X
Owner reviews

Peugeot 406 Saloon (96 - 04) Owner reviews

HDi 110 LX 4dr [AC+SN]

• Average MPG 46 mpg

I bought this car six years ago for Β£3500 with 52k on the clock. It has been amazing, great to drive, comfortable, quick enough, quiet, fun to throw about and really economical.It always does 45mpg plus, and I have seen 55mpg, which combined with the huge fuel tank means 700 miles per tank. It has been cheap to run, and reliable up to 200k miles, but since then everything has started to wear out, not unreasonably, I suppose, but it's made the last 55k a bit expensive. Sadly, then, I'll have to let it go, but I'm pleased to leave here a eulogy for a truly great car!

Robert Blair, Surrey, August 9th 2012

HDi 90 LX 4dr [AC]

• What it's like to drive 3/5
  • Average MPG 48 mpg

I should explain that I did not choose this car, it was kindly passed on to me by my father-in-law. This is a car which excels in many areas but fails miserably in others. Mine is a 51 plate with 68K. The car is at its best on a relaxed cruise. The ride quality is exceptional. The handling is much better than I had expected with very little body roll and good steering. The engine is very refined. The refinement is ruined however by the appalling cabin quality. As soon as you have solved one rattle or buzzing noise another appears and the wind noise at 70+mph is significant. The equipment levels are very generous. LX is one above entry level but there are a lot of toys included. The engine's performance is absolutely pathetic. 90bhp! I mean 90! In a 1.4 ton saloon, it is seriously underpowered most noticeably around town. It also has a far greater turbo-lag effect than other diesels I have driven. I have fitted a simple common-rail chip to up the power to 115bhp which makes it just about acceptable (an approach I can recommend). I have had a number of reliability issues, mostly small things in the cabin but a couple of major mechanical faults such as corrosion of ABS components. I can only recommend this car over the competition if you principally want a relaxed economical cruiser that is cheap to buy and well equipped. Otherwise, get a Mondeo as they are much more reliable, better all round performers and just as cheap a second hand buy.

Callum Cole, February 7th 2009

HDi 90 Rapier 4dr [AC]

• Average MPG 36 mpg

i owen a 02 rapier hdi and i hate it it has broke down more times than i can remember first the fuel sender unit went then the coms unit for the air bags went and at 76000miles i had to replace the camshaftsensor and timeing belt and camshaftpully which cost me Β£600 i will never buy another 406

mark gains, down, October 19th 2008

LX 4dr

• Average MPG 34 mpg

By far the best car I have owned. Overall reliable, extremely comfortable, fairly economical for a large bodied saloon in petrol form, a good dependable friend and understatedly goodlooking. A cracking alternative to a Vectra,Mondeo or other euro or japanese clone. Only niggling faults let this car down. If you crave good ride quality and a nice comfortable car to drive then do consider a 406. The higher spec models have sumptious comfort, the base LX model is good but the seats are less supportive. Also good range of engines and trim levels. I previously owned a Ford Granada which was superb and it was almost like driving an armchair, the Peugeot is the only car Ive driven that is similar (aside from Citroens which have exemplary ride quality) All in all definately worth considering, large boot, reasonable economy in petrol form but go for the HDi diesel series - that will be my next buy - have test driven a lot of more modern cars they arent quite as good in the ride quality department and dont quite impress as much as my 406; a car that will definately grow on you. Interiors are a bit shabby and dont fair that well, but all in all a good reliable friend who will just plod on without fuss.

Adam Lewis, South Noexistantshire, August 15th 2008

SRi 4dr [AC]

• Running costs 2/5
  • Average MPG 0 mpg

These cars are showing their age. The quality of the interiors are poor, the mechanicals are tempremental and worst of all the electronics can be a nightmare. Or so I'm told. My 2.2 Sri is a peach. Engine is really torquey, it certainly needs traction control (which it hasn't). Fit and finish could be better but these are old cars now and technology and manufacturing have moved on. Electronics are not as bad as some would make out. I paid Β£3k for mine last summer and it came with built in sat nav (useless but still a selling point), rain sensitive wipers, 6 cd multi, half leather, fuel comp, captains seats, climate, sunroof etc etc. You don't get all that in a 4 year old Mondeo LX! The 406 is an ok car, it has its faults but its no better or worse than a similar aged Primera, Mondeo or Vectra. Its plus point is its superb suspension. Well it was good enough for Kim Basinger some years ago in the TV ad!

