TDI CR BlueMotion Tech 140 SE 5dr

I am coming to like my Sharan more as time goes on. It's given no problems once the initial minor issues were resolved (properly under warranty) and I have got used to its bulk in car parks and tight junctions. Fuel economy tends to be 41-44 mpg in rush hour traffic but averaged 48 mpg cruising on A-roads fully laden on holiday. It wore out its front tyres after 18,000 miles - it's heavy and quite powerful and the tyres have to be quite soft to comply with noise regulations - and the replacements weren't cheap at Β£170 each, but that's the only bad news. The car is not sporty but handles safely and its performance is more than enough - I rarely need to rev it past 3,000 as the torque is so plentiful. It is a very comfy, solid and relaxing big family car, great for transporting people or just driving to work. For my needs I cannot think of a better car - except maybe the same thing with electric doors.

David James, Surrey, August 17th 2011

TDI CR BlueMotion Tech 170 SE 5dr

We have now covered 45,000 miles. The Sharan continues to impress on the road. Unfortunately, what could be a great car is badly let down by a combination of temperamental and unreliable sensors located in the most inaccessible of places and appalling/non-existent customer service from our local VW dealership which (3 years after its introduction) does not understand the product it is supposedly responsible for servicing and fixing.

David Turner, Surrey, January 26th 2011

SE 5dr

Had VWs over the years all very reliable so the obvious MPV was the Sharan. Thought auto would be low maintenance and easy Good looking, good position, comfy, slow but with car handling and loads of kit/clever ideas in the cabin Bought my 99 Sharan in 03 with 32k on the clock and now Aug 08 its passed 92k Everyday use and lugging the family around at home and abroad, practicality is perfect Sadley, the build quality and reliabilty have been shocking, by far the most unreliable car I have ever owned Aircon failure x 2 Wheel speed sensors x 2 Rear bulbs x 8 Anti roll bar links x 2 Glove box light stayed on Speaker Covers x 4 Gearbox selector inhibitor x 2 stranded both times Door light switches x 2 Rear brake calliper locked Coil pack failed unloading off ferry, not funny Oil dip stick fitting perished and snapped off Auto ECU failed Β£1900 Scissor jack snapped Aug 08 whilst changing tyre, very dangerous, VW there is a letter in the post Tyres seemed to last well which is good for a 1 ton vehicle Petrol consumption heartbreaking and never reaches the 25 mpg ave promised Orignal exhaust from new. VW can you get the bloke who makes exhausts to build the rest of your car. I should have sold the car years ago, but you just can't help love the damn thing as when it runs well its brilliant I,ll probably buy another one (I must be insane) but as I have practically paid for a rebuild I am running it to the ground to get my monies worth!

Patrick Margrave, Isle of Man, August 30th 2008

TDI SE 115 5dr

Our first MPV is a 2 yr old Sharan SE TDi130 with 13,000 mls, but was like brand new. It took time to find the right one. The Sport model rides too firmly, and its seats have hard sides and rougher fabric. We really like built-in child's seats and soft upholstery, so went for an SE. Extras we wanted include parking sensors and electric rear open-out windows (saves using the air con). Going to 2004 model gained us 10 air bags and a diagonal rear center seat belt. It drives well for commuting, except up motorway hills (I take the heavy rear seats out) and it averages 47 mpg. Now 2 yr later at 29,000, servicing+MOT+tyres averaged Β£300/yr. Both F&R wipers areas were fixed under warranty, the rear wash leaked into the inside, and the front mechanism was replaced without us realising it needed to be. Holiday luggage space is limited for a family of 6, but we think this is the best MPV for us. Wish it had a glass sunroof, a better radio and rear reading lights.

Roy Tam, Dorset, June 28th 2008

TDI Carat 130 5dr

A great family car. 100k miles, without a problem. With 4 children we need the flexibility of 7 seats, and we just take a seat out when we go on holiday to give more than enough luggage space. Uses no oil between services, diesel - 45mpg round town and at a steady 60mph will return 55mpg. Front tyres last 25k miles, rear 50k. Would recommend to anyone.

Paul Clarke, West Sussex, February 23rd 2008

TDi 110 SE 5dr

People sure do some moaning, second sharan (taxi). First one done 110,000 miles with not one single problem. Was good till it got written-off. New one on 25,000 miles and still original tyres etc. Build quality is good , handling is excellent, very responsive vehicle, it does just what you want it to do. Dont complain about new cam belts at 40,000, thats the way it is, if you service the car it gives no problems....Oil the spare wheel hanger, then it wont rust..50k from track rod ends.....try to stop hitting kerbs that usually solves that problem. And removing the seats takes approx 35seconds each...its not rocket science.

m jones, February 10th 2008

TDI Sport 140 5dr

This is a great car for lugging a large family and their luggage.

