Studio Connect 3dr [Start Stop]

I bought this car because of the low repayments and free insurance for the first year. Overall, running costs are very low. Tax is Β£30 per year, fuel consumption is fine, and insuramce is very low. I like the looks of the car, the usb connection, quiet and smooth engine, smart alloys, and the handling. I don't like the build quality, paint chips, bumpy ride, trim rattles, lack of power (although the small engine is partly why this car is so cheap to run) I would recommend the Ka if you are on a tight budget but don't want a cheap-looking car like a Dacia.

James McCaffrey, March 9th 2015

i 3dr

Purchased a little W reg Ford KA to help my sister with her learning to drive as i wasn't allowing her near my new Fiat 500! Great looking little cars which are surprisingly roomy, the one I purchased was in need of a little tlc it's a great little runner to say it only gets used as a second car once or twice a week and done almost 100,000 miles! I'd recommend the KA and its a shame I haven't had it from new as it wouldn't be in the condition it is today with the scratches and a couple of dints. Highly recommend but be aware for rust as Ka's seem to rust quite badly to other makes at the same ages.

Ray Barton, June 21st 2013

i 3dr

I have a little Bottom range KA 05. Fantastic little car absolutely love it to bits. But unfortunately it also annoys the hell out of me. I always avoid motorways and use country roads - it is loads more fun with the sharp steering but the main reason is the noise, vibration and other roadusers when doing a long trip down the motorway. I find the ka really spacious for such as small car - managed to move out into a flat in one trip!. And i love parking, being able to pull into a parking space with a couple of metres notice is great - love taking the spaces from the big cars right infront of them cos they've had to reverse. It is such a pity that other road other users in a slightly bigger car gives you respect - i get carved up by everything and have little under the bonnet do do anything about it. I do get to laugh when i fill up though, i don't drive particulary slow - usual 60 - 70mph, my average combined MPG is about 45. (what car for some reason think i should be only able to get 42.2???) If you wont a good quality, cheap, city car or live in the country - this is the car for you. you will love it to bits although i'd advise on a high spec. If you want a car with more road presence or use motor ways try the sports ka but i won't recommend.

Christine Childs, Shropshire, July 9th 2012

Studio 3dr

I find the KA adequate for my needs, I do short journies and usually by myself. It is well equipped but there are some omissions. There is no rheostat for the panel lights and they are way too bright at night. The instrument panel is also so deeply set in the dash that one needs to use side lights to be able read it when it is a bit overcast. There is a useful lane change flasher which gives 3 flashes when the stalk is moved slightly - this is not enough and should be 5 or 6 IMO. There is no spare wheel and I am not prepared to rely on a pump and some goo so I spent Β£150 on a full size spare, a jack and a wheel brace. They fitted in the boot OK as there is a space for a full size spare. A rain-sensing screen would be more useful, to me, than MP3 connectivity. Heated screen is really useful. The heater warms up in about 2 miles and the air con is good; however, the air coming out of the dash vents is mostly fron the centre and very little from the ones that could be used to demist the 1/4 lights. I get about 50mpg in the Winter and 55 to 60 in the Summer. Routine servicing is easy with all filler caps and level checks easily accessible and visible. The seat adjustment is good and the steering wheel can be adjusted. With the rear seat backs folded forward it is possible to get a wheel chair in, easily. Road noise is high and the engine sounds "busy" at 70 on a motorway. Low tax, low insurance for me, and overall a satisfactory car for 2 people and their luggage.

nicholas Ireland, Lincs, January 12th 2012

Titanium 3dr

My decision to buy a Ka was based on the saving of Β£3000 I made by buying pre-reg, plus a trade-in which was Β£1000 more than I'd been offered by another local dealer. The spec of the Titanium is very good, with climate control and heated windscreen as well as alloys. It's a car with lots of adjustment for the seats, so you do get an ideal driving position. My last car, a Citroen C1, was diesel so the Ka's fuel consumption isn't as good, but the price of diesel is so high now that my annual mileage didn't really justify the extra cost. I've only had one problem with the Ka when the car died in my garage. I contacted the dealer who gave me the number for Ford Assist who sent an AA patrolman to sort out what turned out to be a loose battery connection. Fixed in five minutes, so the entire operation took well under an hour including travelling. Since then, it hasn't missed a beat. Although the Titanium spec is excellent, I might install a DAB radio when they become available for the Ka range. The car has a CD player which, to be honest, I rarely use. To sum up, the Ka is a well-built, well specced car that does all I need. OK, it's just a Fiat 500 with a blue oval badge, but had I gone for the Fiat I'd have paid a lot more for a similar spec.

