Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Owner reviews

Sport 5dr

Rugged, dependable workhorse with sufficient creature comforts to enable lengthy journeys in comfort. The diesel engine is noisy but extremely reliable with bags of torque and when mated to the auto box it makes towing an effortless pleasure. On our recent 500 mile journey from the UK to our home in France the Jeep averaged exactly 30.1 mpg with a mixed bag of motorway and country driving. It will sit at 75 - 80 MPH all day long with plenty of overtaking acceleration in reserve, and at these speeds engine noise is hardly noticeable. I previously owned two troublesome low mileage nearly new Land Rover Discoverys II's - a V8 and a TD5, the Jeep is just a capable on and off road and has proved to be mechanicaly far superior. My first Cherokee 2.5 diesel was sold with 167,000 miles of trouble free motoring and with plenty left, this one feels as though it will easily compare. The Cherokee is still a 4X4 and cannot compare to a car in terms of driveabilty and economy, but as a 4X4 required to do a days work there are few others to rival it. They are an absolute steal to buy at the moment, cost of car tax has deterred the school run buyers from ownership - go grab a great motor.

Bruce Roberts, Haute Vienne, November 7th 2014

CRD Limited 5dr

Well where do I begin? I have just moved to Michigan in the US from the UK and got this car as a company car. It's called a Jeep Liberty here and only comes as a 3.7L petrol, typical! The vehicle is great as a 4x4 and handles everything that a Michigan winter could throw at it, such as 3 feet of snow and -28C. I have been impressed by it's stabilty control on ice. The car is very basic inside and very plasticy. There is an annoying handle that sticks out infront of the front passenger seat which my wife hates as she keeps banging here knees. The footwell in the front is a bit narrow and takes some getting used to. I've got to be fair though, the visibility is outstanding and you really sit up nice and high. The boot is large and I love the glass 'quick' lift tail (means not opening the whole hatch). I have to say the hideaway for muddy clothes in the boot is useless and just a gimmick as you can't fit anything in it. The car does come with isofix which is great for the kids carseats and they can see out very well, that being said they do prefer our other car, a Chrysler Grand Voyager! By all means get one if you are off roading or live in the highlands where it is really snowy, but if it's just a 4x4 you are looking for, there are more comfortable SUVs out there. So far done 10K miles and no issues at all, except it drinks fuel, well it would being a 3.7L!! Glad they have it in diesel in the UK. Good luck

Peter Headridge, Michigan, February 18th 2009

TD Limited 5dr

i have owned jeep cherokee 2.5 td 1997-ish in 2007/12. my car looks and drives not bad, but i have a great problem-it is difficult to start engine, even in summer time when it is 25-35 degree of C*. in winter time, when it is cold-abaut -5--+5,some times i need 5-7 minute to start engine.if i am in high mountens(2500 m.up of sea level)in winter time,it is impossible to start engine trying whole day.unfortunatelly there is not authorized(special) service of JEEP in Georgia.if someone know, please give me some advice what i have to check or change. thanks.

shalva tsintskaladze, August 8th 2008

Limited 5dr Auto

I have only just bought my jeep 4.0 limited auto a few months back. Once you get to know this car it is very fun.I have been off roading in it and it works very well. Alot of people were saying that it would get stuck but it does not. This is probably because of the amount of power it has. But as well as off road on road it is a very good car too i have used it for pulling trailers and boats and you dont notice it is pulling them. I have also found the fuel consumption is not as bad as i thought it would be i have not had any problems with it what so ever apart from a battery change over..

Alex Fullwood, August 2nd 2008

Orvis 5dr Auto

This is my second Jeep, I upgraded from a 2.4 sport to a 4.0 orvis, I enjoyed the sport and couldn't really fault it, i wanted to keep the same rugged shape but wanted a newer model so i went from a 95'Sport to a 2000 Orvis, we all know that if you buy a larger vehicle the running costs are going to be high, so you already have an idea what to expect, but i wouldn't consider it over the top. I earn less than 18000 per year but still use it every day, and can still afford my annual holidays. Its comfortable, it does everything i ask of it, and apart from one flat battery i have never had a problem, i love it.

graham upton, leicestershire, May 27th 2008

CRD Limited 5dr

This vehicle is a second hand bargain 4x4. It looks great and pulls strongly. Its also the right size. A Discovery is too big and the Freelander looks like a duck. As for the smaller Japanese 4x4's they all driven by women e.g. RAV 4, Honda CRV, Mitzubushi Pinan, Suzukis etc. I really don't care if they have better road manner's or fuel economy (who buys a brick on wheels for fuel economy anyway?). Good honest handsome 4x4 vehicle. Get one at the right price and you won't be dissapointed.

