Toyota Land Cruiser 4x4 (03 - 09) Owner reviews

This is my second review after driving the beast for some 10,000 miles since my last review. The previous reviewer is right - whilst its very smooth on Dual Carriageways and Motorways - gliding over any bumps in the process - thats not the case on 30/40 mph roads - you do indeed feel every bump - and having driven a Lexus 450 hybrid it seems you get the same ride....Toyota just seem to give a 'harsh' ride. Having said that - i'm otherwise well pleased with the car....have no problem with the seating position or the steering. Clearly the previous review was a Prado owner with the spare wheel on the rear door, and probably a slightly different vehicle spec. for Australia/South Africa. As far as I am aware a rear door spare is not an option for UK vehicles... A vehicle with a go anywhere pedigree that has some compromises on road but not enough to push me to buying anything without such a reliable history......

richard wilson, herts, September 21st 2011

D-4D LC4 5dr Auto [173]

I've now owned my 2007 LC4 for just coming up to five years. No breakdowns. Dealer servicing has cost less than my wife's Honda Jazz, and also less than our MX-5. Great towcar - indeed, it's even better towing than it is solo. I'm running it on General Grabber AT2 tyres - great on muddy fields, and on ice and snow.

Timothy Marlow, Surrey, July 12th 2009

D-4D LC2 3dr

I own an early model Invincible with 204bhp. It's a really good car for me. It goes anywhere and is reliable, with fantastic load carry capacity. My wife and I drive it to Scotland every year (from near London). It's great on long runs with superb visibility and good sat.nav. The only issue is that you can't enter post codes in the sat.nav. It's the best car I've had and I would definitely buy another Toyota.

Graham Taylor, Herts, August 18th 2008

D-4D Invincible [173] 5dr

We wanted to add another car with a Porsche Cayenne - something that could get Chloe our Great Dane in the back. The Discovery got excluded because of failure on the test drive! Anyway, once the dealer told me the bhp had gone up to 204bhp he dropped an invincible at home and we bought it there and then - we have so much confidence in Toyota that we also asked for an Aygo despite no one in the family ever getting round to a test drive - last week we took delivery of our fifth Toyota! As far as I am concerned, I am dependent on my car for my work - if the car breaks down then I don't get paid! The Invincible has been perfect! And I hammer it! 24k miles in 18 months, I can send you a picture of it wading through water coming up over the bonnet! (Toyota World Birmingham have the picture) The limiter stops it at 112mph (on private roads) - but then I guess that something has to! Moans - not really - I have a little bit of corrosion on the wheels, and I don't think that the paint work comes anywhere close to the quality of the Porsche. But the Landcruiser is effortless to drive. I will no doubt buy the 4.5 V8 and never look back. If you have had trouble with a Landcruiser, then if you think about it - you must have been unlucky. If you have had trouble with a Discovery - what do you expect!. As they say - 'if you want to go to the bush take a Land Rover - but if you want to get back take a Landcruiser'

Tony J Walker, May 13th 2008

D-4D Invincible [173] 5dr

Previously I have owned 3 landcruiser colarados, the last one completing 150k miles before trading against the current LC4. The LC4 is very comfortable, and considering its size, drives well.Its diesel engine is very rattly, and it transpires that I have a faulty fuel injector, which Toyota have conveniently diagnosed at 61.5k miles, just after the warranty has expired.I have also suffered a couple of minor electronic problems, notably with the parking sensors. The position of the switch to isolate power to the rear sensors has to be seen to be believed.Suffice to say that this car is expensive to buy and run, and in my opinion it needs to be bullet proof - this one isn't, but it is quite good.For more serious off roaders, the lack of an intermediate diff lock is a bit of a pain, since the time when you might need this control (as fitted to the old land cruiser) is in a muddy field, towing trailers. Which is what I do with mine!In summary, I think Toyota could do better with the land cruiser, but I'd still have one of these, (or a shogun) before any of the so-called class leaders.

