TDI Quattro SE Executive LWB 4dr Tip Auto

Bought the car from an Audi main dealer at 12 months old / 11,000miles. Thoroughly sold on the sleek but conservative exterior appearance (almost manages coupe roofline on long wheelbase version) and stunning interior. After 6 months ownership it's still an absolute pleasure to get into the car every time. Relative to last two 7 series it's both more comfortable and quieter, and the 3.0 diesel is certainly quick. Pleasantly surprised to be able to achieve average consumption over 40mpg in daily use (M25 commuting). With the comfort seats, there seems to be an infinite degree of adjustment to get comfortable initially, with good firmness to ensure long term comfort too. Online sat-nav, hard disk media system, in-car WiFi, cameras/parking aids & bluetooth telephone interface all work really well - no complaints whatsoever.

Peter Ray, Bucks, November 18th 2013

TDI Quattro SE Executive 4dr Tip Auto

I bought this car when it was 16 months old from main Audi dealer. Before this I've owned two BMW series 7, BMW 535d, Merc CLS 320d Brabus conversion and a few others, inc two Jaguar XJ saloons.I attended an Audi open day and drove an A8 saloon 3litre.I then drove a 4.2 TDi and was absolutely impressed! I ended up buying one (from another dealer) as I wanted a very high spec. Having said that the 'standard' V8 A8 spec is impressive. I have had this car now for over 18 months and it has been a real pleasure! The build quality is excellent and extras fitted are awesome. Media system is fantastic. Acceleration 5.5 secs 0-60mph; never reach the top speed with this silky smooth V8 turbo diesel. The 4 wheel drive handling is good and variable settings for the car's suspension and drive adaptability cover the spectrum of need for all driving styles. There seems to be a real prestige value with this car, and with a blue/black exterior and beige interior it looks stunning. 20" wheels would not be my first choice as they are less forgiving than std 19". However, a small price to pay. The 29.8 average mpg is not great, but for a car of this size it's ok. On a run I can get around 34mpg, and that's not hanging about either. I had one problem with the sports differential, but this was resolved under warranty with the main dealer. Tyres are not cheap but shop around@ Β£145-240 tyre. I would certainly consider buying another Audi. Overall quality and ride are excellent; a great drive!

Barrie Driscoll, Wiltshire, September 25th 2013

TDI Quattro SE Executive 4dr Tip Auto

I have had my new A8 4.2TDi for about 2 months now, following a previous model A8 3.0TDi. In a number of respects the new A8 is not as good as the old A8. The new A8 is 75mm longer yet contrives to have both less rear legroom and significantly less boot space. Obviously I knew this when I ordered my new A8 but it is only after 2 months of use that I realise quite how much of a difference there is. Then there are the seats. I paid extra for comfort seats in my new A8; I find them significantly less comfortable than the sports seats in my old A8. The problem is the seat base which is quite narrow and the side bolsters are very short. Audi have saved a few bob here and it shows. The last issue I have with my new A8 is the bluetooth phone connection. In my old A8, the standard bluetooth connected my mobile phone to the roof mounted aerial and phone reception in the car was excellent. In the new A8, the standard bluetooth does not do this and only acts as a hands free system. You need to pay extra for the 'High' bluetooth system to get full bluetooth connectivity. Shame the Audi salesman didn't mention this to me. In other respects, the new A8 is an improvement. It handles better than the old A8 and is actually quite good fun on twisty roads, at least in dynamic mode. The performance of the 4.2TDi engine is formidable and it's a great overtaking tool. However, overall, it's a flawed car which is a shame because it needn't have been.

michael finch, bucks, October 24th 2011

TDI Quattro SE 4dr Tip Auto

What can i say about this car....Fantastic. I bought it for Β£20,000 5 months ago on a 56 plate with 27,500 on the clock, still under manufactures guarantee.I've been told by a few car dealers and local main Audi dealership that i've bagged a rare true bargain given its age,mileage and spec. This is my third Audi,needless to say i'm a fan but it wasn't my original choice.I actually wanted the A6 S-line which i still like but after test driving this i got to admit was hooked instantly. To me,from the glancing eye this car is very understated.Ok from the exterior it looks like your average luxury car but the real beauty reveals itself once the doors are open..Loads of space with an air of pure quality from the nappa leather seats,solar panelled sunroof,MMI,through to the keyless entry system. The comfort factor is perfect for that Sunday afternoon cruise or the long distanced journeys.Fuel economy can't be sniffed at either.I was pleasantly suprised that for such a big car I'd get the fuel consumption I do. As for the performance its great,not your adrenelined white knuckle ride but shift from auto to sports mode put your foot down wait a second and feel the kick down..effortlessly excellerate whilst feeling in complete control of the car.For such a big car it handles superbly. I haven't had any problems at all and am still loving every second of owning it and hopefully that won't change once my servicing costs begin.

