat. It lacks under knee support and the backrest seems to have a slightly odd shape to it that takes some getting used to. Performance from the engine is very good though, and in fact pulls more like a petrol than a diesel - very impressive. If the official figures are to be believed it will be very cheap to run. Β£35 a year road tax also helps. The interior is well put together, and the soft touch plastics on the upper dash are particularly impressive. Lower plastics are harder, but still ok. Space inside is reasonable, rather than outstanding, the dash in front of the passenger cutting down on leg room too much for them. If you can get a good deal on one of these, it would certainly seem like a very worthwhile buy. Definitely at the top of my purchase list, at least for now.

Fredrik Rich, West Yorkshire, January 9th 2009

Multijet Active Eco 5dr

A very acceptable car from Fiat. Quality of finish is good as is the interior space. As for the fuel economy, there is no way you can get the advertised figures. The best that can be achieved is 50 mpg and that is with the best possible conditions and driving very gently. Also the steering is very light even without the girly button turned on. Another down side is the fact that if you do not pay the RRP for the car you only get a 3 year warranty (this is not a well known fact) but I rang Fiat Uk and was told this!

Paul Sampson, Northumberland, December 25th 2008

Multijet 150 Sport 5dr

Bought the Bravo Sport 6 months ago. I had heard a lot about the smaller engine versions and the lower models, and there have been a few negatives. This model, which is the top of the range, 1.9 diesel, is a fantstic all round car with the gadgets and the power. I have had a few cars in my time, eg Seat Leon FR tdi, the Fiat doesnt have the turbo lag that the FR had. This pulls away in any gear with no lag at all. Even in 6th gear on the motorway, doing 60, the car pulls away as if you were in 3rd gear, a quick pick up.The Fiat Sport is not far behind especially the value for money and the guarantee offered for 5 yrs.Thats a piece of mind to. I have never been a big fan of Fiat, but this car has won me over.I know it is only 6 months, but so far so good. If anyone is contenplating buing a fiat, take the 1.9 diesel for a test deive. You will not be dissappointed. Probably Fiats best car.

Paul Watts, CARMS, October 22nd 2008

Multijet 150 Sport 5dr

My first Fiat and I am pleased to report that the experience so far has been excellent.Having previously run german brands,I feel the Bravo compares favourably well in all areas.The previous Fiat worries of shoddy build quality are not evident,indeed the car has a very solid feel all round.Equipment levels are superb - particularly the Blue & Me interface.The interior has a refreshingly stylish ambience with good quality materials & pleasing colour schemes.Engine performance is vigourous with 45+ MPG within easy reach in mixed driving & the chassis provides excellent handling,only the slightly light steering feel spoiling the overall dynamics.Fiat really have taken a big leap forward with the Bravo - this is an excellent value package with very stylish looks and an excellent warranty - Fiat must have confidence in the Bravo to offer a 5 year backup.

DAVID GRAHAM, Antrim, August 23rd 2008

Active 5dr

i took delivery of car new in December after trading in astra.it is a comfortable car to drive but i found that it is very poorly put together.loose dashboard trim and the glove box would open for no reason. The lack of power was also a bit of concern,they was no get-up and go.The biggest complaint is with safety.my car was hit by another car at less than 40mph with the result it is now scrap.i am very glad that my kids were not in it at time. I will not be getting another.!!!

colin matthews, May 23rd 2008

Multijet Active 5dr

I drove this car back in Sept 2007 for two weeks while on holiday (v. low mileage and in perfect nick). I was impressed with its effortless pace, solid feel, styling and level of space offered. Ride quality was generally excellent - but see below. I currently drive a 1998 Nissan Primera and as a result found the Fiat somewhat 'inert' to drive. While the steering was direct, I found it lacking in feel. Mid-corner bumps upset the suspension too - sometimes the car felt a little uneasy and edgy round tight rough-edged bends. Refinement at lower revs and on the motorway was very good – in fact at 80-85mph you would not guess it was a diesel. At lower speeds and under acceleration the unit was a little noisy. I found the gearing a little bizarre - nice ratios for more relaxed driving on A-roads and motorways but found the delivery a little peaky and less-smooth at town speeds. The gearbox/clutch action was average - again it felt completely inert and I trouble engaging the occasional gear. Mpg was very good indeed - coming from a petrol car, this was very noticeable. One thing I was impressed with was the build quality - a revelation compared with previous Fiats. Nothing broke/fell off and most of plastics used (apart from those used in the centre of the steering wheel and foot-wells) were soft-touch and good looking. Overall, I was quite impressed with the car but it has a flawed drive - my 10 year old Nissan has a much more enjoyable and engaging drive.

