Hyundai Coupe Coupe Owner reviews

SE 3dr

I really enjoyed driving this car, it looked good, was quick of the mark and had a surprising amount of room for a coupe. The boot is huge and the backseat is cramped but useable. The problems start when you need to replace something or something goes wrong. All the parts are expensive and for the most part work can only be completed at the Hyundai garage. It mioght have just been my car but after a year of great driving, everything started to go. Running the car when everything is working isn't that easy either as the fuel economy isn't very good. The car looks nice and newer models amy be more reliable and cheaper to run but I unfortunately couldn't afford this car for long. If you like this car then save up some more money and buy a celica. The look is similar but the quality is far superior.

Tom Elliott, South Yorkshire, April 18th 2011

SIII 3dr

I bought the car 2nd hand, as I've always liked the look of them, and I was pleased to find it drove very well. Having previously owned a hot-hatch, the more comfortable ride was welcome, yet it is still fun to drive when pushed. The steering is on the heavy side at low speed, but you do get more communication through it than in most other cars. The driving position could be improved, but the seat is well adjustable, and it's not hard to find a comfortable position. On the motorway, I find the standard fit tyres are a bit noisy, but the car cruises well. It is not hugely fast, but I don't think that is it's mission. Even so, the engine is a strong, gutsy unit, and is delivering very reasonable economy.

Michael Wrightson, Cumbria, October 19th 2008

SE 3dr

went from old corsa to this car, got the one before the double headlighted spider type version,Β£40 got me just shy of 450miles when took a camping trip from bham to western supermare, keeping at a steady 70mph at just over 3000rpm, car doesnt like it car would rather be doin 4000rpm which would be 95mph, car looks fast and sporty, yet its poky enough just little more would be brill. over all its not to much to cost, you dont need to go fast to enjoy its ride, and you dont half feel tall when you get out, with just 80000 on a v reg plate, i feel i want to keep it and clock many many many more miles yet, i recommend one, why pay for the badge eg merc, bmw, porche when good old hyundai can do it for you

Tom Mortiboys, west midlands, September 18th 2008

SE 3dr

I own a 2001 y reg 2.0 se and have had it 3 years, bought it with 48,000 and now has 96,000. In all the time i have had it it has never let me down, have had it serviced regularly and is still a joy to drive as it was when I took it for a test drive. Have put larger alloys on,uprated brakes and a k and n and although it could do with being a bit quicker its more than enough to cope with motorway mileage that I do. I would definatley have another one...maybe the new limited edition one!!!!. Havent had problems with paint or electrics...yet..

n weir, west glamorgan, September 17th 2008

SE 3dr

I took this car for a test drive today and was very impressed with the handling and excelleration. I am looking to maybe purchase a 2001 Y plate which has conducted only 42,000 in 7 years which after looking at the bodywork has been garaged and has had TLC during use. I am looking to pay sub Β£3k for this version but have concerns over reviews read on electrics failing, leaks and the flaking paint issues. Can anyone offer me advise or personal experiences on this model. Many thanks,

keith hunter, Northumberland, August 11th 2008

SE 3dr

I own a 2.0 SE '05 model, with the revised front end (new shape and smoked lights and new style 'grille' - a difference I wasn't aware of when I bought but am very glad of now as I think it is a vast improvement on the previous front end). Have had it since June '07 and it was a steal - very high mileage (100k plus) but is the most beautiful drive I've owned. If anyone is umming and arring about investing in one, go for it! My experience of the Hyundai dealerships (Swansea & Gloucester) with regard to the 5-yr manufacturer's warranty have been second to none - the warranty was one of the decisive reasons I bought the car and I have not been disappointed with the few problems I've had (nothing major). Despite high-mileage, car drives brilliantly and sounds great! Not sure on exact mpg but full tank is Β£60 and depending on amount of motorway and town driving (the mpg dial helps keep my foot light!) I tend to average about 350 miles, which I don't think is too bad for the type of car. Interior is very pretty, can fit 2 adults in back seats (although can be claustrophobic) and boot is easily big enough. Overall, a lot of car for the money - love it!

