FSI Quattro 2dr S Tronic

The car looks great. The car sounds amazing. The build quality is fantastic. The power is breathtaking. However, it leaves me cold. Even when you put the foot down, where limits allow, 150 mph + is nothing special. It's all too clinical. It does put a smile on my face every time I start the engine and hear that roar - and it is a roar, but unless you are on some twisty B roads the drive just isn't engaging. The 22 mpg average is also beginning to annoy me. I won't be buying another one....maybe a BMW M6 or an insane Merc V8 will suit me better.

Gary Stewart, October 30th 2014

TDI 177 SE Technik 5dr [5 Seat]

Got one of these for a company car and I am really impressed with it to be honest. The kit level is good with the DAB now included in the technik spec the ride is very refined and the engine is powerful and the power delivery is smooth and progressive. I had a mondeo hatchback before and whilst the boot is smaller it is comparable and the seats fold down if needed. The leg room is decent and the kids and wife fit in just fine. The interior quality is brilliant and the leather is great quality. The ride is a little firmer than my old car but the overall driving experience is better and more concise. Getting use to the Audi on board computer is a bit tricky but the radio and media pack is great as is the sound of the stereo. The steering is nicely weighted but not overly sporty but to be honest Why would you buy one of these to race it? Better off with the S5 or the Quattro. A very good car to drive with fantastic looks and a sport feel whilst retaining family practicality. The Audi service package is also good, but a little expensive. I was surprised to see that the car only got 3 stars from what car as it think it is more like 4-4.5.

Stuart Kemp, Norfolk, November 26th 2013

T FSI Black Edition 2dr

63 REG Positives: Beautiful to look at especially in the black edition.(white) B&O sounds great especially on CDs.. Feel The difference from your standard iTunes/mp3 Front cabin comfortable, spacious yet cosy, unlike the CLA220 AMG or 5 series my other options. 60-90 you will hardly notice Nice exhaust note... A little noisier would be good. Alloys beautiful rotor blades Improvement needed: Infotainment really poor, not intuitive at all. It feels well below the standards set by the likes of land rover Evoque. Ride... Yes i knew it would be firm but terrible with pot holes, great on A and motorways. Interior light pack should come as standard, with a choice of mood light e.g. Mini 0-30 a bit less responsive due to the on/off which you can switch off lowering your MPG. Overall, a more subtle and sophisticated package than the other contenders.

Ben Lee, October 18th 2013

TDI 245 Quattro S Line 5dr

Opted for the Black Edition of this car brand new (in ibis white) 2013 which includes the black grill, titanium rotors, B&O system and AMI. It is an absolute beauty. I mean, I actually cant stop looking at it. Interior quality is solid and well built as you would expect from Audi. The drive is incredible. Quattro keeps wheels firmly glued to the road, steering is very responsive and 0-60mph in 5.9 secs! I was debating for a while between 2.0 and 3.0, and boy am I glad I went for the 3.0. If you just want to get from A to B then get the 2.0tdi. But if you want to get from A to B with a big fat smile on your face, get the 3.0tdi. You will not regret it. I dont have a reliable mpg figure for you but i reckon i'm doing 10 below manufacturer guide, so 40mpg ish. Pretty decent for a car of this calibre I think.

Anoop Aggarwal, Bucks, July 16th 2013

TDI S Line 5dr

I got the 2013 2.0 TDI S-line as a courtesy car when I took my 2011 A1 1.6 TDI S-line in for a service. I was surprised the quality of cabin materials is not as good as my A1. The plastics around the controls feel cheaper and the MMI controls flimsy. This model was fitted with the B&O system which is good but lacks the punch of the BOSE in my A1. The driving position is offset to the right, which twists my back and seems unnecessary given the width of the car . The seats are firm but I like the additional sliding leg support. The A1 wins here too. The engine is smooth and responsive, and I really like the 8 speed auto gearbox. At 80mph you are barely turning 2k rpm. However, there is no cruise control which you would expect as standard on car like this. I experienced some wind whistle from the passenger side. The steering is a bit light but the car has the right balance of sport and comfort, and is more forgiving on the country lanes than the A1. But with the torque steer and tram lining in the ruts it was hard to push on uneven roads. Theres no real trip computer, surprising given the real time, current trip and long term info I get from my A1. The boot is enormous - underneath the shelf is a space saver spare tyre, no emergency foam here. Overall I'm surprised to say that I prefer my A1. The ergonomics and cabin are better, and although the A5 has superior motorway performance, in the countryside where I live the smaller A1 is more nimble. In all, I expected mor