Daniel Coote, Midlothian, May 23rd 2008

Multijet 150 Sport 5dr

I purchased a 1.9 multijet 150 sport Bravo in September 2007 and after 7 months and 9000 miles I thought I would share my experiences of Fiat ownership. There have been no creaks, rattles or loose bits of trim a common complaint of previous Fiats. The general interior quality is excellent with a nice mix of soft touch fabrics on the dash and doors, and a solid feel to most of the interior. The only signs of cost cutting are in the footwell area and under the bottom of the dash. The cabin and the clear dash create a warm and relaxed place to be when driving at night. At 6'4 I have no issues with the driving position that many other people suffer in italian cars. The other major feature of this car is the level of equipment at this price ABS,EBD,ASC, etc and a 5 Star NCAP award. Another useful feature is the Blue and Me bluetooth system which is excellent. The overall ride is quiet with hardly any wind noise at motorway speed, and only modest body roll, yes the engine is vocal at lower speeds but soon becomes muted as the speed increases and does not become tiring on long journeys. The performance of the diesel engined Bravo is very strong, a 230 mile journey to the cotswolds with 4 adults showed no weakness in the performance or handling of the car. The fuel consumption continues to hover around the 46-51 mpg mark no matter how you drive. Overall ry one you will be very surprised.

Darren Simpson, Wets Midlands, April 15th 2008

Multijet 150 Sport 5dr

I wasn't sure about buying a Fiat given their poor reliability record and having had great service from 3 Skoda Octavias. However, the promise of a 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty made up my mind. A month and 3000 miles into ownership and I am very satisfied. The car is much nicer to drive than the Octavia with the only downsides being slightly more body roll and the dashboard materials being slightly less upmarket. It is as well screwed together as the Octavia which is saying something. Overall it is very refined. Road and wind noise are very muted and the Bravo is much quieter than the Skoda. The Blue & Me voice recognition bluetooth/media player feature is excellent and other functions such as the Hill Hold and 'lighting around the corner' are well-executed and make the car a doddle to drive. Passengers are hard pushed to tell that the engine is a diesel and the power delivery is very linear with no turbo lag at all. Economy has averaged out at around 50mpg to date with mostly motorway driving. Overall I am very impressed with the overall package.

Mark Mahon, West Midlands, April 12th 2008

Multijet 150 Sport 5dr

Pleasantly surprised. That's how I would sum up driving the Fiat Bravo. Until now, I freely admit to steering clear of Fiat; horror stories of woeful build and a generally poor showing in the JD power survey, put me off. The Bravo is a handsome car, and certainly cuts a dash through the usual array of identikit, mid-sized hatches, without being over-designed, like the Civic’s unfortunate rear aspect. Inside the car is a pleasant place to be; it looks smart, and the finish generally good, if not on a par with most of the usual suspects. Nothing on the dash looked cheap, or about to fall off. I’m 6ft 3ins, and found it easy to get into a comfortable driving position. The 1.9 150bhp diesel is smooth, refined, and decently fast, certainly on a par with the Civic's great 2.2 unit. The ride quality is good and composed, even on the optional 18" wheels. It steered well, and gripped through corners, with a minimum of body roll. It’s certainly better than the fidgety Civic, and the anodine Auris 180 TR. For normal, day-to-day driving, the Bravo performs well. With discounts of Β£3500 available, the Bravo is a very affordable, well equipped car that drives well, and returns 50+mpg. Go for the top spec models, there’s no reason not to. The difference between this car and the so called β€˜class leaders’, is marginal. It surprised me that we would ever consider a Fiat, but we are. (Btw, I drive a Mazda RX-8 228bhp and don’t work for Fiat:))

Stuart Burrows, February 17th 2008

HLX 3dr

I have just got this car as a sporty run around its a 1.8 hlx and oh my it does get a move on for a little car. Its quite girly with the foot pedals very close together. What I love about it is its got heated seats! The button is located on the left hand side under your seats a grey little square button - yep just press it in a whola... warm back & booty! From the side the car looks like a vw golf. For an old car this is the top of the range model for a next to nothing price. This car is practical, reliable and the only thing i can fault about it is ... probably running costs. Anyhow put it this way ... I used to have a Brand New Vauxhall Tigra and that was a box of trouble on wheels but it looked good, the Bravo in my opinion definately more reliable and it's a hell of a lot older. Plus Fiat are part of Ferarri it must be better?!

Louisa Clarke, Nottinghamshire, October 7th 2007

HLX 3dr

I have had this car for six years. It's a 1997, P-reg car. Nothing has gone wrong. It is a dream to drive, it's very comfortable, and sticks well to the road round corners. It accelerates with little force, and the power steering is also excellent. The boot is a good size, and perfect for my Border Collie. The back is also very roomy - I easily got two baby seats and a passenger in the back with lots of space to spare. The only fault I found was that the trim falls off and it is not very economical. I am selling my car (I am very upset!) as I have changed jobs and need a car that is economical. I would recommend this car to anyone!

