Renault Kangoo MPV Owner reviews

Authentique 5dr Auto

I have hired a Kangoo 1.6 Authentique Auto as a stop gap for two months. It is a wheelchair accessible version so it is probably more rattly and boomy than a normal one would be. It is a very practical vehicle; pretty basic spec which includes, though, air con and electric mirrors. It's old fashioned suspension soaks up the bumps and it sticks to the road like glue. The auto is a bit jerky but it has a fair turn of acceleration and cruises comfortably at 70 on dual carrigeways. the steering is nicely weighted, with a slight tendency to understeer at tight junctions. It has been fun to drive (much more so than the Mercedes A 150 I have been driving recently) but I would not buy one.

John Powell, Essex, September 24th 2008

dCi 80 Trekka 4x4 5dr

Owned it 4 years (optimist that I am I thought every problem would be the last). Only done 140.000 kilometres, about 84.000 miles. New instrument panel. 2 new indicator stalks. New wiper motor. New sunroof motor and mechanism. Never operated since repair because I don't trust it to close. New fuel injectors at 69.000 kilometres Stuck on rear brakes, 3 times. Three new ignition keys. Front jacking point failed due to poor welding. Annoying whine at 90kph, the ordinary road speed limit in France. The latest is new preheaters and fuel pump and ECU! Do not touch them with a barge pole! You have been warned.

Ray Wild, August 26th 2008

Authentique 5dr Auto

It just depends what you are looking for in a car. The Kangoo is a comfortable "van-like" vehicle. My wife really likes the ease of entry,Higher than the norm.,and its load carrying ability. The sliding rear doors are very useful.(not so the rear side windows in the doors,a pain to open and close) It is no way a "drivers car", rolls around when cornering,and has no "street cred",This has 20,000 miles on the clock,and has only had the drivers instrument unit replaced, (faulty). Suitable for drivers well over 6ft tall! Didn`t like it at all when we saw it on the forcourt,but it is easy to live with,and growing on me with its simplicity of use! Dennis.

Dennis Godfrey, North Wales, August 22nd 2008

16V Trekka 4x4 5dr

I bought this trekka 1.9 tdi 11 months ago. This week i am selling it. It was 5 yrs old when i found it at a garage in hereford, this branch has now closed. I had the foresight to take out a peugeot extended warrenty, and thank God i did. Since June last year it has been on/off the road for 7 months. I have driven a courtesy focus (very nice) more than I have driven the Trekka. The previous owner for 5 years drove up and down a rough farm track. This caused a need for 1. new prop shaft, 2.new track rods, 3. new half shafts, 4. new diff! It's also needed 4 new tyres due to uneven wear, new discs, pads and calipers; they rusted! 5. A new driver side window motor. I insisted it was fitted with a new cam belt, so touch wood that's ok. This week the steering has gone 'lumpy' and will need a new universal joint fitted by the trade when it's been put into the pipe line for some other poor sod to have this jinxed car. I was told never to buy a green car cos they're bad luck! Yes it's sage green. It's had more money spent on it than it's worth but luckily all under warrenty. My next car? I'm looking at a peugeot 307. Sally

sally allen, herefordshire, May 8th 2008

Authentique 5dr

I have been looking for a Kangoo for the past year. As an artist it has everything I need - space, places to paint from and low running costs. Every owner I spoke to loved their Kangoos. BEWARE if you are over 5 foot 10 though - the seats are very uncomfortable and only suitable if you are small. The design of the vehicle is wonderful but it is useless if the seats cannot be adjusted. I'm looking for a new car.

Louise Diggle, April 3rd 2008

dCi 80 Trekka 4x4 5dr

1.9dCi 4X4 Trekka Practical and very capable family car (van) but dont expect luxury or performance I have the Trekka version returning nearly 40mpg in the first 6 months of ownership. Loads of space and great access to carry lots of camping kit, tools, stuff. Very easy to keep clean with its basic interior inside. Off road it's very capable as long as you dont try anything silly. Sure footed in the snow and ice too is useful Parts can be dear if sourced from Renault dealership. I have replaced timing belt (Β£180) and drive bush (Β£300). Recommend to anyone

