I have owned my new V40 D2 R-Design since April and I have to say I haven't experienced any of the problems the reviewer has here. I think how you drive the car makes a big difference to fuel economy. My favourite thing about my car is that I don;t think I've ever seen more than two other V40 on any journey I've ever been on! (Yet interestingly in the Netherlands it is the best selling car), I think a b ig part of the reason is badge snobbery (wanting to be one of the BMW, Merc and Audi "club")Also get free Road Tax, so I have no regrets about buying my Volvo.

Tom Smith, June 12th 2014

R DESIGN 5dr

I have Had this volvo for 2months now and it has been a fantastic car to drive and own. I have had Audi A3 and A4's and c/class merc's VW golf's in the past but this is by far the best car i have ever owned. I got the volvo 1.6 D2 c/country lux with the auto gearbox. The controls for the computer radio and car take about a week to learn. The drive is very smooth and the auto box feels just right. I get about 50-55mpg with normal driving but when i take it really easy i have had 72.4mpg but that was driving like a nun. The only thing i can think off is that the boot is on the small size. I would give this car 5Stars all day long

karl elvidge, Essex, December 30th 2013

Cross Country Lux 5dr

I have just had a new 63 plate volvo R Design in black sapphire and it is a great looking car. I test drove the new Golf and the Audi sportback , as for value the standard equipment beat the latter cars hands down. I have the D3 150bhp which has awesome power and has a nice whirl of the engine when changing up the gears,the front seats are very comfortable and hug you when in the driving seat. The quality of the cabin is very good however the controls for the radio/tel/media are small and quite distracting when driving , in comparison to the New golf which had an excellent layout. The fuel economy is not meeting the official figures stated by volvo of 65mpg and I am only averaging 48mpg but taken into account I have only covered 900 miles so i am hoping for better figures when the car has done 3000 miles and run in. The front grille,chrome mirrors and twin exhaust is standard on the R design model and really make this car a desirable car for young drivers like myself and stands out from the boring look of the New Golf and Audi Sportback, however this is personal perference and as I have owned both the Golf and Audi I wanted a complete change, and so far this car has not disappointed in the feel good factor and certainly ticks all the boxes, Lets just hope the fuel consumption will improve!

Jane Lloyd, September 17th 2013

R DESIGN 5dr

I have to agree with david graves and wonder sometimes about how the car mags come to their results regarding their reviews. I too went round all the usual suspects when going for a new car (audi, bmw, golf,seat etc)and as good as they are they didn't have or look something different, then my wife snd i went to the volvo garage. To say that it is the most stylish car in its class is an understatement. When i went out for a test drive in the d2 (which was specced with 17" alloys) i was blown away, it drove and handled brilliantly, totally loved the interior, seats are probably the best on the market. After returning we decided on the D2 SE specced with metallic gery, 17" segomo wheels glass roof and of course the digital speedo (love it). I have now done 11,000 miles in it and can honestly say i made the right decision buying this car. I do about 70%/30% town and country and i am still averaging just over 60mpg, which is crazy for a car this weight and size. I only have one niggle and that is there is buzzing inside and sometimes it can be very annoying (not heard during warm weather) and they have had 2 attempts but so far no result. Once you factor in the offer that i was given when i purchased the car, 3 years interest free payments, 3 years free servicing, and the icing on the cake is i just renewed my insurance and due to the car having city safety fitted it has brought my payment down to £158 a year!!!!!!! it's really a no brainer.

freddy hall, July 26th 2013

SE 5dr

I am now a year into ownership and the car has now loosened off the performance has improved though some low rev flatness that is found in all diesels due to emissions and trying to keep them off boost during the mpg tests, which you learn to counter by giving a few more revs on pulling away if required. I came from a Mazda 6 diesel and an Audi A3 before that and both of those were 2.0 and there are very few situations where the car is left wanting for power and it is much smoother and quieter than both. The ride quality and road noise issues that the journalists at what car mention have never given me any trouble only high frequency corrugations upset things on the motorway when you encounter them and the handling is very sharp. The interior has plenty of room seats are the best I have had in any car and the standard sound system is great not too much subwoofer base, and I have no problems with the buttons on the dash though that may be due to me not being a fan of touch screens, blue tooth works well and gives full phone book and call list which is proving really helpful, I have to make calls to numbers not in my phone from the car and use the keyboard to do this as its easier (stationery).On a recent trip I got 70 mpg

david bisset, July 25th 2013

SE Lux 5dr

Life as a motoring journalist perhaps get one a little too up and close to too many vehicles to see the wood from the trees. I'm afraid that is the only way I can interprete the What car review. I'm not saying the review is wrong and I'm not saying personal taste doesn't come into play, and there are still some who associate the volvo with the old man label. What I will say is simply this, if you are in the market for a medium sized hatch test drive the Golf the Civic the focus the Astra but make sure you test drive the V40. by the time you "spec" the others up to what is standard on the V40 it starts to look value for money, style wise it looks good and is not one "of the sheep", safety is class leading and economy particularly the D2 means even allowing for servicing it competes well on running costs. If you are testdriving the others take the time to test drive the V40 and you may be in for a very VERY pleasant surprise, a D3 with sportpack is class leading drive (I know I spent two months doing test drives 'til I was blue in the face), but opted for a D2 cross country. Do yourself a favour try all the competition but just try it too before buying the Golf or Focus that everyone else is buying, and only then make your mind up, after testing the opposition until I was simply stir crazy I realised the Volvo was in the same price bracket as spec'd up competitors, I'd driven 400yds and let my wife take over, it really was a no brainer...that is why I don't undesta

