Hyundai Santa Fe 4x4 (06 - 12) Owner reviews

I bought this car a few months ago, fully loaded and boy it's worth every penny! It stands out from the crowd as no one really has one of these around here! On the road it's a fantastic cruiser, soaks up the bumps well and ride is very smooth indeed. This model is the SE model and as people already said in the other reviews if you have the extra money go for the fully loaded one, you won't regret it. The panoramic sunroof is fantastic too, Xenon lights and LED daylights all make it stand up with the german cars and it looks better than them too! Overall my kids and I love it, neighbours envy it, I think it's the best car I bought and overall very happy and can't find any faults at the moment! I did look at the Audi Q7 and BMW X5 but the long term cost, servicing costs (plus the looks) are much better on this car.

Taz Moody, Greater Manchester, November 7th 2014

CRDi Premium SE 5dr [7 Seats]

This car was hideous from the start. Not being able to select first and second gear from stand still on most occasions after only a couple of weeks. Having to take the car back to the dealership 3 times to be told nothing wrong, only then to find that the clutch needed replacing. On replacing the Dealership damaged the exhaust, so that then needed to be replaced. Then to find on the return home trip that we needed to evacuate the car after an extremely strong burning smell was detected. On returning to the dealership it was found that they had left packaging around the exhaust. Then in one of our coldest winters for ages the heater packed up. This took nearly 3 weeks to resolve. Two weeks after this, the heater broke again. 3 weeks after this the heater broke a third time. The car was then rejected after threatening court action, but only the heater broke for a fourth time. Since I started to drive, I have had around 20 cars. By far this was the worst I’ve had the misfortune to own. 13 times the car need to be returned to the dealership in 15 months. Easy now that I don’t have the car and having endured 15 months of hardship and stress. BEWARE & STAY AWAY

Nick Woodford, Dorset, November 27th 2013

CRDi Premium 5dr [5 Seats]

This is our fourth Santa Fe,, had 2004, 2006, 2007 and now 2010 model and this time with automatic gearbox. Average MPG between 28 to 34 which is not too bad but I was expecting better. As 4x4 it worked well climbing up the hill in front of our farmhouse even powering thru some serious snow drifts. However I wished Hyundai would equip their 4wd with good all weather tyres from new as this would make driving safer in winter. Good car though, would buy another though next time it'll have to be the new model to get the warranty..

Andres Kruse, August 6th 2013

CRDi Premium 5dr Auto [7 Seats]

Had the Santa Fe now for 4 months and absolutely love it. Last car was a new shape Merc CLS, prior to that I had an E60 520D so plenty of expectation. The Good Simply amazing value for money even with the price rise, add up the spec + 7 seats and you’ll be lucky to get within Β£10k. Really well built (not quite up to German standards but 95% there), loaded with extras, good to drive and a refined cruiser Cannot understand criticisms of the equipment, panoramic roof alone is worth so much, touch screen Sat Nav is definitely a step up from the Merc, Bluetooth integration is the best I've ever had its A2DP and works for phone & music, the USB connection is equally clever too, no need for a special connector, just use your native charging cable and it fully integrates with the car automatically. Automatic parking is really intuitive too, certainly easier than the Merc. 2.2 197BHP Diesel won’t win any records for speed, but is sufficiently powered (more so than the CR-V) and economical too (am getting around 39mpg) given that it is actually quite a large car. Loads of room as well, nice cubby holes, very practical for families and 2 decent sized 3rd row seats for big kids. The not so good Its certainly not a tractor, but don’t expect X3 handling. The 3rd row seats aren’t the easiest to access, especially for adults. While normally refined the engine can rattle a bit at low revs or when cold. The steering sensitivity setting is pointless. 1st gear is a little short. That's

Jonathan Taylor, West Yorkshire, July 17th 2013

CRDi Premium SE 5dr [7 Seats]

I downsized to the new Santa Fe from a more traditional 4x4 (Nissan Pathfinder). Overall I have found the car a disappointment. I regularly use unsurfaced roads and the Santa Fe crashes over bumps and generally feels unsubstantial. On the road, the engine is quiet but road noise is an issue on all but the smoothest surfaces and the front suspension is noisy over surface imperfections (This may not be helped by the 19 inch wheels on the SE model). My main problem with the car is the huge number of minor irritations which add together to make living with it on a daily basis far less pleasurable, such as the inability to sufficient dim the sat nav screen at night, the folding rear seats that do not return to their original position, the fact you need to press a button to see the clock and the inability to pause iPod audio. I could list at least 100 additional irritations. The sat nav, bluetooth and voice activation functions are woefully basic compared to my previous Nissan. I have always achieved within 2mpg of official combined fuel consumption figures with my previous cars, but the Santa Fe averages 38mpg (8mpg below the official figure). I also have concerns over reliability after my car was laid up for 4 days with an engine warning light fault after only 6 days of ownership.