Collette Kennedy, Somerset, July 2nd 2007

SX 3dr

In 99 we found a one year old Bravo it was cheap and had a very low milage so we became to be the cars second owners for 8 years. The car was I would say a forerunner in design and wow galvanized so we encuntered no rust.The down side was badfittings in and out and poore material quality where bits of obscure objekts felt down from under the seats and handels, knobs and bits flungd around just as joyfully as flees on a dog so one wouldnt say that it gave a sober and quiet ride. But on the road it was SPORTY and the 1.6 delivered a grate punch with a good growl so we gave Golfs and the best of all, over confident Volvo owners a goodrun with a laught. Bravo is a sporty ride for less money and the engine is rockhard. Weekpoints are the flimsy interior trims a underpowered battery and a problematic rear whiper engine.

Johan Normark, April 10th 2007

16V SX 3dr

After writing this, something will probably go wrong, but so far there has been no trouble at all. Servicing costs are good, but three doors are a pain when you have a young child. The boot is not very big - it just about manages the weekly shopping. I had the window regulator fixed under warranty and that's it. My car is a 2001 51-plate, for which I paid Β£5500 with nine delivery miles on the clock in August 2002. So I have owned it for almost four years and 21,000 miles. The trade-in value at May 2006 is about Β£2000 - it will not drop much more now in the next couple of years. I'm not a petrol-head, but this is the best car I have owned, not for its equipment or handling, but for its fuel economy, servicing and reliability, which are excellent. The car looks great from the front and back, but seems strange when looked at from the side. If you want a cheap economical second hand car, this is for you.

mick dee, May 24th 2006

100 SX 3dr

I have recently traded in my Bravo after four years and 65,000 miles, and found it to fly in the face of Fiat's reputation for poor build quality and unrelability. I had very few problems, and considering that I covered over 20,000 miles a year in the first two years, I have had nothing major to replace and no major failures. The car started first time, every time, no matter what the weather, and the only things I had to replace outside of the normal (brake pads and tyres) were a couple of shock absorbers. One or two bits of interior trim looked close to falling off and the ride was certainly harsh and bumpy, but the 1.2-litre engine was lively and responsive. Overall I was sad to trade it in. The only major gripe was the trade-in value, which was next to nothing!

Barry Cook, Renfrewshire, April 4th 2006

16V HLX 3dr

Over the past two years, I've owned two Fiat Bravo 1.8 HLX cars and found them to be, on the whole, cheap and reliable transport. There were three main reasons for me choosing this car: first, it was cheap to buy due to big depreciation; second, it has only group 8 insurance (I was 21 with no no-claims bonuswhen I bought my first); and third, it has great looks. I thought both cars handled well, were reasonably quick (as long as it was spinning above 4000rpm) and had a fair bit of decent kit. You get heated seats (although the driver's one always seemed to pack up), electric windows, mirrors and sunroof, and some have a CD changer. On the negative side, at 80mph on the motorway, it is doing nearly 4000rpm, which, coupled with the noisy exhaust, leads to earache on long journeys and also poor fuel economy. With daily use (and a heavy right foot), I usually got between 29 and 33mpg. The best I ever got was 37mpg. I also found that parts such as exhausts were quite expensive, and the alloy wheels are very easy to buckle and a new one is Β£150 per tyre. On the whole, it's a cheap way to start your motoring career.

Gerard Fisher, lancashire, March 21st 2006

SX 3dr

I have owned my Bravo for a full year. Everything that could have gone wrong, has. I have stuck with it because parts are cheap and widely available. The performance of the 1.4-litre engine is impressive if you consider its rivals. The engine, although very nippy, lacks pull. The ride round town is very uncomfortable - you feel the smallest of pot holes, and while the suspension manages to be very hard, it doesn’t stop the car from bottoming out over the average speed bump. The 1.4-litre petrol engine is very economical in traffic, averaging 39-41mpg. If driven hard, it can drop to as low as 5mpg. Unfortunately, like many other Italian used cars, depreciation is very high - it's well worth considering other rivals which hold prices better. The car is well refined with little cabin noise. It has a nice, open dash layout with plenty of space. With a height-adjustable driver's seat, and adjustable steering wheel, finding a comfortable driving position is easy. The front passenger has plenty of leg room. There is one cup holder in the glove box, which is at a funny angle, and lacks height. The rear passenger leg room is acceptable. The boot is not well thought through, however. The load space is too high, and the suspension mounts take up a quarter of the boot.

Andrew Rycroft, Lancs, November 29th 2005