Jaguar XK Coupe (96 - 06) Owner reviews

Supercharged V8 R 2dr Auto

Just watched the Whatcar 'practical supercar' review. I have to comment on their findings, especially placing the Jaguar last and the grounds for doing so. I bought my car new in September 2013 and looked at the new 911 (Carrera 4S) and the R8. THe R8 was a non-starter once I found I could not actually fit in at - at 6' 4" my head was tilted sideways and I could not see acceptably. It had no luggage space, no room for occasional use for children, and the ride was exceptionally hard, it was not credible. It may be faster off the line but above 30mph - at overtaking speeds - it was insipid compared to the XKR. THe 911 was whole different proposition. The new 911 rides far better than previously and was just about good enough for the long drives I do. Space was great and performance fantastic but it was still noticeably slower at overtaking speeds than the XKR. Comparing 0-60 times in a discussion about everyday use, is rather missing the point! I would have gone for the 911 because the Jag feels heavy by comparison, and the difference in quality is significant. There is not a lot wrong with the XKR apart from the infotainment / nav system but the 911 feels like it is hewn from granite. Why did I buy the XKR then? Whatcar's price target team need to buck up. Specced to what I wanted, my OTR price difference was Β£28.5k. I took the Jag and kept the Β£28.5k. Depreciation and fuel are irrelevant; it was an easy win for the XKR and it is also the best GT regard

Jonathan Passmore, November 18th 2013

V8 Portfolio 2dr Auto

I've had my 5.0 Portfolio for 4 months now, so about time to review. Frankly, its a great car. Genuinely can't think of anything better in the class/price bracket. When I got it, I was swapping my Lotus Evora, so wasn't particular excited by the Jag, but its proving to be an able performer. Handling is crisp, engine is responsive and doesn't lack power - its not nible, but it is a big car. Coming from a perfectly balanced sports car, I was worried that the weighty 5.0 would lead to understeer, but so far haven't noticed it as the power through the rear balances it well. Its fun, quick and refined - unless you can stump up the extra for a DB9 (or possibly a GTC) then I have no idea what you would choose in its place. 3 stars from Whatcar...hmmm...

Mark Vasey, Hertfordshire, November 13th 2013

Supercharged V8 2dr Auto

I own an XKR and it's both superb to drive and stunning to look at. It turns heads in ways that (Daddy's) Porsche can't and has all the silky smooth performance that you'd ever need. It's much easier to drive than a 911 and is far more comfortable over any distance. These cars aren't intended to be particularly practical yet the XKR has sufficient space to function as a true GT.

Tim Ingram, September 22nd 2013

Supercharged V8 R 2dr Auto

What car rate this 3 stars! Compared to what?? A DB9 costing Β£2k a year to service? A Ferrari you'd have to mortgage the kids to insure? A Lambo that won't go over speed bumps? Come on. This is a versatile machine. A hatchback with a decent boot so you can go shopping. A touring car you can take your partner away in (leave the kids home as the rear "seats" are useless). A work of art. Then, switch to dynamic mode, sport shifts, paddles to manual...and unleash the dogs of war. 503bhp is a lot in a car that weighs only 1,600kg. I cannot go more than two days without driving it. Utterly intoxicating. 0-60 in 4.6sec is largely unachievable as you need a warm, dry, grit-free surface and nobody around. So forget all that nonsense and instead just get on an A-road and go overtake someone. 50-70 in 1.9sec. Awesome, inspiring, adrenaline-inducing stuff. Then go find someone else and do it again. Spend all afternoon doing it. Bored yet? Nope. The stereo is very good but turn it down and listen to the V8 instead. Above a certain revs and throttle opening, the exhaust valves open up and it belows Wagner, Shostakovitch, Muse and Led Zep in unison. I average 20.5mpg, spend Β£500 a year on insurance and Β£450 a year on main dealer servicing. It is, therefore, only Β£1000 a year more expensive to run than my Alfa Mito (ignoring the depreciation of course!). Well built, georgeous looks. Wonderful car.