David Aldington, June 15th 2013

CRDi Premium SE 5dr [7 Seats]

I took delivery of my 'New Generation' Hyundai Santa Fe Premuim (7 seater)on 1st March 2013 and been delighted with the car thus far. With no user reviews yet appearing within WhatCar I hope this proves useful to those who might be considering it. Prior to buying I spent time assessing the range of vehicles which would suit my requirements, namely I should want a 4x4 with leather, a boot for a family lifestyle, something which would be reasonably ecomonical and nothing which should appear 'mumsy' (ie nothing a man in his late thirties would feel silly driving). There were four possible options: RR Evoke, Volvo XC60, Audi Q5 and the New Generation Santa Fe. Anything else just seemed too big or likely to be too expensive to run. A trip to all appropriate dealerships revealed: RR Evoke: great styling but just far too small for a family car. Volvo XC60: great in many ways but a little too 'stayed' (ie for more mature drivers). Audi Q5: my top choice for quite a while, but having looked at this option on two different occasions I eventually decided that the boot was just far too small and rear seat leg room was tight. Still a great looking car though. The New Generation Santa Fe was a 'wild card' option at first. I had concerns about the badge if I am completely honest. On seeing the car for the first time I was immediately impressed. Build quality, size, numbers of 'toys' and style. The premium version certainly better irrespective of WhatCar recommedation!FIVE stars overall.

Adam Pritchard, South Staffs, April 19th 2013

CRDi Premium 5dr [7 Seats]

What can I say, 75000 miles in three years, one set of tyres and passed MOT with flying colours. Only issue was a failed clutch master cylinder at 60000 miles which was replaced no quibble (full clutch as well) FOC by dealers. MPG avaerage 35/36 but then I am quite heavy footed as the car with this power available is a pleasure to drive. This is my second Santa Fe and fourth Hyundai (2 x Terracans previously), so sad to be trading it in next week for a new car )-: But guess what, its for another Santa Fe and its not the new model! Not sure on the new looks despite what Hyundia's marketing gurus think, I still like the old shape. So dealer has done me a cracking deal on a pre registered old style model (still has more gizzmos than my old one) and i'm lookinh forward to 2/3 years more happy motoring. Hopefully the new model will have grown on me by then and the deals on offer will be a little more sensible.

Frank Gowdy, Tyne & Wear, January 11th 2013

CRDi Premium 5dr [5 Seats]

This is my second Santa Fe having been lucky enough to trade in a 56 plated model for the latest 2012 one complete with Bluetooth. I was impressed by the old car but this one is leaps and bounds better; the new engine is more powerful and flexible, the 6th gear makes it smoother, quieter and more economic and the whole package has gone up market. The RDS radio (at last!) works well with the Bluetooth but I do miss the CD changer, I am however getting used to using my ipod instead. The car takes me shooting across some pretty rough country and my dogs have plenty of room in the rear (I like the new dog guard too)sadly as the Met Office got it wrong as usual I haven't been able to compare its abilities on snow yet. After two months I'm a very happy customer and this is the first time I have ever not changed models when I bought a new car!

Graeme Hutchison, Fife, January 1st 2012

CRDi Premium 5dr [5 Seats]

This is my 4th Hyundai, second Santa Fe. Purchased January 2010 and know with 45000 on the clock. Car is well put together, reliable, no faults to date,very economical for a big car and huge inside. Handling is good, road and wind noise good. The 5 yer warranty gives peace of mind and the 20000 service period is good on the pocket. Servicing cost lower than any other large 4x4 I have driven in past (3 x Series2 Discoveries). Hard pushed to find a better car to replace it with next year!

Frank Gowdy, Tyne & Wear, December 5th 2011

CRTD GSI 5dr [5 Seats]

I have had the Santa Fe Premium since September 2010. I still do not have a cruise control system that works even sometimes. My local garage have been absolutely no use in getting a resolution or ecalation of the problem with Hyundai. In going to Hyundai direct, an area manager came and drove my car, has experienced the problem and still I wait for resolution. My next step will be legal ones!! Perhaps the 5 year warranty is because it takes 5 years to fix problems. It is a shame because the car has plenty of space and power.. NEVER AGAIN A HYUNDAI for me.

