CitroΓ«n C5 Estate (08 - 16) Owner reviews

HDi 16V Exclusive [160] 5dr

I took a punt on C5 Exclusive Tourer with 90 K on when looking for another A6 estate.Ive had A8s,S classes etc and have to say the comfort, ride and quietness of cabin is superb and surpasses these. Citroen have been doing hydro pneumatic suspension for 60 years so its reliable proven technology..unlike other expensive marques. Floods..no probs just raise it up 4 " and plough through within reason. I like the electric tail gate lift, the parking sensors the automatic hand brake. The sat nav is OK (no postcodes but gps co ordinates are good..if these are good enough for a tomahawk missile then it will get me to the company on ane industrial estate). I like the steering wheel controls functional and easy to use.Its rare don't see many as everyone is blinded by the usual badge snobbery usually callow snotty reps who worship at the mantle of BMW/Audi etc.I like the 51 MPG, the tiptronic,the styling which is still very fresh. What on earth possessed the designers of the interior to put a cup holder in the middle of the arm rest and no i pod connection or blue tooth connection unforgivable for a 2008 car competing in this class. It goes round corners better than the boy racers will have to believe if you put it in sport mode. Its a quality interior not quite up to the Audi Merc standard in some areas but a cut above the competition.I can drop the back end suspension to let our aging Labby in or to load a 6' fridge freezer..oh and its or course self levelling suspension.

simon brown, gloucs, July 29th 2014

HDI 16V Exclusive [160] 5dr [Techno Pack]

simon brown, gloucs, July 29th 2014

HDi 16V VTR+ Nav [160] 5dr

Have Covered 50000 miles know problems i have had has been with transmission.There is whine from the differential from about 37-45 mph which apparently is normal which is totally unacceptable in my eyes having driven many brand new cars over 32 years i have never had such a noisy gearbox. Also have had problems with second gear synchromesh where by there is a crunch when going from 1st gear to second after 2 attempts at different dealers this seems to have resolved by stripping gearbox and replacing gears.The last problem i have had is there is a tremendous flat spot just as you engage the clutch to its full height position this is very intermittent last dealer has reloaded software and checked i have the latest software to see if this cure the problem this has been carried by first dealer before so we will wait and see if it has cured problem. I do enjoy driving the car apart from the gearbox whine and this is the only reason i will not be buying another Citroen.

Robert Edmead, Surrey, March 3rd 2013

HDi 16V Exclusive 5dr

My third C5 estate and easily the best yet. I have had the C5 estates in between a Subaru Forester, Outback & Citroen C-Crosser. I've had the car for 30 months and nothing has gone wrong with the car so far. I added the panoramic sunroof and 19" wheels and went with the beige/gold paint so the car really stands out in the carpark - esp the side profile on the 19" rims. Don't think I will be able to drive a car without a big sunroof anymore - so much lighter and the feeling of space. Incredibly comfortable car on the gas suspension, my wife manages to sleep in the car on long journeys something she never does! Engine has plenty of poke and the whole set up - even on the 19" wheels - is very quiet on the cruise. As fellow reviewers have said plenty of room for everything and no complaints from any passengers - all compliments bar a few 6"+ back seat drivers who find it a little tight in the legroom dept. The lack of cup holders in front is the only real bug bear - the one in the central glovebox is OK but you need to leave the lid up with anything bigger than a small can or 'tall' coffee size. Overall an outstanding vehicle for those looking for comfort over the 'hard' sports set up of some of the other cars in this class.

Jim Connor, South Ayrshire, August 31st 2012

HDi 110 SX 5dr

I bought this car 8 years ago with 97k miles and full history. I changed the cam belt and I am now about to change it again at 180k miles. Servicing has been by myself for the last five years with annual oil and filter changes, bi-annual air filter and fuel filter and several sets of pads and discs front and rear. During the ten year life of this car it has had the following non-service items replaced: washer pump (my fault), interior door handle (kids fault), comms 2000 unit (fog lights stalk broke, my fault) and gear lever gaitor (split). I also just fitted a used set of "Exclusive" alloy wheels and nearly new tyres for the price of ONE new tyre at Kwik-fit, oh, and I need to sort the passenger door solenoid out as it has gone sticky. Utterly dependable, monumental brakes, huge electric sunroof, like the tardis inside, smooth on every surface. Every toy under the sun, cheap to run, airbags everywhere, tows my trailer very nicely and I can't find another with a sunroof so I ain't changing until it goes bang! I would always advise - buy one that is at least 3 years old, buy the 2.0 HDi diesel (pre-FAP nonsense if you can!) and use Citroen Independent Specialists or DIY for the oily bits.

