X

d M Sport 2dr Auto

I took delivery of my 640d M Sport in early June and have driven almost 14,000 miles since then. The drive experience is superb, the cockpit is refined leaving one feeling relaxed and fresh after a 100 mile commute in all weather conditions. The Sports seats are extremely comfortable, easy to adjust and for me at 1.90m tall quick to set up. The only niggle I have in this area is that my normal driving position is quite low down and in the tight confines of a car park the long bonnet makes it hard to sense where the curb is. I should have opted for the front cameras. The radar controlled cruise control is brilliant particularly as I also have the head up display which keeps my eyes focused ahead rather than on the cars instruments. For a car of this size and performance to be able to average 40 mpg without even trying is a god send. Luggage space is excellent, ample for a long holiday or a trip with all my sports gear. The overall kit list is impressive but be warned it is so comprehensive that it takes a while to work out what everything does and when to use it. The idrive system is so easy to use and the Google Maps interface to BMW connect is really superb for setting up the Sat Nav. A couple of clicks when you get in the car and you are off. The USB interface with your iPhone is impressive as well only slightly marred by Apples health and safety inhibition of the full office functionality.

David Mc Gregor, Bucks, November 18th 2014

d M Sport 2dr Auto

Totally agree with the other reviewer on here. I have had this car since early 2012. Its more like a sporty grand tourer than a sports car, and the only true 4 seater. I had an XKR before this and the BMW eclipses it in almost every way. The 911 (997) handled better but interior was less opulent and the rear seats were too small. I drive approx 15000 miles a year and the BMW can handle any situation (commuting, touring, fast driving) except maybe a track day, although 0-62 in 5.5 is more than anyone can use on a road. It does 600 miles on a tank and the engine is totally silent unless you thrash it, then it has a nice grunt (although not as nice as the V8 jag). Looks nice unlike the previous model IMO...can't see me changing it for a while although if the next XK looks like the new F type and has proper rear seats could be persuaded.

Adrian Smith, February 17th 2014

d M Sport 2dr Auto

i have only just taken delivery od the 640dGT (four door) and having driven different audi's for the last 12 years i have been very impressed with the quality of build and finish. the technology and systems does take some time to get your head round as it is very comprehensive. the car is an effortless tourer and a pleasure to drive. Pricey but good discounts available currently (circa 14k)

david harris, September 17th 2013

d M Sport 2dr Auto

just taken delivery of a new 640d M sport only covered 280 miles so far but what a fantastic car!the cabin feels luxurious and the layout superb, being of average hight and build I cannot criticise anything with regards to the driving position with the seats which are very comfortable.the engine and road noise is muted even though I opted for the 20inch alloys. The USB socket in the centre console is a god send and displays all my information and music from my I phone the whole set up procedure and pairing was effortless. If the car preforms over the coming years as it has over the last week I will be a very,very happy owner.

David Thomson, South Yorkshire, May 1st 2012

d SE 2dr Auto

The new 6 series is nearly brilliant, but taller drivers will find that in SE trim it's let down by its seats and seating position. I'm 6'4" and the standard seats are too short to offer adequate thigh support, and there are serious compromises in position if you're tall. The problem is that the seat appears to be adjustable on a diagonal. If you move it back it goes down. If you raise it up it comes forward. It's impossible to have it far enough back for adequate leg room without seriously compromising visibilty. It took nearly a month of experimenting to find a partly acceptable compromise, but even then (and even with the optional lumbar adjustment) there's more than a hint of back ache about the whole thing. And, on top of that, the seat belt is attached to the seat rather than the door pillar, and not height adjustable so if you're tall you're done for again. It's very tight across your shoulder and rubs horribly as you drive. A padded jacket helps, but that's not much use in warmer weather. Sports seats in the M Sport version, or the optional comfort seats may improve things slightly but they're both considerably expensive, and really the standard seats should be far, far better given the price of the car. Even with those, though, the seatbelt may still be a problem. It's a real shame because in all other respects it's quite magnificent, and looks sensational in mineral white metallic. Alas I doubt I'd have another.

