Renault Espace MPV Owner reviews

dCi Privilege 5dr

I echo what other owners have already said, in a showroom environment it looks good and actually drives nicely when it works. Sadly ownership reality has been plagued by massive problems which have ruined this car for me. After only 36k miles terminal turbo failure resulting in a new engine - luckily covered by an independent warranty, constant oil leaks from literally everywhere which no garage has ever managed to conquer (i don't blame the garages but the poor quality of the components), multiple injector problems, ecu problems, key reader failure, dash failure, heater control unit failure, oil cooler failure, fuse box failure, sunroof motor failure (stuck open - 250 miles from home - AA manually closed it for me). Never used a Renault main dealer for service so cant really comment on them, what I can say is obtaining parts is very much hit and miss - especially for factory order items which sometimes took a month or more to arrive I only had it 18 months, it aged me by 18 years, the missus refused to drive it as it was so horribly unreliable, ended up losing shed loads of cash and traded it for a used VW Touran - not as practical but I sleep easy at night now and don't have nightmares about house repossession due to garage bills!!

paul williams, April 7th 2013

dCi Expression 5dr

I bought this car in 2006. Driving it back from the dealers the fuel injector failed spraying a passing motorcyclist with oil! A few weeks later the clutch master cylinder went. Fortunately both were repaired under the 3 month warranty which came with the car. Just before Christmas the oil pressure warning light came on. I took it to a garage and they said that the oil pressure switch was faulty. This was replaced. Travelling to visit relatives 150 miles from home the oil pressure light came on again and eventually the car ground to a halt. When it was rescued and relayed to a garage I was presented with the news that the engine had seized irreparably and the cost of a new engine inc fitting would be approx Β£5,500. I read a lot of comments about the 2.2dci engine after this event and found many similiar incidences on the internet. I phoned Renault were not very sympathetic. I have told everyone I know to be aware of this fault and to think twice before buying a Renault with this engine. I have just sold the car that I paid Β£9,000 for in 2006 for Β£800 to the local garage and that was more than anyone else would pay!

Pete English, West Midlands, January 21st 2009

dCi Expression 5dr

Great concept very poorly executed. Reliability of engine has been atrocious. Renault don't care. Owned from new 65000 miles 4.5 years old and problems with turbo. plastic rocker cover/inlet manifold, EGR valve etc. My advice NEVER buy a renault until they offer unlimited 100,000 mile warranty then be prepared to throw your car away after that - for it will be worth nearly nothing. Which? Car customer satisfaction puts the Renault Espace bottom of a survey covering 90,000 models Here's the link http://www.which.co.uk/news/2008/06/french-cars-leaving-owners-unhappy-148995.jsp Does anyone know of an Espace without major problems with more than 100,000 miles on the clock - I think not.

charles stevens, kent, January 2nd 2009

dCi 140 Privilege 5dr Auto

I bought this car in september 2007. It had 60k on clock, had it around a month and starter went. Cost hundreds to fix. Fuel economy is not the best. I only get around 34.7 mpg on long journeys. Servicing costs usually round the Β£100 mark for filters, oil etc. It has been in the garage for the past 10 weeks first the oil cooler went that was Β£520 to fix then when i went to lift it smoke flyin out back of it... this was the turbo blew another Β£590 to fix and now the injetors faulty and manafold cracked so yet another Β£600 to fix!!! Nightmare it is wish id never bought it! Has been nothing only problems and parts are very expensive the three common problems that goes wrong with the espace happened me all at the same time so beware!

heather Kerr, armagh, December 13th 2008

16V RT-X 5dr

I will never ever EVER buy an Wspace or another Renault again. I bought this car from a reputable dealer with a years warranty. I bought the car when it was 6yrs old with 57k miles on the clock. When phoning the previous owner to find out it's history i was very shocked to what i was listening to. The car does not have its orig engine in it and also has a reconditioned gearbox in it. For a car with only 57k it doesn't say much for Renault! In the 2yrs i have owned it the problems are as follows: LCD Display. Engine management box(Β£879) Drive shaft. Engine mounts. 5th gear cog. Petrol cap cover. Front springs and a couple of minor things. This was not covered by warranty as they said it was wear and tear and not immediate defect. So, here i am stuck with a car that is costing me a fortune because i could not be bothered arguing with SCOTSURE again! Does anyone want to buy a 2.0ltr RTX???X plate.:-(

