D-4D Icon 4dr

Not the best of the best in the Β£20K class if i'm honest. Interior is good and comfortable. Economy is not the greatest by far for a new 2.0 common rail diesel unit which this vehicle has. Even driving efficiently as possible on long runs it struggles to average a good 50MPG so the facts and figures are totally a unreliable source as it claims it can achieve up to 62.6+MPG. Driving on the road is average. Don't get me wrong it is a gem to drive very smooth and quiet however with 124ps it does come over as a bit sluggish for a modern 2.0 diesel. However i must say it does look nicer than a Mondeo or an Insignia especially the 'icon' model with alloy wheels, front fogs LED day running lamps etc. If i was to spend Β£20K on a new family saloon such as the avensis i would not go for the Avensis there are a lot of options available in the Β£20K market. Like i said the biggest negative about this vehicle is the fuel consumption and performance. It just doesn't seem to be up to date with the 4 door saloon car market in terms of performance and economy.

tom wowk, nottinghamshire, November 9th 2013

D-4D T2 4dr

I have the 2012 model on loan at the moment and I have to say I'm disappointed. Engine is lacklustre and lacks punch. Interior is rubbish, horrible silver centre console with 1980s style switch gear. Brakes are abysmal and suspension crashes over the many bumps on irish roads. Surely Toyota can do better on a 20k car.

tony sheehan, December 8th 2012

D-4D Colour Collection 4dr

I own a Toyota Avensis 2ltr D4d and what a brilliant car it is,it holds the road brilliantly and long drives are a pleasure,with over 230,000 miles,yes miles not kilometres on the clock the only thing that gave up was the air conditioning pump after 200,000 miles which i replaced for 500 euro fitted,it has a huge boot and lost of room and comfort for passengers and with 10,000 miles between servicing it just cant be beaten as well as managing over 45mpg

paul tuomey, November 19th 2011

D-4D T4 4dr

Toyota's new avensis is the best yet. prices start from around Β£14,000 for the saloon and Β£16,000 for the tourer. theres a good amount of standerd equitment.Toyota's are one of the most reliable car makers so no problems expected.

John Goodall, February 21st 2009

D-4D Colour Collection 4dr

Our Avensis has given us 170,000 kilometres or 105,000 miles of total reliability. It's only had one fault - the CD player stopped working.

Steve Watson, Co. Wicklow, April 17th 2008

VVTi GLS 4dr

dont always pay too much attention to expert reviws, if you want a reliable, comfortable and easy to drive anywhere family car, you can do a lot worse than the Avensis. the 2.0L is as sweet as a nut, and the car has never let me down. great fuel economy and overall running costs, only the insurance grouping letting it down. it,s good to drive too, ok the steering and feel are a bit vague but who cares, it goes where you point it. it has great space. it seated five of us in comfort with all our luggage over 300 miles and still returned about 42mpg. good equipment levels too. very close to getting 5 star rating.

ian crowe, April 13th 2008

GS 4dr

Comfortable, silent ride. In fact, the quietest engine of any car that I'e ever been in - period. Only downside is the poor rear mirror view. other than that, a superb, economical buy (just GBP10k for a one year old W-reg ex-fleet model from a car supermarket with 12k miles on the clock).

John Whitney, February 23rd 2008

VVTi GS 4dr

I bought this car new from a main toyota dealer,i only had the car the head lights blew and could not get the cover back on resulting in wet getting in to the head lighting units. I found out that it was a faulty design so they replace them with new lighting units ho and while they were at it they fixed the faulty braking system..? they let me drive around out of the show room with a faulty braking system .problems with door seals, there were lots of other problems. A new engine had to be fitted as they are caving in,it took two months replace it,i was of the road for two months.it now needs a second new engine toyota my ass.I did some research, the engines are manufacturer in spain and assembled in the UK ho and by the way its not a toyota you are buying its a Renault they have bought toyota. Toyota EU is what it is called now.would not touch one again toyotas are not what they use to be. so its now crimbo day and i have a lone of a skoda as my toyoya avensis has no engine again.. as for toyota customer service its a joke... i got a recall 2.5 yrs later from toyota... for faulty steering racks, they disconnect at low speed resulting in well no streeing.. i dont think i will be buying another toyota this year..they are living on there name from the pasted..not good enough

roger mcmanus, laois, December 25th 2007

D-CAT T4 4dr

I am ending a three-year period with this car and having travelled almost 90,000 miles - mainly on the motorway - I am now in the position to give some pointers! Bad points: the car has spent many days in and out of the garage with different issues. It has had a new ECU, new injectors, new manifolds, new steering column and an incurable misfire when hot and on long motorway journeys (which it still has, despite numerous trips to the dealer and investiagation during servicing). Twice it has gone into limp mode when on the outside lane of the M5 - this is quite scary! It does reset once you switch the engine off, though (hence new ECU etc.). To be fair to Toyota, all was covered under warranty - but it shouldn't be happening, should it? It has a poor turning circle, jiggly ride and I found the engine unrefined and severly underpowered. My wife's BMW 120d feels like an Exocet missile in comparison! Positive points: the sat-nav is great! The stereo is fantastic - it hides the rattling engine brilliantly. There is plenty of room front and back and the boot is large enough to cope with most things. The driving position and seats are excellent. Toyota covered everything under warranty without question. Overall: if you want to pootle around it may by just what you want, if you're a bit more sporting then go for something else. I wish had opted for the similarly priced Honda Accord 2.2 CTDi.