David Bradwell, Hertfordshire, April 12th 2012

i SE 2dr Auto

I do not understand the negativity around this car, it is superb. I owned the previous model which I have to say I loved, but thi sis much better. I test drove the Jag XK and it felt dated and the seat were not that comfortable. It also looks a bit old old now, although I loved it when it first came out. I also tested the Merc SL but this was on a loser from the moment I walked into the dealership, what a bunch of amateurs with a totally condescending attitude. The car was nice but again a bit dated. The Maseriti felt great but cheap inside, and believe it or not broken down on the the test drive. My wife wanted to try the Porche 911 which was wonderful but I am not sure I could live with it as my main car, that said would definitely like one if I didn't do so many miles. Overall, the 6 is great although I do have the adaptive drive. It's comfy, fast and really well built A my wife says, I always smile when I get in it Nuff said

Mike Whittaker, March 30th 2012

2dr SMG

I've had two of the 6 Serier Convertibles in the last 3 years. I started off with a 05 645ci which was, in my mind, underpowered. The iDrive on that car failed intermittently and it took BMW 6 months to fix it but that was down to one specific dealer who I don't use now. Following the 645 I bought an M6 from late 2008. Despite what the review says THSI IS THE ONE TO BUY. It's a truly amazing car but you need to consider a couple of things. In town it is rubbish. Low speed round town it's noisy, bumpy, the transmission is jerky and it's not a great place to be so, if you do all your driving below 40 mph don't get one - you'll hate it and you'll have to fill it up with petrol every 10 minutes. If, however, you do a lot of long distance driving, especially in the Alps or on the Autobahn as I do then this is an amazing car. Turn the power up by pressing the M button (before it was 400 bhp now the button has been pushed it's set to 508bhp) and just let rip. On the autobahn it's extremely fast, smooth and quite - you get out fresh at the other end. On twisting alpine passes is just manic. Costs are relatively high. I usually return somewhere from 12-18 mpg and main dealer M service will set you back a fair bit. Still the best car I've ever had ... and if you take the limiter off it should be good for 206mph.

Andrew Simpson, Surrey, May 19th 2011

d Edition Sport 2dr Auto

The car i own is very easy on the road and it has a radio, electric windows.

ethan gladwin, uk, October 23rd 2008

d Sport 2dr Auto

Had the 635D sport for a week now new from the dealer, was going for the 650i but there is no getting away from the best diesel engine ever made. With the new sport setting in manual mode the torque of the 35d comes into play leaving all but the M6 behind 40-80mph and M6 gets a run for its money. (the engine is the only diesel that even Clarkson likes) The new exhaust set up gives a definite bark when the throttle is worked hard and a noise to shame most petrol engines. Went for the full length glass sunroof kids are very appreciative as with all 2+2 the rear seats is a dreary place, the extra light makes a big difference. Running Costs, what running costs 40mpg combined (with a very light foot lol) 35 more likely and Β£170 a year tax As a final note I have had both the 997 carrera 2s great Car - keeps its money(yawn). Only so many funny hand signals even the thickest skinned of us can handle. Audi R8 great but a 2 seater so not comparable here (plus the new oil burner audi is better). But I guess most wouldn't take advice on a purchase of this size based upon the view of a guy call Maurice who's M8 has one (hope the XR3 is going well for you)lol

