Volvo V70 Owner reviews

[136] Business Edition 5dr

Got the Volvo V70 Business edition with Powershift (auto), cream leather, sunroof, winter pack. Very good build quality. Nice to drive long distances. Ride a little choppy until you get to motorway speeds then it is fine. Getting around 48-52mpg out of it which is not bad for a huge barn of a car married to a 1.6Td with an auto box. Auto changes exceptionally smooth which was quite a surprise. Need to stick into sport mode when wanting to nip out of junctions quickly. Only issue with the car is that if I have it fully loaded with stuff and people, the 1.6 does not really have enough gumption. Just me and the wife though and it is fine. Sat-Nav standard and really is very good. Staff at the dealership very helpful. I'll probably stick with Volvo if their customer service continues to live up to what I have had, as the build quality and comfort of this car is so good. Probably will switch to the xc60/90 next time though depending on economy as I do 20-25k a year (higher up so easier on back). It may cost less to buy from a different badge, but how I am treated and what the build quality of the car is like, are the two upper most concerns.

Matthew Soul, Surrey, December 15th 2014

140 S 5dr

Further to my last review about excellent fuel economy, the What Car system wouldn't let me leave the review unless I showed the average fuel consumption within 50% of 31.4 i.e. a maximum of 46 mpg - seems a bit pointless to invite reviews and then artificially manipulate them, so ignore the average figure shown in the left hand column on my previous review.

Gerrard Crouch, Cambs, October 29th 2012

SE Lux Premium 5dr

I have owned my V70 from new and it is now 3 years old with 75,000 miles on the clock. Minus points: Tyres need changing after 20,000 miles and are very expensive - Plus points: Brilliantly comfortable seats, totally reliable mechanically; service experience, customer care excellent; 40+ MPG using light right foot; smooth cruising on motorways; great load carrier with flat folding rear seats; sat nav operation without removing either hand from steering wheel (you do need to read the operating manual) - Am changing car as now out of warranty and only buying a BMW 5 Series as the deal offered by BME was far superior to a Volvo replacement. Pity.

Keith Bowran, North Yorkshire, August 31st 2011

SE 5dr

I too had the challenge of finding a car that would take 3 car seats across the back but wasn't an MPV. Looked at Audi; VW etc but none would fit the 3 child seats. Reluctantly? choose the V70 but have I've come to really enjoy it. (Bought volvo's booster for the middle initially) I often have 4hr+ drives on mixed A roads in the Highlands of Scotland and it's a pleasure to drive; good power when needed and you get out feeling more relaxed than you should after 4hrs behind the wheel. Would prefer a few more mpg but that's probably more to do with a heavy right foot (get about 34-35). Overall - a great family car that can be chucked about surprisingly well for it's size.

K S, December 3rd 2008

D5 S 5dr

Very good car and practical all round. However, seats and driving position not as good as I expected (compared to my previous S class and 7 series). Interior trim quality is very good. Engine is sweet and better than BMW or Merc diesel offerings. So far 100% reliability and good economy.

James Lawler, Cork, November 27th 2008

Sport 5dr

I drive this car regularly for work and the power is smooth and strong and it handles exceptionally well for a big estate. The car is very safe and stopping distances are heavily reduced by the anchors that are the brakes. Would advise anyone considering a 5 series touring to try one of these first as this is far nicer all round.

c halliday, November 25th 2008

D SE 5dr

I have recently purchased a June 2008 registered V70 2.0D SE Manual. It is an ex-demo with the following extras; Leather seats, rear parking sensors, winter pack, family pack. My first experience of the car was to drive to Spain and back! It took a long time for the new shape V70 to grow on me but so far I am very pleased with it. It is taller with a larger passenger and load compartment, it is quieter and lighter to drive with a better turning circle. It will cruise all day at 80mph, but only 40mpg? Having had three of the previous model V70's this car actually feels different, but still has all of the previous models virtues! There are a few niggles though. The 2.0D(136PS) manual is perfectly adequate but is no better on fuel than my old D5(185PS) geartronic? The storage tray in between the seats has cupholders that are non-removeable and take up too much space and the 12V power point is vertically mounted just behind the gearlever inside the storage tray. This means that when you have the satnav plugged in, you cannot close the storage tray lid and the cable catches on your arm when changing gear! If you have keys attached to the starter key fob, they dangle over the aluminium facia vents and rattle! Minor things I know, but after driving this car 3000 miles in two weeks, these are the things that you notice. Trouble is, now I would really like the new shape V70 D5(185PS) SE Lux geartronic. I miss the extra power and auto gearbox. So I had better start saving up.