Tim Marshall, February 21st 2008

HDi 110 LX 4dr [AC+SN]

• Average MPG 0 mpg

I bought my 406 new from Motorpoint Derby in August 2001. Since that date, I have done 133,000 miles which includes a daily return commute to work of 66 miles over the last 3 years. The car has never broken down and has proved to be very reliable, far more so than my wife's 307SW, which has proved to be a pig-in-the-poke in terms of reliability and expenditure on faults. Fuel economy is excellent: I have averaged 49 mpg since new, and frequently get 800 miles plus out of a full tank. The cam belt was replaced as per manufacturer's instructions at 90k, but original was found to be perfectly OK. Front cv joints also replaced. Cost of 12000 mile service at excellent local grease-monkey motor engineers is circa Β£150.

David Broadmeadow, Lincolnshire, December 18th 2007

HDi 110 GLX 4dr [AC+SN]

• Overall verdict 3/5
  • Average MPG 0 mpg

I had a 406 2.0 hdi 110 with 114k but the engine was replaced at 112k still that did'nt matter as the anti pollution fault code come up and yes that means a big bucks trip to your local friendly gangster..i mean dealer,they will relieve you of about Β£600 to change the pollution filter and refill it with this tree hugging fluid at Β£20 a litre! I was lucky enough to have the warning light go out itself so i parked the car up,sold it, and waited for the new owner to relieve me of this car before it went into limp home which is what happens if you ignore it. Besides the FAP problem these are very comfortable cars and sip the fuel but there are too many computers running the show now, so i have bought an older much more reliable, less complex, much faster,CHEAPER TO INSURE!! better built BMW 325 tds AND NO POXY FAP FILTER TO WORRY ABOUT!! If you really want a 406 then go for the 90bhp as they did'nt come with this money pit attached to the exhaust, and to be honest the 110bhp is slow anyway so you should not be able to notice much difference.

james mcgivern, beds, December 2nd 2007

HDi 136 SE 4dr [AC+SN]

• Overall verdict 5/5
  • Average MPG 0 mpg

I actually own the 2.2 SE Estate. It has covered 230k miles from new in my hands. In this time it has broken down twice, once through faulty servicing and once because it was grossly overdue a service. It returns 38mpg on a range of driving. It is comfortable, quiet and being the estate it swallows huge loads. I estimate that once I had 500kg in it, rather low at the back but it still allowed me to drive 400 miles and deliver the urgent kit. I tow a 1350kg caravan with it and 406 just gets on with it. On a wet field there is plenty of traction. My car gets a hard life between work and play and it copes well with everything thats thrown at it. The Sat Nav is rubbish, constantly breaking down, this is the only negative thing that I can say about the car. For a big estate, it handles very well and you can have fun on winding roads although this eats tyres, especially the back ones.

Peter Cotton, Wilts, May 27th 2007

TD LX 4dr

• Average MPG 0 mpg

I have a 1.9 TD LXS 1998 model, I’ve owned this car for 4 years now and have covered over 110,000 miles in this time, I bought the car on 29K. The car has only let me down once when a water pipe split (but hey, that’s nothing major) whenever something else has gone the car still drives. EG, fuel pump, did another 3K. Fan belt snapped, still done 300 miles with the heating on full blast. Turbo pipe went, still got me to work just a little slower. Very happy with this car, in fact now the car has over 140K on it I thought I would treat myself to a new one. So I’ve just got an 04 plate HDI 406. Lets hope I get another 4 years of happy motoring

Martin Wood, April 21st 2007

Executive 4dr [AC]

• What it's like to drive 3/5
  • Average MPG 0 mpg

I have only owned this car for three months and it has been nothing but trouble. First the passenger electric window stopped working, then the airbag light started to flash, all minor faults compared to the thing breaking down on the way to the garage it required a new crank sensor, clutch and bearings. Thinking I was over the worst it is not driving as smooth as it should be so I will be getting rid of it as soon as possible. This is a V reg car and when i received the new log book I noticed it has had 7 previous owners which worries me quite a lot.