Steven Robertson, December 2nd 2008

16V The Race 5dr

Had this car for 3 years and love it. We are a family of just 2x adults, 1x child & a dog, but we have loads of room, its a great drive, its been reliable, comfortable and has plenty of gadgets. We upgraded from a Scenic after 4 years of great driving and I was a little unsure about the size of the Espace - I changed my mind quickly and fell in love with it! It is expensive to get repaired at a dealer's but go to a local garage - they get Renault parts from the dealer anyway, at about 2/3 of the price! Had to have the clutch slave cylinder replaced (local garage charged Β£340 - dealer wanted Β£800!) - shop around. Apart from that, we have only had to pay out for new tyres, oil and servicing. We went to France in August and it got us there comfortably, we got all our camping stuff in it easily and clocked up over 2,000 miles without any problems! I would recommend Renault, however, I do know people who have had one and had nothing but trouble! All I can say is make sure you have full service history, ensure any known problems are checked out before buying, go to a reputable dealer to buy it and get a warranty. I am getting a company car soon and am really finding it difficult to find something that is large enough for us (as we've been spoilt for space), which is robust but still looks good and is not going to cost the earth in company car tax!

J Gay, September 23rd 2008

dCi Privilege 5dr

Love Grand Espace is by far the nicest MPV to drive, especially with the variable speed PAS. It handles and rides well, doesn't roll through corners. The 2.2 DCi engine is powerful and torquey. I've driven 75000 miles in mine over 5 years. It's well equipped, comfortable and the glass roof is SO COOL. I use it mostly with 5 seats and carry a lot of equipment, and in this mode it certainly beats other MPVs for carrying capacity: seats very heavy to move though. Hate In year 1 it had 10 days off the road with clutch and parking brake problems (each led to an official recall). It then became relatively reliable and when its 3 year lease ran out I bought it. Problems since have included a cracked rocker cover (which Renault to their credit made a goodwill payment on), A/C failure and the notorious EGR valve failure which causes irregular running, power loss and can lead to turbo failure if not sorted properly. Search Parker's Forums or Honest John's Back Room and you will discover hundreds of customers complaining about EGR and related problems and of Renault garages' inability to correctly diagnose and repair them. I’ve been relatively lucky with only 2 instances of this problem (at 53000 miles and current) but some customers have spent four or five thousand pounds at dealerships trying to get sorted. It's a notorious issue that somehow Renault has managed to deny all responsibility for and it makes buying a car out of warranty (or even in) a very risky proposition.

Colin Rogal, September 9th 2008

dCi 140 Dynamique 5dr Auto

I agree with the two previous reviews. This is a stylish and practical car.For it's size it has good performance, excellent drive and MPG. The big dissapointment however, is the durability of the interior. The whole idea of it,is that it gets used by groups or for carrying loads,but everything marks so easily. The only problem that I had(and I have seen this on a previous review)was with the accelaration. It would be none existant then there would be a rush. The mechanic at Renault spent all day on it and the problem was a flap in the turbo had become sooted up and was sticking.It was great after he had cleaned it.Just a tip. All round I love the car and look forward to the next model.

Vincent Crane, Merseyside, September 1st 2008

dCi Authentique 5dr

I bought this car to replace a Zafira which didnt quite have enough room when carrying seven people. I have had an 04 plate 1.9 dci authentique (with dymamique pack) for about a year now and have covered approx 12000 miles. Pros: Fuel economy has been very good considering the size of this car. Driving position is very comfortable. Build quality seems to be good. Air vents in the car are very well placed and keep all passengers comfortable when the air con is running. The panoramic sunroof gives the interior a light and airy feel, even on a dull day. Servicing was a little more than my previous car but not bad. (Β£225 for standard service) When you remove the rear seats this car is basically a medium sized van. As such, transporting items of furniture and visits to Ikea are a breeze. Cons: One front tyre cost me Β£110 (double the cost of my previous car) Rear seats are very heavy and awkward to remove or change around. Electronic handbrake has seized on me once. Fuel indicator can be unreliable at lower levels. Rear view is not brilliant when carrying passengers in the rearmost seats. In summary, If I was buying this car again, I think it would be worth going for a slightly higher spec model. Definately one with cruise control.There are not enough storage spaces inside the car and the CD player is not the best quality but overall I like this car very much and do not regret my purchase.

Simon Giles, Hampshire, August 19th 2008

dCi Expression [Dynamique] 5dr

My car is coming up to three years old and have owned it since 5 months old. While the car has only covered 18,000 miles from new we use it pretty regularly and it is easy enough to drive and park (we do have reverse parking sensors which help). We have had no problems except a faulty ABS/ESP sensor which was cleared up by the supplying dealer in 24 hours. I was a little worried when Ileft the car parked at teh airport car park for three weeks while on holiday, but on my return it simply started straight away with no sticky hand brake. I have had no costs other than standard servicing, but the front tyres will need replacing soon. Overall it is the most practical car we have ever had. We have moved 2 large sofas which we managed to get into the back with the rear seats removed. I think we have over 2.4 metres of clearance in the back. It is good to drive for such a big car and suprisingly economical on a run. I managed 45mpg on a 200mile round trip one weekend. The large sunroof is great for the kids and the various seat arrangements mean we can keep the kids apart. Being a grand espace we have no issues with lack of luggage space. In summary it is a great car and being blsack with large alloys actually looks pretty cool for an MPV. Thoroughly recommended.