david graves, May 19th 2013

ES 5dr

I bought my V40 purely because I needed a practical small(ish) estate and in Dark Grey with roof spoiler and roof rails it looked quite good. I bought it second hand with 17k from a main dealer, so the initial problems i suffered were all sorted under warranty which was a good job because the Main Dealer certainly knows how to charge!! In the end I started taking it to a non Volvo dealer and saved a LOT of money. Basically its a fine car, the 115 diesel is quite good to drive and i average around 40/45 mpg its got a decent amount of power and cruises well at speeds well in excess of the legal limit .. from what i have been told avoid the 102bhp engine though. Its now done 80k after 3 years and its time for it to go and I am just a little sad to see it moving on, its been reliable, economical, practical and its easy to drive... If you are looking for this type then I would happily recommend it but watch out for the main dealer bills and any big repairs will cost you... Last service it needed brakes all round and a new cam belt that little lot cost a £1000!

Rob Sheard, Cornwall, March 2nd 2008

D Sport Lux 5dr [115bhp]

I have had two V40s now and i really enjoyed them both. So much so that i am going to upgrade mine to the latest I can possibly get. I really don't like the V50, its basically a mondeo, and build quality is poor from what I have seen, and looks cheap. I have done over 170k in my latest V40 on a P plate. Apart from regular servicing at an independant volvo specialist (way cheaper than the main dealer), the running costs have been what I expect, a tyre change every 20k or so. Only main thing I had to replace was my exhaust and catalyst which did cost quite a large sum however. So I hope that my next one will be just as good as this one. looking forward to another 150K plus of happy motoring

Dave Dickinson, hampshire, January 8th 2008

Classic SE 5dr

I bought this 1999 V-reg car from a main dealership despite preferring the V70 alternative... but I needed the car there and then after my Saab auto 'box packed up, and they didn't have a V70 available in my price range. However, I really enjoyed the car from the start and have had no problems whatsoever. I bought it with 32,000 on the clock and it has now done 106,000. It goes through rear stop and tail lights quickly, and I seem to be forever needing to change one of them - but it's not the same problem with the front bulbs or indicator bulbs which I've never had to change. The car is positive to drive, handles well, brakes well, cruises comfortably, has a good driving position, is reliable and economical returning an average 500 miles to a tank on a general mix of town and motorway driving, with 600 miles managed before if you drive with only economy in mind. Its worst traits are probably a noisier cabin than should be expected, and rear suspension that really should be upgraded so as not to sit low with what I believe are only moderate loads. It has never broken down and I've only ever had services from local independent garages - I have never felt the extra money demanded by main dealers for servicing is worth it, because when you come to sell the car you will never recoup all that extra cash anyway. In summary - it's a fantastic economic and reliable all-rounder in my opinion, but I still wish I'd have waited for a leathered up automatic diesel V70, d

David Levene, December 8th 2007

D XS 5dr

My first Volvo. It eats headlight bulbs, and it uses wiper fuses quicker than it uses diesel. Fuel economy is bad, but the ride is comfortable, and as it's a Volvo it's safe. Buyer Beware, I'd not recommend this vehicle.

Neil Mason, West Midlands, November 26th 2007

D SE 5dr [102bhp]

Serious problems have arisen in our 2002 (52) car with less than 600000 miles on the clock, which it seems are due to what we have now heard is an inherent problem in the Mitsubishi engine. It needs de-coking, which you don't expect to happen with modern cars. It's going to cost £3000 to put right and no guarantee that it won't need doing again before the next 60000 miles are up. Volvo is a strong brand that we associated with reliability but we certainly won't be buying another Volvo.

Sally Nixon, Hampshire, October 11th 2007

i SE 5dr

I bought this ex-demonstrator in 2004 after owning a VW Passat 1.8T. The Volvo is less exciting to drive but is more economical. The Classic Sport came with full leather interior (beige) and black metallic exterior with spoiler. The diesel engine isn't the most refined, nor is it as economical as many modern diesels, but CO2 emissions are quite low. The car is generally quiet, goes where I aim it, feels very safe and well built. The Volvo is a fine car. I've covered 70,000 miles having owned it for three years. I've looked at the V50, VW Golf, Audi A3 etc. but think I'll keep my Volvo a while longer. New cars I've looked at and tested just don't seem worth the additional cost.

