Mazda CX-7 4x4 Owner reviews

d Sport Tech 5dr

Great car to drive, every conceivable option, reasonably priced. average boot space, good honest MPG considering its size. handles really well, good motorway cruiser in a very quiet luxurious cabin. Looks are subjective but, to me, it is the best looking SUV. It is a big car though, so see if you can park it before you buy it, the rear view camera helps but becomes useless when it rains

Tamar Elkholy, Dorset, June 17th 2012

d Sport Tech 5dr

Okay, in truth I would say a 3 1/2 overall rating. How WhatCar come back with an overall rating of 2 stars is beyond my understanding. Performance, ride and handling are all in line with what you would expect for a heavy car with this power. Sometimes you may just wish there was a little more 'go' especially in 6th gear where it really is about just cruising at a constant speed. Refinement, buying and owning are again okay. Fuel economy is average rather than great. Quality is decent. Nice leather, but some of the plastics are a little 'hard.' Reliability has been great as seems to be the case with Mazda. I believe the car only scored 4 on crash test which is a surprise given the size and mass of the car. Security seems okay, though I have never tried breaking into the car :-) The centre console is a bit of a frightening site with lots of buttons on the stereo, but use the steering wheels controls and you are set. The navigation system is okay at best, but the rear camera is a useful as standard equipment. The boot space is not huge (we have a roof box for family holiday trips) but the cabin space is good and the ride is comfortable. As for equipment. I am not sure there is anything key missing as standard equipment. Again, WhatCar seem a little hard, giving the car only 4 stars when the car comes with a long standard equipment list. I am sure WharCar have there logic to ratings, but I am not sure advertising and favors do not play a part .. 2 stars!

Michael Ireland, February 18th 2012

T 5dr

I have owned this 2009 CX7 for 5 months and love it. I have in the past run a number of 4X4’s including a Range Rover Vogue. The CX7 runs rings around them, the performance is phenomenal and the luxury equipment and fittings are superb. What Car is wrong when it says there is no front and rear parking sensors and it does have a passenger airbag on/off switch. As said before by other reviewers fuel consumption is on the high side and one reviewer stated incorrectly that there isn’t a trip computer. My trip computer tells me I am averaging 20.7mpg when driven very hard, 27.2mpg when my wife is in the car. The only fault, registered on the electronic history, is a faulty automatic rain sensor. It is a little wider than most 4X4’s however this adds to its stability and handling is in the realms of sports cars. I haven’t tried it in the snow yet but, it has been a lot further off-road than Mazda would recommend, ploughing through knee deep extremely slippery mud, very rough tracks going through streams with steep entrances and awkward exits and even fording a large river. This car makes me smile every time I get into it and I even find myself looking back at it when I get out.

Roderick lawrie, February 10th 2012

d Sport Tech 5dr

Had the car for 10 months and covered 10K miles. Very refined drive and more toys than you never need. Four wheel drive was invaluable last winter. I use the car to tow a caravan witha 1550Kg weight & you hardly know its there.Hill starts are no pronlem with the amount bof torque from the engine. Although emmisions are said to be high I am going to Germany for holidays and have received a Green ( cleanest level) sticker for emmisons allowing me into the centre of some cities. Dont know why its not more popular, I have only seen two on the road in 10 months round S Yorkshire.

andrew Goodwin, s yortks, June 29th 2011

T 5dr

Okay, read no further if economy is what you are looking for...it loves petrol but and it's a very big but if you want something that looks fantastic, is brilliantly put together and is a joy to drive then read on. First of all you will be part of a very exclusive club, I have seen one other CX 7 in 3 weeks and that was 100 miles from home! Very well equipped, quality materials and what should be Mazda's legendary reliability means your ownership should be relatively stress free. Minor gripes - small turning circle, seat belt adjustment could be better, non folding electric mirrors Major praise - Engine, handling, equipment, looks, rarity. I love this car and it looks great, if you do see one have a good look. Buying an approved used Mazda meant that I got a full years Mazda warranty.