David Wright, Aberdeenshire, March 13th 2008

TD Limited 5dr

I bought this 1995 Jeep for Β£700 from a friend's dad and its been great, offroading is good, seats are comfortable and the air con does its job well. I plan to keep this car till i can see through the floor! On the other hand the fuel consumption isnt too bad until you try towing a large trailer or horse box, then it really gobbles it!! Overall i am pleased with what i have :o)

Matthew Blanchard, East Yorkshire, January 25th 2008

5dr

Hello , I have owned a 2.5 jeep cherokee ( 2000 x.reg ) for 4 years now , I have never really had any major probelms other than regular servicing etc !! It likes abit of fuel but yeh !! you know about that when you buy one so expect it . Excellent off road can live with it on road . Excellent value for money buy a good example and enjoy!

mark wholehouse, lancs, January 8th 2008

CRD Limited 5dr Auto

I have owned my Jeep from 9,000 miles and six months old, It has been a good experience. My jeep has not been trouble free but the dealer i use 'stratstones in weybridge' is fantastic exactly what i expect offering polite and effiecient service, they are exceptionally helpful. They are expensive but then it is a jeep and what do you expect its a Β£20,000+ vehicle, the only thing that came as a shock was the servicing which is a lot higher than normal at Β£600 per year and Β£1000+ for a main service. The jeep drives very well is comfortable and mechanically exceptionally reliable just little things go like lights or motors but they are dispensable. I am very happy with jeep and would buy another one they are excellent cars, everyone seems to like it and it seems to be well built enough to go on for a while. If i was to buy another one though i would buy a bigger one

Gary Camburn, middx, October 30th 2007

CRD Sport 5dr

Iam on he brink of selling my 2002 Jeep Cherokee 2.5l diesel and ght i'd offer my opinions based on 3 years of ownership. Overall, ts not ben a bad car. It has always beenmechanically reliable sarting forst time ery time. The pricipl probem beingelectrical issues. The power operated retractable mirrors are weak to say the least and after its fourth replacement Jeep finally admitted the motor is inadequate. I have also has niggles wih the interior lights switching on and off whilst driving. None of these problems have been satisfactorly sorted out by my dealer. All in all these minor problems have taken the edge off ownership. Strangely my relatives have a Grand Cherokee and have suffered very similar electrical problems. Its off road qualities are adequate but nothing like as good the Isuzu Trooper it replaced. Space is fairly good and the driving position is comfortble. Generally it feels solid and the body fairly well put together. I'm selling my Jeep for a small hatchback principally because I no longer need a 4x4. If it were another 4x4 I was after i'd look elsewhere. Whilst Jeeps are cheap to buy they don't have the longevity of some other makes or the relability you'd find with a BMW or Mecedes Benz.

Jan Powell, Lincolnshire, October 21st 2007

CRD Limited 5dr Auto

The Jeep Cherokee is of a quality build,trim and interior finish and quality is of a high standard,the engine is a little noisy around town but cruising level is good,driving position is exellent and handling for a4x4 is good having compared it to the Land Rover Freelander Towing is again exellent The vehicle is designed for a specific market and meets all the needs for that spec and excels in some

Martyn Savage, Warwickshire, September 9th 2007

Sport 5dr

I own a 1995 Cherokee Sport 2.5 TD that I bought for Β£1500 - the very bottom of the price range. I think your review is very balanced but I have to say I rate the Jeep very highly. There is absolutely no corrosion on mine, although the laquer has started to lift in small patches - I can't say the same for Range Rovers of the same age. The engine is from VM Italy and is same as fitted to the Frontera, so my local car shop has the filters in stock. The interior is agricultural - it has organ stops to operate the headlights, but all the plastics and interior are in one piece, except for a little vinyl crack on the driver's seat. If you're looking for a cheap 4x4, you could do a lot worse for your money - I'd be looking at a 1990-ish Surf or Trooper for the same money. My kids love it and think it's cool, which is no bad thing when you're driving bangers.

Ian Banister, Lancs, July 20th 2007

Limited 5dr Auto

Having read all the information on this vehicle, I bought a 1995 model to tow a boat and trailer. It's the 4 litre Limited High output. Very impressive. Bags of power and very comprehensive specification. Compared other 4X4's it will do anything a Land Rover will do in much more comfort. In addition, as a second hand vehicle,better value

Geoff McEwen, Essex, July 5th 2007

TD Sport 5dr

I have a 1997 2.5TD Sport. I noticed that it began to struggle under load normally 1st & 2nd gear and on occasion the engine would shut down without warning! I put the car into a Jeep dealer to find out what the problem was and to my complete shock it was the fuel pump that is on the right hand side of the engine. The cost to replace this part is almost Β£2500.00 + VAT!!!!!!!!!! As you can guess I was shocked at the cost of the part. The pump can be repared but not by a Jeep Dealer as they will only replace the complete unit. After some digging I have found out that this problem is becoming more common and has taken a long time for it to come out. This is because the Jeep Cherokee was not sold in huge Fleet numbers and has taken a while for privatly owned cars to get to the mileage where the fault begins to occur. This problem can occur in cars with a mileage as low as 75k if the car is mainly used in and around town or 150k if it is mainly used on the motorway.