John Kilner, October 9th 2007

D Classic Sport 5dr

you may be confused by the ratings but while the ride isn't as exciting as my subaru on the road, and at 33mpg aint the best (ownership), it may still have a cassette deck in the cabin, but my v40 has done 160K with the same exhaust! She is brilliant. Bought her at 2yrs old in '99 and is content doing a small trip round our town as running up and down to Reading fully loaded lugging 3 kids, xmas pressies and suitcases. Never a major problem with anything, only usual wipers, breaks etc over the happy yrs. I hope all v40's are like her!

Paul Williams, July 4th 2007

SE 5dr [122bhp]

When I was looking for a car 2 years ago I thought I knew what I wanted and that was a Jaguar X type. I had a list of requirements (Leather interior, automatic, all the toys and not to old). needless to say I struggled to achieve all that within my budget. I then drove into my local Volvo dealer and they showed me the V40, it had everything I wanted and more, including SatNav and Cruise control but strangly no front cup holder! The price was right, the age was right and I didn't have to compromise. I have had 2 years trouble free motoring dispite the odd dashboard light having a mind of it's own. The servicing costs are a bit high (£600 for my last one) but staff are keen and I was treated well. I have no plans to change my V40 as I've just bought my wife a Mercedes a class but when the time comes the first port of call will be the Volvo dealer. one final word - safety.

Bryan Jackson, Berkshire, February 20th 2007

T SE 5dr

Owned a 2000 model from new and I have to say this has been the most unreliable car I have ever owned. The turbo broke after 25,000 miles, it has had several shock absorbers and various minor electrical glitches including engine management problems. The biggest 2 problems were the head gasket failing twice at 60,000 and 64,000 and the auto box blew at 74,000. The interior did not wear the miles well and the paint chipped excessivly. Have to say this has put me off buying Volvo ever again.

Mark Lee, Co. Durham, January 24th 2007

T4 SE 5dr

This car has to be top rated for one very simple reason - safety. We bought a 2.0T SE from Volvo in June 2006 and had covered 60,000 relatively trouble-free miles before another driver T-boned it while my wife and two-year-old son were in it. The police commented that for the scale the impact, the cabin intrusion was remarkably light, resulting in minor injuries only. All the safety kit worked as it should have done. Well done, Volvo.

Martin Tilley, December 24th 2006

T SE 5dr

When I went shopping for a car I had no idea what I wanted but had eliminated the Jeep Cherokee and Golf TDi from the list. The next dealer I approached was Volvo, said I was looking for something sporty but practical and fell in love immediately with their ex-demonstrator. Two and a half years later I still think it's a stunning looking car with the winter pack, roof rails, spoiler and black sapphire paintwork. Inside the car is well beautifully finished with cloth and leather upholstery and piano black trim. Well laid out, roomy, comfortable and versatile. Mechanically I've had 25000 miles of trouble free and econical motoring. Performance wise it does everything that I want- bearing in mind that I treasure my points free licence. The time has come, however, to forget about practical and go for sporty so I'm looking to replace my Volvo. I've test driven an RX-8, BMW 320 Ci, Mercedes C-class coupe and looked at a TT, Nissan 350. So far nothing has impressed and delighted me in the way my Volvo does and the dealers have been downright insulting with their part exchange offers. I may yet end up running the V40 for another few months - though that would be no great hardship!

Teresa Leadbetter, August 25th 2006

i Sport Lux 5dr [122bhp]

The car is the V40 with a 1.8i engine (1843cc). I have no problems with the vehical - it does what I would expect it and many other cars to do. It gets from A-B without any fuss, safely and economically. It is reliable and has all the safty features Volvo design in. This car has a winter pack, sun roof, metalic paint and came with cruise and climate controls as standard. It does between 37mpg and 40mpg, depending on driving conditions but averages 38.5mpg. Speed is not important - it does the legal limit effortlessly and quietly. If acceleration is required then it will go (be it in lower gear) but you should not be driving it like a sports car anyway! Would I have another? YES - but the V50 has now taken its place.

D Rowe, Cheshire, February 21st 2005

i SE 5dr

Have owned this car (company) for just over a year now, and really can't understand why it only ever receives average reviews. I was therefore initially sceptical of this car, only 25, didn't want an "old mans car". However after testing it, with the right colour and trim that this model came with, soon forgot those initial doubts. I agree that when driving at speed down B roads the car is not the best, but with the sports suspension and wheels, together with very good brakes, it is quite fun for an estate car. Also, contrary to journalist reports the 115bhp engine is quite refined, especially on the motorway and is no slouch. The interior is top notch, save for the dash which is starting to creak a little - not helped by the state of the roads in Devon, fantastic leather seats etc etc. Faultless reliability and a great dealer. I looked at the Alfa 156, Audi A3, Volkswagon GTTDI, Honda accord and for the price nothing came close. Overall I would have no hesitation recomending this car to anybody in the market for a premium(ish) estate car.

chris law, December 31st 2004

D Sport Lux 5dr [115bhp]

During the time I have driven this car it has always proved to be reliable, comfortable and economical. In my year of ownership the car has cost me nothing apart from normal running costs.

william ross, December 23rd 2004