Paul Phillips, Fife, January 1st 2012

Titanium 3dr [Start Stop]

Paul Phillips, Fife, January 1st 2012

Zetec 3dr [Start Stop]

I passed my test in June 2011, Needed a well built, reliable, cheap to own/run but nice quirky car. After looking at several options from Vauxhall, Renault and Fiat, I decided that the KA offered the best all round driving experience. Although the Blush paint was on the pricey, side I feel it adds character to the car. They are fairly exclusive, especially in the higher spec and pearlescent paint colours. The car is easy to drive, the clutch is light,the steering is direct, however the engine needs to be worked when accelerating, but the car is comfortable at any legal speed. There is minimal wind noise, and the supplied Michelin tyres are fantastic. I think the car is very girly, and suits a vibrant, outgoing, and unique personality. This is a massive step forward for Ford, who with the previous KA brought back the super-mini, but with the 2nd iteration have redefined the standard. In my experience, I have not seen or driven anything close to this. The cabin is well laid out, everything is where you'd expect it to be and the alloy wheels, that come with the Zetec trim, add that bit of extra flair that really finishes the car off well. The Blush metallic paint job is also very feminine, and really makes a statement. People often comment on how nice the car looks, and are very complimentary. Everyone who has been inside the car has said how spacious it is (for a small car) and how adequate the boot is. Overall, I feel the car is economical, practical and well made.

Charlotte Donaldson, Northants, September 17th 2011

Zetec 3dr

Charlotte Donaldson, Northants, September 17th 2011

i Collection [70] 3dr

I had this car as a courtesy while my Peg 206 was in 4 repair. I had the Ka for 2 weeks and loved every minute and I was very sad to give it back (especially when I got my car back after repairs on electrical faults and then broke down the same day!) It was very good on the fuel as long as you didn't take the revs over 2000revs. If I changed at 2000revs I got 50mpg! If I put my foot down and changed at 3000revs I got between 35-40 mpg! The road noise got a bit too much after a while and it was very rattly but the ride and the fact that it was fun to drive more than made up for that.It was a dream to park. The boot's tiny but you can comfortably fit three passengers in. It handled really well (5 stars for handling.) For such a basic car and especially when you can get a good one for such a cheap price I think they're a very good buy. I would've bought one to replace my 206 but it was too small for me. The one negative I have though is the fact that they rust really easily. When I was looking for my 1st car I looked at ones that were 1 - 2 yrs old and they had huge rust bubbles all along the sills. I have a friend with an 02 reg Ka and hers is rusting around the fuel cap, boot lock and along the sills. My Pug was 10 years old and had not one speck of rust on it. Apart from that it's a wonderful little car and they have a good reliable reputation and I'd recommend it to anyone for a 1st car or if you just want a run around. LOVED IT!

Abbi Pitt, January 24th 2009

i Style [70] 3dr

I bought my KA about a year ago on a 54 plate and I cant fault it at all! The metallic black paintwork looks great and the colour coded bumpers look so much better than the standard unpainted ones. Image wise as a 19 year old lad i do get a bit of stick - as its seen as a girly car but i dont care as i think its very stylish and tell people not to knock it till theyve tried it!! The interior is very basic but it has everything i need and the seats are comfortable(ish) but the lack of support is felt on longer journeys. Theres a lots more space than you would imagine and i've never had a problem fitting things in! Its a brilliant drive i love driving it out on the country roads the handling is superb and the ride is not bad either for such a short wheelbase. The 1.3 engine is nippier than it is given credit for and i live in valley and it has no problem going up the steep hills. Its not as economical as you would expect for a small car but i do a lot of short journeys. I have not had to spend a penny except for the MOT and it runs perfectly Overall i absolutley love my KA and i am disappointed to read the negative reviews as it is brilliant! I would recommend it to all as a first car - guys and girls and to anyone who needs a cheap but very cheerful little runabout or second family car. I would not hesitate to have another one and infact i am soon to be selling it and upgrading to the sportka!