Jeff Ward, May 25th 2013

Supercharged V8 R 2dr Auto

I took delivery only 7 days ago (replacing an XK Porfolio). Gorgeous to look at, stunning to drive, super quick but beautiful handling in all conditions, the new 2012 XKR is a gem. Of course it's expensive but worth every penny in my humble opinion. It makes me grin every time I get in it. From the moment of awakening this impecable cat when the ignition button is pressed and the supercharged V8 roars into life, this is a driver's car built for the sheer pleasure of driving at pace in comfort. Jaguar have come so far from the old "Gentleman's Club" on wheels to today's modern understated luxury - brushed aluminium facia, piano black inserts, phosphorous blue glow lighting to the instrument panel and incredibly comfortable seats make this a grand tourer fit to eat up the miles. Breathtaking performance from the 510bhp supercharged V8 but remarkably quiet (apart from that lovely V8 noise) except when drowned out by the wonderful Bowers & Wilkins Hi-Fi. I would also say that the dealer (H A Fox of Guildford) have been brilliant from ordering to handover making the whole experience as much of a pleasure as the car itself. In considering changing my car, I looked at both the Aston Martin Vantage S and the Lotus Evora but the Jaguar XKR beats them on the factors that are important to me in choosing - performance, comfort, handling, quality of finish, standard specification, looks and value for money. And I have driven over 800 miles this week alone - just for the sheer enjoyment.

Christopher Marks, Surrey, February 3rd 2012

Supercharged V8 Portfolio 2dr Auto

Having taken delivery of my car 2 weeks ago, I have travelled 1700 miles - mainly just for the sheer pleasure! The performance is breathtaking, handling exceptional and it remains comfortable and quiet (except for the lovely V8 noise and supercharger whine) at all times. I tried a DB9 and V8 Vantage - both of which looked stunning but were ultimately disappointing (poor quality, unusable day to day). The 6 series BMW was too soulless and the Porsche 911 has never really appealed. I considered a Maserati Granturismo however my local dealer (JCT 600) are somewhat lacking in any form of customer service skills, and I think I am still a bit young for a Bentley (at heart anyway). Anyway back to the XKR - the interior is a great place to be, superbly made from high quality materials, intuative touch screen controls and a fantastic Hi Fi (Bowers & Wilkins). The dealer I bought the car from have been great (Hatfields of Wakefield) with a superb handover and introduction to all the staff. Running costs are high but to complain about running costs on a car like this would be ridiculous. There really is nothing else that compares to this car, I thought I might regret not getting the Aston however that has not been the case even once. I will update the report once I have covered a few more miles if I can drag myself out of the car.

Paul Brown, W Yorkshire, November 18th 2007

V8 2dr Auto

I have owned this car for four months and, frankly, it would be pedantic to quote my insignificant criticisms. Basically it is a fabulously built car and a delight to drive. It has so many enjoyable facets - the driving position, the sight of that long bonnet stretching out in front, the sound of the exhausts, the visual feast of design details when walking to or away from it and the simplicity of the touch-screen for every function (absolutely no need to read the manual whatsoever)... I could go on! To whoever wrote "my father currently has a Porsche 911"... Well, so did I - an 02-registered 911 Carrera 4, and I was disappointed in almost every aspect from the moment I purchased it (I got carried away with the image and associated kudos). It never satisfied in any area from quality, equipment, or finish - the one exception was the handling, but in that the Jaguar comes very, very close.