tony kirkby, berwickshire, April 12th 2008

D-4D LC4 5dr [6]

I bought this car four years ago. I expected to keep it for 2 to 3 years and then change for a "premium" off-roader. The longer I've had it the more I like it, and with friends who have Discoverys, X5s and XC90s who have had problems, my 'Cruiser just keeps on going...totally reliable. OK there's body roll in corners, and the rear sills high (for the dog to get in), but if thats all I can fault the car with after 4 years then thats not too bad. I added Sat Nav and rear parking sensors and chose the excellent auto box, which makes the drive effortless. Only changed the tyres once, and have no rattles or build quality issues whatsoever, and fuel consumption is mid 20's, but most of my driving is town / country. Serviced by local Dealer who are excellent (servicing costs reasonable for such a big car) total contrast to the local Renault dealership who my wife uses who are absolutely useless. Going to south of France in summer so will keep it till then, and then decide what to do...may well go for a newer LC5 Cruiser as a replacement. Bulletproof worry free motoring...well done Toyota.

David Griffiths, January 12th 2008

D-4D LC3 5dr [173]

New injectors were fitted after the car was in the garage for 1 month. Three weeks later it was worse than before. The car was booked in for two weeks later, but the morning the car was due in, the service manager told me the mechanic who needed to do it was on holiday for two weeks. I was told to go on driving it (despite them saying I shouldn't the first time, and despite them still having no idea what the problem was). I then took the car to another dealer. They have been unable to diagnose the problem but have sent the fuel pump away for testing. That was 10 days ago and there's still no news. This is a specialised five-door off-roader,with special tyres, kitted out with specialised dog cages and other equipment, bought brand new six months ago, costing £38,000 and it has not been right from brand new. I have been put in a small 4-door saloon with low spoilers. I am unable to do the work for which I bought the car. The dealer says Toyota is too busy to send a technical chap to help. The indicators to the left do not self-correct but I am told "they all do it". There is a knob on the dashboard which is not listed in the manual. There is a knob in the manual which is not on the dash board. I had to have three visits to the Dealer to work out how to operate the sat nav but they couldn't work it out(I operated a Tom Tom without ever having referred to the manual).

P Williams, Hants, January 11th 2008

D-4D Invincible [173] 5dr

The most reliable car i have ever driven. I am on 71k miles and the only repair is one wiper blade. I have replaced the tyres once. I had new brake pads at 60k - the first . Having had 4 new discos it is nice to have a heavy duty car that just does the job - this one really does.

phillip palmer, norfolk, January 11th 2008

D-4D LC2 5dr

I wrote a review on my 2003 LC4 back in July 2006 - and loved the car except for the sunroof playing up - and said it had to go.... Well I've still got it .... the same 2003 LC4 - just don't use the sun roof that much .... Just so reluctant to let it go and let someone else enjoy this car after I have carefully 'run it in'... and cared for it the last 38,000 miles. Only just had the tyres changed (rotated after 20,000) - so no way anyone is anyone gonna get their hands on my motor for some time I reckon. Even the dealer was amazed the pads were only two thirds worn - and I towed a caravan for 18 months with it! lovely car ... don't want to let it go ... wonder what the all brand new Land Cruiser will be like?? ... there must be one waiting in the wings ... surely??

richard wilson, herts, January 8th 2008

D-4D LC4 5dr [173]

Does what it's meant to do very well. Loads of space, drives well, very reliable and big on value for money all round. If you want a refined workhorse that you won't feel concerned to really use as intended but without the pretence of the "Premium" marques then it's a great vehicle. If you want to pay over the odds for a posing machine then waste your money on the BMW, Volvo or Mercedes!