J D, November 20th 2008

D R DESIGN 5dr

Considering a V70 as a company car but have 3 kids with the youngest being 1 and am concerned that I can't get all 3 car seats in the back. Have tried an Audi A6 and a BMW 5 and it's really tight in the back. Does anyone know whether I can get a car seat (for the one year old) between the factory fitted child booster seats in the V70? I can't find one locally to try this. thanks for your help Mark

Mark Herrington, November 18th 2008

SE 5dr

Owning a V50 with an expanding family - I've been considering a bigger car. I can well see why people continually repeat purchase the V70 - hits the right buttons and the 2.0D manual is not too bad environmentally - and by the time I come to purchase next year - I'm hoping will be even better.

Mark Hodgkinson, November 6th 2008

SE Lux 5dr [RTI NAV]

Having owned four volvo estates: 240, 940, old style D5 and now a new model plus a Vauxhall Carlton, Vauxhall Omega, Saab 9-5, BMW 5 series tourer and Audi A6, all estates, it's been interesting to compare my 08 plate D5 SE LUX auto. Certainly it's an improvement over my old D5, with a better turning circle, engine, road and wind noise and quieter plus a much smoother ride with better hroad handling. Fuel consumption is down a bit but I'm still getting 40 + mpg with normal driving. What persuaded me to buy another Volvo rather than a german rival was the comfort of the seats, the load carrying ability and value for money deal.

Keith Bowran, North Yorkshire, October 25th 2008

T SE Lux 5dr

I took delivery of my V70 2.5T in March 2008 and I am very pleased with it. The V70 replaces a BMW 2.5 Touring which I had bought the previous year and was glad to be shot of it. The BMW made me feel ill because of the high level of noise from the run flat tyres and the hard ride effected my wife’s back and neck. So we are pleased to have a quite and smooth ride now which the V70 gives. We feel very safe in the V70 as the build is of a very high standard, and both the steering and road holding are excellent. Conversely, we did not feel safe in the BMW which tramlined and veered in unwanted directions when hitting imperfections in the road surface, one always had to keep both hands on the steering wheel to fight the car from hitting parked cars etc. We like the comfort of the V70 and there is plenty of room for all occupants including our two Black Labradors in the rear. The lines of the car are modern and attractive and the access getting in and out is very easy. Unfortunately, by making the mistake of buying the BMW, I lost Β£13,000 for 10,000 miles of noisy, dangerous, bumpy and – see my report for the BMW – driving. So anyone thinking of buying a BMW DON’T, forget the badge and go for a Volvo. Previous to the BMW I had a Volvo S60 T5, what a super car that was and now I am back with Volvo again, I will not consider another make when I come to make a change as I think they are the tops.

Arthur Gregory, North Somerset, August 30th 2008

AWD SE 5dr

Does everything I want. Recently travelled from Leeds to Portsmouth return in 1 day and no back ache. Great on motorway. Forget the reviews about a course engine. This a great car! Versatile, quick and not that thirsty. No complaints about bulid quality, better than the S type Jag I had. Dealer (Harratts Wakefield) had the car back for a check after 3000 miles. They did not charge to adjust tracking even though I had curbed front nearside wheel. Great car!

Nigel Storer, West Yorkshire, July 29th 2008

T SE 5dr

My most regretable buy. A great car spoilt by silly things and in the case of tyres, crass stupidity. Volvo V70 2.0T, owned for 3 years bought second hand and use this for the family car and as a bcak up for my chauffeur hire business. Has 54,000 miles drive. Tyres are a nightmare, if you are going to buy a V70, (and they are a good big, practical estate) whatever you do, make sure they put proper tyres and wheels on the ting first. Low profiles came with mine (R17) and whoever put low profiles on a working, country estate needs their head examining.5 sets of tyres in about 2 years! The other irritating thing is chaging headlamp bulbs. You don't. You take it to your dealer.... to change a headlamp bulb!!! It is a great shame that what is fundamentally a good car is spoilt by silly things....

Murray Harrold, Bucks, July 7th 2008

5dr

Mine was actually the V70XC 2.4 automatic petrol Cross Country. 1998 Winter pack. A fantastic car, fast, reliable, safe, well screwed together, extremely comfortable with a brilliant sound system. I couldn't praise the car highly enough. Great on the road and very capable off it too, except for the really rough stuff. The luggage space is enormous and the seats fold flat and do come out if necessary. The intrusions are minimal from wheel arches and there are no window sills getting in the way. The ride quality and road holding are wonderful and with sports mode engaged, it really shifts for such a big car. 0-60 in just over 8 seconds. The only real beef I have with the car was that bits were pricy.