Ben Dawson, July 29th 2008

S 3dr

I love this car. I bought a 04 model and imported it back to Ireland and saved a fortune!anyway thats another rant. Handling is great, nice and safe but very sporty!Ride is jiggly but its a sports car so I was expecting that. 1.6 isnt that underpowered its just not bursting with power!nice noise though!rear room is decent for a sports car and the boot is a good size too. Mine is a 1.6 with full leather and CD changer so equipment is great, only gripes are lack of sunroof and multigauges the 2.0ltr gets.Excellent car would definately recommend. The Coupe owners site is fantastic too! Handbrake cable just snapped so hopefully it will be replaced under warranty. Other then that its be perfect no rattles, or bits falling off. Best car I have ever had!!!really looking forward to the all new one!

Paul McCarthy, February 21st 2008

S 3dr

I've had the car for nearly a year and besides a leaking rear window and a few electrical niggles i would have to say i love this car and would tell anyone to buy it. The dealer in Motherwell is fantastic and has fixed everything under warranty without any hassle at all. The car looks the biz but is a tad under powered, fuel consumption isn't amazing but still getting over 300 miles to a Β£50 tank of fuel, the one thing i hate however is the cars turning circle: i reckon i could turn the QE2 in a smaller space, but hey small price to pay for a car which looks this good.

Michael McCusker, December 31st 2007

SE 3dr

I’ve owned this car for 6months now and have generally been happy. It’s had two previous owners and been serviced regularly. It’s now done 48000miles. Positives: It handles well and accelerates well from 1st to 3rd. The cruise control is handy. Don’t listen to reports about buttons in difficult places- it’s not difficult to reach the dashboard behind the steering wheel! The leather seats are comfortable and can be adjusted to fit most statures- I’m 6ft 3 and have adequate headroom (although a sore neck is common on long journeys). The boot space is average. Mechanically I’ve had no noteworthy problems. It starts perfectly and makes a satisfying grumble when accelerating. Fuel economy is average for its class. Rear legroom is very limited- why not just make it a 2 seater?! Negatives Lots of rattles/creaks. The driver window rattles during acceleration and in high winds. When it’s hotter the leather creaks. The gear stick is a problem. When travelling above 60mph it vibrates and only stops if you keep a hand resting on it. Watch for leaks around the window seals and rust around the boot. The biggest problem I’ve had has been the paint. I’ve owned many cars and have never known paint to peel. Initially this was a problem around the spoiler but it has spread to other areas. I would recommend this car for those desiring a value for money but reasonably fun and practical car. Its cheap to buy and cheap to maintain. Go for the earlier 2.0L SE as they changed the profile.

John Taylor, Hampshire, December 5th 2007

SE 3dr

Had the car for 5 years. Not an out and out sports car but sporty enough for general pleasure. Good looking but absent side mouldings means it attracts door dents. Mechanically it has been sound. Exhaust manifold did crack but replaced under warranty with no fuss. Economy not as good as suggested but not bad either. Electrical niggles, motors going on window and sunroof (but replaced on warranty). Big boot but cramped interior (for back seat passengers). Overall it has been a pleasurable experience owning this car and represents true value for money. 5 year warranty excellent and worthwhile!

marios josephidou, Beds, November 14th 2007

SIII 3dr

I picked up my new Coupe in May 2007, and I am extremely delighted with it. However my brother noticed I was sitting oddly - I was sitting to the left of the seat and had my head in the sun roof. So it's not suitable for anyone over 6ft tall and not even a small child could fit in the seat behind me. To be honest, this car is not worth what Hyundai want for it, as their price is too close to a Mecedes C-Class Sports Coupe, but if you shop around you can get a good deal. I got mine for Β£15,400, which makes it well worth the money.

David Benzie, West Lothian, July 25th 2007

SIII 3dr

I was very impressed when I test-drove this car, it completely blew away all the badge snobbery. The cabin was very quiet and comfortable, although a little short on head room with the sunroof blind closed. The 2.0 litre has enough power and sounds very nice when being taken through the gears. The car has surpassed my expectations, and is very good value for money. It beats the Toyaota Celica on both equipment and driving enjoyment, although the 2.0 is a little thirsty when the throttle is used to it's maximum. However, overall it is a very good coupe to own and drive.