Rick Hough, Cheshire, March 20th 2012

HDi 16V Exclusive 5dr

Follow up to an earlier review; car has now gone back to the leasing company after 3 years and just over 99,000 miles. What went wrong? One blown daytime running light bulb and a fractured suspension pipe at 90,000 miles (apparently very rare). What was good? Incredible long distance car, superbly comfortable, very quiet, extremely stable in cross winds and loads of room making it capable of taking 5 adults and luggage without any discomfort. I specced it up so it was the Exclusive with the gas suspension, Xenon lights that turn with you, leather, massage seats, satnav, jukebox, telephone and 19 inch wheels. The wheels look great, don't disturb the ride and improve the roadholding. Beware the tyres are Β£300 each! Stick with 17 inch if you're buying privately. Nothing broke or let me down apart from the pipe which meant I had to drive slowly for a while until I got to a garage. It is not a sports car but can corner surprisingly quickly and securely and certainly quicker than a BMW 3 series that I borrowed where the BMW hopped and skipped over mid corner bumps that the Citroen ignored. Not the fastest car in the world either but will cruise all day at high speed without effort. Everyone who rode in it or drove it loved it. This is a wonderful modern interpretation of old school Citroen: soft, quiet and comfortable. Recommended if you want a large, comfortable, reliable, well equipped and stylish car. Look elsewhere if you're after a 'sporting' ride and a 'badge'.

Iain Bray, Cornwall, February 25th 2010

HDi 16V VTR+ 5dr

Options on my C5:- Panoramic sunroof - lets in lots of light and passengers appreciate it. Navicom - useful extra but very bright at night – screen can be turned off but then pointless! Needs a dimmed night-time function. Parking sensor pack - I would have saved the money and bought just reversing sensors at half the price. Numb steering - the steering seems quite acceptable. Instruments and switches - the speedo can be difficult to read but you can show speed numerically in the dial which is fine - problem is when you set the instruments to 'night mode' they all go out except the outer ring of the speedo! Other dials fairly easy to read. Several buttons but fairly logically set out and I have got used to them. The NaviDrive voice recognition helps as you give verbal commands without being distracted from driving. Travel sickness - not felt the least bit queasy. May be the steel springs as opposed to the hydropneumatic suspension. Cramped rear seating - No complaints from the family. Size of alloys - personal choice but I think the standard ones look fine - might have gone for the 18" wheels but this would have been for the tyre pressure monitor than for the wheel design. Low speed turning lights bit of a gimmick but can be turned off. Plastic strips on loading bay floor easily scuffed and it would be good if the tailgate could be unlocked from the key fob. Car is on lease and as such is good value. It is different, stylish and comfortable.

Timothy Pitt, West Sussex, January 11th 2009

HDi 16V Exclusive 5dr

Just collected my c5 and what a car.had the 19" alloys witch make the car stand out and had the full leather and the car is the best i have drove.Had a good deal from bristol street motors in nottingham got a full tank off diesel and three years servising free.And got the car at what car guide price. The car runs like a dream and is so smooth on the road not much noise out side when you close the door thanks to laminated windows all round.The heater warms up straight away witch is good on cold mornings. Also keep finding lights in the cabin at night witch look fantastic This is my first citroen and hats off to the boys in france.not seen many on the road but im sure there will be after people have had there test drive becouse this is when you fall in love with the car.I also may be the only one with the upgraded alloys. not a bad price at Β£500 but thay have to be factory fitted.