Mark Calvert, Essex, December 31st 2007

D-4D LC3 5dr [173]

I have just taken delivery of a 2008 model Land Cruiser and am surprised at the improvements over the previous version. The engine changes increased power and reduced fuel consumption but also make this a much more refined vehicle. The new engine bulkhead also helps and the net result is an engine which is virtually inaudible - you would be very hard pushed indeed to know it was a 4-cylinder diesel. The suspension is very compliant and there is none of the suspension/road noise from which the old version suffered - just a completely smooth and silent ride (my car does not have TEMS). You would be hard pressed to detect the live rear axle. The remote control buttons on the steering wheel and the inclusion of bluetooth also raises the game for this car. The rear camera with active guidance for parking is going to be a real boon when space is tight. The quality of the interior is right up there with the X5's of this world. It may not have so many gadgets but what is has got is rock-solid. I love this car and the sense of well-being it bestows. It may not have the sharpest handling but that is a small price to pay for being so high up that you can look down on everyone else. My only complaint is that Toyota are underselling the real improvements they've made to this car. But for the dealer's persistence I might have ended up going for the X5 or ML and spending £20K more. Having owned 4 Toyotas I can take for granted absolute reliability as well as low servicing costs.

Peter Guymer, December 3rd 2007

D-4D LC5 5dr [173]

My father bought this car in summer 2003. I have been driving it for last two years, and this is my first car. We sold it two months ago, primarly because of high mileage - 230,000km or 144,000 miles. It's comfortable (good seats), has a lot of space (headroom and legroom for front and rear passengers, huge boot), fantastic satellite navigation, good economy (around 11.5-13 l/100km), good performace (163hp engine and four-speed automatic were getting along nicely, safe overtaking), quality interior (fine materials including plastics, no squeaks), great off-road, good road noise insulation, big mirrors, good looking). However, it has a big steering wheel, solid handling (good if you count the size of the car and off-road capabilities), but bad cornering. For four years and 230,000 kilometers, it hasn't even had one serious visit to Toyota's service. However, regular services are a little bit pricey, but when you count in the reliability - it is worth it. In conclusion, it's a great car for all purposes. My recommendation!

Aleksandar Kukic, November 8th 2007

D-4D LC5 5dr [173]

Updating reviews on 7/11/07 and 11/01/08: this is a brand new £38,000 Land Cruiser Invincible bought in July 07. It has an enormously loud rattling noise from the engine when cold (sounding like someone rattling a spoon inside a tin can and causing passengers to utter alarmed and unrepeatable expletives). The car was off the road for one month waiting for new injectors. Toyota said the reason for the delay was that the injectors have to come from Japan! The car was still the same when they were fitted. The car was then off the road for another five weeks waiting for a fuel pump. Toyota says delay is because the fuel pump has to come from Japan! My car has an upright sitting position, is automatic and has cruise control because I have problems with my back and right knee. It has a high ground clearance and special tyres for the terrain I have to cover in the course of my work. It has a custom made dog platform, devider and tailgate doors for the dogs I use in my work. It has a roof rack and a tow bar which I also need. In the time my car has been off the road I have been provided with a small four-door manual saloon car and now have back pains. I was told my car was ready yesterday. It is still making the same noise. Readers who think these cars are reliable should search "Landcruiser Invincible D4D injector problems" on the Hillux Pickup Owners Club and the Toyota Owners Club.

P Williams, Hants, November 7th 2007

D-4D Invincible 5dr Auto [173]

I can't really find fault with the car, it was the dealer i had trouble with i think there after sales service is disgraceful.

john campion, October 31st 2007

D-4D LC4 5dr [173]

Bought a 6 month old lc5 in sept 06 from main dealer close to m25, St Albans. previously owned a landcruiser amazon. great car but does roll when going round bends at any speed. loads of room and reliable but service costs not that cheap. just had 20k service done and found it over 100quid cheaper in wales, Aberdare, good service as well. bought car for its reliability, unfortunately although got car cheap, a few bits like no phone manual, small dent, car jack missing which despite phoning and faxing the main dealer on numerous occasions, they didnt reply to me. Didnt think this was supposed to happen with Toyota but it sure did. Overall, I am well pleased I bought the car but would say its not worth £40,000 new price, but there again what is?