Mark Bettles, October 11th 2007

TDi 110 SE 5dr

Where do I start? I'm a lady driver, I average 7000 miles per year and bought the VW Sharan for reliability due to having five small children and what a mistake it was. I traded in my Volvo 940 seven-seater for this heap of junk and it's cost me over Β£5000 in repairs over the last two years and 10 months. When it runs well, it does a good job but I drive it everyday scared of what will happen next and how much it will cost next! You name it and I have had it done. It needed a new auto gearbox at 70,000 miles, the ECU was replaced, it's had loads of electrical problems and steering joints replaced. I had a major problem with engine noise which, after eight visits to three different garages, cost me Β£900 to fix (it's still quiet for now). The list is endless. I'm now trying to pick my next seven-seater MPV, which will hopefully not let me down. The day it goes I will have a party!

jackie williams, manchester, July 23rd 2007

TDI Carat 130 5dr

2004/04 reg I have sold this car and what a mistake that was. We drove to Spain (summer 2006) five-up in this car and had it all: sat/nav, playstation, two TV screens in headrests, privacy glass - every option and more! The economy was great and it only cost us Β£250 pounds in three weeks, during which we drove from Surrey through France, Andorra, Spain,and back in comfort with no problems. If I could buy that car back I would. In all I owned that car for 14 months and the only time it went back to VW was to have the servicing carried out. I'm not sure if I was lucky or not but what a fantastic, trouble-free family car.

george sharman, surrey, July 16th 2007

TDi 110 GL 5dr

I have owned this car for twelve months. when I purchased the mpv it had covered 100000 miles with one owner from new. I have done 110000 miles with no faults the economy is fantastic, driven at a steady pace around town i can get 45/47 mpg and on a run a staggering 55/62 mpg at a steady 60mph. the only fault I have had was a bird flew into the rad and caused a leak and the rad had to be replaced,vw quoted Β£700. so I replaced it myself for Β£90 all in. this mpv is a 96 gl and one of the most economical cars I have ever owned.

david humby, June 9th 2007

S 5dr

Wife has 2.0s returns between 24-30 mpg,drives like a car,as she pointed out when we looked at changing it it has seven individual seats all three levels of windows open good visabilty easy access to all seats Generally the car has been reliable although heavy on oil interior quality is shocking ,with cheap plastics that are hard to clean and break really easily.In my job I have driven most MPVs and I would say that the Sharan is easily the best.Would recommed to others.

Al Smith, Cheshire, May 19th 2007

TDi 110 CL 5dr

My vehicle is a 1998 Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDI (110) which has now done 146,000 miles. Overall, it has been very reliable. I have had to replace the usual items, such as a mass air flow sensor three times, as well as other regular maintenence items. The vehicle has led a hard life (I have a large family) and has never let me down, however the majority of Ford dealers are useless, so keep away from them. I have done all maintenence work myself (outside of warranty) except for a cambelt replacement. I can recommend the vehicle. I had been interested in the new (2006) Galaxy until I found out it does not have a spare wheel (only tyre injection kit) - what morons make these descisions? Anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows that when you have a blowout at motorway speeds by the time you are on the hard shoulder the tyre is trashed, so they have changed 15 minutes pain in the neck into a major problem! Get the outgoing model if there are any still in stock, or buy a Seat Alhambra.

cliff thompson, kent, April 16th 2007

TDI Carat 130 5dr

Reg'd 6/04 Last review Jan07. 2 more years of great service in local trips and trips to French house - always over 40mpg. Only problem has been rear underfloor heater, replaced under extended warranty. Reading reader reviews for other MPVs, what can I get that will be better??

Richard Beard, January 23rd 2007

TDI S 115 5dr

I have now had this car for over 5 years and completed 64000 of its 77000 miles. It has carried huge loads of people and gear well and pulled a caravan round France every year. It's good to drive, with tidy handling given its size and very easy to cover large distances without stress. Performance is OK. Fuel consumption is excellent at 40-45mpg and sometimes over 35mpg towing a caravan. The width, height, weight and engine torque make it a very good towcar. Mechanically its stongly made but much of the interior is very brittle. Ventilation and aircon is poor, and the air conditioning system has failed once. There have ben several electical faults including one breakdown, wipers have failed, the air intake ECU also failed causing a big loss in performance, this however was not identified by three Volkswagen dealers, only found by colleague who is a Volkswagen technical trainer! It rattles and squeaks continuously (cardboard helps)! and bits fall off. However it still feels solid to drive and performs better than ever. Its been a good buy.

Stephen Miller, Buckinghamshire, January 10th 2007

GL 5dr

In 1998 I convinced my partner that a Sharan would be ideal for our needs (we were bringing up three young sons at the time). I extolled the virtues of reliability, good build reputation and the idea of 'value-for-money' that came with the VW badge. Against her better judgement she agreed and we purchased a 2.0 GL automatic for Β£11,000. It transpired that all we bought was a whole bag of 'wrong'!. I have had the same electrical component replaced at least five times (Β£160 a go). This component fails without warning (and has done so on both short and long journeys) completely immobilising the car until it is replaced. Β£560 spent on a new console and loom, brought about by an electrical fault which compromised all electrical reliability including starting and running. Seasonally, I have had to tolerate a wet front passenger footwell caused by poor drainage from the engine compartment. Numerous other niggles have left me feeling that my VW may well have been the exception to the reliability rule....or maybe not!

