What Car? says
For Well built, stylish and available with seven seats
Against Not the cheapest to run; hard to come by
Verdict Only its rarity stops the Santa Fe from being a great used SUV
Go for… 2.2 CRTD CDX
Avoid… 2.7 V6 CDX+
- 1. It's good to drive, with a smooth ride and accurate handling, yet it's also capable of mild off-road duties.
- 2. The option of two extra seats in the boot means that the Santa Fe can double as a decent people carrier. The extra seats fold down flat into the boot floor when not required
- 3. A 186bhp 2.7 V6 petrol model and a 148bhp 2.2 CRTD diesel were available from launch, but despite its power advantage, the petrol model isn’t much faster.
- 4. The diesel does an average of 38.7mpg, which is comparable with rivals, however, it produces between 191g/km and 193g/km of CO2
- 5. One of the biggest problems, though, is the air-con system. It can need re-gassing in less than two years
- 6. Its rarity means some dealers might try to overcharge – so haggle hard.
Reader test team says:
This car was hideous from the start. Not being…
This is our fourth Santa Fe,, had 2004, 2006,…