Hyundai Sonata Saloon (05 - 09) Owner reviews

CRTD CDX 4dr

I've just bought a 57 reg (feb 08) ex-demonstrator for 13,000 pounds, and it is fantastic. It is far better than the Renault Laguna I previously had.

Yun Lee, August 29th 2008

CRTD CDX 4dr

I have just brought a Hyundai Sonata ………OK you can stop laughing now. I love reading about exotic high performance supercars, but in reality I can not justify spending that sort of money for my mode of transport. My recent dilemma was what car would replace my 3 year old Mondeo diesel. I travelled from showroom to showroom reviewing all my options, Ford, VW, CitroΓ«n etc. The first hurdle is to actually get a salesperson to leave the comfort of their chair, it appears selling cars is a dying art. I could write a book about all the silly time wasting games played leading up to β€˜cost to change’. Best option is to laugh, shake hands and walk out. So I brought a new Sonata Diesel Automatic. Great price and specification, climate control, cruise control and leather trim all come as standard. There is a huge amount of interior space front and rear and a cavernous boot. The diesel engine with automatic gearbox is an excellent combination, giving 40+ mpg and effortless motorway cruising. Being kind I would say the styling is conservative, but then you could say that about Audi or Lexus. I’m well pleased with my purchase.

Rod Baxter, July 21st 2008

CDX 4dr

i am a car dealer and have been for 40 odd years now dealing in everything 2k up to 10 k and it annoys me to read and hear of people ( eg jeremy clarkson ) who are not ''experts' but jounalists trying to be witty and clever slagging off cars like the sonata, i have owned 4 as personal cars now for the past 6 years they are superb cars well made etc etc WHO DRIVES LIKE THEY DO ON A RACE TRACK ?? BELIVE ME I HAVE DRIVEN MANY CARS THAT I HAVE BEEN VERY DISSAPOINTED IN . sonatas have no class label as such but believe me what a cracking car to own and drive

richard whittle, November 28th 2006

CDX 4dr

I've just bought a Hyundai Sonata 2.4-litre automatic that was an ex-demonstrator model, and it has borne the brunt of the depreciation already. The interior is well equipped and luxurious, although the radio looks out of place and cheap in a car like this, and I miss the steering wheel-mounted stereo controls. The boot is vast, and the inclusion of a full size alloy spare is much better than a space-saver. The car has had a few comments from my friends who thought it resembled an Audi or a Lexus, whilst I enjoy driving a car which isn't a common sight on the roads. Overall, I think the car is competant and comfortable, but I would recommend buyers shop around for a nearly-new example, since there are only a few colours and one trim level. The ideal car might be out there, and it saves on the otherwise high depreciation. My 05 plate demonstrator model, which would have cost over Β£17,000 in June, was onsale at Β£13,000 when I bought it in December.

Stewart Urquhart, North Lincolnshire, January 2nd 2006

CDX 4dr

I traded an XG30 for the new Sonata. I wish I had kept the XG. The Sonata stereo system is a cheap-looking after-market item, and the smart-looking, but totally useless, Β£600 optional remote control is a complete waste of money. The thing has a mind of its own and is so awkward to use - you just think 'forget it,' and drive in silence. The gearbox is ok on my auto version, but the engine sounds like diesel, a huge let-down after the XG. It's definitely not the best car I have ever owned, and probably my last Hyundai. I wish I had spent more and gone for the Chrysler 300.

bill randle, November 25th 2005

CDX 4dr

I have the 3.3 with four-wheel steering. It is more spacious than a Mercedes S-Class, can out-run a BMW M3. It is extremely comfortable for a tall driver such as myself, and the fuel economy is excellent. I never feel the car being pushed to its limit. I always have confidence it has spare power, especially when overtaking on an incline. The stereo is extremely good and the cabin does not squeak. I had the 99 Model for six years and it never developed a single rattle. Unlike my wife's brand-new Honda accord 2.4 VTEC, it grunts squeaks and rattles on poor road surfaces. My recommendation is, at these prices, you would be silly not to buy one. I agree about the lack of refinement on the 2.4 engine.

Noureddine Itani, July 26th 2005