Steve Hind, Cheshire, June 30th 2011

CRTD GSI 5dr [5 Seats]

First 4x4 test drive ever. Pleasantly surprised to find it was quite car like to drive but in the end fails to completely hide big fat wheels and tall body. Unfair to expect it to of course, but compared to family cars there is a bit of bounce and roll particularly if your sat in the back going on. Generally comfortable, the diesel engine and auto box work very well together and the diesel engine is impressively refined with only the occasional mystery slap and clatter making itself heard. Wind noise not really evident any more so than a regular car. Visibility and parking is so much better than I would have expected for a vehicle of this size, no harder than a family sized car (Mondeo etc.). Performance is also plenty good enough for family transport and recent interior revisions improve outlook from the driving seat. 5 year warranty attractive. The Achilles heal with this vehicle for us was the lack of steering wheel reach adjustment. We couldn't get legs and arms comfortable at the same time which rules this one out for long range driving. This is a great shame and a glaring omission in a market where even 4x4 and car sizes a class or two smaller come with this as standard these days. To sum up it's a vehicle for those who feel they must have 4x4 some of the time, the space but still want a reasonable drive. It delivers on this very well, just make sure you can get a comfy driving position.

Adrian Hilder, April 19th 2011

CRDi Style 5dr [7 Seats]

Time for an update. I have now had my Sante Fe for 20 months and have now covered 53,000 miles. So far after just two services and a set of front tyres ( still the orriginal on the back ), all is going well. A couple of issues early on, but dealt with promptly under warranty. So many people have been surprised by the car and amazed that I have kept a car this long having previously changed several BMW's after 12-18 months. But I love the car, it does what it says on the tin, has all the toys I need and averages 35 mpg and better on a long run. Cannot wait to see the next generation later this year !!!!!!! I will certainly be looking to Hyundai for my next car.

Ian Mason, July 21st 2010

CRDi Premium 5dr Auto [7 Seats]

This is my third Santa FΓ©. 1 x 2.4 and 2 x V6s in the last seven years. The 2.4 did 114000 in three years, the 1st V6 80000 in two and a half years, and this one has just gone 60000 in two years. Very little gone wrong, superb dealer at Horbury Bridge near Wakefield. Cheap to run too. Any Hyundai V6 that burns petrol is wasting money - go LPG. OK, I only get about 21mpg average, but currently paying 42p/litre. I can get 26mpg on a run loaded up, so it's cheaper to run than a diseasel. Cheap to buy - no one wants a big V6, Comfortable, nice to drive, good towcar. Can't say enough good things about them. Great value.

Alan Hodgson, South Yorkshire, February 15th 2009

V6 CDX 5dr Auto

I bought the Limited Edition Santa Fe a short while ago. I read every review going and was pleased to see that generally they were all about right. Pro's... Comfortable ride, quiet engine, nice high position, quite pokey when you need to put your foot down, easy and relaxing to drive, bags of space, effective climate control, 3rd row of seats very useable upto about 5'10" passengers, lots of useful storage areas. massive boot space, lovely styling, looks rugged enough until you get inside. Con's... Plasticky dashboard, awful stereo, no RDS, it drove me mad having to retune every 20 mins on the motorway, slid around in the shiny leather seats a bit. Only has 5 gears so on the motorway I constantly felt I wanted to change up a gear. Indicator stalks felt as durable as a pencil, fuel economy is lower than stated, very difficult to get to the stated 38.7 mpg and I drive like my grandad. Absolutely no way I could average over 40mpg. But in all fairness this is still pretty good for a big car. Overall, I liked it but have decided to sell it due to it feeling a little low in quality inside, but pound for pound against it's competitors, it's a real bargain, and a very practical car.

Dom Manton, Berkshire, January 16th 2009

CRTD CDX 5dr [154] [7 Seats]

I was pleasantly surprised at the level of spec that this 4 x 4 came with. CDX trim level provides heated front seats, leather seats, cruise control, rear park sensors, and electric windows/mirrors together with a satnav (this was fitted as an accessory later) - providing plenty of toys in a spacious vehicle with seven seat option. Not surprisingly, the 2.7 petrol Santa can burn up fuel easily but as long as you drive it considerately and without hob-nail boots on it isn't too bad. Don't expect to roar about in this but it does provide fantastic road presence and is a relaxing drive. Be minded that the 2.7 V6 sits in the top road tax bracket. It is also surprisingly well constructed and trim level is much better than the older versions. It also has a 5 year warranty that comes with the car (much more pleasing than other manufacturers 3 year ones). The main reason for purchasing the Santa at the 1-3 year age range is simply that they are incredibly cheap and provide most of the equipment level that their marqued rivals do yet the Santa costs as much as one sixth less of the price as a used vehicle. If you are not interested in badge snobbery then sit back and buy this for almost loose change and laugh at all the money you have saved by not buying a marque 4 x 4 - and I mean a saving of thousands of pounds here. Servicing costs are reasonable too. All in all a great value for money 4 x 4 - you can do far worse than have a good look at the Santa.

