Ford Focus C-MAX MPV (03 - 07) Owner reviews

TDCi Zetec 5dr [Euro 4]

brought 2.5 years ago to carry the dog around in and primarily on spec as kitted up with leather, upgrade alloys and privacy glass, it looks smart but sadly that seems to be where it ends. Yes it drove well at first, handled nice, quite comfortable and smooth on the road but engine is unrefined (I did kind of know that from experience) didnt expect it to be quite as uneconomical as it is even on a run(it returns far less than my Volvo D5!!). now this is where the review goes a bit down hill, this will be the last Ford I ever buy, I have owned a number the last being a 2001 Mondeo, all of them without fail have suffered from niggly faults and suspension failures, this one however is now at last chance saloon! To date we have failed park distance control, failed heated windscreen, failed electrical connection in loom, failed 12v socket, wheel bearings, suspension joints and struts...... Build quality is only average, and the paint is starting to peel on the rear arches (a common focus issue?) It promises to be such a good car but has driven me to distraction, will be going shortly I expect!

mark greenall, cambs, June 21st 2013

Zetec [125] 5dr

I have owned my 07 Focus C Max 1.8 petrol Zetec for 11 months. There have been no major mechanical problems with the car but it suffers from rattles from the dash and rear seats. The 07 Zetec has a good equipment list with alloy wheels, space saver spare, a leather steering wheel and steering wheel mounted cd/radio and driving computer controls. Front fog lights and heated front windscreen/washer jets, front and rear electric windows/remote central locking. There are lots of cubby holes/storage in the car – there is a good sized, lidded cubby hole on the top of the dash, which is useful for storing maps, guide books, cleaning cloths etc. and 2 under floor storage boxes behind the front seats – big enough for first aid kit/ tyre pump etc. The front seats have storage pockets on the side – but they just catch dirt. There are 2 β€œaircraft style” flip up tables for rear passengers and storage pockets on the back of the front seats The 3 rear seats fold and flip individually and they are easily removed individually but they are heavy to lift in and out of the car. All in all not a bad car for the price, the 1.8 petrol engine has plenty of power, good acceleration and reasonable MPG – I do have a heavy right foot! Handling is surprisingly good for a high car.

ALLAN JACQUES, February 25th 2011

TDCi Ghia 5dr

I have owned this car now for 1 year and have no problems at all. Good points - fun to drive, nippy for size, equipment level is good, boot size decent, love the electronic parking brake. Bad points - tyre wear, clock has to be re-set every couple of month ( if thats a bad point )due to lost couple of mins. Any more problem then i will up-date.

stewart oxley, tyne & wear, January 16th 2009

Zetec 5dr

Good points - most things Bad points - 'Rattly' back seats and a bad intermittant engine misfire, but only when the engine has warmed up (e.g long journeys). Took it back to the main dealer who cannot trace the fault despite hooking it up to the computer. The car had it's routine service at the same time, spark plugs changed etc, and now the misfire is worse! I really don't enjoy driving this car now!

Amanda Wolfe, January 15th 2009

TDCi Zetec 5dr

Bought in April 08 when it was 3 yrs old and only 23k, had to have new Cat fitted as old one fractured due to missing bracket left out when clutch was replaced. Main dealer didn't want to know as car had changed hands and been serviced by another main dealer in Portsmouth since. Cost Β£800. Jan '09 at 36k, alternator failed, dealer charged Β£300+. Still have an ongoing problem where the boot opens when starting the car!!

Nick Willis, January 9th 2009

TDCi Zetec 5dr

Bought from new - happy to start with - then reliability problems crept in - loss of power, recall for power assist brake fault, electrical issues and loose trim. OK to drive with high seating position but poor fuel ecconomy. Warranty & after sales very poor. Main issue is safety - This car is dangerous because the Power Steering and ABS/Barkae Assist can fail without warning and result in 80% loss of steering and braking control.

Patrick King, Berkshire, December 16th 2008

TDCi Ghia 5dr

We have owned this car for nine months, it was bought from a Ford dealership who were very good, shame about the car. We have had to have rear brake pads and an alternator, now the engine light has stayed on all one day and to top it all the engine lost all revs and would not pull away even in first gear, just kept stalling.We tow a small caravan in the summer and the towing performance has been good, but with zero reliability it has to go. Would I buy another Ford not on your life.