Damon Williams, March 25th 2008

i Sport 2dr

Just picked up a 4 month old 630i sport convertible from the dealership at Lincoln at a fanatastic saving over list, 18k saved. My car is an automatic with satnav, bluetooth, logic 7 and is black with black leather. Its a lot quieter than my old 330 sport convertible and smoother to drive. It seems to be quicker and just as economical. I feel like a millionaire every time i drive this car and welcome long journeys. Not sure about running costs yet, but MPG appears to be around 22mpg in town, hoping to get more on the motorways. Its a head turner. Don't buy one if you don't want to get looked at. Love it Love it Love it (as Mike Says)

tony sheppard, November 22nd 2007

2dr SMG

I bought a second hand 55 Plate M6, after having an M3 I thought it would be similar, I was wrong this car is a supercar! Dont expect higher than 13 MPG as you will not drive it sensibly as the M button calls out to be pushed on every drive. I work within a mile of my home and some nights I take the long way home of almost 10 miles. If you want fun this is the car and as a second hand buy it makes sense, as I bought mine for 48K at just over a year old, put in persepective my vehicle has every option and was new 93K Glad I did not take the hit. Not as many options to tick as the M5 and not as practical even though a family of four could just get away with it as a second car as we do. But you will be noticed and you will be hard pressed to find anything on the road to keep up with you. Happy Motoring

Troy Baker, Denbighshire, October 29th 2007

i 2dr

I have just bought a used 630 Convertible. It is two years old with 7k miles on the clock. It looks and feels like new but someone else has taken the hit on the depreciation. I have been a BMW owner since 91 - sporty 3s and 5s and sensible 5s - and love them. But this is by far the best car I have owned. Quality is exceptional and it's just a dream to drive. My wife says I have not stopped grinning since I got it. Its a real head-turner too! I'm getting 31mpg - not that this is of any interest to me. With the roof down its great but on a motorway you do feel it. Space in the front is great but the kids don't like being in the back unless the roof is down. Voice control works well but can be a source of amusement for the kids. Love it, love it, love it!

Mike Whittaker, July 6th 2007

Ci 2dr

I've had my 'Marmite' car for a year & love it. It's Marmite because you either love it or hate it. It's in Mineral Silver with Black Leather & very high spec. The wheels are 20" AC Schnitzers on very low profile tyres & it rides well. I have not had one bad comment about the car. People come to me at filling stations to compliment me on the car. Driving at a steady 70 with no hard acceleration 33mpg is achievable but 25 mpg is the norm. I went to test an XK 4.2 but the battery was flat & the dealer said it was Sunday so no mechanics in so that was that! They didn't call me back either. BMW's 'Service Inclusive' is worth having especially if you by used like me. The car has 2 usuable rear seats (unlike the Jag) & boy does it go. Fantastic!

philip Taylor, Cheshire, April 5th 2007

i 2dr

I have owned ny 630 Convertible for 15 months and enjoy every journey. The car is comfortable and cruises for hours. In sports mode its a lively and fun experience. The car feels very secure on the road and around the winding lanes of Cornwall is sure footed. Despite the contoversial body shape the car certainly turns heads, with or wothout the roof down. I have only done 6,000 miles and have not even had a service as yet. Average about 30 mpg which is excellent for sucha car. Very quiet even with the roof down. Depreciation is not too bad when you consider that you lose a shed load of money whatever car you own. I had previosuly owned a 3 Series Convertible and find the 6 series a vast improvement although I accept this should be so based on the price tag. I would certainly recommend this car to anyone.

Clive Gwilliam, Cornwall, June 18th 2006

Ci 2dr

I owned a 645 coupe, the drive was as you would expect from a BMW. However the reliability was dreadful. I complained to the dealership as they had the car for 2 weeks out of the 1st month. The electrics were the issue i Drive either didnt work at all or was faulty. Sat nav stopped,DVD would not eject, CD would not turn off at all,radio stations changed at random, seat, mfsw, and audio memory just pleased itself, i drive wheel did not function, sat nav voice could not be turned off( this is just a few examples). The windows would let themselves down after parking, the boot release broke, the the hydraulic system broke, which meant the boot just crashed closed. BMW Uk did not want to know and took no action whatsoever, saying that is what a warranty is for, try arbitration or a solicitor. The dealership after 5 months agreed to a meeting and admitted the multi point chech was not up to standard. BEWARE the i drive does not form part of this check and the 1st owners memory had NOT been erased. The dealer then had the car for 2 days to fix it. I took delivery the faults were still there. I then rejected the car. The dealer then had the car for a further 3 weeks and traded me down top another vehicle( I lost a packet) and sold the 645 on the forcourt for 7 k more than I was offerred. in the end the dealer did give a token gesture which made it more palatable however BMW UK - ! My opinion, leave it alone untill the service in a case like this is sorted out.