Kevin Mason, January 28th 2009

FSI Quattro 4dr Tip Auto

I own a small rental company which allows me to change cars every few months. The last car I had was a Jaguar XF SV8 which was an excellent car that was both comfortable, fast and entertaining to drive. I took delivery of the S8 in October some 5200 miles ago. Initial impressions on delivery were that the interior is stunning to look at and impeccably made. The car is handsome but a little bland after the Jag, the paint and build quality is faultless however. The biggest difference in driving the S8 compared to the Jag is handling finesse, the Jag has the most fluid steering of any sporting saloon I have driven. The Handling was extemely well balanced also so on first drive the S8 seemed a little bloated. After having now driven the car for 4 months the feeling of being detached still remains, the grip however is superb. Comfort is suberb even with 20" wheels. Performance is quite breathtaking, especially the accelleration from 30 mph+. The interior is simply magnificent,everything is well crafted with a precision feel. The B&O sound system is on par with some the very best home Hi Fi systems I have heard. Overall I love the car but would like the steering feel of the Jag with the quality and grip of the S8. As a compromise however there is little to touch the S8 it is a supercar that seats 5 in luxury and does not have tempramental fits. If I may, please visit our website carsondemand.co.uk to see our flexible leasing deals, I may even be persuaded to lease the S8!

Paul Michael Brown, W Yorks, January 21st 2009

40V Quattro 4dr Auto

I bought a 98 plate with 73k on for Β£15k and sold it with 183k on for Β£4k. Now that is cheap luxury motoring! It was a fantastic car that just ate miles. Used to get 25mpg as lots of motorway cruising at 85mph. Amazing performance. The only difference between 70 and 140 was that the scenery went by faster! Watch for electric mirror motors failing, oil leaks and oil consumption on higher milers. Gear box is a sealed unit at Β£4k to replace, so any transmission issues, walk away. Fantastic car.

Simon Kent, Denbighshire, October 15th 2008

TDI Quattro SE 4dr Tip Auto

Purchased a two month old 3.0TDI SE, paid Β£15k less than list,great car for long journeys, very smooth and comfortable. Fuel consumption is pretty good. So far no problems with any aspect. Audi Whetstone good to deal with, Only major downside has to be residual values. Only very rich people would buy a new one. Comfort seats are great.

Colin Clare, Herts, May 8th 2008

TDI Quattro SE 4dr Tip Auto

I've just upgraded from the 4.0tdi to the 4.2tdi, and am just as happy with this one as the last. My 4.0tdi had 101k mls and just over 4yrs old, audi gave me Β£12k for it against the 1.5yr old 15k miles 4.2tdi at 36k, so they depreciate pretty quick. The loss of my trade was made up for with the new one being nearly half price after 18mths. Performance wise, there is a noticable difference at the top of the rev range. Has SE suspention instead of sport on old one, and is a far better ride. The 4.0tdi had a vibration through the car at low speeds when the wheel was on full lock. Dealer say it was normal but the new one doesnt do it. Wouldnt recommend my dealer at all. nice people, but highly disorganised, unable to order the correct parts, and not very knowledgable. Shame, the only drawback of a truly outstanding car.

Dax Byrne, Northants, April 4th 2008

TDI Quattro 4dr Tip Auto

Bought the car pre-registered with 75 miles on the clock. Never had a problem with it apart for a couple of manufacturer's recalls. Car is 4 years old, done 32000 miles and overall cost of owning and running the car has been 97p per mile. This is including depreciation, fuel, insurance, road tax, tyres (1 set) and loss of interest on the capital used to buy the car. Got 5 years warranty and service pack with the car, still 1 year to go for new owner, will now probably upgrade to a S8. Exellent dealer in Perth Audi!

Olav Skretteberg, January 27th 2008

TDI Quattro 4dr Tip Auto

I bought the car 6 months old as an ex demo in Dec 04. It has now covered 76,000 miles and the only major faults have been a blown turbo and glow plugs needing replacement which were done free of charge. The local dealership, Coventry Audi, have been superb with this and my previous A8 and S8 in all aspects. The car is simply excellent; it averages mid 30s mpg, performance is more than adequate as well as being extremely comfortable and well equipped. Servicing has been every 19,000 and it has needed new tyres every 25,000. The 5 year/75,000 mile service and maintenance pack has meant I have simply paid for fuel and tyres in 3 years which makes this a very cheap car to run until you include the depreciation. Any large car will suffer from this whichever German manufacturer you choose. I would normally change car every 18 - 24 months but this car is so good i can't justify it.

Charlie Cleverly, January 11th 2008

Quattro 4dr Tip Auto

I own a 2005 A8 W12 SWB and I must say it's an amazing car. From the voice control to adaptive cruise control, massage seats, fridge in the rear armrest and rear DVD entertainment system, Audi has made sure this car wants for nothing. The W12 engine gives the car incredible performance despite the car weighing in at over two tonnes. This is the second A8 I have had - they are excellent vehicles. However, nothing is pefect - the fuel economy is only around 15mpg around town and the running costs and depreciation are steep. Buy second-hand - two-and-a-half years on, I paid Β£28,000 for my W12 SWB when the new price is Β£96,000!

