DI-DC Equippe 3dr

I felt compelled to write a reply, because, as every other owner/reviewer has already highlighted, this is a fabulous car and I have no idea why the motoring press seem to dislike it. Its our every day family car and feels indestructible. We have the SG4 version, which I think looks fabulous, has every conceivable extra including 7 seats for kids and their friends, rear DVD and games consoles, large screen Sat nav, amazing sounds system and above all else dozens of airbags and safety features. It been 100% reliable over the year we have owned it and is plenty tough enough to deal with all the demands of family life. We love our Shogun and can't think of any other vehicle that is better at this price point, so you really ought to drive one if you are considering a 4x4 or any other 7 seater for that matter. On road it's perfectly comfortable, and whilst it certainly isn't as refined as a Q7, it's also not going to get stuck in a muddy field! Arguably the best machine off road machine out there and even if you only using it off road occasionally, it great fun and very reassuring to know that you aren't going to get stuck anywhere. Any comparisons to the Discovery is frankly pointless, as another reviewer has already mentioned, it is SO much cheaper to buy and run. Mine was 6 months old and 50% less than the equivalent spec Discovery!! Plus it's been faultless, which is something LR owners very rarely say.

James Masters, Surrey, April 8th 2015

DI-D Classic 3dr

I bought my Shogun Warrior Long Wheel base Auto 3.2 Diesel new in July 2003 and still use it most days. I have covered some 152000 miles mostly tarmac but also off-road and towing occasionally. Β£30000 new The vehicle is services every 9000 miles or 12 months and has proved to be extremely reliable. It gets used for round trips daily of 25 miles or more.........great for the appalling roads and potholes where I live. Like other users I have had to replace Brake Disc at approx. 100K miles and wiper mechanism at 120K miles. Biggest replacement was Timing Chain & Sprockets ( without taking head off) at 140K miles but the vehicle owes me nothing.............I run it permanently in 4 x 4 mode without problems............even long distance motorway work......7 seats, leather, practical as its used to cart all sorts of rubbish and still look good for family outings. Seems safe, stable around bends at the right speeds. Still has original exhaust, front suspension, gearbox, radiator etc..........new water pump wisely fitted with Timing Chain........... I would love another, after 11 years they are still the same price............ I feel sorry for those who have bought Lemon's and have trouble, but so far so good...........when a big problem comes I guess it will have to be scraped..........as its not worth spending huge amounts on now. Despite the current completion, I would still look seriously at another one..........

Stephen Jewell, Isle of Wight, November 14th 2014

DI-DC [197] Warrior 3dr

Before buying my 2014 Shogun SG2 automatic, I had a Hyundai Santa Fe, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Peugeot 406 Estate, Range Rover, Mercedes E200, and others all the way to a VW Beetle 1300. I rate the Shogun as the best of them and am baffled by the What Car review. The Shogun is outstanding value, the build quality is excellent and I have confidence in its reliability. Of course, a smaller car would be cheaper to run, but as I do about 10,000 mile per year, fuel costs are reasonable. The only thing In the Shogun SG3 that I'd like to have is the rear-view camera. In the UK, the rear differential lock is not offered, which is regrettable. These limitations are minor and detract little from the rating.

Timothy Coe, October 16th 2014

DI-DC Equippe 3dr

I cannot figure out why What Car have given this just one star. As a owner of Mercedes, Toyota and Land Rover the Shogun is an exceptionally brilliant and reliable car. It looks amazing and has a solid build that will last for years and the the new model SG4 which I now have is beautifully loaded and oozes style and quality. Ok, it may not be the best in certain areas but overall you cannot discount it at all. With the current prices being slashed by Mitsubishi it's worth considering and taking for a test drive. It is a diesel and the engine may be a little loud but it is a smooth drive, very nippy and a pleasure to drive. Mitsubishi's multimedia control system is actually very good and once I figured how to adjust the sound the car suddenly became a concert hall. It's strange but I feel so proud of my Mitsubishi, more so than any other car I owned. Go check it out today and like others said do not discount it on the whim of reading poor reviews, it's actually rather good!

Monica Rathore, December 6th 2013

DI-DC Equippe 3dr

Published reviews tend to give the Shogun real praise - or slate it. Read with care, else you could dismiss the perfect car for you without even seeing it. Fact is the Shogun is simply brilliant with literally nothing else remotely comparable at the (now reduced) prices, as long as your needs and the Shoguns qualities match. Sounds obvious, but many reviewers simply seem not to understand such a basic point. There are plenty of people out there, often country folk, for whom there is no better choice, and reviews should reflect this and at least try to understand why so many owners go back for more time after time. If you must have a car that has the 'right' badge, the latest technology in all respects and 'of the moment' design so that it impresses your mates - then the Shogun may not do it. If you have so much money you can buy anything you want, again, you may look elsewhere. However if you want a large full size 4x4 for Β£29-37k that really is built to last, is VERY capable off road and for towing, that you can use and abuse without worry of bits dropping off, and that is genuinely smart, comfortable, relaxed and luxurious in a functional sort of way then what else is there out there at Shogun money? Similarly equipped Discoveries and Land Cruisers are 33% to 50% more expensive so rule them out. Kia and Hyundai soft roaders are similar money but ultimately aren't tough or big enough. Shogun is NOT unrefined or slow, so try it, you may find a true friend.