Dave Snoddy, April 2nd 2008

dCi 65 Authentique 5dr

Its my works van. i abuse it and on the whole its held up pretty well, although i'm someone who doesn't ever expect machinery to perform miricles of permanent-smooth-silent-problem-free-running. recently: it won't start properly. i'll have to warm up the coil 2 or 3 times to get the engine managment to "allow" me to start the engine. highly irritating i think you'll agree! in addition to this reversing sensors bleak seat giving me back ache and finnaly i'm currently typing in pain!, in turning into my driveway, managed to trap my finger between the back of the steering wheel, and the front of the fingertip audio controls!!!!!!! aside from this kango perfoms well on all aspects: not bad performance for what it is, (as i was saying about my outlook on engines) good MPG good lights practical holds road well, even with all the ton of gubbins refrigeration engineers require. not let me down yet (touch wood) regards steve

steve forster, March 12th 2008

dCi 80 Authentique 5dr

I use my Kangoo as a company work horse and have found it to be very reliable and economical. I bought mine with 44,000 miles on the clock at 18 months old. It is now 4 years old with 70,000 miles on the clock. During my ownership I have only had to replace the front disks and pads. Yes it is basic and the quality of the interior is not high, but it is very comfortable and long journeys are not a problem. The 1.5 DCI 80BHP engine is a great power unit and returns 50mpg and is very easy and smooth to drive. Interesting that another owner has the knocking from the suspension. I had this looked at when I first bought my Kangoo. The Renault dealer had the car for 3 days and changed just about everything but the knocking is still there. But 26,000 miles on and the tyres wear evenly, it has passed two MOT's and the noise is no worse so I just live with it.

Andy Bryant, Surrey, September 9th 2007

dCi 84 Venture 5dr

It was a toss-up between a Kangoo and a Berlingo. Knowing what I know now, I made the wrong choice. Faults include a rattling noise from the steering column, doors locking and unlocking whilst driving, emergency "serve" light coming on intermitently, squeaking noise from wheel. The rattling noise is still evident even after drive shaft replacement and new steering column replacement. Dealer tried to tell me that it was a "characteristic" of the Kangoo!!! I really do think that I have bought a pig in a poke, which is unfortunate because the overall design and its practical features really does suit my needs.

Vicky Anderson, Tyne and Wear, May 14th 2007

Authentique 5dr Auto

Further to my previous review, I ended up getting rid of my Kangoo after only having it for six months. The reason being that it developed a dangerous fault whereby it would accelerate when I took my foot off the accelorator to apply the brake, and whilst depressing the brake, would actually gain speed. This happened with not only me, but my husband and the garage mechanic driving it. When pulling up at a roundabout, it shot me out into the path of an on coming lorry. After extensive tests by Renault, they sumarised by saying it was a 'feature' of the vehicle !! I cancelled the contract. Interesting to note the Renault in France that would not stop and likewise gained speed upon braking, where the police had to clear the motorway until it ran out of fuel.

Gerry Ovington-Brown, Surrey, May 2nd 2007

RXE 5dr

This was the perfect car to drive a teenager with his full drum kit. I like quirky cars and am not bothered about style. I do like the small refinements included, such as remote locking and the steering-wheel radio control. However the downside has been the expensive repairs and unreliability. It has needed two clutches because of an oil leak. The ECU and numerous other electrical and computer faults. I would have another if I knew it would be reliable, but never again - sorry!

Diana Thomas, staffs, February 21st 2007

dCi 84 Expression 5dr

I used to have a 4x4 Pajero- 23 mpg. The Kangoo does 60mpg plus on long runs - it carries four lots of golf gear and luggage including the four players and I find the car to be the best I have had (which included an Escort, Corsa, Pajero, Focus, Accord, Beetle, Marina, Allegro, Cavalier, Sunny etc) When needed it is quick and, as a police officer, I can say that if driven correctly, it corners as well as any pratt in anything else - and I do it a lot cheaper - so who is the mug?

robert shackleton, bristol, January 21st 2005

dCi 80 Trekka 4x4 5dr

I think this is the only non-commercial car NOT to have carpets. Even non-commercial Land Rover Defenders have carpets. I see this as a bonus as you can go and buy fluffy matts. Very practical loads of space and everything is wipe clean we use ours off road twice a day and drive in wellies and it is easy to clean to go on holiday in. Carpet is nice but not when it is full of mud. Now it is run in it returns anaverage of just over 40mpg and long service intervals. The facelift models are 85bhp with different gearing often miss quoted as 80bhp so a small bonus. It is a shame other manufacturers have not exploited this market for practical cars.

Carl Smith, December 21st 2004