Fiat Grande Punto Hatchback Owner reviews

Active 5dr

I recently bought the 1.2 active. My previous car and first being the Renault Clio. As it was a w reg things were going wrong and I thought to buy a new car. I found the Punto for £3000 and had a test drive. It was great I could feel the road and it's quite roomy. The engine is nice and it look sweet. After buying the car there has been a few problems like the door handles and the oil sensor all minor things. It coped well on a motorway and around town is great. I can also now fit my 6.5ft friends in my car. Overall it is a great car for the price and if you are struggling for money and need a car the punto is a great investment. At the moment I can't find any faults and hope I wont. Also running costs are low. Its cheap tax insurance and petrol costs are great on average I can get about 44mpg out of it. For the money etc its a great size, cost to run and a nice car inside too. It looks nice and definitely looks worth a lot more than 3000. Even the 1.2 engine can cope well with speed and accelerating. All I can say its a great car and worth every penny. Lets hope I'm right. Definitely 5 stars.

Connor Munton-Evans, October 29th 2014

Active 3dr

Okay I read reviews from magazines and websites and then see most owners rate the car far better, and now I can say that in fairness to this little car the reviews are a bit harsh. I purchased one of these as needed something cheaper to run and come down from a big Mercedes (i still have but hardly use now) after driving it initially you find its strange as its different to what you are used to, but the more you drive it the more it grows on you. It was when cruising along motorway I thought you know what this car goes along lovely for what it is, and it does seriously. Remember I come out of a air suspension double glazed 3.2 ltr merc to this car that to be honest I would have laughed at over the past years. Now I love it, its great on fuel as long as you drive it normally and if you drive conservative like 60-70mph very good (this one i have 1.4 active 2009 model) I have saved a load of money on fuel, its good looking car, okay some plastic trim more in the feet area is not of great quality, but the rest is good and the bluetooth is amazingly good plug your phone or memory stick in and play your mp3 all controlled on steering wheel, that also has a city button and steering can be turned by a sparrow its that good. So personally after owning many nice cars from Porsche, BMW, Mercedes to come down to this you think I would be very critical and pull it apart, well yes I could, but for the money no I cant! Not let me down yet.

Cuma Lot, kent, May 19th 2013

Multijet Sporting 3dr

I purchased a Grande Punto Sporting with delivery mileage on the clock. The Grande Punto is an attractive car, and in Sporting trim looks at its best. It's spacious, reasonably comfortable, and quick enough to keep up with most other superminis. However, I have since sold mine, and would never buy another Fiat. With just 600 miles on the clock, it broke down. Then the CD player broke. The engine ran rough, and 'fixes' only cured it for a few months at a time. From new, the car often didn't start first time, and when it did start, clouds of black smoke came out of the exhaust (and despite going to 3 Fiat garages, this was never fixed). The rear window leaked on and off over the two years I owed it (it was often the only car in the car park misted up on the inside in the mornings). It spent weeks off the road in the Fiat dealer awaiting repair. The roof trim needed replacing. The window seals needed replacing. The servicing costs were astronomical - The first service was £205, the second an eye-watering £405! The fan for the heater broke. Blue&Me went on the blink periodically, and the Bluetooth phone connection was not to be relied upon. With such a heavy engine up front, it went through front tyres for fun. The warranty in the third year covered precious little, and during the time I had it, the car certainly needed its warranty. Was I unlucky? The fact that a friend had the same model and had many of the same problems makes me think that I wasn't.

Rob Sanderson, January 18th 2012

Active 3dr

I've had this car for 2 weeks, and wish I'd never seen it. The only good thing about it is the looks. The fuel consumption is poor as is the performance. On motorways it seems to wander unless the steering wheel is held tightly, and the front vibrates a lot, and the suspension makes a horrible thump when going over bumps. If the drivers window is open when using the windscreen washers the dirty water comes in over the window switches. The bluetooth works with my old nokia, but won't recognise a new samsung phone. The rear seats are virtually impossible to get into, and an adult would find it impossible to sit in them. I wish I'd kept my 4 1/2 year old KA with 125,000 miles on the clock, it was quicker, more comfortable and economical.

Russell winter, February 14th 2009

Active 5dr

The car is fabulous! It looks fantastic and it drives fantastic! Don't turn away from the quite basic 1.4 8v! It's a aspirated engine, a simple engine and a light engine! The front end it not heavy at all (something I cannot say about the T-Jets or the Multijets) so the car stays quite balanced around bends. Consider it a nice "Easter Egg" from FIAT! Excellent car!

Paul Giucoane, February 10th 2009

Dynamic 5dr

I have had the pleasure of 2yrs , 25000mls trouble free with this car , does everything well and as I usually change my car around now ,will buy another , may-be a T-Jet and hope it's as reliable !.