Jamie Proctor, Lancs, January 14th 2009

Zetec 3dr [Start Stop]

I drove the first new ka that my local dealer had just registered. Nicely finished but I could easily have been in the Panda hire car that I used in Ireland recently. Having owned and been very pleased with three original Kas I was dissapointed that the new Ka drove like any average small car ( Getz,fox,C1,206,etc) that are available for nearly Β£3000 less than the Ka.(Β£10000 in metalic paint.)Having also used a New Fiesta for a day recently I would commend anyone to get a Fiesta discounted for the same price.The Fiesta feels like a big car but offers far better value for money.

Nigel Pridham, Dorset, December 25th 2008

Zetec 3dr

Nigel Pridham, Dorset, December 25th 2008

i Style [70] 3dr [Climate]

I bought a new '08 Ford Ka 1.3 Style Climate about 4 months ago. You can get an '07 or '08 reg 1.3 Style Climate for a very good price, and you'll have air conditioning, electric mirrors, CD/Radio with AUX port (for your iPod), and heated windows front and back. Gear changes are very flexible and smooth -- but the transmission on this model is different to the Fiesta, so buyers may want to test drive both. The interior styling in these models is slightly dated, as Ford did not change it for more than a decade. However, everything is in reach and easy to use. The equipment you get will vary with model - not even all Style Climates are the same. Mine does not have a passenger airbag (only driver), front fog lights and there's no rev counter. On newer models, the engine runs quietly but is noisier on the motorway. This car was designed for the city. WhatCar say the boot is small -- My weekly shop fits in with no problem. Back seats fold down easily if you need to fit suitcases in. The overall ride is smooth, until you come across a bumpy road because of its overall size and small wheelbase. For a basic cheap low-end city car, the suspension is good. Get a Focus or other large car if you want a smoother ride. MPG is good on all models. It's nippy and great in the city. Averages around 45 MPG, but you may get 50 depending on your driving style.

Joshua Coventry, November 3rd 2008

i Style 3dr

I have owned my KA for 5 years and it has never put a foot wrong not counting issues raised during servicing. It is an good choice as a first car and as something to potter around towns and villages. Long motorway driving can be a bit painful as the power is lagging and the interior is a little cheap although nicely laid out. For the economically minded, I have had my MPG up to 50 but the average is around 45 due to mainly motorway driving. Low insurance & road tax will appeal. Being a bloke in his late 20s, owning a KA is not good for your street cred; I have received a lot of stick for hanging onto mine. I am not really bothered as I still find it a responsive and fun ride which doesn’t cost me an arm and a leg (plus any of my friends who have driven mine love the handling and response). Practicality wise, there is a fair amount of room in the back but I wouldn’t have passengers in there for a long journey and the boot is small if you are carrying, say, two suitcases. It’s fine for food shopping and you shouldn’t run into too many problems unless you are buying huge products like TVs. As for servicing, it isn’t expensive, though I am finding more of the car is running into problems, last time the front suspension needed to be changed which wasn’t a huge cost but one I could have done without. I can highly recommend mine, a 2003 1.3 Ka Style, but do think the Collection is the best of the bunch with electric windows, mirrors and CD player.

Andrew Lamb, West Midlands, August 23rd 2008

i Style 3dr

I had a Ka as a courtesy car for 4 days. At first I disliked it but gradually warmed to it as I appreciated the go-kart handling and surprising performance. Rather noisy with a pathetic stereo and not as economic as I expected. Typical excellent Ford gearchange. Bearing in mind it is now a little long in the tooth and about to be replaced with a Fiat 500 based range, not bad as a cheap secondhand runabout.