Tom Baker, June 2nd 2011

T 5dr

My wife owns the car, however we share the driving of it. It is by far the best 4wd that either of us has driven, it is so car like to drive. I tow the caravan with it, it is very dificult to keep the towing speed within legal limits! If you check out the Autocar magazine website you will see this car has a zero to sixty mph of 6.8 seconds not the 8 seconds as mentioned in your report. The car averages about 25 mpg, however with petrol prices dropping this is not a problem. Insurance on our multicar policy is only Β£177 and servicing is cheap for a 4wd. The only large expense is the road tax. The finish of the car is good, however the quality of the door trim in the back is not the same as the trim in the front, why? We would recommend this car to anyone.

john forsyth, clackmannanshire, December 29th 2008

T 5dr

This is one of those cars that when you first see it, you're just not sure. However, get behind the wheel, and you can see what all the fuss is about. Mazda market the CX-7 as a sports crossover - neither saloon car or SUV but somewhere in between. I prefer to look at it as a large saloon, since it's ground clearance is too low (like the Vauxhall Frontera of the early '90s) to be a serious off-roader. On the road though, it has exceptional road manners, has a lively engine, and the chassis and suspension can be thrown into corners with aplomb. I'm very impressed with the comfort and space of the interior, plus being a petrol engined manual was karma to my ears - I was in heaven. Yes, the emissions are high thus causing the road tax to be expensive, but this is only a slight inconvienence when the car is viewed as an overall package. I'm impressed.

Stuart Tidman, Warwickshire, June 9th 2008

T 5dr

I had a 55 X5 3.0d prior. All I can say is that its a better car in many ways. I chose this car as I do not do a lot of miles. Pros: Fantastic drive compared to others and I tested a lot of its competitors. It handles very well like a sporty car not a 4x4). Build quality and reliability seem good and should be. Good value for money I bought mine ex demo and saved 5k and its like new, standard kit is great. Cons: Emmissions, mpg, no sat nav. For those who don't want auto its OK and I did not (you can get Jap versions thought). Audio in is an extra (IPOD user) should be standard! Display for radio / features in good position but could be bigger. No diesel but coming soon not sure if it will be the same car to drive though, if it is then I may be trading in.

Mark Turner, February 25th 2008

T 5dr

I have owned this car (in aussie form) for 6 months now averaging 12 l/100km down as low as 8.5 l/100km and as high as 18 l/100km. Overall it is a brilliant drive with the 6 speed auto providing seemless shifts and in manual mode full control over the transmission. The only 2 things that can be improved upon are the stability control can not be disengaged and the headlights poor range. I traded a Mazda 3 sp23 (2.3 lt) on this car and have not been disappointed. It has good clearance for dirt road driving and getting on and off building sites. Everyone that has been in it likes the ride comfort and ease of entry (including our 2 beardies) Overall I would buy another.

Michael Richer, Australia, January 26th 2008

T 5dr

I've read Roland's review and altho his salesman was candid about mpg, he didn't do a good job detailing all the standard 'goodies'! True there is no Sat Nav, but it does indeed have a trip computer, as well as climate control, parking sensors front and rear, cruise control, 6 CD changer, leather, auto wipers, auto lights - all as standard!

Ken White, renfrewshire, January 24th 2008

T 5dr

I took this model out for an hour's test drive recently with a view of maybe coming out of the Co. car scheme, or buying a newer second family car for both my wife and I to use. The car is good to look at and goes really well, with very strong pull in all gears. The turn in is sharp and it feels well tied down in terms of damping and braking. The clutch has a very sharp take up and the ride is hard particularly so on less than smooth roads where there is some side to side rocking, strong evidence I think of the anti roll bars at work. I think in town this could be tiresome with speed humps, etc. On the open road, motorways, A -roads, etc I think the car would come into it's own. The salesman was quite candid about the mpg; there is no trip computer but he said the car would return low to mid 20's in mpg. With a 15 gal tank again this could become tiresome in terms of range, and cost. The car is certainly built to a (good)price - the basics are there, but no computers, displays, sat navs etc..even as options. The maths for me against other similar but more expensive cars like the Nissan Murano, or Lexus RX would be the purchase price (low) versus the high running costs / equipment and comfort. I'd like to see some other's reviews, but it is tempting as it's such a good drive - It's hard to forget the bad mpg, but it does have plenty of power. It's not really an option for co. car drivers though, the CO2 emmissions would generate lots of tax and fuel charges.

Roland Grant, Middx, January 24th 2008