john scott, May 4th 2007

CRD Limited 5dr Auto

I purchased a brand new 2.8 CRD Auto Ltd back in September 2004 and unfortunately it has not been a completely satisfying experience. Initially I test drove both the Auto and Manual versions and decided on the Auto as it seemed an easier option for towing. Although the initial outlay for this vehicle was competitive servicing is a completely different issue and the dealer network and back up customer service could only be rated as poor with very few facilities or loan cars available so be prepared for a long wait in one of there service centres. With various re-calls on this model including oil pumps, brakes etc etc it was almost spending more time β€œoff road” than β€œon road” without ever seeing any of the green stuff. Another staggering surprise for me was the fuel consumption as I was averaging 20mpg at a push which is a long way off the advertised figures. Needless to say I have now part exchanged the Jeep for something more economical but again it’s a massive hit to the wallet. The cost new was Β£20k for the LTD version and Jeep offered me Β£8500p/x for a 2 year old 4x4 with 35k on the clock! And that price was as they quoted β€œcompetitive”. You have been warned!

Karl Walsh, March 8th 2007

Limited 5dr Auto

Great drive, nearly car like in comparison to a disco or shogun. Comfy seats for long journeys, but if youve got a bad back it would be too soft. Running costs are expensive if you use maindealers. I used US imported stuff - about 1/2 price of UK prices. Had lots of problems with leaks around windows and boot. Apparently Im not the only one. Mine was gas converted thank God and I got equivolent of 35mpg. BUT - off road it was amazing. wow!

Paul Jenkins, December 8th 2006

V6 Limited 5dr Auto

I have owned seven of the new-style Cherokee since their launch in 2001. This says everything about my opinion of this car. I tried Land Rover, Nissan, and Mitsubishi, but keep coming back to Jeep. It does exactly what I want and is very reliable. My only niggle is the dealership in Cardiff. I tried all three engines but keep coming back to the 3.7 V6 - what fun. It's thirsty in town but manages over 23mpg on the motorway. I love the Jeep, it's good value for your money.

Wayne Morris, August 15th 2006

TD Sport 5dr

For two years now, myself and my younger brother have been shifted around Scotland in our parents' 1999 Jeep Cherokee TD. There has been no faults with our Jeep yet, only two suspicious dead batteries since Christmas 2005. For the first, we replaced the battery, and the second time we recharged it(which took ages). The downfalls of the Jeep include the lack of legroom in the rear, boot space, fuel economy, handling in the wet, and the rear wheel being situated on the passenger-side window in the boot, which blocks the view out of that window, resulting in my mum reversing into a lamp post just days after we had the Jeep resprayed! On long journeys, the Jeep is comfortable enough, gliding over the rough roads up here in Scotland. Also, the four-wheel-drive could not have been better, when we were trapped in our house by the freak snow blizzards this year. The Jeep has now 70,000 miles on the clock and is still going strong, apart from the recent flat battery which left the Jeep unable to leave the drive. Overall, the Jeep is a great family 4x4, which still turns heads on the daily school run.

Doogie Que, Lanarkshire, July 27th 2006

CRD Sport 5dr

Bought this car new 4 years ago(reviewed it 2 years ago)and have done 75k miles. Water pump failed & replaced(warranty) at 60k miles, timing belt renewed at 60k, brake discs replaced at 75k. Getting 35k out of tyres. Was going to change it, but it's going so well I don't see the point - every day the engine gets better. Can't understand the low ratings. This is a reliable, practical, comfortable vehicle, built to give years of service. 100% recommended.

ken gray, Tyrone, July 25th 2006

V6 Extreme Sport 5dr Auto

I've owned this 2003 model for two years now, and must say it's the best 4 x 4 I've driven (out of Landrover Freelander, Vauxhall Frontera and BMW X3). I like the quality of the interior, this special edition model has half leather, and special detailing such as grey metallic painted front grille, bumpers and wheel arches which looks great with the silver coachwork. I have never had a problem with this car and has been extremely reliable. It's used on country lanes, urban driving and motorways, and although it's buffered a bit on windy days on the motorway, I've found it to be an extremely smooth and comfortable ride. The automatic gearbox is smooth, although sometimes at the higher end of the scale, could drop down sooner when going slightly uphill, but overall it's quite pokey when necessary and I'm pleased with it's performance. Obviously with any petrol 4 x 4, petrol consumption is an issue, and according to the trip computer it does 14 mpg average, but I don't find this to be accurate. I've achieved 20+ on long motorway journeys easily. Overall then a great fun to drive car, very practical with lots of space both in the boot and in the car itself, with three full rear seat belts and comfortable and safe airbagged surroundings, I'm more than happy to drive my kids around in this, in fact, I enjoy it!

Sally Smith, Oxfordshire, July 19th 2006