Nick Pickerill, Dorset, September 13th 2007

Premium Supercharged 2dr Auto

'04 XKR. Very fast car.And very easy to drive fast,can be driven very slowly,also.Good ride quality,supple,yet taught,good fun on twisty A-roads.Very quiet inside. Excellent Interior. Reliability is the weakpoint,I'm sad to say. I bought mine with 20,000 miles on the clock,full Jaguar main dealer History. One week after buying it,Amber Engine warning light illuminates(restricted performance),Jaguar clear it,then driving home from repair,it appears again. This happens another two times! Finally,the fault is solved,and two months/250miles of happy Jag ownership pass by,when today,guess what happens? Yep,the Amber Engine warning light illuminates(restricted performance). This is poor,Jaguar! What's the point of building a car,when the dealer can't find the fault,let alone fix it? Suddenly my "Dream Car" is becoming a bit of a nightmare. I may have been spoilt by 10 years of reliability from various Honda's,but at least they do 80,000miles without anything going wrong! It's the same old story isn't it,Japanese Manufacturer makes car (NSX 3.2 V-6) just as fun as British sports coupe,then tramples all over British Firm with more reliability than old Father Time Himself! Didn't this happen 35 Years ago with the British Motorcycle Industry?!!! Unreliability is just another reason not to get one.If You're A Jaguar Fan,You Buy with Your Heart And Not Your Head!

Steven Noye, August 29th 2007

Supercharged V8 2dr Auto

I bought the XKR in Lunar Grey last week and it was the best decision I have made in a long time. I had to chuckle at a previous review: 'Daddy drove a 911' - I traded my Porsche in for the Jaguar, which was not comparable in terms of prestige and comfort in the cabin. It's the best-looking car on the market and comes highly recommended to anybody.

Stephen Beverley, July 19th 2007

V8 2dr Auto

Having owned the previous shape XK8 for 5 years, I have now owned the new shape since launch in March 2006. The car has exceeded my expectations. The handling has a very secure feeling and no compromise to the ride quality. Performance is more than adequate although the chassis could handle a lot more power. Auto gearbox is seemless with paddles for gearchange that are wonderful, intuitive to use and as good as a manual box when you want control. The quality of the interior is high with a very easy to use SatNav/Audio etc system - no need to read the hand book - just 20 minutes with my excellent dealer on hand over told me all I needed to know and the rest is common sense. Criticisms - the secondhand value is dropping rather too quickly already and the oft criticised radio aerial gets oily when down so this oil can get on clothing when reaching into the boot. The bluetooth connection now works most of the time and Jaguar's reaction to my initial problems with it was shocking - I had just paid Β£65,000 and expected the technology to work - their reply was that they had launched the car to work with mobile phones designed in 2004 not 2006!! Luckily the dealer persisted and solved the issue. My message - in my view, every bit as good as an Aston. I had a V8 Vantage on order and took delivery of the XK through choice - I simply felt it was the better car to use every day.

Mark Lane, HAMPSHIRE, April 9th 2007

Supercharged V8 2dr Auto

I'm afraid I have to disagree with all you other people up there! My father currently has a Porsche 911, and he was looking to replace it, so we test drove the XK. I have to say that it was rubbish - how could you compare this to a jet? It's boring, the interior plastics are dull, build quility is awful, and the car wouldn't start when we started our test drive. None of you other people mention 911s, because, in case you didn't know, it a fair few grand cheaper, much quicker, it would leave an XK for dead any day, is much faster, and it's nice inside. I'm afraid all that's going for the XK is its looks - and the Aston Martin is an even better looker and only a little more expensive. No-one should buy this rubbish car; you should either get the far better, more fun 911, or spend a little more and get the real deal - the Aston Martin Vantage.

tom davies, hants, March 13th 2007

V8 2dr Auto

I have had a demo for a few hours and tested the car fully... WOW. This is a Jaguar for the 21st century. The car is well built, looks stunning, handles very well for a big car, and what a noise from the V8. I will be looking to place an order sometime soon.

DAVE NICHOLLS, NORTH SOMESET, January 10th 2007

Supercharged V8 2dr Auto

I test-drove the Jaguar XK in the summer of 2006 and, boy, what a motor - it's comparable to flying a jet. It was smooth, exilharating and so, so comfortable - you had to watch the speedo. I only wish my Jaguar could go as fast. It's a beautiful car with all the toys. Well done, Jaguar!

david stokes, somerset, December 27th 2006

V8 2dr Auto

I traded in my Mercedes SL350 for this Jag and it was the best decsision I have ever made. It is very well built and solid. Wonderful to drive on the motorway AND the city, unlike the Merc. Touch Screen helps keep your eyes on the road as there is no fiddly knob. A wonderful car all round, I woudl recommend it to anyone.

