Skoda Felicia Hatchback (95 - 01) Owner reviews

GLi 5dr

I DROVE MINE FOR TWO YEARS,HAVING PURCHASED IT FROM A SKODA SPECIALIST.IT WAS ONE OWNER WITH FSH 19000MILES ,1998 1.3 GLI.THE PROBLEMS ENCOUNTERED WERE ONE OF THE REAR DOORS CENTRAL LOCKINGMOTORS KEPT FAILING THIS WAS FIXED BY REPLACING THE SOLINOID MOTOR.FIRST GEAR WAS VERY NOTCHY TO ENGAGE.THEIR WAS ALSO A STRANGE STALLING PROBLEM WERE THE CAR WOULD NOT RESTART UNLESS PUSHED OR LEFT FOR 10-15MINS THEN RESTARTFINE.GOOD POINTS WERE:THE BOOT WAS A GOOD SIZE,THE POWER STEERING WAS GOOD,AND I ALLWAYS THOUGHT THE CAR LOOKED GOOD FROM THE FRONT.I COVERED 13000MILES.

adrian gallop, hampshire, November 16th 2008

L 5dr

i owned this car, the T318KPV as i fondly remember her, for 5 years. then one day, i went mad and sold her to a friend, for a pittance. dont ask me why, but i regret that desicion ! the car is built like a battletank, handles like one and is spartan as well like a tank too![ got the base model here]. very good to run, nothing to go wrong in the car actually and the skoda retailer DM Keith in Wakefield was very friendly, honest and upright and very reasonable on pricing as well! i still dont know why i sold my car, the new owner refuses to sell it back to me !

shripad sathe, WEST YORKSHIRE, August 5th 2008

GLXi 5dr [D.Airbag]

Felicias have excellent points. Owners look after them, they are hugely practical, very cheap and the VW engines are superb. Even the 1.6 will deliver easily over 40mpg, but (see below) is too much for the car. Beware, though: Felicias are notorious for overheating (as mine has) but parts are cheap and DIY repairs incredibly easy. There are constant niggles: mainly electrical accessories and the boot release popping open at any time. The metal is paper thin, making dents easy and corrosion (always on the rear arches) a problem. This cannot be recommended for safety (though it has an airbag); it simply feels flimsy, the brakes are dreadful and it does not feel stable at speed (don't cruise beyond 65mph). Overall, if you can pay a few hundred for a cheap, low-mileage hack, fine. Otherwise go for something newer with thicker metal (Polo, Golf or go up to an Octavia estate) - all much cheaper than the hatchback.

David Brown, Kent, June 19th 2008

SLXi 5dr

I have owned my 1996 Felicia from new and it has never let me down. It has been a fantastic car, although the interior lets it down and I don't think the exterior has aged well. The running costs are quite high with it being the sporty 1.6 engine, but apart from that, it has plenty of power for the size of car - it surprises a lot of people. I have recently fitted twin 45s and a big valve head. The car has now done 175,000 miles and still going strong. All in all, it's a great car.

kevin smart, April 28th 2008

LXi 5dr

A few years ago I had a Felicia, though it was the estate version rather than the hatchback, but essentially the same car. It was hardly a head-turner, but it was rugged, reliable, unbreakable and reasonably comfortable. I averaged 16,000 miles a year in mine. It was a great load-lugger with good fuel economy. As I am not concerned about image and foolishness of that sort, it made a lot of sense as everyday transport. It had a certain charm, too, and it grew on me. The fact that it sailed through all its MOTs when it was nine years old helped a lot. In 2004 I exchanged it for a Focus C-Max; but I missed the dear old thing for a while afterwards. - The Rev. David Boulton

David Boulton, Warwickshire, January 10th 2008

D LX 5dr

On returning to the UK after living in Tunisia 3 years my father gave me his 98 registered Felicia deisel after driving a Honda Accord 1.8 from new since 1999 I was a bit shocked particularly as this engine has no turbo but it has soon impressed me with its strength durability and rugged charm not to mention its practibility in suburban london especially being able to find suitable parking spaces.I am not surprised to see so many cars of a similar age still still around.a great little work horse!

brian bennett, October 13th 2007

L 5dr

I have owned skodas since 1991 growing up with a series of estelles to my current modern (for me) felcia. i have owned this for about 6 years she runs like a dream, the only problems in all that time are normal wear and tear costs. I think she is lovely to drive sticks to the road like sh..t on a shovel! Excellent on the road in all weather conditions although I found like all skodas prone to overheating in hot weather if you are stuck in traffic for any length of time. My little beauty is a bit hard to park for my little lady arms because of the heavy steering but that is my only complaint. My 1996 model is starting to see a little rust on rear wheel arches now so time to act

karen heyes, west midlands, October 10th 2007

GLXi 5dr [D.Airbag]

More Skoda updates One incident was in April when a foreign trucker changed lane with my car still alongside but luckily escaped with nothing more then a bent rear panel. almost got written off! but now i have a new wing fitted so one less rusty panel to work on now. **was nothing more than a glancing blow at about 40-50mph I wouldn't say Skodas are prone to overheating in hot weather/standing traffic any other car is also prone. My Skoda overheated at the start of the summer. Coming home one evening and things didn't sound good but managed to limp home. However fitting a new radiator fan switch and thermostat soon fixed that issue and it has not caused any bother plus the head gasket is OK. So it has no ABS but the brakes haven't locked up on me. My Skoda is a strong, safe reliable car. I'm still happy with my dainty little Skoda. It does an excellent job and I certainly would buy another Skoda. Only real gripe is road tax gone up again which prob makes the higher powered 1.3 (67bhp ver?) the better buy.

prajesh solanki, greater manchester, January 9th 2007

LX 5dr

I am a previous owner of one of these vehicle (a 1997 model). I bought it as an ex-lease vehicle in June 2002 as a daily runabout and have done more than 50,000kms through my 3.5 yrs ownership. It is a no fun to drive car but serves its purpose extremely well...The vehicle required no repairs except for the shock absorbers, wishbones and front discs and pads but this is very normal after a car covers 110,000kms i guess...The 1.3 engine is nowhere near quick or silent but is very reliable though not very economic either.The driveability was much improved when a set of Monroe Reflex front struts were fitted.

David Galea, January 3rd 2007