Ben Wright, May 17th 2013

TDI 245 Quattro S Line 5dr

I opted for the Black Edition, which is only recently available, What Car, a little behind? Owned the car for 3 months, and just turned 4k miles. Really loosened up, averaged over 53mpg @ an average of 62 mph over 376 miles today, so more than happy. Car looks stunning, admiring glances all round. Plenty of space, apart from middle seat in the back, but this is rarely used. Cruises like a dream, quiet, smooth etc? You do have to spec the car carefully, and some extras, frankly should be std on a Β£40k plus car! Went for drive assist with variable suspension etc, well worth it, goes from super comfortable to sports coupe at the press of a button. Not required a drop of oil so not sure why the other reviewer has an issue. As usual looked at other options, BMW, Merc, Jag etc, but until they introduce 4 wheel drive, and match the Audi's quality, there is nothing that comes close.

SIMON RIGG, Warwickshire, February 26th 2013

TDI 177 S Line 2dr

Have one of these for test drive over the weekend, so initial thoughts. Am actually looking to get a Sportback with this engine in SE Tecknic Trim. So: Good Points: Looks Stunning Wonderful build quality Performance and handling good. Bad Points: The ride is terrible and I mean shocking. You feel everything shoot through the body of the car and you get shaken and rattled about. So I will need to test drive the SE Trim which has supposedly a better ride. Ok the car wont look as good as an S line model but am an age where comfort means more than posing, which seems to be the main reason for the S line! Also as a musician upgrade to the B and O system. The standard one on test here is OK but not great. If only the 3 Series or C Class had a hatchback version. ( I dont like estates and need space for my drumkit!!)

Graham Curtis, dorset, May 13th 2012

T FSI Quattro SE 5dr S Tronic

It is an excellent car, in fact the best car I have ever owned. It is used as a family car at the weekends, but a company car during the week, and it works really well in both roles. The drive is excellent, the quality is near perfect, and the performance is superb, really quick (I have the 2.0 TFSI with the 211 PS engine). My one big complaint with the car, and the reason why I believe it only deserves a 2 star rating, is that the engine oil consumption is incredible! In the first 2500 I needed to top the oil up, I thought it was a mistake, but actually that was the best is has ever been, now I am using 1 litre of oil every 1500 miles (the car has now done 22,000 miles, one year old). I have had this checked twice by Audi, but they say that it is within manufacturer's tolerance, the consumption has to be at least 1 litre every 1000 miles before it is a cause for concern. I find this incredible, my 1969 Triumph Herald used to be a lot better than this. Also, Audi insist that the car must have the special Audi-Shell oil formulation, which costs Β£20/litre. Thankfully it is a company car so I do not have to pay for the oil, but if it was a private car I would be quite annoyed at this significant extra cost. Apart from this serious design engine design fault, the car is near perfect.

Matthew Aldridge, Northants, March 24th 2012

T FSI 2dr

I replaced my 2004 BMW 318 Ci cabrio (automatic) with an A5 3.0 TDI cabrio. The only disappointment so far is the Audi's performance in snow - Quattro or not, with those huge 19" low-profile tyres(and the enormous torque from the 3.0 oil-burner) it is hopeless. At least with the BMW's auto box you could select and hold a high gear - with the Audi's you can't. Apoart from that, I have no worries about the suspension and steering - maybe it's my laid-back driving style but I haven't noticed a great difference from my E46 BMW. Economy is stunning - on a good run it (Edinburgh to London) at legal speed limits it returned over 40 mpg; even around town it returns 30+. The BMW was in the region of 36 mpg on a long run and 17 mpg around Jersey. The A5 is big, roomy and comfortable. Cloth roof means that it is a practical touring convertible - I took one look at the boot of the new BMW 3-series with the roof down and left the showroom. I have the optional accoustic roof and roof up or down, it seems no noisier than the BMW. I bought the BMW and the Audi for motoring holidays in Europe - I took the BMW as far as Istanbul and Athens and, in time, I expect the Audi to go further. I even ordered a towbar on the A5 just in case I decided to tow my holiday accommodation with me - with all that torque and power it must be a pretty good tow car. 5 stars is perfection - few cars reach that and the A5 isn't perfect, but I'm happy to give it 4+.