Neil Espin, June 4th 2006

i 2dr

Great car, very refined compared to my previous 330Ci Sport Conv. Has the key options of Sat Nav Pro, Bluetooth, different 18 inch alloys (19s will get scuffed), autobox, ipod connection. Although folding mirrors should be standard on a wide car like this, but at least leather is standard. Colour is Mineral Silver which receives lots of compliments, but biege leather can easily get marked / dirty (constantly wiping kids shoeprints from chair backs). Huge boot. PDC indication is best I have seen (Merc CLS poor here) Amazingly lighter than my previous 3 series due to lighter panels and engine, and with more power the 3 litre units shifts even in non-sport mode. This is the best option as it will not guzzle as much as bigger engines and will not depreciate as quick. A great drive, quiet, and deceptive (watch the needle to preserve license on motorway). Can be a little twitchy in wet or uneven roads may be due to run flat tyres, but generally good handling except icy/snow conditions (lost backend too easily). This version of I-drive is good, although having more info within dials like Merc CLS would be better; it has rebooted on 3 occasions which dealer could not give an answer to. Had this for over 6 months no issues. In summary a great tourer, with impressive presence and pretty practical as well. But don't buy one as I don't want to see too many on the road!

Harp Mann, Hertfordshire, April 21st 2006

i 2dr

I've had this car for about six months now, and it is better in almost every area than my last car, a Jaguar XK8. As a big bloke – 6ft 2in tall, 16-and-a-half stone – I find the car has enough leg room for an adult to sit behind me in some comfort and wide enough for me to be able to not have to constantly breathe in – an experience I definitely didn't enjoy in a 911. It is quick – it feels as fast as the XK, and handles better. I can't fault the ride, too, especially on a long-distance motorway run. You don't notice the automatic gearbox, which is as it should be, I guess, and economy-wise I spend about Β£35 a week on petrol, driving roughly 10,000 miles a year. I even like idrive, which is, as far as I'm concerned, quite user friendly and, ergonomically, pretty much perfectly sited. Interestingly, first-time passengers often comment on how quiet and refined the car seems. As for its head-turning ability, I get at least one positive comment a week. My only real dislike is its interior, which has more plastic than your average Lego set and is thus nowhere near as classy as the XK. I didn't like having to buy floor mats, either. All in all, though, it's a very good car indeed.

Michael Eboda, December 27th 2005

i 2dr

I've owned this bmw since monday 4th december and its probably the best ive had since 1999 when i had a brand new Mercedes E55 AMG. The beamer is as quick as any performance car out there. I opted for the heated steering wheel option and it has every extra you can get and I probably will have a M6 or a M5 NEXT.

michael robertson, worcestershire, December 9th 2005

i 2dr

Typical BMW quality of materials and driving experience. Ample room in the rear seats for adults for journeys of less than 30mins. However, the doors do not open wide enough for me and I am of average size and proportions. Seem to be thirsty on petrol consumption, too.

I Goldsmith, September 27th 2005

i 2dr

The 630i coupe although really a 2+2 is great to drive, well built like most BMWs. I opted for the 19" wheels which surprisingly do not increase the road noise considerably. The automatic box is very smooth and provides not significant value when used in Steptronic mode. Great on both long motorway runs and for fun in the lanes, options are costly but residuals likely to be hurt without Navigation, and decent alloys etc. I drive marginaly better with the return function but not as difficult as everyone makes out. Overall performs well, economy pretty good for a 3.0 litre heavy car and catches the eye, great thing is that there are not many on the road so reasonably exclusive in the UK. Better than a 530 if you do not need four doors.

Colin Clare, Herts, September 7th 2005