john kemp, essex, October 26th 2007

D-4D LC5 5dr [173]

purchaced a brand new LC4 from local dealer £34.5K two dealers in Mid ulster fail to have equipment to balance wheels or the knowhow to fix steering shudder. The following has been my experience, 1. steering shudder after first service 2. returned to dealer brakes were over tightened 3. 4 new tyres 4. 4 new rims 5. skimmed disks 6. 2 new calipers 6. 4 new desiel injectors 7. 1 bonnet assist ram 8. dealer would not fit mudflaps after instruction as he maintained they had to be paid for before the service - dont forget my they had my vehicle in their workshop. 9. after injectors vehicle has lost power 10. dealer has refused to do any more. what a rubbish service from toyota and their over pirced jap scrap. i will be going german soon!!!!!

Richard O'Lone, September 19th 2007

D-4D LC4 5dr [6]

Bought an LC4 D4D auto last august 2006. It has now done 35k as I use it every day for work. Perfect, absoloutely perfect. Not a peep from the engine, nothing falls off, still original tyres, no rattles, but it has all the toy's!! Carries the 3 kids and wife easily with plenty of room. 30mpg standard, 32mpg on a good day. Service costs average but every 10k which is quite low these days. Western Toyota at Dunfermline have been excellent for after sales care Drives well on open road, keep cruise on to avoid speed cameras. I have driven the Q7 and the new X5 and they are better drivers cars, but at a 10-15k premium. Had a Disco, would never buy another one

alan santry, fife, August 15th 2007

D-4D LC4 5dr [6]

I have had a Land Cruiser 3 from new for two years now and am very pleased with it. It is used as a utility vehicle - it has a hard life but 45,000 miles later, both on- and off-road, there have been only a couple of very minor problems that the dealer sorted quickly. I had a go at the Toyota dealer because the young lads clearly did not know what a grease gun was, but otherwise it has been OK. Yes, it does lean bit on corners, but then what were you expecting? It is a tough ladder-chassis, no-nonsense 4x4 designed for use on unmade surfaces, not a poser car. I have changed the tyres because the OEM Dunlop AT20s were useless for my purposes. It now sits on BF Goodrich all-terrain tyres and is much the better for it. Alloy wheel corrosion? My wheels are almost constantly covered in mud and grot yet there is not a trace. This is because I have waxed them from new and do not use alloy wheel cleaner, which no matter what it says on the bottle, erodes the finish. Treat them like you treat the paintwork and cover any scratches or dings with clear-coat. If they do eventually go, get them fully refurbished and bright silver-painted (not clear-coat over machined alloy, which is plain silly for a 4x4) for about £200 and you are done. All in all, I'm very pleased.

Brian Herren, Kent, March 3rd 2007

D-4D LC3 5dr [6]

Like many people in this column, we were so impressed by the absolute reliablility of our last Land Cruiser Colorado that we decided to buy another. The only thing we ever had go wrong on the old one was the battery - this model comes with a backup, so there really is nothing to go wrong. I feel that the car has accurate steering and much stronger brakes than the last one, but it leans a little to much to be called entertaining. Also pleasing is the new 5-speed automatic gearbox, which pulls down motorway noise levels and raises economy, which is excellent. The diesel engine is strong, torquey, and yet in the cabin it's more serene than being in the old petrol V6. Best of all, the cabin has finally gained the plush materials and Lexus-like style that make it a proper alternative to the Germans. In conclusion, if you're going to buy a big car where so much can and often will go wrong, get a reliable one that will keep performing for years to come, as the Land Cruiser will, while it now has the exectutive credentials it deserves. Keep it up, Toyota!

Benjamin Fyson, Hertfordshire, February 25th 2007

D-4D LC5 5dr [6]

As with other reviewers, superb vehicle but marred by terrible dealer attitude and chronic wheel corrosion. Life with Toyota (we have three) has in recent times become a constant battle with the dealer - they seem to be determined to drive us to other marques despite the quality of the products. What happened to Toyota's reputation for customer care?

Jeremy Cummin, January 24th 2007