Carl Nicholls, Teesside, April 17th 2007

HDi 110 GTX 4dr [AC+SN]

• Average MPG 0 mpg

I have had this car over 3 years and it has never let me down, the 110 HDI has bags of power and good fuel economy. The only parts it has had on are new tyres , new exhaust and front brake pads, it also had a new indicator stalk as the indicator started staying on Β£45 common fault. I do all the servicing myself and so dosen't cost me much as parts are now cheap for these cars It is the 110BHP model and I tow a caravan to France every summer, this car is a 2000 model and still out performs other cars when towing. I would certainly buy another.

mark saunders, February 24th 2007

GLX 4dr [AC]

• Overall verdict 1/5
  • Average MPG 0 mpg

I own this Peugeot 406 as my second car, and for towing the caravan, so I wouldn't use my MG ZR 160 so much. The 406 is the quietest, most comfortable car I have ever driven! Then there was an unusual rattle at 2500 rpm. I was told that when the exhaust was changed the wrong rubber was fitted on the front which caused the slight rattle - no probs, it's cheap. Then it wouldn't start - the battery was always flat so another was purchased - it was old anyway and it was winter! I went to tyre and exhaust franchises to have the wrong-fitting rubber on the downpipe checked, but they said the middle box had corrosion so I changed it, but the rattle was still there, said the exhaust fitter! The rest of the exhaust was new anyway so I just paid up and left. Then the car had a misfire, so the plugs were changed - it wouldn't rev. Then the family decided they didn't want to use our car at all, so I decided not to spend, (well, waste) more money on a ten-year-old car, so it was sent to meet its maker! It's a shame, though, because the bodywork was very good. Now I have bought a new Nissan Micra for the wife to learn to drive - I won't buy cars this old ever again! I could easily have spent more than the car was worth in a few months of ownership - the previous owner probably had (lesson learnt)!

Alan Paul Jenkins, cheshire, February 17th 2007

Rapier 4dr [AC]

• What it's like to drive 1/5
  • Average MPG 0 mpg

I owned the 1.8 Rapier variant for a year, and I hated it from the day I bought it. The main gripe was its sheer lack of power. Indeed, it was so bad I took it back to the dealer as I thought there was an engine fault. They just told me it was not a sports car, and what did I expect from a family saloon? Well, I certainly expected it to out-accelerate my Dad's 950 cc Ford Fiesta! The other issue I had was a clutch that felt so heavy and dead that my leg would be aching within ten minutes of setting off. Again the dealer fobbed me off saying it was just the way the cable ws routed, and they were all the same. This was the worst car I have ever owned, and I would not drive another one if it was given to me as a gift.

Ken Way, Worcestershire, January 8th 2007

TD GLX 4dr

• Average MPG 0 mpg

I've owned the 406 1.9TD GLX for the past 2 and half years now, and have done over 80,000 miles in it. I can honestly say that it is THE most reliable car I have had now, and has only needed new tyres and brake pads in all that time. Although as everybody says it is daunting at the pump when it gets to Β£65 (96.9p per litre)and still not full, but if I drive it well i will get in excess of 750 miles, and if I drive it not so well will still get around 500 miles from the tank. If you want a car that is reliable and will eat up the motorway miles, this is it.

Gavin Haley, Dorset, August 28th 2006

GLX 4dr [AC]

• Average MPG 0 mpg

I Live in Sri Lanka but my car, which is a 2001 GLX model, was originally used in Britain. Driving-wise, it is absolutely fabulous, almost perfectly adapted for the roads here. The quality of tarmac here is awful - about 75% of the roads resemble cart tracks but the 406 is composed and comfortable at all times (although the engine could do with more grunt). And it is very entertaining when you find the right road. It has done around 51,000 miles but still feels solid and robust. The only real complaints are fuel consumption and parts costs... still, I'd rank it as the best car I've ever had.