Matthew Nicoll, December 15th 2008

V6 CDX 5dr Auto

This is my 3rd Hyundai, I've had 2 Tucsons and now I've moved up to a Santa Fe. Both Tucsons were very good but I just needed more space. I've had my Santa fe just over a month now and I'm very pleased with it, mpg is approx 38-40 and I'm getting approx 600 miles between fill ups. I've been reading a few complaints regarding the dealers... I use E.S. Jones in Deeside North Wales and can't fault them, sales, service and parts are all excellent, hence I keep going back to replace my car. Would I buy another..... yes most definately.

John Stowe, Wirral, October 19th 2008

CRTD CDX 5dr [154] [5 Seats]

The car on test seemed very good indeed - however the dealr network seems appaling and on that basis I won't be buying one. No-one and i mean no-one was interested in selling a car! Arrogant and uninterested and this is not a cheap car. 1) For the money they want this is not a cheap car (good value but not cheap) and I expect to be treated as though I am buying a premium price vehicle 2) I didn't get the impression they would deal with after sales very well, apart from the fact they didn't want to sell me the car in the first place Car: 4 points / Dealers: Nil point

steve evans, cheshire, October 15th 2008

CRTD CDX+ 5dr [7 Seats]

Brought a new diesel manual limited six months ago. Have covered about 4000 miles mixed driving. After looking at all the 4x4 competitors narrowed it down to this and the Outlander which I drove back to back. Outlander felt more sporty but a lot noisier and felt distinctly low rent against Santa fe. Have not regretted my choice. For. Its very quite and refined, very well built and comfortable. Computer says I average 39mpg but not checked this yet. Loads of room. Still love its looks inside and out. No problems of any sort. Against. Performance seems only adequate (but may partly be due to how quite and refined it is) and 1st gear seems a bit short legged requiring to soon a change up, off the line. Also no electric folding mirrors. Side steps look nice but hinder getting in and out. The only cloud has been dealers. First one I went to, staff and showroom more like a back street second hand car lot, rather than the sort of place to hand over 23k. Second dealer much smarter, however once collected car, dealer fitted items ordered showed they had a jaw dropping level of incompetence from the so called Hyundai master mechanic to the after sales staff. It took months and many calls to Hyundai customer service (who were very good) to sort out several simple errors. I genuinely would not trust this garage to service a wheel barrow . Verdict. If your local dealer is good, I cant think of a better choice in this sector.

david carter, cambs, September 23rd 2008

CRTD CDX+ 5dr [5 Seats]

I wrote a brief review here a while ago after buying a 2002 2.7 V6 SF in 2006 and heaped praise on it. It's proved to be a sturdy workhorse for all occasions - 5 people and heavily luggaged on holiday on the Isle of Wight, 700 miles up to, around and then back from the Lake District, often loading it to the brim with jumble sale stuff for a charity I help, umpteen trips to the rubbish tip and Heathrow. About 46,500 on the clock and cambelt replacement with service (Β£700 combined) this year. In a momentary wild spasm I nearly spent up to Β£21,000 to trade it in for a Jeep Patriot, or a new shape SF or Kia Sorento last month so I'd look a bit more flash in my neighbourhood but decided to keep all that money in the bank longer and get all the benefits of the ageing SF. It's not glamorous, is a bit thirsty and few give it a second glance but I just don't care. It goes well, holds heavy loads, can take 5 burly people, looks like a light tank and might minimise injury if I was in a crash. The paintwork looks almost new. The audio system sounds great plus it has a few extras fitted by its previous owner. A keen but foolish Jeep salesman offered me a measly Β£2,000 to PX it last month for a Patriot which has less oomph and space in it. When I'm 65 next year I might go daft again and get something more exotic - but then I might not. I'd be sad to see the SF go. My wife's still got a 2004 Hyundai Matrix and is very happy in that.

Geoff Perfitt, Bucks, September 20th 2008

V6 5dr Auto

Overall this is a very good car for the money and we have been happy with it, it drives as well as many far more expensive SUVs. The car has been reliable generally but one or two minor niggles have been disappointing, the drivers seat electronics failed with the seat in reclined position which almost left us stranded on a family holiday, and the air con needed a regas after less than two years. Other well documented gripes include the lack of RDS radio and MP3 sockets on the stereo. The standard roof rails are also flawed in that they cannot be moved forward far enough to fit a long roof box and still be able to open the tailgate fully which caused a great deal of inconvenience on a recent family holiday. Overall though these are minor quibbles and the overall ownership experience has been very good, this car is certainly worth considering if you are looking for a large SUV for a reasonable price.

Alastair Murray, August 19th 2008