Barbara Whitehead, December 8th 2008

TDCi Zetec 5dr

This is the "family Car" of the household, its a 2.0 tdci zetec. First diesel vehicle we have owned and it is really very good, in fact I wont buy another petrol equivalent. Excellent engine, lots of power & tourque, low road noise, handles nearly as good as my Fiesta ST, for a big car anyway. Got it from ford direct through a dealer, NO problems at all so far (2yrs of ownership). Only issue is this model eats the front tyres. Overall excellent car I would strongly reccomend it, its proven to be Kid Proof which is a bonus!!!

alan cox, October 15th 2008

Ghia [125] 5dr

excellent driving position and comfort levels. a few minor niggles similar to other reviewers e.g boot lock, clock. one major problem was the car cutting out for no reason, often at speed and in traffic(very unnerving). my local garage in consultation with a local ford mechanic traced the fault to two wires that run across the top of the gear box that had been rubbing and were shorting out. These were repaired and I have had no problems since. As this is such a potentially dangerous fault, I shallbe letting Ford know of the solution. Otherwise so far this has been an excellent car.

michael kirkwood, cumbria, October 15th 2008

LX 5dr

I obtained a C Max to replace a Citroen Picasso as a mobility car for myself and my friend who needs a wheel chair now and again we both need a car with high access and this is fine although we both find the seats hard and my friend uses the cushion from her wheel chair to make it better, so far so good. performance good and fuel consumption average 35 miles per gallon. However we were on the motorway in the outside lane when we were forced to stop with what sounded like a major failure in the front wheels. We managed to get onto the hard shoulder and were recovered back to the main dealer. I got the car back yesterday and was told that the problem was that the gearbox had lost all its oil this is in a car 6 months old with 9500 miles on the clock, Was this a one off or is it a regular problem. Our confidence in the safty of the car has been shattered.

james warham, September 12th 2008

TDCi Ghia 5dr

Having been initially pleased with the car (bought 12m old in 2005) we are now finding more things wearing out. Last service (15k miles) needed new brake pads AND discs, now, still less than 25k the front pads need replacing again. Also alternator has just gone as per last review - are they all wearing out about now? Seems to be high wear and tear given low mileage. DVD player and radio now malfunctioning after fixing alternator, so...back to the dealer...

Anne Amner, July 27th 2008

TDCi Ghia 5dr [Euro 4]

I bought this C-Max used from the Car People in June 2008 - Β£9500 for a Feb 2007 model. The car buying experience was excellent with no hassle & a straightforward deal. The car is excellent, it is a Ghia model so has plenty of equipment (heated seats, cruise control, puddle lights on door mirrors). I find the driving position excellent & very comfortable, I have selected 'comfort' steering setting in town but in the country use the 'sport' settings. The kids (10 & 12) love the space in the back & it has more storage spaces than my previous car a 307SW. The 1.8 TDCi engine is excellent, 32 mpg is lower than I had hoped but my 7 mile drive to work is all town driving (used to get 24mpg in 2.0 litre petrol 307SW). On longer journeys it gives better mpg. A couple of niggles - no ESP as standard even on a Ghia, the centre console is loose - requires lock nuts in the mounting bracket, the passenger headrests are not adjustable (either down or fully up). Overall an excellent car.

Edward Heath-Whyte, July 26th 2008

TDCi Ghia 5dr

Following up my review of 25/8/06 it is time to say goodbye to this C-Max. Failed alternator was the last straw, and after 20,000 miles and 3 years I'm buying Japanese again. Since my report 2 yrs ago (dropped passenger door, EPB failure, motor wiper recall, selt belt failure fixed under warranty) we have suffered central locking failure, electric window failure and now the alternator has failed. What a shame for Ford; this car is fabulous to drive and ticks every box for my young family except the most important one: RELIABILITY!

Chris Johnson, Kent, July 9th 2008

TDCi Ghia 5dr

NOT AS FAMILY FRIENDLY as you might expect. Bought an 06 model this year, with 17k on the clock. It was a replacement for my wife's 3 dr Clio, as we had just had twins. Chose C-max for sharp drive, equipment, and diesel performance. It also has a boot big enough for our double buggy. HOWEVER, the issue of child seats is quite complicated, and I would URGE you to check this before you buy. 1: Our 2nd-hand model didn’t come with ISOFIX points as standard. Garage offered to install them free of charge, but took several weeks of trying to find correct parts & much debate over whether it was even possible to retrofit these points. 2: Rear seatbelts are only just long enough to go around our child seats (Jane Rebels). Anything bigger, and you’ll struggle. Issue now is trying to find a 9 mnth+ car seat that can be mounted in the car. We were naive enough to think that ANY ISOFIX seat can be mounted in ANY car with ISOFIX points. In reality, it's much more complicated, and stores such as Mothercare will not even sell you a seat unless your car is approved by the seat manufacturer, eg. Britax. This c-max simply comes up with 'No Information', and Ford recommends that seats are secured with an additional 'top tether' strap. Whilst our garage did fit the main ISOFIX mountings, it doesn't look like we have the anchor points for the tether straps, it's very difficult to get definitive information. Great car but don't assume that it's a family friendly car, just because it's an MPV.

