Peugeot 407 Coupe Owner reviews

S 2dr

I just bought a 2006 model in black with 91k miles on the clock for a shade over Β£2000. I considered the diesel but it didn't make financial sense as much more expensive and we don't do many miles. This car replaces an Alfa 156 Twin Spark which we loved - but this is in a different league for quality and the interior doesn't show any signs of wear anywhere. It has sports cloth and fewer toys than the SE versions which suits me fine, less to go wrong! Driving feels special and the cabin is almost silent, with an excellent stereo, airbags all round (NCAP 5 Star) and if you were to ride in one blindfold you would believe you were in something north of Β£20k, let alone Β£2k. Performance off the line isn't special, but it has plenty of mid range grunt for what is a very heavy car. Road-holding is extraordinary, the equal of the Alfa but far smoother and the miles are despatched effortlessly. There is masses of space in the back, more than my Citroen C5 in fact, and with tilt and slide seats it is easy to get into the back, even me with my gammy hip. For the same money we could have bought a 14 year old BMW coupe, but why would you? This is much nicer to drive and half the age. The best thing is you don't see many on the road. This is because they were Β£30k new (not surprising given they were built on a separate line in Brittany running at half the speed to up the quality) but after loosing Β£4k a year the price it has reached banger money - but what a banger!

Rick Hough, Cheshire, August 8th 2013

HDi Sport 2dr

I recently replaced my very reliable old shape 406 petrol Coupe with the 407 diesel, and absolutely love it! I have really come to appreciate the new exterior, despite it's quirkiness. Thankfully not a saloon drone shape, either. The quietness is first class - no road or engine noise at all, making for a very refined ride, and the bells and whistles list is enormous, making me a very happy boy. The missus loves the dual climate control, which is standard. There were a couple of niggles getting used to the auto wipers and cruise, but the bluetooth, stereo, parking sensors, and info display, to name but a few gadgets, are great. Overall it really makes me smile when I'm leaving the house. I bought a nearly new bargain, with low miles, so the depreciation has been sorted already, an extended warranty, and the mpg is excellent - 51 from a mix of some town combined with motorway driving. Everone who has been in the car has commented on the quality. It really is awesome!

Mark Lane, S Yorks, February 16th 2009

HDi Bellagio 2dr

This car is brilliant! Why would anyone spend twice the money on a BMW 3 series coupe or an Audi TT? It is good looking, well put together and for such a large car suprisingly quick, yet it stll does over 40 MPG despite some hard driving. If you want a stylish, roomy and economical car get yourself one of these before they stop making them!

Andrew Smith, Notts, February 10th 2009

V6 HDi GT 2dr Tip Auto

I obtained mine from one of the Car Supermarkets, Β£14k with 8k on the clock which was a bargain as the list price then was Β£28k. The car now has 50k on the clock and it has been effortless driving except with town roundabouts and pulling out of a junction and pointing up hill, there is nothing you can do about that big nose! On the open roads it amazes me that I can achieve over 40 mpg, though town driving brings it down. There is absolutley nothing missing from the spec and although I have had it 18 months I still find things to press that I didn't know about. Maybe one day I will get around to reading the manual. Didn't even know it had headlamp washers for about 3 months. It does get through the front tyres at a rate I have to change the fronts every 25k though my backs still have some tread left. I normally end up changing tyres all at the same time. The really great feeling is when people come up to you and say waht a great looking car it is, what is it? Maybe Peugeot should start marketing it again on TV and they would get more sales. The only problem and this is a niggle is that the parking sensors have played up and my local dealer has stuggled to sort it out. But their charges compared to even the likes of Saab and Volvo are considerable cheaper and they look after me really well. Now thinking of changing to the 2.0HDi version to get better economy though the spec of cars available is not as good.