Lachie Williamson, January 19th 2009

Active 5dr

In a word...woeful. Cheap to buy and run, but don't be seduced by promises of 45 mpg + from the 1.2 petrol; around town you'll be lucky to clear 32. Yes, it's a reasonably good looking car, but this is a case of style over substance. The brakes are massively over-servoed, so get ready to have your nose broken on the windscreen regularly. Steering is too light and I guarentee you'll stall this car more than any other you have owned. After a year, 2 factory recalls, a failed starter motor ("the part is on back-order sir and it'll be a month before we can get a new one fitted for you")and too many trips to the dealer to sort out niggles, I gave up and chopped my 1.2 in for something way more reliable. In summary there is little "Grande" about it, apart from the Fiat-sponsored headache you'll have as an owner. Do yourself a big favour, buy a year old Ford Focus.

David Evelyn, Somerset, December 21st 2008

Active 3dr

I previously owned an alfa romeo so i was sceptical about owning this car. It is the GT1 version, so has lots of goodies added to it like alloys, MP3 usb point, bluetooth etc. The engine does a very good job either around the town or on the motorway. Annoying factors are the passenger seatbelt, it rattles against the trim wherever you go, unless of course you have a passender. The parcel shelf is not a good fit and often jams after opening against the window obstructing rear view. On the whole though, i find this a comfortable, punchy little car with a good spirit and adapts to most road surfaces. Handling is good and economy reasonable. I would recommend this for most people who have a mixture of commuting and town driving.

christina brown, October 27th 2008

Active 5dr

I have owned this car for 2 years from new and covered 9000 miles, it has had the common problems of steering rack replacement after 2000 miles, drop link failure, sticking rear doors which were all sorted without any problems at my local Fiat dealership. To conclude with we have enjoyed the Grande Punto which is easy to drive ( city button is great for parking) the 1.2 needs to be worked but it is a capable engine, so I am finding very difficult to find a replacement car in this category.

Melvyn Pullin, gwent, October 21st 2008

Active 5dr

I bought my wife a new Grande Punto 1.2 Active in May 2008. I got a good deal on a 5 door model and its so far so good. The car handles well and the 1.2 petrol (which I understand is now defunct as of Sept 08) is adequate and on par with similar engined Fiestas, Corsas and Clios. The interior of 08 models is much easier on the eye than the 06-07 models as the seat trim is of much better quality. Unfortunately not everyhting about the car is positive, the road noise is on the high side especially above 60mph even with factory fitted Pirelli P4 tyres, the glovebox latch is poor quality and takes a rather hard push to close and our car doesn't like hot starts every now and again (resulting in a 10 second turn on the starter before the engine splutters then fires into life). The FIAT brand is much better than it used to be but I'm not sure how the Punto will fare after 4 years or so of use aginst comparable brands. I guess only time will tell.

Tim Marshall, October 8th 2008

Active 5dr

The car was bought Oct 2007 12000 miles on the clock.Now has done 20000 miles.Central locking on both rear doors failed Nov 2007 fixed under warranty very good service by Anthont Betts Hemel.Now steering has developed a problem common fault on this model i believe.Had mk1 Punto for 5 years no problems,come on Fiat whats gone wrong?

martin petch, herts, October 5th 2008

Active 3dr

Excellent packaging and reliability. Yes, the interior plastics are hard but they're well-moulded and will last. I can't believe some owners find the 1.2 engine noisy and thirsty: it might be their driving style that's at fault. The engine has plenty of mid-range torque making revving it hard uneccessary. Great gearchange. Slightly over-sensitive brakes. My mixed-route driving returns 48mpg. My only complaint: over-light steering at motorway speeds. Would I buy another one? CERTAINLY WOULD, but with 5 doors for easier rear access and air-con. Well done Fiat.

Antonio Toma, Lincolnshire, October 5th 2008

Active 5dr

After owning a 52 Reg 5 door Punto Active I decided it was time for a change and was delighted to find that the Grande Punto was in my price range. I love the looks, both inside and out and as others have stated it is not perfect but the niggles with this car are all something that you could put up with apart from one particular problem that is spoiling the enjoyment of driving this car and that is the fuel consumption. The MPG with this car is horrendous round town, yes, for the size and weight of this car the 1.2 engine is very underpowered for this car and it does take a lot of extra rpm to get this car going with the rest of traffic and this has got to be the cause of the problem. It just seems that every time I make a journey in this car I can litterally watch the needle drop and in no time that petrol light comes on. That is another thing I cant understand, why Fiat have made the red area so large on the petrol gauge which then sets off that dreaded light. It comes on far to early. It is a shame really because Fiat have produced a really good car here, but I would really like to know who test drives these cars. My 52 reg Punto was so reliable and economical and a lot of people will be buying the Grande on this basis but will sadly be disappointed unless they just want them to sit on the drive and look sporty.