Andy Mitchell, cheshire, December 9th 2007

4dr Multitronic

I thought I should re-dress the balance on the reviews so far, which don't seem to be that favourable. I bought a June 2004 model last August with nearly 90,000 miles and have put another 6,000 miles on it since. It's been an absolute joy to both own and drive since and I've not encountered any problems so far. My previous car was a Volvo S80 which I also liked, but the Audi is so much better in every way and surprisingly better on fuel too - It averages between 32 &35 mpg on the motorway at speeds of between 80 & 85 mph, which for such a big luxurious car is fantastic. The kids love it too with all that room in the back. So if you are considering buying one do it, you won't regret it.

Simon Gibbs, Wiltshire, November 23rd 2007

Quattro LWB 4dr Tip Auto

Always been a BMW Family with cars like X5 M3 and 745i and 730D, my wifes X5 was replaced with this 05 plate A8 LWB it is fantastic as cars go and if I could take the best bits from the 7 series and the best bits from the Audi then perfection could be possible. As the A8 is Audi's flagship vehicle you would expect it to be stunning and to drive it is the only problem is the quality, our vehicle has been in to many times and to be fair to audi and there dealer network they do try but this model seems flawed. It all came to a head when the A8 they loaned as a courtesy car was visited by roadside assistance for brake issues. Great car awful reliability, expect to be in the dealer a fair bit and you wont find the experience dissapointment! Also keep well clear of Manchester Audi as they tend to wash their hands of you when they supply a lemon, and there service is awful. Happy motoring. PS going back to BMW when this car dies or is sold!

Troy Baker, Denbighshire, October 29th 2007

TDI Quattro 4dr Tip Auto

I have owned this car since new and have had so many problems with the vehicle that Audi have given me a fourth years warranty free of charge. 41000 miles of frustration and disatisfaction not to mention depreciation !Full marks to the dealerships who are helpfull and good at what they do. Sadly my tale of woe is not uncommon --- bad show audi.

david blackhurst, kent, September 4th 2007

TDI Quattro Sport 4dr Tip Auto

A8 3.00 tdi sport The car is brilliant, no problems at all the residual values are dreadful, Audi are putting money into new A8s - this does not help. the dealer that supplied it wont entertain having it back its an 06-56 48k new 11 months later 28k offered in pex. if you change your car regularly DONT have an A8- you have been warned

Neil Espin, August 27th 2007

TDI Quattro 4dr Tip Auto

Owned from new and now nearly 2.5 years old with 35000 miles.Abour 30 mgg locally but I have managed 40 on along journeys at speed.Lovely car but plagued with too many problems but after sales service fine...it has hadto be!!!!!!!!!

andrew tweddle, durham, February 9th 2007

Quattro 4dr Tip Auto

A great car spoilt by niggling faults and appalling dealer service. This is my second A8 and 4th Audi so I guess I am a bit of a fan of the brand. I love the A8's comfort and looks and as I do 30000 mile a year in it this is a big bonus. Engine is responsive and reasonably economical (avg 27mpg on a 60% motorway mix) Handling is great on std 18" and the air suspension on this new D3 model makes a big difference over the previous model. On the downside this is the most unreliable Audi I have ever owned! Bought as an '05 ex demo with 6k it has since been in the garage 6 times for repairs including airbags x 2, boot hinge & motors x 2, wheel bearings all round, sat nav, engine misfire, trim rattles.... What makes it worse is the dealer service, every time there is a fault it is a 2-3 week delay to book it in, they then need to order parts (2-3 weeks) and then I have to re-book when the parts arrive wich takes - guess what 2-3 weeks - Given I use this car daily for work this is a real pain. My summary, I love the car but cannot live with the number of faults and dealer service - it is simply off the road for too long. If you aren't doing high mileage of want a less ostentatious limo than an S class or "ugly" 7 series an A8 has to be considered, but vet the local dealer first - you will be seeing a lot of him!!

Paul Major, January 20th 2007

TDI Quattro SE 4dr Tip Auto

I traded in my Audi A8 3.0 TDI during December. I moved back to the new V8 diesel Range Rover Vogue after being impressed with a test drive with the new engine and getting out of the company car scheme. Once you have driven Range Rovers, it is hard to go back, but I did try it and I have only two points to make on the A8. As Clarkson pointed out in a review, and I still failed to heed... lose the big wheels, it kills the ride comfort. Also, depreciation is a massive killer to the model. My dealer offered me Β£27,500 after 15 months of ownership and 22,000 miles (and one service)... It lost 50% of its value!

Neville Brooker, Kent, January 2nd 2007

TDI Quattro Sport 4dr Tip Auto

I have had this car for two weeks now and it's the best car I have ever driven. I get 36mpg on a run and 32mpg around town. It flies when only revving at 3500rpm and it is very quiet in the cabin. It's the best car out there.

john middleweek, norfolk, September 17th 2006

TDI Quattro 4dr Tip Auto

Further to my previous review (040906) Audi offered a 4th warranted year as compensation for the then unresolved vibration problem. This was later corrected after intensive work done by Basingstoke Audi who were polite and very helpful throughout. The car has since covered a further 15000 miles uneventfully. Tried the S.8 for a week but despite being an exhilarating drive I will get another A.8 diesel to replace my current model.

david evans, berks, September 4th 2006