Mike Demetri, Wiltshire, August 13th 2008

Alize 5dr

Bought 2000 W reg (36000 miles) in 04 for Β£9000 from renault london west with a 1 year warranty.Whilst warranty was running it was fine.The car is a comfortable and smooth drive(except for passengers at the very back).Seats are very heavy and fiddly to take out and the clutch has left me with one calf muscle like Arnie.Reliability is suspect,i had to replace a slave cylinder(Β£1200),faulty central locking meant one door would'nt lock and you cannot lock it with the key,doors stick,bulbs in dash gone,fabric tears at seams on drivers and passenger seats,corroded wiring for rear lights,door tensioner snapped off,replaced rear engine mount,could'nt always select first gear,discs,pads and exhaust replaced as would expect on year but at a cost of over Β£1000, rear interior light fell out and needed replacing.Bits of cheap plastic trim continuosly falling off.I cannot remember all the work its had.Renault parts are not cheap.My small daughter stepped on stick that adjusts side mirrors and it broke off and fell inside door(cost to replace was Β£300!!)Glass for side mirrors is Β£70 a go so look on ebay for Β£10 cheap stick ons.AA parts and labour warranty and recovery service was used often..Been advised to get rid of it before engine and gearbox go and anything else!Avoid renaults and their electrics.I've just p/exed it(Β£1400) for an 05 sedona with a 3 year warranty(Β£7500).

Darren McKenzie, August 5th 2008

dCi Expression 5dr

I own a 4 year old Renault Espace, which is just out of warranty, it is not a bad car to drive, the seating is good but leaves no space for anything else, shopping etc.and it is not an easy task to get the children into the back seats. So we had to take the middle seat out of the second row. It is terrible for pulling away, totally gutless, but I have to say it is very good once you get moving. I was on the way to the garage for its service, when the car started smoking, the revs increased and the engine ran away, I had no control of the accelerator. I could not stop the car or turn the engine off, I just held my foot on the brake and the clutch as its speed increased. The car was filling up with smoke and my children were petrified. The engine then destroyed itself and eventully stopped. I called the AA who said we are very lucky that the car did not burst into flames. It will now cost us Β£6600, for a new engine to be fitted, plus we still owe Β£5000 bank loan for the car. This was supposed to be the first decent car we have ever had after runnning around for years in old ones, as we were after reliability. We can't afford to pay for the repair, so still have the loan to pay but no car. I won't be able to get my children back to school (we do not live within walking distance). I don't think I would ever get into a Renault again.

Stephanie Hazelden, Kent, August 1st 2008

T Expression 5dr

I think a degree of balance needs to be restored here. I have had the Espace 2.0T Privelege for coming up to 4 years now as a company car. It has been fantastic ! It's like travelling first class everytime you get in it. The 2.0T engine is responsive powerful smooth and not too thirsty. It handles superbly too. in fact the only criticism I have is of the seats - they're very comfortable, but getting them in and out is very awkward - I would have expected better from Renault considering they've been doing MPV's for longer than most. Reliability has been good - no better or worse than anything else I've owned/driven. Dealerships could be better - but then ame could be said of most dealerships. It comes to the end of it's 4 year lease in November and I have no choice but to take cash this time round - so I'll probably buy the Espace and run it for another coupl eof years - it'd too good just to let it go ! For every bad story I reckon there's a dozen good....

Rob Dalgleish, July 31st 2008

RT 7 seat 5dr Auto

I don't quite think this is the type we have but it is a T reg 2.0 litre and it is Automatic transmision. We got this car just after losing our V reg Renault Scenic at 94,000 miles when the cambelt went. We needed a car fast and found this on ebay. And i think the views that its not a very good car is rubbish! theres only 4 of us in the family and we didn't really need a 7 seater. But because we travel round the country alot with long drives it helps to have lots of room and the seats in the back are so comfy. the front of the car is nicely set out and the dash all packed away is great. it also has two zone heating which is great! This is so much better than the scenic and i recomend it to anyone thinking of buying a MPV. We also have had a zafira and they just feel so uncomfortable and cheap. GET AN ESPACE! We are now saving up for one of the new ones.