Keith Taylor, June 4th 2007

VVTi GLS 4dr

I owned this car for two years with no problems, then sold it to my son when I bought my new Corolla T3. He has now covered over 100,000 miles with only one problem - it needed a new starter motor. No wonder taxi drivers love them - need I say more? I don't think so. If you are about to buy one, enjoy.

christian gee, oxfordshire, December 29th 2006

VVT-i T4 4dr

a very good all round car that is certainly not run of the mill, looks far more classy than the mondeo or vectra and with a reputation for reliability that is second to none,i have the seq box which i find etremely smooth but a little on the thirsty side, the car drives very well and long journeys just seem to fly by ,i have read various reviews of the car and can not see what most reviewers gripe about. i have recieved excellent service from the dealers and have had 1 slight problem (a rattle from the drivers door) that was fixed very quickly with a short trip to the local dealership i would certainly recommend this car to my friends all of which think it is classy anyway

peter grocott, staffs, May 25th 2006

VVTi GLS 4dr

I bought my first 2002 Toyota Avensis 1.8 GS in October 2006. I found it to be rather noisy in the cabin and the gearbox failed at 4200 miles. It left my girfrind and myself stranded at the side of the road miles out in the country. I contacted the garage where I bought it from in Northern Ireland - they did not want to know. I looked up Google about the Toyota Avensis, only to find that the gearbox is a big problem at 4000 miles. I phoned Toyota - the number I found in the handbook that came with the Avensis. They deny that the gearbox has any fault in it at all. The problem seems to be with the English cars more so than imported ones. It's a great let-down by Toyota - that's what happens when their cars are no longer made in Japan. I have owned a Toyota Carina II for fourteen years and have hardly ever any problem.

Robert Hartley, DOWN, April 5th 2006

D-4D T2 4dr

Had this car from new, drive is fine for long distances, though rather twitchy on minor. Two problems though: 1) been a new clutch after only 10,000 miles (grapevine says it is becoming a reoccuring problem with avensis). 2) Major gripe is the level of aftersales service. Having a main Toyota dealer in a large UK city, take 8 days to replace a clutch due to parts not in stock and delivery is ridiculous. Cost me over Β£280 in hire car charges due to this!!. I was also informed by my hire car company that I would not have my car back for x amount of days rather than toyota themselves!! Customer service very poor 1/5.

michael egan, west yorkshire, February 17th 2006

VVT-i T2 4dr

I've had some problems in the 25,500km I've done, as follows: Sup. arms for the rear axel (redesigned now) Front right light unit changed because of condensation inside Battery went completely dead at minus 15 degrees Steering collumn has to be changed(redesigned) What do you say about all of this? I expect a comment from your authorised specialists if they know of this. Still a Toyota fan.

Gabriel Zamfirescu, Bucharest, February 15th 2005

VVTi GLS 4dr

Overall I find this to be an excellent car - good value for money, and running costs are realistic. Thank you for asking!

Morris Murdoch, Aberdeenshire, February 12th 2005

GLS 4dr

I travel long distances regularly and clock up a lot of mileage in my 4 years ownership I've never had any mechanical/electrical or other faults and the car is now in excess of 110,000 miles and is still going strong. The only costs have been in servicing and replacing tyres, timing belts and brakes and I've found the dealership to be prompt and reasonably priced. Compared with other cars I've had that give you major problems around the 75,000 miles range the Avensis is without doubt reliable, still feels comfortable and the interior has worn well over the years even if it is a little dull.

Roz Cassidy, Strathclyde, December 29th 2004

GS 4dr

Just a good car to drive.

Peter Lewis, December 9th 2004

VVT-i T Spirit 4dr Seq Auto

I seem to have bought a totally different car than the one tested by What Car! My Toyota is very comfortable to drive even over very long distances. I've chosen the bronze colour and the beige leather trim and I can tell you heads turn when I drive by. The car offers everything you need and... for a very reasonable price. I was offered a surprising 11% discount by a Toyota dealer, so I bought this Toyota Avensis 2.4 with GPS and sunroof for only €31.000! I've compared the Avensis 2.4 with BMW and Mercedes. I did lots of test drives and eventually chose the Toyota Avensis 2.4. A make that ranks first in reliability and low costs will not take any risk I suppose.

Flor Trappers-Cornelis, Vlaams-Brabant, October 31st 2004

VVT-i T2 4dr

It's a bit harsh on side roads, but I expect it will loosen up one day - mine has done 12,000 miles and I've had it from new. The dealer was very friendly, but Toyota did take about 6 months to resolve a noise through the steering column. We had two replacement columns - the noise was apparently caused by a design fault in the electric power steering. The boot appears large but is not very deep. We've had no breakdowns, and the fuel consumption has been around 37-41mpg overall, mostly around town.

Wayne Barwick, Essex, October 6th 2004