Graham Cullimore, Worcestershire, October 21st 2013

DI-DC Equippe 3dr

This is my 4th Shogun over the past 20 years. They cannot be beaten off road and are bullet-proof. Good value compared with others similarly loaded and should sell more.

roger slade, August 13th 2011

DI-D GLS 5dr

This vehicle costs every penny paid for it. I didn't expect a new version to be so stately and combine it with perfect AWD technology. SuperSelect I love it! You can feel free on the road and there is no problem for you to conquer hills and off-terrain territories

Vugar Hashim, February 5th 2009

V6 GDI GLS 5dr Auto

I have owned 4X4 for the past 7 years, I have had 2.5/2.8 and I have been very pleased with Mitsubishi in general from fuel economy reliability and performance And the one I am very please with is my new GDI pajero /shogun It has a very luxurious cabin and comfortable seats! It feels very steady and powerful to drive.. I will definitely keep this car for years to come as it is every thing that most 4X4 drivers would like to have This is a brilliant vehicle and compared to my 2.8 TD LWB I had, i would buy another one for a second car.

mason stephan, MIDDLESEX, December 26th 2008

GDI Warrior 5dr Auto

When I had even went to see the car atthe dealer I loved it right from the start of seeing it... It has a very luxurious cabin and comfortable seats! It feels very steady and powerful to drive.. It also makes very light work of towing our caravan! I WOULD BUY ANOTHER FOR MY NEXT CAR!!!

Andrew Clarke, Ayrshire, November 14th 2008

Di-D Warrior 5dr Auto

What a nightmare, purchased from the auction, very tidy, had it serviced by Mitsubishi expert, all ok. Before the purchase we had owned a 1997 lwb 2.8 for 8 years, great car. This Black horrible monster was cheap and nasty. Pulling out the car park one night no drive, revved the engine higher to hear a almighty bang and drive. Sold within a day.

ian trimnell, October 23rd 2008

DI-DC Diamond 5dr Auto

This is an overlooked gem. It drives calmly and smoothly on all road surfaces; is comfortable with leather, aircon and a half length sunroof; has enormous amounts of legroom and space; and keeps you moving and safe in the snow and off road (its one of the few 4x4's with central & rear diffs and also has automatic hill descent control). Dealer service has been impeccable and we haven't had a single fault or problem. It may be cheaper than the competition but its a much better car.

Richard C, August 25th 2008

DI-D Equippe 5dr

I do like my Shogun, however, I bought when it was 3 years old from a local dealer and got a 1 year warranty on it. A month after the warranty ran out, the auto gearbox went and I was horrified that a car that was 4 years old with 55k on the clock should have that problem. I contacted the dealer and Mitsubishi, but they were not sympathetic in any way and after a quote for Β£7000 for a new gearbox, I had to get a reconditioned one for Β£4500. I am still paying off the credit card bill 3 years on. It's a big monster and I feel incredibly safe in it. I keep thinking of changing it and then decide not to.

Kae Margetts, Powys, July 1st 2008

DI-DC Elegance 5dr Auto

I don't know what Mitsubishi did to annoy the motoring press, but here is a car with the highest customer loyalty in the world - if you take the number of Shogun owners who buy another, (Apparently 70% of Shogun's are bought by previous owners)but pretty consistently dissed by the press. If you would like a luxury saloon with a high driving position - then mabye look at something like a Renault Espace, but if you would acutally like to be able to use your off-road vehicle off road then I really struggle to come up with a better option. I chose it over Touaregs, ML's and Nissan Pathfinders and I am really enjoying it, with close to 30 000km's on the clock not one niggle, pretty good consumption, good cruising ability and amazing off-road prowess. Just a good quality simple honest, proven car....

James vanderWesthuizen, Gauteng, June 26th 2008

DI-DC Equippe 5dr

I am a long time owner of 4x4's, and as such have experienced every type of land rover, and driven most types of 4x4's off and on road from isuzus to nissans and mitshubishi. In my opinion this Shogun is a major step up from the previous models and anyone who has any experience of owning and actually using a four wheel drive vehicle like this must appreciate how capable this vehicle is. I operate in extreme environments such as Alpine passes and then have to drive huge distances in my role filming sports. This truck is not a Range Rover with leather seats and a silky smooth V6, it is a 4 pot off roader which has been improved significantly on road. It is very comfortable, with good seats, reasonable driving position, a very good 6 speaker sound system, very smooth auto box, lots of space inside, much improved black plastics and shiny surfaces, good internal storage and a very good little onboard computer with all the gizmos you expect. The ride is firm but very smooth, no sign of the reported knocks and rattles that professional reviewers seem to bang on about. I was ready to hate this truck from the few available reviews I pored over whilst choosing it, and being that i had little choice as its a company car that made me worry! Good luck and hammer the dealer hard...they want to sell these things so dont be nice to them!

