Mercedes-Benz E-Class Cabriolet Owner reviews

0 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY SE 4dr

I have the latest E220 SE model which MB manufacture. In 2014 MB produced a face lift model and they slimmed down the models to choose from..to the SE or AMG. The SE is the more conservative relaxed model and AMG more sporty aggressive looking brother. I am a company car driver and in 12 months have covered 60k miles. My E220 SE is the best car ive owned. Comfort is brilliant, the SE comees with all the gadgets and technology as standard. I tested Audi/BMW before choosing the MB, But from a company car drivers perspective, the rivals don't come close, excellent low CO2 emissions, and no need to spec up on expensive add ons which you have to with rival brands. The sat nav comand system is brilliant, I can hookup my iPhone, plays movies, Google, Internet radio and navigate using the Scroll wheel. command screen is large/clear with user friendly narration. I've driven accross Europe 3 times and it's never given a wrong direction, the live traffic info for autorerouting is excellent. There's masses of storage space, large centre console to hide keys etc, under seat storage,2 front 2 rear cup holders large enough for 1 litre bottles, 3 x 12v power sockets,, the climate control system is brilliant,much quieter than audi, best economy ive had is 75mpg! I do drive it hard and still return 50mpg, choose the 70ltr fuel tank and you'll only need to refuel every 1000+miles, opt for the LED intelligent lights, they are fantastic, clear visability, best all round company car you will

Richard Usher, March 20th 2015

0 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY SE 2dr

I bought this car few weeks ago and I'm enjoying every bit of it. The E350 CGI 19" is the best car I ever had. I thank God for it.

tunde sofowora, kent, December 30th 2014

0 BlueTEC Hybrid SE 4dr 7G-Tronic

E300 Bluetec Hybrid HV63GWG This has got to be the worst car I have ever had the misfortune to have and I've had a few dogs on my time. It has spent more time with the dealer than on the road since I bought it new last year. Drivetrain problems battery problems software problems you name it I've had it. In fact I've had it with this car. The dealership isn't much better 60 days it was in for last time while they tried to locate a fault with the hybrid battery (car wouldn't start on electric power which is the only way to start the car ) I asked them to fix a few other minor niggles while it was there and we forgot was there answer when I picked it up. In for service now and asked again about fixing the interior lights again 4th time of asking to be told we need to order the parts again hang on weren't they ordered last time but you forgot to fit them.

Tony Ashley, berkshire, December 23rd 2014

0 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY SE 2dr

I have owned this car for 6 months from new. I added just about everything going so I have had a chance to try out a lot of the extras. Other reviews said it was a bit noisy, well it is a diesel but is much quieter than my BMW 520ED. The stop start is quite and seamless. Power wise is is good. The 7 speed gearbox is great. Build quality is good, I have had a couple of niggles like a leaky door seal so a bit of wind noise which had to be sorted out. Sports suspension is hard but road holding good for my level of driving. Extras: AMG Sport line- Looks great on rims and mats plus skirts look cool 19" Rims- look amazing but watch out easy to kerb the rims as I found out! Memory Pack- Worth having if you have more that one driver and multi front seat passengers. Drivers Assit Pack - A must, includes lane assist Presafe and Distronic. Lane assist is of little help really except on motorways, presafe is only of help if you crash so I cant comment, Distronic is really good and works well in slow creeping traffic and on motorways BUT BEWARE it does not detect stationary traffic! Rear airbags- Vital for passenger safety Airscarf- A must for roof down Comfort ventilated seats- Pointless LED Intelligent lighting- Excellent a must. Live traffic Information- excellent on Satnav Speed limit assist- Must have Folding mirrors- worth having Telephone pre-wiring - pointless use Bluetooth Reverse camera good, add front also as low suspension means easy to hit pavement when parki

Marsh Gibson, Somerset, November 18th 2014

0 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY SE 4dr

People compare this E class to the BMW 5 series but they are missing the point; nothing under Β£50 grand can transport 4 people in total comfort and luxury on a 4 hour motorway journey like this E can. Yes if you want to thrash a car along a B road like a nutter then get yourself a BMW. If you want space, comfort, luxury and a supple ride this is the car for you. I've had mine 3 years and just put an order in for the coupe, it will be my 3rd Mercedes and I see myself growing old with Mr Benz. Build quality is excellent and not so much as a squeak or rattle out of the car in 60,000 miles. The 220 CDi has been extremely frugal, on one early morning traffic free motorway journey with cruise at 70 mph non stop for 2 hours I achieved an incredible 70.1 mpg! Tons of kit as standard, the COMMAND system knocks spots of the iDrive. I'd recommend this car to anyone who's looking for space, luxury, comfort, and who appreciates the finer things in life. If you want to be a nutter...buy a BMW.

