TDI CR Bluemotion Tech SE 4dr

Company car driver. Having owned a Passat previously was looking forward to the Jetta. How wrong was I. Each of these issues will seem trivial by itself but as a whole really grind you down. Pros Feels solid. Cons Handbrake on RH drive car is on left. Brochure shows RH drive car with handbrake on right. If you put a bottle in the cupholder you can't use the handbrake. Steering wheel in low position block most of the dials ie speedo etc. I can't see the dial above 40mph! 25 years of cars and never had that problem. Why is there not an option to put the speed on the central multipurpose display? Afterall, it gives you lots of other useless information (that you can exclude). Heating control dials are almost impossible to read. They are very low down and angled wrong. If I turn the temp dial to cold it assumes you want the aircon on everytime. If I turn the temp dial to hot and onto windscreen it assumes I want aircon. Am I not allowed to work it out for myself? I am trying to save money in my BlueMotion mobile so why are you trying to make me pay more? The Cruise Control is a tiny rocker switch on the end of the indicator stalk. Terrible idea. VW need to take a look at the Mondeo steering wheel controls and see how it can be done and elegantly. I do around 750 miles a week and dont exceed speed limits. I don't accelerate harshly either yet the best I can do is 61mpg. Going up hills with cruise control on and trying to maintain 70mph is a challenge.

john cox, January 5th 2014

SE TDI PD 4dr

I bought my 9 month old Jetta during early December 2008, and have been really impressed by the overall quality and performance. This car is a joy to drive, very comfortable, and has impressive acceleration and high cruising speed capability, with overall running costs quite low for such a large car.This is a really impressive car, and I have no hesitation in giving this model my 100% satisfaction. I bought it for a bargain price from a well known National car supermarket,and a few days after purchase I saw exactly the same year and model on a local VW dealers forecourt priced at Β£3500 more than I paid for mine! Which really says a million words.

Brian Scott, Lancashire, February 13th 2009

SE TDI PD 4dr

hi have had my jetta 1.9tdi se for 5 months now and really pleased with it 50-53mpg Β£115 road tax insurance fully comp Β£160! and plenty of space this car is a real bargain brought used! i brought my car from inchcape bridgnorth and had a great deal! for years have always gone to carsupermarkets thinking the where cheaper!but check main dealers first you be pleasantly surprised with the cost to change!

david round, w.midlands, September 12th 2008

Sport TDI PD 4dr

very early days infact only one day old.brand new 58 plate sport dsg, what i can tel you at this very early stage is what a delight this car is compared to the pile of rubbish the car has replaced. i.e peugeot 407 . at long last i am driving a real car with massive differance in build quality and driveability. the vw jetta is a revalation . i know its early days but who cares i love it. will give you a further appraisal in a few months time but if your considering a new car i tried them all, go for the jetta,

andrew turner, essex, September 11th 2008

Sport TDI PD 4dr

I collected this car from new In january 2008 and so far have covered 14 k with no issues. I was disapointed that the car took 3 months to arrive, from ordering [Mexico]. Most options fitted such as leather seats, winter, sensor pack and sunroof. The tinted windows in the back are great for kids and really keep the car cool. i declined the wheel mounted stereo controls and climate control as this was way overpriced and should have been standard. VW did give a 10% discount [Hounslow] when they saw the internet price Quality is excellent except the IPOD connector this is not very secure and and slips when going round bends at times. The stereo has a great sound. The 2.0 TDI is more refined than the 1.9 TDI due to the 16 valves and quietens down after 5 mninutes and through the gears especially in 6th gear. i also noticed it burns oil betweens services and have put in 2 litres already. It stands out more than a golf as is less common The best part apart from the power , is the handling. The sport is less cushy than the SE but not firm . The car steers better than any car i have driven and is beutifully weighted. Overall it is very refined in the cabin no squeaks or rattles. The gearbox is good could be slicker and brakes are excellent. The sport interior is nice with all the metallic touches and the controls are clear. it is let down by the bland dials[speedo and rev counetr] . The car is very solid on the road in high winds.