Lew Cope, East Sussex, January 6th 2007

TDi CL 5dr

ihad this car since new. driving the sharan past 3 1/2 years now ,its best in it class to drive,except for few mechanically disaster,on 20000 miles smoke startered to come out from under the car taken to vw garage to replaced aux heather,conn link and exhaust (under warranty cost of 400 pounds).after 26000 miles anti roll bar links replaced.new sump after 32000 miles oil startered to leak from the sump. 42000 again aux heather,conn link and exhaust replaced.luckly all the parts were under warranty,and again 53000 miles.now after 60000 miles brake calipare sized its cost me 130 pounds to replaced.the engine oil is so expensive its cost about 62 pounds for five liters from vw dealers you could buy same oil from skoda dealers much cheaper 50 pounds for five liters.other wise it is runing fine just now .70000 miles on the clock now.

fazal haq, September 13th 2006

S 5dr

Although the drive and comfort of this car is very good, thats where it ends.. Mechanically this car is a disaster.! My car is 6 years old of which I have owned for the last 3 years and thank god for extended warranty.. Currently mileage running at 57000 miles, but between 51000 & 55000 miles it spent more time in the garage (time period 14 months)needing:- New head gasket. rear heater pump. anti roll bar linkage. steering arm. front shock absorber mounts. rear shock absorber mounts. replacement electric window mech. replacement idle speed valve. reprogamme/update management system. 3 x brake bulbs. 1 sump bung. 2 track rod ends. cambelt change. Front and back brake discs are very badly scored/warn still to be replaced, but unusally the pads are hardly worn at all. And finally the best till last a new gearbox. Not counting a new battery and 2 sets of front tyres. All I can say is MY FRIDAY NIGHT CAR I think beats them all.. Bit of advice make sure you have good breakdown cover & a good warranty cover.

kevin langford, north yorkshire, August 30th 2006

TDI SL 115 5dr

We just had a real stroke of luck when this car was burnt out while in for repair at a body shop after we split the "plastic" front in a bump!! Whilst great to sit in and drive on an open road, very comfortable and economical on fuel the car was a nightmare to keep running and not built to "family" spec. Problems include - 30,000 timing belt interval at a cost of Β£300+, air con not working, heating not working, steering joints replaced at 50,000 miles, plastic body trims pinging off, seat adjusters snapped off and unusable, front tyres that last 17,000 miles if you are lucky, electric windows falling off internal mechanism, spare wheel retainer rusting up making wheel removal impossible etc etc. Why VW put their badge on this mass produced heap of cheaply finished, poorly built, over priced junk is beyond me. Do not buy this car unless you have very deep pockets and prefer Woolworths finish to Harrods

Godfrey Fry, July 9th 2006

TDi 110 Carat 5dr

I had a Sharan MPV for a week as a rental for a family holiday and was completely disappointed. The exterior is big and ugly. The interior's build quality seemed OK, as everything was reasonably solid, but it was basically just miles of ugly plastic. It is also pretty unpractical for a holiday if their are seven of you - fortunately, we only had five so we could remove the two rear seats and obtain some boot space. Taking the seats out was a little bit 'mission impossible'. The rental company had not left the instruction manual and trying to figure out how to remove the seats was quite a task. VW has you pulling and pushing things all over the place, and it appears you need to fold the middle three seats into an upright position before you can remove the rear two, which seemed crazy. After some 30 minutes or so we had the back two seats released, but removing them was a task in itself. The weight of each seat is massive and, as the whole point of them is that you can remove them, you would have thought that VW would have found a lighter material. Driving this beast was also not a pleasant experience. It is a big car and it feels like it on the road. The gearing of the six-speed gearbox was crazy, and unless you revved it like crazy, it would simply stall. I have driven other diesel cars and they will pull off with ease, even in third or fourth gear, but this thing had be in first from a standing start or you go nowhere. VW needs to do better.

Andrew Dixon, July 3rd 2006

TDI SE 115 5dr

An update on the Irish Sharan I thought might be useful for anyone with an auto gearbox. I gave up on VW and on a recommendation I went to an independant automatic transmission specialist. As soon as I explained the problem, they told me straight away I had a 01 car with that problem! Apparently Auto Transmissions had never seen a box last 100K! These guys rebuild alot of taxi gearboxes in VW's, Mercedes, Volvo's, BMW's the lot! For 2,200 Euro's they rebuilt the auto box up to the 2005 spec. (funny VW never mentioned any changes to me!!) What a difference, amazing I cannot remember what the car was like for the first 10,000 but its certainly going now for the second time round whatever the modifications that were made in 05! Roll on the second 100K. Pity VW cannot modify their attitude!

Stephen Blythman, June 16th 2006