Howard Dacosta, United Kingdom, November 24th 2008

V6 HDi SE 2dr Tip Auto

Bought the 2.7 v6 about 2 months ago now,and its just great. Took me ages to buy it,as my last few cars were Mercedes,Lexus and Audi,and this was just a Peugeot,but i wanted a grand tourer and this seemed to fit the bill,so i found one with 17000 miles on the clock,for only 13 grand. Can say hand on heart its the best car ive owned.Amazingly quiet,very comfy driving position,all the toys you could want,its just great. Drove it 500 miles to Scotland,averaged 46 mpg,and only stopped once,just did not feel tired. Had some very negative comments from guys at work,but most did not have a clue what it looked like,and were surprised by the look and quality when they actually saw it,and everyone ive given a lift to has had nothing but praise for it. Even takes 2 seta of golf clubs,plus trollys.

eddie mair, devon, November 10th 2008

V6 HDi SE 2dr Tip Auto

Perfect for motorway cruising in comfort and surrounded by all the gadgets needed. A little more challenging in tight spaces and car parks but put your faithin the parking sensors! A serious option to spending a lot more on a German rival that will still have some of the gadgets missing and you'll. When i told people what i had traded my CLK in for they looked at me funny but when i picked them up in it for the first time their opinion changed instantly. Only criticism is as it's front wheel drive and carrying a heavy V6 it doesn't take long to get through a front set of tyres and they're not cheap with the 18" wheels.

andrew rogers, October 2nd 2008

V6 HDi Sport 2dr Tip Auto

I purchased my 407 Coupe 2.7 v6 at the end of May 2008. I had 19inch alloys, twin exhaust, spoiler and the RT4 multi-media system put on as extras. It is the best thing i have ever done. I used to have a 407 1.6 diesel, which was an excellent car. My new 407 coupe is a little thirsty around town, but what you have to think is, it is the equivalent of a top end Audi or BMW. I have to say that there are a lot of cars on the road, and my Coupe has stood up to a lot of them. Why pay double when you can have a 407 coupe and its so pretty aswell.

Nick Mullikin, Devon, June 22nd 2008

SE 2dr

I bought my car a year ago after being contacted by my local dealer. It was a 4 month old example with 700 miles on the clock. It seemed a lot of car for the money - Β£16,000 - and my beloved 406 coupe was due for a change. From day one I have loved the car and I haven't experienced any problems at all in 15,000 miles. It is supremely comfortable and looks fantastic. It is one of the most refined cars for cruising. It's road-holding is excellent. It feels a solid rather than nimble car to drive but I like that. My one fear is that Peugeot will decide to stop importing it one day due to poor sales in the UK. Even more testimony to me though that I have discovered one of the best-made, lesser known and exclusive affordable models on the road today. It takes owning one to realise that the less prestigious badge compared to BMW or Mercedes is the only negative. Having said that, I find the that image of the German cars is rather suspect anyway.

Rob Jenkins, Rhondda-Cynon-Taf, May 16th 2008

HDi Sport Multimedia 2dr

Had to sell my 407 coupe due to a baby on the way - but I really will miss this car! I have seen a few spy pics of the new Peugeot 408 out next year, im hoping they will do a coupe version of this, I would definately consider it if its as good as the 407.

Gregory Cassanova, Hertfordshire, March 27th 2008

V6 HDi GT 2dr Tip Auto

I bought mine for 13k at 18 months old and I have to say it is fantastic. The car is heavy so not as quick as competitors, but the engine is very smooth, I get upto 45mpg on the motorway and the refinement is excllent. The interior is attractive but I find that it is not as easy to use as a German car. To turn off the AC you have to go into the menu options and the phone is frankly rubbish! The quality is excellent, and I think much better than the saloon, and so far (40 thousand miles on the clock) there have been no problems. Overall it's an excellent car all round, lots of boot space and good rear seats for a coupe.

Steven Perry, Devon, March 18th 2008

V6 HDi Sport Multimedia 2dr Tip Auto

Had the 2.7HDi for 2 months and the more I drive it the more I like it. Like others I am just out of a company car scheme and fancied something different and this fits the bill. It really is a GT rather than a sports coupe due to the weight but I am now looking at the various chip options to see what can be done to give it just a small hike in power. Have also fitted the Peugeot twin exhaust option which looks great but you need to haggle hard as the standard price is over the top.