carl armstrong, November 14th 2008

HPi Exclusive SE 5dr

I bought the C5 Estate as new (pre-registered) with 9 miles on the clock. It broke down on the way home and I needed to call the RAC. Had I not been travelling through France the next day, it would have been straight back for a refund. Endless mechanical problems and service history as long as my arm. Worth about Β£3500 after 3 years if you try and trade it in (and you have a full tank of petrol). I could not sell mine because of continuous engine warning light that Citroen could not resolve 'anti pollution fault' Check it out on Google. After 44000 miles and 5 years old, timing belt went and destroyed engine beyond economical repair (This should be changed after ten years or 80K, but Citroen accept no liabilty). There is too much technology in this car and it does not seem to matter if you follow the service guidelines, it never got to the intervals without something going wrong. If you buy one get it covered by a warranty (Citroen/AA), or go by taxi. That car has cost me something like Β£100 per day to keep on the road for the 5 years I owned it (purchase price, tax, insurance, fuel (22mpg), repairs...). When it did work it was a nice comfortable car and appeared to have lots of nice extras, but I could never trust another Citroen again.

Stephen Noulton, October 6th 2008

HDi 110 SX 5dr

We needed a large comfortable estate car, and chose this one new in Sept 2002. Although I didn't intend to keep it this long, we still have it and it has now covered 83,000 miles. It is a very relaxing car to drive, very economical for its size and has been reliable. Apart from the usual expendables, I have had to have a new alternator and a relay for the air conditioning and thats about it. Initially, there were various trim and electrical problems and it has had five replacement tailgate windows! They are supposed to open, but just jam sometimes and the only cure is a new window. I have not bothered having them changed them since the car went out of warranty... Apart from that the car copes very well with trips to Ireland to see family, holidays to the Med laden with four of us and all of our camping gear, around town driving and even the stupid 160 miles a day commute I was doing recently. A highly reccommended car.

David Roper, Hampshire, September 25th 2008

HDi 16V VTX+ 5dr [173]

This is the best car I've ever owned. My previous recent cars include a Ford Mondeo estate, Volvo V70 estate and Audi A6 estate, and this is superior to all of them. It has loads of smooth power with great cruising ability, it's quiet and comfortable, and has a massive load-carrying capacity. It also tows really well, with its self-levelling suspension being a real bonus. There are no faults yet (I've put 10,000 miles on it in six months), other than a bit of eccentricity from the computer/CD/phone/juke box. It returns well over 40mpg in mixed driving. With current used prices so low, this must be the best-value big car available today. It's an absolute bargain and highly recommended.

JOHN BROADLEY, LANCS, June 23rd 2008

HDi 110 Exclusive 5dr

This is a beautiful car to cover miles in. I bought her at 4 years old and 102k miles. In 9 months I have added just over 20k miles doing over 40 to the gallon at good speeds across rural road and motorways. She can be slow to pick up at low revs but she can also move well. She is quiet and smooth like a limo and I get out daily feeling as good as I did wjhen i got in. A few niggles with things but I can forgive those for the redeeming features. Would I buy another? Yes a newer one but a diesel again.

Andrew Herkes, Bucks, April 9th 2008

HDi 110 SX 5dr

I bought this super car with 50,000 miles on the clock. I have put another 60,000 on the car. It has been the best car I have ever owned! The comfort of long-distance driving and low-cost, trouble-free motoring have been a real asset. My diesel version is still doing about 650 miles per tank. I have had no problems with the suspension unlike my previous Xantia. Obviously, I have avoided Citroen dealerships (all French car owners know what I mean), but my local Suffolk garage has dealt with the car at very reasonable cost, including a new cam belt at 100,000 miles. I would buy another like a shot. I'm selling it now, but the new owner will have a good car for many years to come.

Andrew Small, August 22nd 2007

HDi 16V VTR 5dr

This car is just over two years old, has 80,000 miles on the clock, and averages 60mpg - it's brilliant.