Tom Smith, Durham, September 18th 2008

16V Sporting 3dr

I've had my 1.4 sport for 9 months/9000 miles now. Cornish roads=34ish mpg Motor-ways=45ish Having down-graded from a 1.8P Focus, it's power isn't what i was use to... It does require a great deal of high revs to get to the power, yes, i could drive slightly slower and have a higher return of miles/gallon. BUT, when this car's going it's so much fun to drive. It's well kitted out, iPod/USB connection for wonderful endless driving playlists... Voice control for Music+Phone. When making use of the USB connection, music can only be skipped via the controls on the steering wheel (Something i've come to love) That's the plus points for me, i do have a few negatives; After 2 months, my Elec-windows stopped working, being under warranty, it was booked into the dealer, all it turned out to be was the connection to the controls in the drivers door had 'fallen' out of place. The windscreen wipers are of hardly any use, a lack of coverage from the water 'vapour' and very streeky finish. I've had the warning light for the Hill-Hold system come on a few times. Leave it parked while doing the shopping, turn the ignition, the light and message has gone. My Hand-brake's never been the best, after tightening, it was better for about 4 days until it rolled down the drive while in gear. It was booked back into the garage, it needed a new rear-passenger brake disc and caliber, since then, it's been fine.... But it is Italian... But i still give it 4 Stars.

Craig Warne, September 8th 2008

Active 5dr [AC]

i work for a car hire company and have never had a car with so many problems, constant recalls, bits falling off (grille, wing mirror housings..) doors that fail to open unless you hit them above the handle! would never recommend one to anyone. buy a corsa or clio.

dan fairham, west sussex, August 5th 2008

Active 5dr

I thought this car was a good, smooth, well put together little car. Only downside was the 1.2 was not quite powerfull enough for this size of car, although the grunt sounded nice trying to get it up to speed. Looks the part ad no doubt a massive leap forward from the Punto's of old. The basic active entry level is just that - basic, but a good size, good looking car for the money. Boot space is average for its class. In the end i was drawn to buy the new 500 but i wouldnt put anyone off buying one of these.

Andrew Hood, July 10th 2008

16V Sporting 3dr

I brought this car in september 06, its now done 20,000 miles and so far it has been excellent. I find that it is a fun car to drive and still consider it to be a great purchase, the clutch is light and easy to use, and the 6-speed gearbox has became smooth and precise after the first few thousand miles. The driving position is also good and the car offers good practicality for the money along with a 5 star euro ncap safety rating, traction and skid control, as well as blue-tooth, air-conditioning and cruise control. The only minor bad points to this car is that the breaks made a loud squeak when reversing when the car was new, Additionally, the drivers door lock broke after around 14,000 miles, which had to be fixed by the dealer, although it took 3 attempts for the dealer to actually order the right part to fix it. Overall i would recommend this car to anyone, as it is the best all round and stylish small car on the market. I would strongly considering buying another one.

Matthew Gusterson, northants, July 3rd 2008

Multijet Active 3dr

Bought the car in january 2007 for use in my driving school. Now covered 19000 miles. Good points: Very economical. im getting 55-58 mpg average. Ride and handling are ok, better now ive fitted wider tyres. Nice light controls. easy car to drive. Fits people from 6ft 4" to 5ft tall. Plenty of room in the front and back seats. Cheap road tax (£35.00 a year). Bad points: Clutch judder from day one (dealer cant fix it) Drivers door latch broken twice leaving the car stranded. Several interior trim items have come loose. No external boot latch. Dealer network next to useless. To sum up, a lot of car for the money when compared to its rivals, but the Fiat build quality is still lacking. Dealers are not very knowlegeable of their products, and are less than helpful when things do go wrong.

Les Latham, Flintshire, June 26th 2008

16V Dynamic Sport 5dr

I bought this car in september 2007 with 2500 miles on the clock. It has let me down on eight separate occassions with gearbox failures and doors failing to stay closed. It is very noisy onthe motorway and I will shortly be swapping it for something more reliable at great expense (lost £2500 in nine months)I recommend these cars to no one

Neil Frankland, Lancashire, June 8th 2008

Active 3dr

I got my Grande Punto over a year ago, I've dont 8000 miles and I absolutely love it. On the road it's great. Not the softest ride ever but great for a small car. The steering and clutch are both really light making it easy to drive. The only problem for me is the chair can get quite uncomfortable over longer drives but being 6'3 means I have yet to find a car that doesn't kill my neck! Also running costs aren't bad, but their not great either. I generally use the car for ruuning around town in and it's only managing 40 mpg, which isnt bad, but with petrol costs at the moment, it's doing my wallet some damage. Also the door handle broke but was fixed the next day free of charge which I thought was excellent! Everything in about it is great, including insurance and tax. I will not be changing my car for a long time!

Benn Mason, Surrey, June 5th 2008