Andrew Vincent, Devon, January 2nd 2008

V6 HDi GT 2dr Tip Auto

I recently reluctantly sold my Peugeot as we had a baby. I have to say that the car was outstanding in almost every aspect. I covered around 18000 miles and the car never missed a beat. The interior didnt start rattling like most Peugeots, the electrics continued to be reliable and nothing went wrong with the suspension. The car still gets lots of looks and is different compared to the standard euro boxes. The car is large and difficult to park with a poor turning circle but the parking sensors helped no end. Also the doors a very heavy. The servicing from Stafford Peugeot was excellent - again Peugeot seems to be improving in this area too. I have replaced the 407 with a C220 CDI Sport and it will be interesting to see how they both compare. Overall an excellent car, well worth the money if someone is looking to buy an exclusive model. It comes as no surprise that all owners seem to like them.

yogesh thankey, warwickshire, December 16th 2007

V6 HDi Sport Multimedia 2dr Tip Auto

Any car that shares its engine with a Jaguar, especially an XJ-type, is likely to be half-decent and at half the price, it must be something of a bargain... The 407 coupe could never be described as a sports car and in reality its more natural role is that of a long-distance cruiser. In this guise, performance and ride are excellent. The motor is sufficiently strong to provide decent acceleration to what is a fairly weighty car, although this characteristic does plant it to the road and give it a true feeling of solidity. Neither engine nor wind noise could ever be described as intrusive and the serene cabin environment allows the hi-fi system to perform at its sonorous best. General levels of equipment are very good. Visually, it's nothing like as pretty as the old 406 couple and perhaps it bears too close a resemblance to the standard 407. However, the shape cannot be described as uninteresting. Overall this is a great car and it amazes me that I see so few on my travels!

Antony Walmsley, December 8th 2007

V6 HDi GT 2dr Tip Auto

One week in, I'm impressed and my views are similar to others here. Having owned BMW, Audi, VW and Saab I'm surprised at the quality of the cabin. The GT with the full leather interior is very good and the seats comfortable and supportive. The 2.7 V6 diesel is the quietest diesel engine I've ever heard and dishes out enough smooth power, although a little more would be even better. The ride and handling are superb and the whole thing feels very solid and built to last. If you're after a reasonably quick, comfortable and economical GT which you don't see hundreds of every day, then like me pick up a year-old car with 8K miles for around Β£18K and enjoy!

Tony Pellerin, Northants, September 6th 2007

V6 HDi GT 2dr Tip Auto

Just purchased the 2.7 V6 GT come out of a company car scheme I have been driving a BMW 5 Series and I can't believe how good this car is in comparison the the BMW.It's simply fantastic, the level of spec is awesome I love the Colour Sat Nav and the on board GSM phone system is superb. Get yourself a duplicate SIM Card from your mobile operator you can then leave your SIM in the car permenantly.Everything is voice operated, the JBL sound system is awesome. The V6 is superb and in Sport mode the car handles superbly. The leather trim is beautiful the ride and handling are second to none, I am averaging 35mpg at the moment the car has covered 4000 miles. I purchased an ex demo with 3500 miles on the clock for 10k below list price !! Look around if you are going to buy one there are some bargains around for a nearly new car. I would recommend the GT as the resale value and desirability factor may be higher for a "fully loaded car" Well done Peugeot !!

steve wrigglesworth, April 14th 2007

SE 2dr

Recently taken delivery of a 2.2 SE. Silver with fantastic red leather seats. I can't believe I only paid Β£16700 for this car brand new. Haggle hard, because the discounts are there. The fit and finish are superb, helped no doubt by the seperate production line. The engine is very smooth and the car car extremely quiet. It's no rocket ship, but that's not why I bought it. I specified the sat nav/phone and overall it works great. It still suffers the small bug of the dash indicator thinking you drive on the right, but the main colour display is so good, it's not really a hassle. Equipment levels are massive and everything is working as advertised so far. I'm getting around 25mpg at the moment, but that's all town driving and it may improve a little as the engine loosens up. I've received nothing but complimentary comments about the car and am thoroughly enjoying every minute I spend in it. I can't imagine what else is available that is this good for the money and best of all, there isn't one parked in every car park. Can't recommend it enough.