James Nash, Kent, June 26th 2008

T SE 5dr

Bought it 8 months old in 04 with 12k on the clock, and now done 97k, faultlessly. Negatives - Auto can be jerky (drive smoothly, it behaves) and servicing costs are horrendous (sure they had finance forms on the service desk!!). Turning circle akin to a super tanker, but a fantastic tourer. Mid-range is quick, fuel economy (the reason she has to go) is high 20's with a light right foot - get excited and 22-23 mpg the norm. I'm now changing for a diesel - I'll wait for the new V70 2.0d to come down in price and get one of those in 18 mnths. It is the 1st car I've kept more than 2 years and enjoy it to drive today as much as the day I bought it. Shame about the economy, but Β£300/month in fuel - it's more expensive than my wife!!!

Tony Kearins, Leics, June 20th 2008

SE 5dr

I wrote a review of my D5 way back in 2008, when the car had 55k on the clock. Since then, I've driven another 90k miles, and never had a single problem. The Volvo remains just as much a pleasure to drive now as it was when I bought it; supremely comfortable (the seats are so comfortable that I love my 12-hour drives to the south of France), effortlessly powerful, immensely practical (it's SO spacious in the boot), consistently frugal (I'm averaging 50mpg on a mix of motorways and urban driving) and trouble free. It's cheap to own (service is Β£200, insurance is similar, depreciation is negligible now as its probably only worth Β£1750) and in the 10 years I've owned it, I've only had to replace the front bushes (at 120k miles); other than the bushes, nothing else has required work. A few years ago I was shunted while stationary by a Saab going at 40mph, and the Volvo's unbreakable body proved just how safe it was: the comment of a passing police officer summed it up perfectly - "it's a V70, mate; they're the safest thing on the road and nothing dents them... which is why we coppers love them". I've been fortunate enough to own a lot of cars over the years (Porsches, Land Rovers, BMWs etc.), but this without doubt the best I've ever owned; it's a truly superb car and even tthough Id ordinarily have looked to replace it long before now, i cant think of anything to beat it for all-round capability and dependability. I'm looking forward to the next 150k miles.

David Walsh, London, June 1st 2008

T5 SE 5dr

Bought an ex-police T5 for the wife thinking it would be a nice safe car for her and the kids. Immense fun to drive, very smooth and quiet, and will see off most "hot hatches". Everything works on it, and it has been 100% reliable. If I can grab the keys early enough in the morning, I use it myself and leave the wife with the company car. The only money I've spent on it are a couple of tyres. Treat yourself- get one!

Dave Turner, May 30th 2008

D S 5dr

We bought an 2003 2.4 D5 with 52,000 in Oct 2007 and we have done 8,000miles trouble free. Our overall fuel cosumption is 39.6mpg and on a long run to NW Scotland when we were really trying to stretch it, we hit 52.7mpg. (At one stage we had run 217miles and had 710 miles left in the tank. We had not noticed the turning circle, but then we have had a few Discoveries and anything after a Disco is going to turn around more easily. + points; Wonderful relaxed tourer, eats miles whether motorways or poor back roads. Great seats, excellent cabin and bags of room for all. Huge space for front passengers. (Try pushing the steering wheel forward and then your seat to get comfortable, now see how much rear leg room your passenger has......) Big car that does not feel that bulky when on the move. Modest, almost self effacing presence. With back seats folded down the load deck rivals our previous Discovery 3. Drives much the same whether fully loaded or not. - Points; Does not want to pushed hard, has grip, but a V70 is not a sports car. (Our other car is a V50 S and that is far sharper but the ride is nothing like as serene.) The engine is fine, but does not want to be pushed. A good car that has joined our list of 'favourite cars ever'.

John Whittle, Cumbria, May 18th 2008

SE Sport 5dr

I'm now 3 weeks into my ownership after having owned Audi's, VW's a Mercedes, a BMW and I wanted a change; so far I do not regret it. It's a well equipped car for the price and at least as well built as anything from Germany, although after only 2 weeks a warning message has appeared that the dealer could not fix on their first attempt (it seems to be an electronic glitch). The styling, both inside and out, is not especially exciting altough there are numerous thoughful, intelligent design features on the car (the heated and ventilated leather seats and Bluetooth phone system are superb) - my view is it's typically Scandinavian in it's design and none the worse for that. Performance wise it's very good (I have a manual rather than automatic), so far reasonably economical at 34mpg and quieter than an E320CDI I used to have. The handling is safe rather than involving. Anyone who is a German badge snob will probably not give one a second look but if you're prepared to be open minded I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised!

Andrew Firth, Oxfordshire, May 11th 2008

170 5dr

We had our v70 estate as our company vehicle in 2000. In 2004 we were so impressed we bought the car from our company as a car for me...It had done 120,000 miles then...Never a problem and it just keeps going...Its been abroard with us to France Germany Italy...My only fault is the turning circle.....Dream of a car and still going strong and with us today...145,000 on the clock now...Ill be sorry to see him go...Have another.....You bet!

wendy law, staffordshire, April 30th 2008