Alan Marriott, Worcs, August 15th 2008

i Sportka SE 3dr

I owned a Sportka SE for 2 years from new. I have to say that it was brilliant fun to drive and took corners like a go kart and I never got tired of B road driving. I am reliably informed that it wasn't the best passenger experience though due to the sports suspension and the direct steering. It could maintain motorway speeds with little effort although at highter speeds it did get a bit noisey. I used to do a lot of motorway driving in it and still got 33 mpg of it. I was recently hit from behind while stationary by a car doing 60mph and although the car is a write off I walked away with just whiplash. I think for a small car it performed remarkably well and I shall miss driving it.

Martin Briggs, August 8th 2008

i Collection [70] 3dr

My KA was a 03/03 Collection, with just 12,000 miles when i bought it from in November 2007. I loved this little KA, so nippy to drive, easy to park, comfortable for the 2 in the front, & with enough room for 4 for the occasional time I required it. Unfortunately the problems started the day after I bought it. The temperature light started to come on on the dash for no reason, then the battery light started to do the same. The dealer insisted there was nothing wrong with the car that a 'good run' wouldn't fix. To cut a very long story short, after a very frightening breakdown on the M5, the problem turned out to be corrosion of the Powertrain Control Module where it connects to the wiring loom, due to water ingress. Repair cost 1,800 +. Also catalytic converter probably damaged due to fault, another 700+. I was unpleasantly surprised at the cost of these repairs. Six months of badgering the dealership, not being able to use the car, & the stress of preparing for a court case, at the 11th hour dealer agreed to have the car back. That day it was on their website for sale!!!. So, if you're buying a pale green metallic, Ford KA with just over 14,000 miles on the clock - BEWARE - check that the PCM, wiring loom & catalytic converter are all OK. Would have loved another KA, but can't take the risk of going through this nightmare again.

Liz Whieldon, August 6th 2008

i Zetec [70] 3dr [Climate]

I have just bought my Ka brand new as Ford were offering such a good discount due to the new model coming out. The extras that come with the Zetec, like the alloys and spoiler, do add to the visual appeal, this is a little car brimming with personality! Having seen complaints about the size of the cabin, I must say that I am not dissappointed as that is what I expected! The drive so far is great, especially the steering, and I have no complaints about the cabin quality. Also, the seats are very comfortable, I have driven a new Fiat Panda and although I liked the car, the interior was nowhere near as good as the Ka. I have only rated it 3 out of 5 on ownership as the tax (Band D) and the petrol consumption are a little high for this type of car. I just hope it gives me a few years of reasonable reliability. But so far, so good!

Elizabeth Hiley, July 30th 2008

i 3dr

Poor. Not as good as the mark 4 and 5 Fiesta's its based on - and they were never great. If you get the versions with the older 1.3 endura engine you wont have any major problems (the engine is just very old). Performance wont blow you away, its gutsy, but will run out of puff up hill. A bit noisey at speed. Cabin is spacious in the front but very poor in the rear and feels a little cheap feeling and dated. The only problem you WILL have is rust. Like all Fords they rot. Check around the bottom of rear quarter panels/door area, petrol cap, behind rubber door seals, behind the bumpers and around the inside of the boot surround. Really showing its age now.

Andrew Hood, July 13th 2008

i 3dr

I've had my 52 reg Ka for about three months now and I love it! It's very quick to move off, and gets up to 70mph easily. It slows down a bit on uphill roads, but it's not a big problem. It's easy to drive, and it likes being thrown into bends. It feels really safe and stable when it corners. The brake pedal takes a bit of getting used to as you have to press it harder than you'd expect, but the brakes are good and the car stops dead when you want it to. Fuel economy is ok - I get about 45mpg, doing mainly short journeys. It hasn't needed any parts or servicing yet. It's got plenty of room for shopping in it's boot, there are lots of little storage spaces inside, and it's roomy for passengers - my 6ft2 brother fits in easily. All the controls are well placed. The equipment is only basic, but it's got everything you need if you just want a little first car or runabout.

Emma Ellis, May 20th 2008