Sajiv Weerakoon, April 7th 2006

HDi 90 L 4dr [AC]

• Average MPG 0 mpg

My Peugeot 406 is on the whole a roomy and responsive car. I average 45mpg and after 12 months of ownership I have only had one part needing replacement as well as routine servicing. The only disadvantage I have found is that the power steering is heavy and the cigarette lighter is badly placed. The HDi engine is a joy, and even in the severe winter weather it has started first time. The boot is large and the seats are adequate with plenty of adjustment options. The CD player controls behind the wheel avoid any distractions whilst driving, and despite its overall length, I find it easy to park. When this car is up for replacement, I may consider another, or possibly a 607.

jason jesson, s yorks, April 7th 2006

GTX 4dr [AC]

• Average MPG 0 mpg

I bought this car over a year ago and it is the best car that I have ever driven. The drive and the comfort is excellent - mine is a 110 bhp so the speed is excellent too. However, recently odd things have started to creep in - the left hand indicators keeps coming on for no reason and is difficult to switch off, and the airbag light has been on for about two weeks and then went off, never to come back on again (when being checked nothing was wrong with it). Also, when the handbrake the is put on, the message comes up 'Brake Fluid Low' (and again it isn't) - I can't get this one to go away, though. The indicator is still a problem for me, so I will just have to go on driving and constantly watching for it to come on. Apparently these are very common problems on this car and I'm not the first and certainly won't be the last - just others watch out. Otherwise, it's the best car I have ever driven and I would still buy one again.

Claire Hicking, Lancs, March 23rd 2006

V6 Executive 4dr [AC+SN]

• Overall verdict 5/5
  • Average MPG 0 mpg

I bought an S-reg 406 recently, and I love every minute of it! In terms of conomy, most of my day-to-day driving is in town, and the fuel economy there isn't anything special - but then what did I expect from an automatic 3-.0-litre V6? It's been returning somewhere in the region of 23-25 mpg in town, but this rises to 28-30 mpg on the combined run. I haven't checked the motorway figures so far, but am hoping for around 30-35 mpg. In terms of driving, this car goes like stink! My first experience of the potency of its engine had me pinned firmly to the back of the seat - a figure of 6.9sec is quoted for the 0-60mph on this car, and I can believe it. The effortless manner in which it has Golf GTIs, BMW 320s and Subaru Imprezas for breakfast at the lights is an absolute pleasure. The car's styling and interior is flawless, too. It has beautiful lines on the outside, which are matched by appealing and comfortable leather seats and well-organised controls inside. This model has every little extra you could hope for, too. I especially appreciate the heated seats. There are few downsides. I've given it a 'three' for ownership purely on the basis of the fuel figures. Really, it's a dream to own, and you don't buy a V6 if you're looking for 50mpg. My auto 'box has a peculiar 'whirr' to it when warmed up - almost a grating noise. Other than that, I've absolutely no complaints. Oh, actually, a bulb has blown on the radio display, so you have to squint to see it...

Finlay Campbell, January 27th 2006

HDi 110 GTX 4dr [AC+SN]

• Average MPG 0 mpg

If you are looking to buy, then I would highly reccomend buying a Peugeot 406 HDi. Peugeot told me that the 110bhp engine is more economical than the 90bhp model. So I went for the 110bhp version and I had the computer software upgraded by a third party from 110 bhp to 140 bhp, yet still gaining more fuel efficiency. The car now accelerates very quickly indeed, and does impress my passengers. The original 110 was averaging 59mpg at 65mph; I now get nearly 70mpg. The torque is amazing and you can zip around town in fourth gear without changing- even going round roundabouts I don't usually change lower than 3rd. My 406 is the 2001 GTX estate and the comforts of the GTX is amazing - electric seats and windows all round, digital climate control, satellite-navigation, cruise control and more. It's a world of its own!

David Surman, Cheshire, January 1st 2006

TD LX 4dr

• Average MPG 0 mpg

Just purchase a 1996 1.9LX TD and its the best driving car I have ever been in. Mechanically sound and very attractive. All I need is a decent set of genuine Peugoet alloy rims now (if your selling?) mccorkell@gmail.com ;)

Norman mccorkell, November 24th 2005