Matt Wilks, June 12th 2008

Di-D Warrior 5dr Auto

I have just removed the spare wheel from my Shogun Warrior, one of the last of the previous models and only registered December 2007. The spare wheel has been tight against the rear door and has rubbed the lacquer of the paint. The local dealer said there should have been a spacer fitted to the Warrior because of the larger wheels to prevent this happening and put a warranty claim in for the rectification work. Mitsubishi U.K. have refused the claim stating that it is not a manufacturer’s defect. What rubbish, if this is not a defect then what is?

Steve Taylor, Oxfordshire, June 4th 2008

V6 GDI Elegance 5dr Auto

I have had this car for about 6 months now, done just over 5000 miles and it been a pleasure all the way. I have towed a caravan and a horse trailer with no problem. I am getting 24 MPG round trip (school run, work and motorway driving), now if the diesels are getting around 25-30 MPG and on average 10p/L more than petrol, there doesn seem to be ny cost saving on the diesel anymore. This is a brilliant vehicle and compared to my 2.8 TD LWB I had, i would buy another one for a second car. What you get for the price is awesome and I bet the good far out ways the bad on this site, so if you thinking of a Shogun you should not be disapointed.

Steven Richardson, May 25th 2008

DI-D Equippe 5dr

I have owned my shogun now for 3 years. I must say it is ultra reliable and has never broken down on me but the servicing costs are just unbearable, I recently had a 56k service, allegedly timing belt although they don't have one but I was charged Β£650 for the privilege, even though it was a straight forward servive with no faults. It rides well on tarmac and reasonably quiet. Just recently the auto box has started playing up, it will stick in gear and not when hard accelerating, so expecting over the top expence again. If you can afford mitsubishi prices you should be ok.

neil bailey, west yorkshire, March 11th 2008

DI-D Elegance 5dr Auto

I purchased the car 1 week before Christmas and was initially pleased. A 2001 GLS with elegance spec originally supplied to a dealer exported to Cyprus new then re-imported. fully loaded top of the range after market voice activated sat nav..the works. I expected the new one to be as solid and reliable as the old with more power...well I got the power bit right but the build quality thats another story. Its now January and the car is off the road with a failed fuel pump. Full service history and 70k on the clock and Im facing a bill of over Β£1500 but thats not the worst of it. A company in Maidstone(Kent Diesels)are doing the work but they are also doing fuel pump rebuilds for Mitsubishi UK at the rate of 1 a week and some are still under warranty. and remember this is a rebuild of the old pump NOT Replace it. The gears inside the pump disintegrate. God knows how the car would cope off road my mountain bike takes more abuse. Add this to the suspension/disc rebuilds that can be needed at 60K-70k and your in a world of hurt. These cars are supposed to be tough and given what they cost I can only say that i am very angry. I can live with the plastic, vague steering and ride compared to rivals but the build quality and repair bills are unforgivable so when the car is collected next week its for sale and yes I'll be buying a Landcruiser and wont touch a Shogun ever again. Avoid like the plague unless your wealthy and like taking the bus.

darryl evans, kent, January 22nd 2008

DI-D Equippe 5dr

Don't buy one! I have to agree with Martin Ellis - I've had shocking maintenance and servicing from Mitsubishi. The cylinder head went about one month after the warranty ran out (my car has 42,000 miles on the clock and is a 2002-plate model with a full service history) and cost about Β£2500 for an engine rebuild. It went again on the next long run about 200 miles after the rebuild. It turns out that they didn't replace the stretch-bolts during the re-build - a very, very basic error, but I was still hit with the labour costs of the subsequent investigation and then the fluids, too (another Β£250)! I'm currently eyeing up a Land Cruiser - I can handle a bit of body roll against constantly paying out for engines.

Colin Anderson, North Lanarkshire, August 13th 2007

DI-DC Equippe 5dr Auto

Having owned Land Rovers (Discos and Rangies) I have become totally despondent, not only with terrible reliability but also by the off-hand attitude of LR dealers. Having been lumbered with a massive bill for engine replacement I decided enough was enough and ventured into the world of Japanese 4x4 and have not regretted it. The Shogun drives better than the Range Rover, the diesel is better performing, as good off road as LR, and far far better value. My only minor problem was when the satnav monitor lead worked lose, but that was easily fixed. Even my friends who still own LRs are impressed with the level of kit and value. For me it's more about the experience whilst driving, and apart from being slightly more noisy than the Range Rover (but it's half the price!) I have no gripes (apart from attitude of the service dept at local dealers) and only praise. I just wish I'd made the decision to buy Mitsubishi years ago.

Colin Caldicott, Beds, July 12th 2007