Simon Brooke, JERSEY, March 13th 2011

TDI Quattro Sport 2dr

I've had this car for over a year, & for the 1st time ever I plan on keeping this car for longer than 12 months (I'm that sure of it I've just given Audi Β£800 to extend the warranty). This car is brilliant to drive. It has great acceleration and performance, especially on the motorway. Fast, yet quiet and refined (there's no way you can tell it's a diesel). Corners are also dealt with very easily with minimal body-roll and an assured level of grip from the 'Quattro' system. The running costs would have been a 5* up to last October but Audi diesel engines all seem to take a big hit in mpg during the cold. I was regularly averaging nearly 40mpg on a 10 mile commute but over the winter this dropped to 30mpg. I suppose not bad for a 3.0 but still a little unexpected (although the warmer spring weather has meant it is gradually getting back up to high 30's). Inside the car the materials are excellent & the quality up there with the best cars I have driven. The Sat Nav is easy to use & usually routes well. The ipod interface is brilliant (iPod hidden in the glove box and yet all functionality is controllable by the audi multimedia interface). The back seats are ok, but if you're thinking of an A5 it probably isnt for a family with 2 teenagers. My 3yr old sits on her booster seat in the back & has few complaints - and i have no problems getting her there. Related to that, the boot is very big for a coupe and easily handled a weeks luggage for 3! Overall, I love the A5

Chris Gibson, Lancashire, March 7th 2011

TDI Quattro 2dr

Lovely car, but with only 1500 characters to write this review, I’ll just describe one serious design fault: This is a potentially DANGEROUS car. With its electro-mechanical parking brake system, it is all too easy to park with no brake applied. Why? You never need to release the parking brake – it’s automatic. You don’t even need to apply the brake if you’ve been using Hill Start Assist – it’s automatic. When you use this feature, you can get out of the car without touching the parking brake switch - it’s already applied. The trouble is when you haven’t been using HSA. I’ve left my car a few times without the brake applied and so have Audi's service staff! Sooner or later an A5 (or other Audi with this braking system) will be left without the brake applied and it will roll down a hill and kill people. Audi could so easily resolve this potentially dangerous situation with a simple software upgrade. The braking system knows when the vehicle is stationery and it knows when you turn off the ignition or open to driver’s door. With this information, it should ALWAYS apply the parking brake when these conditions are recognised. Rant over – otherwise it’s a fabulous car to drive, admired by others, goes like a train, and is stuffed with loads of complicated-to-operate gizmos.

Peter Cawson, November 13th 2008

Quattro 2dr S Tronic

This is a gorgeous car with a beautifully sculpted body, and the general shape of the car. This car certainly doesn't look cheap, it is a work of art. The front is both classy and aggressive, the back looks less good, but the 4 exhausts certainly make up for some of the lack of ambition there. The extra sideskirts, little extra bits on the back and front also add to the appealing looks. People ask me all the time how much it costs and when I tell them it would sell for Β£48,000 new, they say that's cheap! Now for the drive, and here is where you may be surprised. Yes it is fast, yes it sounds delightfully monster-esque, yes it handles brilliantly and feels extremely stable but it also feels heavy and you just wonder why it is so boring when you're hitting 80mph. It feels heavy because it IS heavy at 1630kg, but quality is always heavy. I can't quite explain it, but when you're going flat out in it, it just seems tedious and pointless. You're just wasting fuel! You'll get a mere 250 miles for a full tank if you drive it like an old man with the occasional go at the throttle - for a 63L tank, that's poor. I'm not saying I don't love driving it! I just think it makes you grow up and understand that it is not a racing car. It is a gorgeous looking cruiser that has oodles of extra grunt if required.

Ahmad Qadan, Middlesex, October 28th 2008

Quattro 2dr

Ahmad Qadan, Middlesex, October 28th 2008

TDI Quattro 2dr

I wanted this car pretty much from the first time I saw one on the road. It took me quite some time to find one in the price range that I wanted for my budget, and also with the spec that I wanted. There are not many of them around, even on the Audi stockmarket so you need to prepare to perserve. I'm so glad that I did because this car is absolutely superb. It is a joy to drive and it looks absolutely awesome (mine is in Ice Silver). You need to get larger than the stock 17" alloys on as they just don't look right. It's beautiful inside and feels totally quality and solid, but the best thing is the car is a real headturner and people actually look at you in it as you drive past. It makes you feel like you've chosen a really stylish car, which basically you have. Please, please don't bother with a boring looking BMW and get one of these - you won't regret it.