Keith Dockrell, Somerset, November 15th 2014

0 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Sport 2dr

This is a remarkable car, the best I've ever owned. >> People approach to volunteer compliments on the car's appearance. My coupe is a very dark blue(ish)grey called Tanzanite, with 19 inch AMG wheels and the palest grey leather interior. >> The engineering is superb. Mine has a modest 4 cylinder 2.1 diesel but with twin sequential turbos and 7 speed Mercedes auto gearbox which can be controlled with flappy paddles if you desire. This is combined with the lowest drag (for a production car)to give 50+ mpg on open roads and never less than 30+ on 2 mile trips around town. There is zero turbo lag and 0 to 60 in just over 7 seconds so you would need a stopwatch to tell the difference with the latest petrol Golf GTI. >> There are lots of safety-related features. Example, a driver alert system to warn if you are becoming drowsy ... which took 10 years to develop. Fully automatic headlights with an incredibly bright but controlled light-pattern, which follows bends in the road and dips or main-beams much better/faster than any human, and which illuminate at 90 degrees so you can see if you turn the steering wheel or indicate below 10 mph. Basic functions on the radio/cd/phone/satnav can all be controlled by your voice. >> The all-round driving experience is not as good as my BMW 3 series coupe used to be. But that is because nothing in my opinion, could be better than that particular car ... However, ownership of this Mercedes-Benz provides me with lots of smiles per gallon!

Massy Stewart, October 24th 2014

0 BlueTEC AMG Line 2dr 7G-Tronic

After 4 years, I've just changed from a 2010 (yr) E250 Saloon to a 2014 (yr) E250 Coupe. Positives: The Coupe is OK to drive ... maybe even fun. Looks cool (I think). Negatives: The overall build quality is not nearly as good as the Saloon was ... mainly little niggling things. The DAB radio in the Coupe is poor. Very poor. To the point of being unusably poor. Mercedes say it is DAB signal quality ... utter nonsense !!! My previous E250 Saloon had no problems and my wife's Ford Focus has no problems. The MPG is not nearly what is stated in the Mercedes marketing brochure ... they state the combined mpg is 57+. I'm a conservative 50+ year old driver and I'm only able to get 35+ mpg. Not even close.

Peter Shields, antrim, October 13th 2014

0 CDI AMG Sport 2dr

Peter Shields, antrim, October 13th 2014

0 CDI AMG Line 5dr 7G-Tronic

The most uncomfortable car I have ever driven. Seats and seat backs hard. Suspension hard. Accelerator offset at 45 degrees so right leg/hip twisted round to right with torso arms facing forwards. At the same time ridges of hard padding on the sides of the seats dig into thighs particularly on right thigh as this is at 45 degrees to reach accelerator and ridge of padding is lined up straight ahead. Ridge of padding on seat back impinges onto arms which have to be held up and out otherwise some steering is not possible. The foot rest for the left leg is lower than depressed position of accelerator pedal so while hips are twisted to the right to reach off set accelerator pedal the right leg/hip is also higher than the left OR the left foot has to support itself on tiptoe. I hired this car for the weekend prior to purchasing one which I will now not be doing. Am writing this review in the early hours after being woken by hip pain caused by the driving position in this car. Despite all the adjustments of seat position possible it is not possible to find one that is comfortable. It is very distracting to be so uncomfortable. Detracts from all the work they've done on safety.

julia szajdzicka, WEST YORKSHIRE, July 29th 2014

0 CDI AMG Sport 5dr 7G-Tronic

julia szajdzicka, WEST YORKSHIRE, July 29th 2014

0 BlueTEC Hybrid SE 4dr 7G-Tronic

I've done 10,000 miles since getting E300. I agonised over all the usual exec saloons and had extended test drives with them all (at least a weekend). Yes the 520/525 is more fun to drive, as is the Jag and the A6 and BMW both have nicer interiors. That's not to say the E300 is bad to drive or has a horrible interior. It feels pretty hefty when thrown about and the gear box can be infuriating at times, but it still has enough about it to make you grin on a good A road, and the interior is actually very practical and hard wearing in real world use. But this is all missing the point of this car. It's quick enough, it's incredibly frugal, it's very comfortable and has so many toys as standard you'll neglect half of them after the honeymoon is over. The hybrid part of the drive train is very discrete, so much so you forget about it after a few weeks, this is a much better implantation than the neon lights and whistles you get in a Lexus (and yes I had one of those for a weekend too). Privately it doesn't make all that much sense but as a mile munching company car the E300 is hard to beat. I love it.