Jason Denny, KENT, August 20th 2008

SE TDI PD 4dr

I have just bought an 8 month old Jetta and have had it 2 weeks, I have covered 700 miles, averaged over 53mpg and managed 625 miles on a full tank. Its a great car to drive, feels strong and sure footed, it handles well and although the diesel engine is a little noisey through gears 1-3, once into 4th or 5th, you hardly hear it. My only gripe is a slight whooshing noise when the brakes are applied, ( there is plenty of life in the pads ) so I am not sure what it is, otherwise, I am very happy with the Jetta and would recommend it to anyone.

john andrews, LANCASHIRE, August 10th 2008

SE TDI PD 4dr

I cannot fault this car. Had this car for about 6 months and done approx. 12500 miles so far. Opted for the SE over the S down to the extra touches you get such as chrome window surrounds, better seats and cruise control, which suited me for motorway driving. The 1.9TDI proves adequate for the current climate giving around 50-53 mpg overall, sometimes 60mpg on motorway runs and gives decent performance. Match this together with group 6 insurance and Β£115 road tax per year it proves to be a good all round economic package. The car looks good, especially in dark grey metallic, and drives good too. It also feels very solid and assured. Well worth looking at an alternative option if you are considering either a Golf or Passat

Lee Hounslow, Hampshire, August 10th 2008

SE TSI 4dr [122]

I ordered the Jetta as a Company car after previously driving a vectra and Bora before that. Wanted to return to VW as i enjoyed the Bora so much. Chose the TSi engine as it offered better performance that the standard tdi. Haven't seen any other TSi's on the road. I also went for the optional parking sensors (which are a god-send as the boot is longer than you think) and fog lights (for a better look up front). TSi engine isn't as fast as i thought it would be but fuel economy is good up to 50mpg if driven steadily. Build quaility is good and spec is excellent, although look out for water marks on the paint if bought brand new. Boot space is impressive

andrew Nash, Derbyshire, August 6th 2008

SE TDI PD 4dr

great car! medium saloon size but with the boot of a large exec saloon. i went with the smaller diesel engine to cut fuel costs. At times wish i'd gone for the more powerful version, but in the current financial climate I'm more than willing to forego a couple of overtaking manouvres! the car handles really well, especially at speed on challenging roads, and there is an excellent level of feedback to the driver - you always know how far you can push it. if it all goes ti its up the ESP should save you anyhow as its an excellent safety feature. To be honest, its probably the safest I have felt in a a car (both when I'm ragging it on my own but also when I'm playing daddy with the family on board) - you just get a sense that it is a substantial car which could take a wallop and see you out of it OK. (Even more so than many of the bigger cars on the market.) I've found the Jetta to have excellent build quality, and a good level of kit on the SE. I opted for the winter pack which is coming in handy, and the missus loves the heated seats! comfort levels are very good, and whilst the interior is very good quality the overall design of the dash area is not the most dynamic on the market. all-in-all excellent value for money - i'd recommend to anybody who drives a medium exec saloon and isn't scared of ducking the badge snobbery. my first VW and so far I'd def have another.

del carr, cambs, July 5th 2008

S TDI PD 4dr

This is my third review on this site for this particular car which I have now traded with 39k on the clock and aged 40 months. The car suffered clutch problems from new( VW told me the wrong saches clutch was fiited at build in Mexico and replaced) and in the end become serious while out of warranty. The clutch would judder very badly from cold and only improve as the engine warmed. Other than that I can't really complain about her. She was relatively reliable, economical and roomy. Steering had always been an issue with this particular car with about 5 degrees of slack in the steering wheel which was never rectified. I ahev traded for a Passat Bluemotion demonstator which I have owned for a couple of months. See my review on this car so far.

Steven Bedford, Norfolk, June 23rd 2008

S TDI PD 4dr

I bought this car 56 reg.14000 miles on the clock. Its DSG model. very impressed so far. Driving very comfortable. Lot of extras and feel safe. I get about 45 to 50 mpg. Large boot. noisy at start, but soon quiteness down.

Engin yilmaz, May 17th 2008

SE TDI PD 4dr

I have owned this Jetta since November 2007 and covered 10k miles in it, having driven a VW Bora for six years and 110k miles before. I am very pleased with my Jetta. Huge boot, excellent level of equipment, fabulous drive, high reliability. Bora was produced in Wolfsburg, Jetta is put together in Puebla, Mexico, yet there is no noticeable difference in quality, or finishing. VW did it again! You will be pleased with Jetta if you choose it.

Daniel Duda, Hertfordshire, May 15th 2008

S TDI PD 4dr

I have had this car for 2 months. It was bought secondhand at 15 months old and has covered 3500 miles without any problems so far. The 1.9 diesel engine is surprisingly quiet and has plenty of power for most road conditions. Not the fastest car on the market by any means but easy to drive quickly with brilliant roadholding. The boot is massive and the car itself has plenty of room inside and all the equipment I was looking for. So far it has averaged 55mpg and has been a relevation compared to my previous ancient Honda Accord. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for something different to the usual hatchbacks. The dealer service has not been put to the test as yet but the car still has the remainder of the manufacturers warranty and was collected having had its service completed. One of VW underrated cars and great value.