PAUL SMITH , WORCESTER , March 25th 2007

SE 2dr

I have owned the car since Oct 06,I have only done 2500 miles in this time. I upgraged to include sat nav & phone system, which are great. I have experinced the problem with the display on the dash indicating incorrect direction. The only problem I have had is the front registration plate keeps falling off (twice), as it is only stuck on with double sided tape. Overall I am very pleased with the car. The car does guzzle petrol but luckily I have company fuel card.

Peter O'Brien, Lancashire, December 31st 2006

V6 HDi GT 2dr Tip Auto

Must be the best bargain for car the enthusiast. Feels like Β£45k. Twin turbo v6 diesel hand built. Really well made, beautiful, a great drive, 33mpg on shorter journeys vs 43mpg on the motorway. Fantastic interior, spec, 6 sp auto box, engine. Something to look forward to everyday. Beats BMW 3 and 5 series in character and value. Feels more like my friends 6 series. CLK dull in comparison. Bit like a mini Jaguar. Journalists dont seem to get it as they seem to find it adifficult car to pigeonhole so seem to write it off (JC). A mature car. Feels like my old Mercedes 560sec in character. Fantastically heavy doors. Loads of road presence. Slightly larger in scale than other cars. Enjoyed the 2.2 petrol manual as well, lighter by 200kg. In the end a nearly new GT for Β£20k swung it for me. Dont believe the windscreen prices. Only minor gripe is parking sensors that tell me after the event when stopping enthusiastically. Cannot recommend it high enough. Dont know how PSA make a profit. Buy it before they stop making it.

james fairman, lincolnshire, December 29th 2006

V6 HDi GT 2dr Tip Auto

My requirements were for a new (preferably nearly new) car for work to replace my 53-plate company Audi A3 130 TDI. My budget was Β£25,000 and I was buying privately. I was sorely tempted by a pretty 54-plate Mercedes C320 CDI estate for Β£23,000 which went like a rocket, but was poorly specified, having cloth seats. BMWs were dismissed as I like to get let out of juctions! In the end, the 407 coupe was leagues ahead of the competition in all sorts of ways. A deal was done for a black 55-plate GT HDi with red leather interior. I have now completed 5000 miles in the car and it is fantastic. I was surprised how much was included within the car's list price at the low Β£30,000 mark, let alone the Β£20,000 I paid. The twin-turbodiesel motor is reminiscent of my old V8 Mercedes 560SEC in its bottom end torque delivery. The doors are very heavy, just like the old Mercedes coupe (which I like). It is a fast and a very quiet cruiser with 80mph coming up at around 2,000rpm. The car averages 40mpg on a fast motorway run and 35mpg in normal driving. The six-speed auto is excellent. The hand-stitched leather interior is in a quality league of a car of much higher price. In all, the Peugeot design team seem to have put an unusual amount of effort in the detailing and design. I am slightly at a loss how they can make a profit on the vehicle. I intend to keep it for a good while yet.

James Fairman, Lincolnshire, December 23rd 2006

V6 HDi GT 2dr Tip Auto

Having owned many BMW's in recent years, I was somewhat hesitant to buy a Peugeot 407 V6 Hdi GT Coupe. I need have had no such concerns. Everything about the car is excellent - the looks, the equipment levels, and most of all, the engine. What a cracker! It offers effortless performance in a supremely relaxed and quiet manner. Why on earth did I bother to spend all those extra thousands of pounds buying BMW's ? Time will tell whether my initial delight is well founded.

Malcolm Fisher, Warks, December 4th 2006