Marcel Darroch-Davies, Wiltshire, March 13th 2014

0 BlueTEC AMG Sport 5dr 7G-Tronic

I bought a new E350 Estate in January 2014. The front passenger and driver's seat are by far the most uncomfortable in any car I have ever experienced. The infinite variations in the electronic seats make it impossible to adjust comfortably. The seats are too hard, and Mercedes has skimped on the padding The side bolsters to the seat pad have no flexibility and the back rest sent me to the consultant with a false alarm about kidney cancer. The dealer's (and Mercedes Benz customer service's) response is to say = can't make seats to fit everyone but we can sell you a new C class. My advice unless you are prepared to have the seats reupholstered (thereby avoiding the warranty) don't buy one.

Robert Bourne, London, March 10th 2014

0 CDI AMG Sport 5dr 7G-Tronic

I have now owned this particular 2013 (63) model for 6 months covering 5500 miles. My average fuel consumption since delivery is 37mpg with a mix of local driving but mainly motorway use. My best run measured 48mpg over 100 miles. I opted for the AMG model for its looks. The aggressive front spoiler really sets the car off and being aged 38 the SE I felt was for the older gentlemen. The air suspension really helps with the ride of which is very comfortable. I also particularly like Alcantara seats rather than full leather but it is a shame the Alcantara is synthetic and not as hard wearing as the real material. I have 3 dogs of which are swallowed up by the huge boot on this load lugger. The electric boot lid is very handy indeed. I have always had an Audi with my last model being the Q7. This car is every bit as good as the Q7 but with much better economy. I also opted for the service pack which helps with the running costs of the vehicle over 3 years before I change my car again. If ownership continues like it is now I will certainly stick with Mercedes. I have had the privacy glass added to the vehicle as I carry dogs but I also think it improves the looks considerably. I had mine carried out independently as it is twice the price on the Mercedes options list. Other than that, the standard vehicle has such a high specification there really is little need to visit the options list. If I had a spare Β£1800 I would opt for the upgraded headlights but is not necessary.

Mark Rees, Berkshire, February 24th 2014

0 CDI AMG Line 5dr 7G-Tronic

Mark Rees, Berkshire, February 24th 2014

5dr Auto

My vehicle is 2012 model with performance pack giving 555 BHP. Having owned an E320 CDI and then a E350 CDI this car is superb to drive. Difficult to get anywhere near quoted fuel consumption figures but have managed 28 mpg on a 65mph 50 mile journey. (Car not bought for fuel economy!). Equipment level superb as is all round finish.

Philip Cross, Angus, January 7th 2014

0 CDI SE 5dr

The other reviews posted here (below) all seem to be for the old model E-Class estate. I bought mine new in May 2013 and it is the current model. I've now covered 8,000 miles and it has been a real pleasure to drive. In fact I would say it is one of the best cars that I've ever owned. It's quiet and smooth and it is surprisingly quick for a large diesel estate that weighs almost two tons. The level of standard equipment is impressive. About the only thing that it doesn't have is a sunroof. I've averaged 38.7 MPG over the past eight months on a mixture of short runs and motorway driving. On a long run I've achieved 48 MPG. I recommend the SE model mainly because the suspension is far more comfortable for day-to-day driving and it comes with a real leather interior. Unlike the AMG Sport which has much harder suspension and Mercedes man-made Artico "leather". I don't agree with the comments about the four cylinder engines being harsh. I had an Audi A6 before and that was not as good as the Mercedes engine in any respect. My only slight criticism of the E-Class is that you tend to get some rear wheel spin on quick standing starts, but again my Audi was far worse. If you are looking for a large, comfortable, executive cruiser with a cavernous boot this has to be on the list of cars to test drive.