Oliver Shawo, December 20th 2006

2dr Auto

This is my first Jaguar, which I have now had for three years. The build quality is good and I have had few mechanical problems to date. The only one I recall was a difficulty with the automatic window setting for door opening/closing. This turned out to be a slack lead on the battery. I enjoy driving my XK8, but the driving position is cramped and visibility is poor. I'm glad I elected to have rear parking sensors fitted. All in all, it's a fun car to drive but somewhat impractical for normal day-to-day usage.

Robert McLean, Northumberland, March 21st 2006

2dr Auto

This is my first Jaguar, and my rating is based on two years of motoring, having covered 20,000 miles. First, the good points. It has great lines, character, presence and looks more expensive than it actually is. The engine and gearbox are sublime, too, and the interior is of a very high quality and great for long distance comfort. The Jag is economical - I get on average 27mpg, with an equal mixture of town and motorway driving. It has an excellent air-conditioning system, with hot and cold air on demand. It also has a good stereo, though not up to Lexus standards. Now the bad points: the XK crashes over bumps, wallows round bends and has light steering. In short, it's ungainly. Also, despite endless fiddling with the electric seats, I haven't got really comfortable. The bonnet is long and it's difficult to judge and the turning circle. You really must have rear sensors! I've also found it impracticale - it has a tiny glovebox, two awkwardly placed cupholders and no door storage. The rear seats and boot are too small. In terms of value for money, this car cost in excess of Β£50,000 new, which didn't include cupholders, satellite-navigation, external door rub strips or memory positions for the seats. So, where does this leave my summing up? It's a car to buy with your heart. I love the looks, speed and refinement. You need to learn to live with the visibility, impracticality and handling. Apart from that, I guarantee you'll feel great each time you get into it.

jon reeves, hants, January 5th 2006

2dr Auto

The XK8 4.2 Coupe that I now own is my second XK and is a far smoother car than the 4 litre that I previously owned. In nearly 5 years of XK ownership, I have had total reliability and no major faults with either car. The servicing costs have been reasonable and the fuel consumption from the 4.2 is around 25mpg on a run - although this drops to 17mpg around town. The best thing about the car is the way it looks. Launched in 1996, the car continues to look good after nine years in production. The engine and gearbox are strong and smooth and the ride is very good. The faults with the car are the very limited headroom in the front and the handling which does not match the BMW 328i that I owned in 1998. I look forward to seeing the new XK that is due to be launched in 2006. I have an early one ordered and have been to Geneva to view the concept car. The looks are stunning and I hope some of the packaging issues have been resolved as I am getting older and the current shape is getting more difficult to get out of as I approach 40!!

mark LANE, HAMPSHIRE, August 23rd 2005

Supercharged 2dr Auto

Living in the land of cheap petrol, low-ish insurance and generally high-speed motoring, (Dubai), I recently bought a brand new XKR Coupe from the local dealership. It's in Jag Racing Green. Nice wheels and embedded sports kit add finishing touches to what I have always thought was an extremely good-looking car. Competition for the purchase was the Porsche (997) and Boxster S. The Porsches are both outstanding to drive and will probably get you where you want to go quicker than the XKR, but the overall look, presence and refinement of the XK was overwhelmingly decisive. The XKR is tremendously powerful. Not just pulling away, but all the way up the range - you never feel it lacking. Its handling is good, although not in the Porsche league, but somehow it doesn't seem to matter too much. The XKR is all about style and not setting record times to the office and back every day. Despite what reviewers say, I find the interior quite spacious enough, and my two teenage children have often sat in the back for short journeys provided you don't mind being cramped in the front for a while. You can't do that in a Porsche. Gripes? Well none at the moment but ground clearance has to be watched and the audio system is average for a car of this level. The egine sound is also rather nondescript - I'm sure the new model will address this. I actually prefer the current model to the new one – particularly inside - and I got a good price in the bargain. A Jaguar XKR is a

Joe O'Brien, May 21st 2005