Mikey Jones, July 25th 2008

dCi Authentique 5dr

NEVER BUY THIS CAR! this is the worst car I have ever bought, I have spent more on this any other car I have bought. Every time there is a problem I get the same message, 'thats a problem with the Espace' - how can they get away with producing rubbish? First it was the EGR valve, then it is the turbo, then the dash lights fail, then the car won't start etc etc.

simon baddeley, July 25th 2008

T Expression [Dynamique] 5dr

Bought this car as have 4 kids. Have had for almost 3 1/2 years and it is a very comfortable good family car. Great for long trips, Aberdeen to France!! BUT... we always leave 7th (heavy)seat out so have luggage space. A roof box is an essential.Front brakes have a wobble, a warped disc was replaced under warranty, and now the sunroof mechanism has packed in. Have had ok service from the main dealer in Aberdeen (Evans Halshaw now), but the cost of fixing the sunroof will probably see me change ?Galaxy). I am lucky as we use 2 other cars for work, so I suspect as low mileage we have not had as many gremlins as could have. 29000 miles and we have had 2 new tyres, and getting 29-30mpg, not too bad as most journeys are short kid ferrying! This is a safe,stylish,comfortable family car, but only buy if you don't mind the uncertainty of French electrics, and you swap every 3 years so don't face out of warranty repair bills. I had hoped t keep for 5+ years, but too much of a gamble!

Alasdair Forbes, Aberdeenshire, June 14th 2008

dCi 140 Dynamique 5dr Auto

We chose the Renault Espace, having reviewed all of the large MPVs. We loved the way it drove and its level of comfort. We are now changing it for two reasons: 1. Reliability has been atrocious; 2. Fuel costs are very high. The car is comming to the end of its three-year warranty. During this time: The ABS and ESP unit had to be replaced; The turbo blew on us whilst towing our caravan down to France - causing a four-day delay en-route; It shed all of its oil whilst on route to holiday in Wales - causing the holiday to be abandoned whilst the car went home on the back of a recovery truck; One week after the oil problem supposedly being sorted, it did the same thing again, this time shooting out the dipstick, and squirting oil all over the engine compartment; * We started to get a whistle from the top of the windscreen at speeds above 60mph. It does between 23 and 24 mpg regardless of how we drive it, and whether it is towing a caravan or not. It's a great pity - this is a car we loved, and hoped to keep for a long time. Its reliability has turned it into a very expensive short-term ownership.

Alistair Green, Bedfordshire, April 23rd 2008

V6 Privilege 5dr Auto

Bought the Espace after parting with a Volvo V70 T5. Growing family but wanted a decent performance. So far so good with reliability ( touch wood very quickly!). Have owned a string of French company cars, all of which have fallen apart after 3 years. Sounds and goes like a NASCAR, unfortunately it has the same fuel consumption. Still, 26 mpg over a long haul with 5 aboard is not bad for what must be a 2 tonne vehicle. Seats are massively heavy to remove, but overall layout is good. If you want to move 5+ people over a week or so you will need a roofbox. Yes,heating and ventilation are a joke but build quality inside is OK. I have to say I have been very satisfied so far with the big Renault. A good weekend GTi scarer!

Matt Shelley, Surrey, April 21st 2008

dCi Privilege 5dr

After suffering a 2001 mercedes C200k which was rusting after 18months I went for a car to suit the family. Having had only a minor problem with the egr valve (serviced with 10/40 oil instead of the recommended 5/40) its been faultless. 4 1/2 years on and I am really very happy. Fuel consumption is 30-35mpg, services are every 2 years, tyres are a little pricey. Fantastic for the family (3 full car seats in the back with independant seat belts is great. Beats the new Galaxy / s-max hands down on quality! Carpets on the fords didnt even fit right and bits came off in my hands at the ford garage...oh boy! Would buy again.

Hamish Barrie, March 5th 2008

dCi Dynamique 5dr

Bought new in august 2007. I purchased this car for practical reasons, (why else) growing family, trips abroad etc. I test drove the new Galaxy, S-Max, Citroen, and Voyager. The Espace won us over for its great comfort (our previous car was a Volvo V70 - best seats going) easy handling, great vision, seemingly good quality materials and responsive engine. Everthing was great to begin with and our concerns for choosing a French car over over a Scandi or German seemed unfounded though we were disappointed with fuel consumption which was nowhere near the manufacturer's figures... dealer told us it will improve? However, after 12k miles the engine started causing problems - the turbo developed terrible lag, took a few seconds to kick in, affecting performance drastically and fule consumption. I took the car in for first service just before Christmas expecting everything to be put right. did the usual service bits but were unable to put right engine, had to order a part. car returned to dealer this week monday 14th jan, their original prognosis was wrong and they can't find the fault! THis does not give you much confidence in the car or the backup. been given a Renault Modus to drive around in and the car's now been at the dealer for four days and still no solution. Can I recommend the car? It's great car to drive, the family love it, though serious questions over reliablilty and running costs means I probably won't be investing in another Renault.

dan gordon, January 16th 2008