Steve Marston, Hampshire, January 2nd 2014

0 CGI BlueEFFICIENCY SE 2dr Tip Auto

Simply "Sumptuous". Each time I drive the car it gives you a fabulous feeling of quality and cosseting yet when you squeeze on the power it swiftly and effortlessly accelerates down the road with acceptable road manors for such a large coupe. Room for 4 fully grown adults (remember you have bought the coupe because it is a Coupe) if you want / need more space buy a saloon! Fantastic audio, super sleek 7 speed auto this is a fantastic "mature" persons car capable of eating up the miles at speed without drama or fuss. I looked at Audi, BMW, Jaguar amongst others yet the looks and quality feeling of the Merc just kept calling me back Others may look faster on paper but are dated in looks that don't draw appreciating comments as the Merc Running cost are excellent with mpg on motorways 55 and combined in the 40's Ownership feel good factor 10/10 All day

Phillip Edney, Berkshire, October 5th 2013

0 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Sport 4dr

As the latest 2013 model, it does look good. The front like a old model 5 series and the rear looks like the previous e class. This car looks huge both inside and out. Good points - Lovely interior, leather, classy trim, chunky yet soft feel steering wheel. Great radio sat nav with ipod inputs. feels really special. Good white headlights. Its so smart, I feel I have to dress accordingly, feel odd getting out of it in some old T shirt! Niggly points: The speedo is hard to read as the tiny needle is only on the outside on the dial and the middle is dominated by this bright lcd display that you cant turn off. Its really annoying. Steering feels vague and disconnected, which spoils the drive, it could feel so much sportier. Paddle shift and sport mode is pointless on a diesel, as it doesn't rev much. I haven't worked out the collision warning all I know is that is beeps going past lorries on dual carriageways which is annoying. There is no loose change container, it just slops around in the central armrest, it was much better on the c class. The 220 is the lowest and a bit small for the car. Overall though, lovely car, no regrets at all

alan peters, October 2nd 2013

0 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Sport 5dr

I bought this car in Ayr during October 2012 and the personal leasing deal was second to none. Here lies the issue. I admit that I bought on price and yes you know what I am about to say now - I then repenting at my leisure. I have owned 9 Mercedes previously and apart from the notorious rear wheel drive/automatic issue during Scottish winters (you put the car in the garage and drive your daughters VW Polo if you want to go anywhere) I have been happy. The issue - the seats. In my opinion and I can see a few comments buried in the text from other reviewers, you cannot adjust them easily and if you get the car serviced please ask the dealer NOT to move them. The main gripe is the firmness of the lower bolsters, the back rest bolsters are also a little firm to say the least, I felt like I was placing my right thigh on a very firm piece of foam with a metal bar running up the length of my leg. We experience changes physically as we get older and I guess my body (in my 50's) is not a supple as it once was, but I just could not get comfortable. The dealer did work with me to solve the issue, they fitted a new seat base, tried a cushion or we can sell you a new car, more Β£ per month and a C Class! The discomfort continued. So what did I do to rectify the issue? I lost Β£4,000 and traded the Mercedes for a very nice Audi A6 2.0L TDI S Line Avant and I am comfortable again. My experience says that I will never buy Mercedes again so make sure you test out the seat comfort thoroughly.

Martyn Jones, Ayrshire, June 9th 2013

0 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Sport 4dr Tip Auto

It does everything I had previously read about an E350...quiet, relaxed, refined and effortless in the way it covers distance in serene quiet and comfort. 70 mph is barely 1700rpm, 2000 rpm = 85 mph, and even then there is no wind or road noise. I agree the 7Spd auto is slow witted at times, it hesitates momentarily on occasions before changing gear. Mercedes really should do something about this; it spoils a great car needlessly. The 3.0 Litre V6 diesels is a gem, much quieter and smoother than the 4 pot engines. It purrs on tick over and suits the car perfectly... or purrfectly.... power delivery is linear and the torque makes quick work of hauling the car swiftly, safely on overtaking moves. It’s no B road hot rod. If you want to hustle on B roads go buy a Golf GTI, or you will be disappointed. This is a big comfy quiet cruiser, its natural home is long distances on motorways or fast A roads. The seats are large, supportive and comfortable. Servicing costs are helped by taking out a service plan as a B service (25,000 mls) comes in at around Β£350+. Rear tyres (265/35 R18) last around 22,000 miles and at Β£175 each (Dunlop) are only Β£20 more than those for a Ford Focus titanium. I’ve covered 15,000 miles in 9 months, and loved every moment. On starting that V6 hum, then the leather heated seats and the Harmon -Kardon upgrade hi-fi will soon relax the stress of a hectic day from you. Would I recommend one? Yes? Would i have another?... most definitely!

Adrian Day, Cheshire, April 10th 2013