LEE HINE, CARMARTHENSHIRE, July 13th 2007

SIII 3dr

I've had this car for just over two months and I can't fault it. The petrol consumption is better than my previous car (Citroen C4 1.6)and I haven't even broken it in properly yet! The ride is a bit bumpy due to the fact that it has sports suspension and low profiles but that's half the fun of driving it. I highly recommend this car. It is a lot of car for the money. PS. I got a great deal with my local Hyundai dealer so haggle with them. You'll probably get something off the price.

susan loader, June 18th 2007

SE 3dr

When I first had this car I loved it. t has fantastic handling and a very comfortable driving position, although the gear change is rather rough and you certainly need to learn the knack of getting it into reverse. Then after four years of having this car the manifold split. This wasn't covered in the warranty and the dealer wanted Β£2000 to replace this. The paintwork is peeling on the door handles and I have seen another Coupe with this problem. In my opinion the interior is very nice. It's not the normal lumpy black plastic look of many cars. The console is quite futuristic in style and components are well placed. I can't say I would get another Hyundai though, as I feel the general quality is not very good and having a major part fail within four years and expecting one's customer to pick up the bill does nothing for customer service.

Toni Seckerson, May 30th 2007

SIII 3dr

I drove this car for about hour on test drive. Car is well put togther and firm. No rattles Steering is a little heavy but on a plus you get a lot feedback when corning at speed. I had four full size adults in the car on the test drive and the handling was brillant. Push to the limit on bends and it holds very well. Cabin has none of the cheap plastic look or feel. Really think i might buy this car. Not to sure which one 2.0L or 2.7V6

Paul Stevens, West Midlands, March 19th 2007

SE 3dr

I loved this car! It suited my life style (I spend a lot of time driving and I need a roomy boot), it felt safe but sporty and was a comfortable drive. Unfotunately it burst into flames in the 3rd lane of a very busy motorway!! The fire brigade arrived quickly and, although the engine and front end were unrecognisable, the contents of the cabin and boot were undamaged. I have contacted Hyundai as there is 3 more years left on the warranty. I would be interested to hear if there have been any other such incidents.

Janet Whincup, Lancashire, December 14th 2006

V6 3dr

A very enjoyable car to drive - the handling is excellent. You have to push the revs to get the best out of the V6 engine, but there's just enough power there. Fuel economy isn't great, but other than that it's a fine car. I'm 6'2" and I'm fine in the driver's seat, although people any taller than me might find it tight for headroom. There is more boot space than is immediately apparent as well - put the back seats down and there's bags of room. Definitely recommended.

Simon Heeley, London, November 28th 2006

V6 3dr

I've owned this car since late 2004 and it has only ever had 2 problems in that time. The passenger door lock siezed but was fixed under warranty and the alarm had a habbit of going off if it was cold outside and you had done much more than 20 miles. I was told that the heat set off the internal motion sensors but it seems to have sorted it self out over the last year. The car is a great drive, handles very well for a front wheel drive car but will understeer if pushed hard in the wet, and I was once caught out by lift off over steer when I felt the back go at a roundabout in the wet and stupidly took my foot off the accelorater and spun 90 degrees. The engine sounds great and is very torquey across the rev range. One let down is the fact that a 2.7 should deliver a lot more than 165 bhp, it's rather lazy. My only theory is that Hyundai could not offer a 5 year warranty if it were any more highly tuned as the engine would not last as long. At least if you push the engine it won't break on you.

graham carr, hertfordshire, October 24th 2006

SE 3dr

I've owned my 2000 F2 Evolution since 2002 and am still impressed with it. Sleek contours on the outside, leather and crome in the cabin make this one of the most enjoyable cars i have owned. Running costs are minimal and the ride is great for a tuned sports coupe. I particularly like the Air Con and Cruise Control features - Very useful when travelling long distances over the summer months.

Mark Wilson, Beds, October 11th 2006

S 3dr

1.6 is nippy but rather underpowered for its looks, but with modern driving restrictions so what. Cheap insurance,great to drive, miles to the gallon,looks the business. 2L might be a better option but with fuel over a Β£1.00 a litre at time of writing 1.6 model makes sense. Warranty is second to none and I got a three year free service deal. Had it for two years now absolutely no problems. Would buy again.

Mike Belcher, Worcestershire, August 23rd 2006