Edward Moseley, Worcs, July 24th 2007

HDi 16V VTX+ 5dr [173]

Having owned a 406 exec estate I was missing the leather already but, the ride space equipment and power from this engine is outstanding .Gone is that turbo lag that the 2.2gave. Yes the the handling is not as crisp as a ford and there is some deflection in high wind but it is a total pleasure to drive for 5 hours at a time space ,ride ,comfort toys ,noise levels,power and economy . A big boat,not a good looker, but a definite wolf in sheeps clothing that would swallow a few mother inlaws with room for the kichen sink ,shower and bath .

mark albert, sussex, July 4th 2007

HDi 16V Exclusive 5dr

Comfortable,roomy, fast, good looking, extremely well equipped with a very smooth ride and well suppressed wind, tyre and engine noise. There is very little intrusion of external noise into the cabin due to laminated side glass and good door sealing. I have no regrets about buying this car and have been very happy with it.

Nicholas Wilson, Cambridgeshire, June 24th 2007

HDi 110 Exclusive 5dr

After 40,000 miles I still love the car. It does all that can be expected of it. Annoyed that I had to get an external SatNav aerial to drive a TomTom inside, but that's because of the heat-reflective front window. Some trouble with the parking sensor, tested during a service, but of course not reproduced! The 'eyes' had been kept very clean, yet every now and then it decides on a constant warning tone - thus I now don't trust it. A super car which should not be losing out on bad resale values.

Bryn Wayt, East Sussex, April 28th 2007

HDi 16V VTX+ 5dr [173]

This car could be the best secret on the UK large family car market today, it really is that good. I've ran several large estate cars before, such as a Ford Scorpio 2.3 Ultima, Saab 9-5 2.0 turbo SE, Vauxall Omega 2.0 CD and my C5 is a similar size to all these yet it drives better, has more equipment, and is massively less expensive. If you like the big floaty estate barge thing this one is for you. Great arm chair type seats, incredible levels of kit, very quiet/smooth ride, plenty of power, plenty of space, and given the performance reasonable co2 and fuel consumption. If I have a concern its that this is one very complex French car with a massive amount of techology such as the variable suspension, European satnav, mp3 jukebox with 30gb hard disk, twin turbos etc. But so far my car has been 100% fault free during the 2000 miles I've put on it.

Mark Trevor, Notts, April 28th 2007

HDi 16V Exclusive 5dr

We found that the C5 is the only genuine 5-seater non-MPV on the market. The Volvo V70, Accord, Primera or Avensis are very cramped for 3 adults in the back. Mondeo, Passat and Audi A6 (all '5 seaters'): transmission tunnel and centre console in the way. Saab 9-5: thin, hard seat cushion. Mercedes E-Class:reasonable but firm seat is hardly luxury. None of these seats 5 adults in comfort. The C5 felt as if its designer actually tried sitting in the middle back seat. My three tall daughters reported plenty space, good legroom, comfortable seats - no complaints at all, so a C5 it had to be. Fortunately, the C5 turns out to be rather nice in most other respects too - plenty power, well-designed cabin with some thoughtful touches, electronic gadgets mostly useful and well designed - and that wonderful suspension. It soaks up bumps and coarse surfaces but doesn't roll too much on corners. Put a load in the back and it simply pumps itself up to suit. Our Galaxy was a good long-distance cruiser but the Citroen is in a different league, swishing along TGV-style. My C5 isn't perfect - it has a couple of slight rattles and the on-board computer exaggerates economy by 8%. Real economy is reasonable for a big car with aircon and gadgets - 45mpg on long runs but dropping into the 30s in winter around town. Complaints seem minor compared with what it does well. I can see why people fall in love with big Citroens.

Alasdair Beal, January 20th 2007

HDi 16V Exclusive 5dr

I drive 35,000+ miles each year, and value the exceptionally smooth and quiet ride this car gives. The engine is ideally suited to this type of driving, and 138bhp is spot on for long haul motorway cruising. As an estate car, it's the best I've ever had, with the load capacity (both weight and volume)being a big improvement on my previous Passat estates. The opening tailgate window has been a real boon on busy shopping trips. Downside? Some problems with the tyre pressure sensors, eventually eliminated by reprogramming. My wife loves the parking sensor display and sounds!

Martin Johnson, Cambs, January 3rd 2007