Tom Kerr, ayrshire, April 21st 2008

Sport TDI PD 4dr

i have owned my jetta since november and i am very happy with it.the performance is excelent.the ride is very smooth and sharp.i have owned a passat before and the seats were poor the new jetta is a real head turner when i sold my passat i got a tdci mondeo witch i had for a year. but it doesnt come close to a jetter my advice is to get one you will not be diserpointed

trevor shea, essex, April 12th 2008

S TDI PD 4dr

I bought a 1.9 TDI automatic after owning a VW Polo for 5 years. It was quite an upgrade and has lived upto my expectations. It's a superb car with massive potential. The interior and functions are quite similar to the Polo but it is just brilliant as a family car with huge cabin space and boot. It's very convenient for travelling as you can easily fit in a lot of luggage. The DSG gearbox is amazing too! I use the car locally a lot for my children. It is economical and gives a smooth ride. So far, so good!

humaira ghanchi, April 1st 2008

SE TDI PD 4dr

Bought 12 month old model just over a month ago and very pleased with it. Looks like a much more expensive car, and very smooth and comfortable on the road. Read reports that engine noise was bad from the 1.9 diesel, but apart from initial acceleration in 1st and 2nd, its reasonably hushed from within the cabin. Think this is a seriously under-rated car. Only criticism so far is the dealer. Bought the car 200 miles away from home, was promised that some paint damage would be sorted at a branch nearer home, but since collecting the car, sales manager wont take calls and general manager ignores letters. Their website states "Promises delivered", I think not.

N Andersson, March 17th 2008

S TDI PD 4dr

bought this car instead of a vw golf cost me Β£10 grand for a 15month old car on s trim the car has everything i needed and is of a very high spec for an entry model the golf s entry model dosnt come close to this car its smooth to drive and has good room in the cabin looked at ford and vauxhall but both dont even come close in refinement and quality the blue instrument lights at night are sheer class if you want a family saloon this one is for you great car

james law, March 11th 2008

S TDI PD 4dr

This is my third review after running this car for 20 months now, and hope it helps someone. i have to say it has been a great car so far and has proven to be 100% reliable and i have taken it for granted. it burns no oil, still drives great and feels as tight as a drum. just had it vw servived at Β£120 with free courtesy car, i have towed with it, and had a few nice drives down some twisties, i think it does everything the passat does but handles better,is more economical, and has a bigger boot!! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPOINTED!go on, treat yourself!!!

mark lines, February 25th 2008

S TDI PD 4dr

Overall I am happy with my 56 plate 1.9 TDI. Although I only have the base model, it has everything that I need - air con, full electrics (windows & mirrors), traction control and the same safety equipment as the more expensive trims. The only thing I prefer about the SE is that the alloys what come with the SE are far superior and suit the car much better. I travel about 30 miles everyday (about 10 on regular roads, and 20 on the motorway) and I average 48mpg, which is not bad but was expecting maybe a bit more. A full tank usually gets me about 525 miles. The only problem I have is with the constant rattling from the cabin (exactly like Christopher Fitzpatrick - maybe its just theones in Liverpool?) The dashboard, passenger door, boot, glovebox all rattle and can drive you insane. I have it booked into my local dealer this week to see what they can do about it. I didn't have any rattles whatsoever with my 04 Astra. Overall though I am happy with the car as mechanically it hasn't missed a beat. I like the looks, the space and the engine has enough grunt for me. I also like the fact that they are quite exclusive as you see well more Golfs and Passats on the road.

Paul Madden, February 24th 2008

Sport TDI PD 4dr

I bought the car in may 2007 and wish i'd never bothered. The constant rattling and vibrating out of it drives me insane. The dash board rattles, the seat belt adjusters and fasteners rattle and vibrate, both front seats aren't fixed to the floor and move when you accelerate. I took the car back to the dealership for it to be looked at and they said more or less the entire inside of the car needed replacing. I wasn't best pleased and had a meeting with the manager whose answer to my problems was "i didn't build the car" and "your a little chunky so you've probably broke the seat youself" The car has been in 4 times for repair now and each time i get it back it's worse than when it went in. The dealership called me last week and said it was ready for me to pick up following more repais but warned me it wasn't fixed but would i like to take it anyway. Whatever you do, don't buy a Volkswagon!

christopher fitzpatrick, merseyside, February 2nd 2008