Russell Smith, July 3rd 2008

Zetec [115] 5dr

I have owned this car for just 24 hours but I think its important to report what people really think about its first impressions then if a problem develops that can be part of a follow up report, this would help other readers to make up their own minds about each model! This engine is a free spinning delight don't look at its on paper figures it lies about it, it spins as sweet as the 2.0 model in gear acceleration from first trough to third is just great for this little engine, the handling is better than my BMW 520 I kid you not I think this is down to the weight of the car most models are around 1500 kg but this one is 1325kg and of all the cars I have had this is the most fun I have had in my first 24 hours of ownership ok its not an BMW and you do hear external noises my 25000 miler had wind deflectors fitted and it does make a huge difference compared to the other models tested my model also had the single cd Sony extra and if you turn the volume up a little you can't hear what's going on outside the car, what a stereo system! Returned 467 miles for a full tank (55 lts) in one days mixed driving (sporting) = Brilliant! Only one problem and not sure if it is one yet but when I turn off the car the lcd display stays on all the time which must drain the battery will ask ford technical about this and report back. Kind Regards.

B. Hunter, June 21st 2008

TDCi Ghia 5dr

I bought an 04 C Max Ghia 1.6 tdci as I was trying to find a good balance of space and economy. Plus points are it meets those requirements, big car feel on a mid size platform, good driving position. The overall economy is what you expect from a modern diesel, around 45 mpg in mixed use, real world driving, it gets much better on a long run. The ride is firmer than you expect as is the level of road noise, even in a well trimmed Ghia. The paint scratches easily. There are concerns about tdci reliability, I have had no problems (so far)but they can cost a lot to put right if they go wrong. A good car, very well designed, but do Ford build it consistently well?

Jonathan Doughty, Norfolk, May 12th 2008

TDCi Zetec 5dr

I have had this car from new 3 years under mobility and apart from 1 recall rear windscreen motor and new tyres everything fine .Touch wood 2.0tdci engine giving 48mpg on mixed driving great when cruising on long run not so good on short runs .replaced stereo with sony unit far better and stain protection for seats. local ford dealer been fine. like everything you look after it regular service ect it looks after you.

john orrick, March 11th 2008

TDCi LX [90] 5dr

I've had this car from new for 2.5yrs, 27Kmiles. Good: Great engine, lots of torque, v.enjoyable on dual carraigeway.Feels very solid Combined 45mpg.Not too much wind noise. Very good car to drive. Bad: Ventilation, windscreen & side windows steam up and dont clear easily.Cant clear condensation from side windows. Revs go up on their own from 800 to 1000rpm. You can take your foot off the clutch and the car drives up to 30mph, without touching the accelerator Ride is firm and the seats a bit hard. Problems: boot locked & rear windcreen motor replaced,under warranty.Unfortunately 2 dealers and 3 attempts to fix the 'driving on its own' problem,but still exists. New front discs and pads, after only 25K. Replaced front tyres after 20K. Dealership Service: Poor. One dealership replaced rear pads(without asking).Problem actually lay with front pads and the car came out from the garage worse than when it went it. Would I buy another one? I'd like to, but I'm going to test drive others as I have a long standing back problem and the ride is a bit too firm. My left knee is giving me a problem, so I may want a diesel automatic. Ergo, will test VW and Citroens. Ford’s new Price List states they have a new Diesel Auto 'Powershift' gearbox , but my enquiry to Ford,via email,met with a resounding silence. Its a pity.The car has a great deal to offer and if I didnt have my back problem and a dodgy left knee, I'd certainly consider this car again.

J Macdonald, Midlothian, March 9th 2008

TDCi Ghia 5dr

I chose this as a company car and its now 3.5 years old and done 65K. I love the driving position, and the electronic brake. BUT the radio, electronics, seat belts, boot lock have all failed. The boot kept opening when driving, the clock is in its own personal time zone. Ford had it in to fix - and since then I can't get traffic reports on the radio - and Ford dealer didn't understand what I meant so gave up!. Radio also won't hold local tuning for Classic FM so turn on to static! Seat and trim seems to get dirty very quickly and breaks - and I don't have kids or dogs! Agree with others about tires seeming to need replacing more often. I'm now trying to choose a replacement and don't want Ford for reliability issues but will miss the drive position.

Anne Haigh, March 1st 2008

Ghia [125] 5dr

I have had a 1.8 petrol ghia c-max from new in nov 2005 and have had no major problems with the car apart from the battery keeps going flat.I have spoken with the head technician at my local ford dealership who has told me that they have had a disproportionate number of cmaxs coming in with battery problems.This has been put down to insufficient mileage.I usually do 50-60 miles or so a week and evidently this is not enough.The new ford focus uses the same running gear etc so why dont they have the same problem?

Peter Nowlan, Essex, February 4th 2008