Richard Ward, Durham, September 3rd 2008

T FSI Sport 2dr

I have owned my new A5 for about 8 weeks and have found an excellent vehicle. I moved from a diesel discovery that was returning on average 23mpg and was happy to find the A5 consistently return 32mpg. However; upon reading Irvine Crightons review I sent an E-mail to my local dealer (also his dealer) to enquire about the recall. I was advised my vehicle was not subject to that recall but would "need" to undergo a "Software" upgrade. However; there was apparently no need for it to be carried out until the next service. After checking the vehicles service indicator I found the first time the car would be back to the dealership would be for a scheduled oil change in approx a year and a halfs time. I decided that was too lond to wait and booked the car in for that upgrade. The vehicle now returns 39mpg that means on average I will get an extra 100 miles out of every tank of petrol. Therefore, I would urge any owners of the 1.8TFSI to have that work carried out immediately. I have no idea why Audi are not informing owners. If it were not for that chance reading of Mr Crichtons review my fuel bill would have been considerable higher than it needed to be. After all the upgrade only took approx 30 mins.

John Clarke, Aberdeenshire, June 7th 2008

TDI Quattro Sport 2dr

Awesome drive! I own a A4 Cabriolet 2.0T sport. The A5 makes it feel like a pram. Great all round, if you are over 5'5" and or about 10stones, dont even try getting in the back unless you have someone driving who is less than 4'6" and needs to sit on the dashboard to see out.

Peter Williams, May 17th 2008

TDI Sport 2dr Multitronic

Looked at a BMW Coupe, a Merc etc and was getting bored and considering not changing my car. Then I spotted the A5 and instantly new this was the car for me, what looks. I was not let down by the interior either, the BMW coupe was forgettable but the Audi was modern with some design and a retro style around the dials etc. The competition for me was blown away. I bought a demonstrator, due to the long wait time for a new one. I have not been disappointed, it drives great and oozes quality. Lot's of smooth power, seemless gear changes from the auto box, great cornering etc etc. You get the picture.

Mike Hornsby, Merseyside, May 2nd 2008

T FSI Sport 2dr

After driving 3 Audi A6’s in succession I decided to relive my youth and so I bought a new 2007 Audi TT 2.0T FSi but after two months found it to be not practical for my lifestyle so ordered a 1.8T FSi Audi A5 Coupe in November 2007 and delivery took place on 1st March 2008. Car ordered with following options - Xenon day time running lights, metallic paint, 19'' Y spoke alloys, 6 CD system, Homelink system, Interior light package, cruise control. Car delivered on 1st March 08’ plate and no faults on delivery. Car has covered 2000 miles in its first two months and economy has not been as good as stated in the information from Audi - best so far has been 35 mpg which is still excellent for such a large car. Car taken in for a Recall by Audi which required replacement water pipe and replacement ECU unit. Car performs much better with more responsive acceleration and economy now reading 43 mpg. Had two longer journeys and car was just effortless to drive and a privilege to own. Can't say enough praise about this car - have owned A3's, A4's, several A6's and a new style TT - so am probably Audi stamped but I did test drive BMW's and Mercs but still came back to Audi. The car to take out of the showroom was just under the 31K mark but worth every single penny of my hard earned cash. As said previously, a privilege to own and to drive.

Irvine Crighton, Aberdeenshire, April 27th 2008

T FSI Sport 2dr

I very nearly opted for a 3 Series Coupe, though the amount of them about made me think again. I love the looks of the A5 and was close to ordering a 3.0 TDi, though the company car tax implications for the next three years made me think hard. Then Audi launched the 1.8 TFSi and I went ahead and ordered. I have had the car for 3 weeks now and am thoroughly impressed. It has a decent exhaust note, good looks and good equipment levels, too. I have no hesitation in recommending it!

Mike Clarke, Oxon, April 17th 2008

TDI Quattro Sport 2dr

I went to BMW, and they never rang me back with Β£40,000 to spend, so I recently bought an A5, and have owned it for one week. It's a fantastic car to drive, and a head-turner as well. The engine is smooth and powerful and the car is great out of corners. Comfort is hard to fault. I sat in the back once, but will not do it again - it took 2 minutes to get out. Extras are expensive and it's hard work getting a half-decent deal, even on an ex-demonstrator.

Colin Hunt, April 2nd 2008