2.0 S 4dr

This is my 2nd IS200 se this one is older than my other one and it's an auto . The manual was good but not as quick as its 153 bop would suggest but in auto guise it's fantastic. I instantly regretted selling the first one and will not be parting with this one in a hurry , if you only have around a Β£1000 to spend and don't want mainstream mundane motoring then look for a low mileage is200 I got this one on the w plate with 71k with full Lexus service history for Β£850 by the time I have put a private plate on it no one will know what year place it is

David Keeling, Derbyshire , April 12th 2014

4dr

In hindsight you could not get better. Ok fine it costs an extra 5 pounds a week to fill up, so thats what a 150-200 a year. Its peerless reliability and comfort. We have not spent Β£1 on repairs compared to my diesel accord which was a disaster. And I have had two accords with problems. Lexus is220d One of the best second hand cars you can get. Period

Sean Orlov, August 17th 2012

d 4dr [Multimedia]

See review below! For some reason the average mpg didn't register? Best I got was 46mpg, worst was 36mpg.

Michael Corlett, April 16th 2012

d 4dr

Potentially a really good car spoiled. It is surprisingly quick and has fair economy. The cabin build quality and equipment provided is good. Also on the plus side it has been reliable. The engine and gearbox let the car down. The engine is rough at low revs and particularly coarse when it is idling at traffic lights. Sometimes there is so much vibration that the door mirrors shake - this makes the Lexus a very unpleasant place to be. The gearbox is very clunky going into second and third, and the gear ratios are all wrong - you need to be going well above the maximum UK speed limit to get it into 6th gear. Lexus are not interested in the problems with the gear change or the vibrations from the engine. I would not buy another.

Steven Crichton, February 2nd 2012

d SE 4dr [2009] [148g/km]

This is a frustrating car, In terms of looks its the prettiest car money can buy (apart from the 159 ). So Lexus got the looks part 100% The suspension is perfect as well - you don't feel any road imperfections ever. So Lexus got that 100% Equipment as standard very good - 100% Gearbox - the most awful gearbox, a Hyundai has a better one - the gearing is garbage. Oh but its for better fuel economy. Really - that is BS. The turbo lag is dreadful. And Toyota can make decent gearboxes. The avensis has a good gear box and actually at lower speeds felt a lot more gutsy. How could they do this. Yes, they have not introduced an F sport gearbox but the average joe expects a functional gearbox with or without an F! Fuel economy - poor, this is my Mrs car and it avarages 25 MPG when her last car a megane 1.5dci was averaging 43 driven identically. And the megane saloon was not a light car either. It can get 40 MPG on the run if you don't push it though. Even though the car has a 2.2 diesel producing 177 it actually feels slower than a 1.9tdi PD from Skoda Octavia. It is a classic study of a car that would have routed off the 320d out as the top executive ( similar to what the LS did to Mercedes S in N.America in the 90's ) but it did not, they made the most beautiful car with the best handling and the worst engine and gearbox combination. what a pity! A new engine 200d is out but guess what the bloody thing is slower than this -please Lexus get your basics right.

Sean Orlov, March 20th 2011

d SE 4dr [Multimedia]

UPDATE, see review below. After battling with Lexus Stoke and Lexus GB, I have succeeded in rejecting the car!! After a face-to-face meeting with the centre manager and sales manager of Lexus Stoke at my own premises, they have eventually agreed that my car was below the average one would expect of a Lexus. To anyone wishing to do the same, my advice is be fair but firm, consistent in your arguments, and above all, RECORD everything. I actually recorded the face to face meeting, and was able to use the guys' own words to my advantage. When recording meeetings though, be sure to advise that you are doing so. In short, if the car does not live up to your expectations, or their promises, you CAN reject it. It might take a while (14 weeks in my case), but it can be done.

James Ede, Staffiordshire, December 7th 2008

2.0 SE 4dr

I have had my Lexus is200 for just over a year now. It is the Se manual and i can honestly say it is by far the best car i have ever known. Driving it it feels safe even at 135 mph which the car does not stuggle to do even with four in the car. It has great levels of equipment. the only thing i can think of it having added would be a proper trip cpu and a aux port for mp3s. The running costs are expensive as is servicing. but it's all part of the lexus experience.

David Walker, November 22nd 2008

d 4dr

I bought this car second hand,06 reg. Initially no problems encountered. Lovely car to drive, v comfortable & loads of extras. However, after 4 months things started to go wrong. The airbag light showed alarm. I contacted Lexus Assist (very good service), and car had to be towed to garage (70 miles away). It transpired to be fault in seat belt, the garage also found a problem with the catalytic converter and replaced - 2K euro worth of parts. Whilst the car was in the garage I asked them to service (costly). 2 weeks later I got the car back, less than 2 weeks later the power steering failed. Luckily it was when I was reversing out of a car park space, a very nice gentleman assisted me as the car was too heavy for me to turn the wheel to get it back in to the parking space. the car had to go back to the garage - towed again 70miles away. The power steering rack had failed. 5k Euro worth of parts. The garage told me that they had had other IS220d's back with the same problems but never the same car in such a short space of time. the put it down to high mileage (64K km). I only owned the car 6-7 months and figured it was time to get rid of it. Too costly to maintain (luckily still under warranty when all these things happened). Plus not reliable. I had always thought lexus were very reliable but after all my experience I will never buy another. Very difficult to sell when I came to sell and depreciated more than any other car I had owned ( worse than Renault Laguna!)

C Humphreys, October 21st 2008

SE 4dr

I had planned to lease the diesel version, but two test drives convinced me this was not a good call: the gear box was loud and clunky, the turbo lag shocking and the 6th gear utterly pointless unless you want to break the motorway speed limit on a regualr basis.The engine just lacked any refinement, and the gear ratios were all over the place. That's the negative side. On the plus side, it's one of the best looking cars on the car, and I wanted to go with the Lexus. Step up the petrol auto: completely different piece of kit. Quiet, refined, powerful and worth the extra money against the diesel anyday of the week. On the average side, the boot space isn't great, the rear passenger space is limited, and on the diesel the handbrake is in a very strange position. Having read many of the reviews, I'm struggling a bit with people going on about the great interior quality.I don't beleive its sigificantly better than any other car in this price bracket, and dare I say, probably not as good as BMW. Again on the positive side, the 6 CD player is good to have, but the sound from all the speakers was OK without being as good as people were making out. So in conclusion, this is a very good car to drive,its looks great and I'm hoping its going to be a pleasure to own, as I've just ordered one.

PAUL SKEATES, October 10th 2008

2.0 SE 4dr

This is my 2nd lexus is200, having owned the sport version previously. The car is amazing to drive, have owned hondas, bmws in past none of them compare. The car is super reliable (touch wood), never had any issues, service from lexus stockport has been top notch. The only downside is fuel economy dont expect more than 275 miles to a full tank, however you save else where due to car being so reliable. hoping to buy lexus is250 next or the is-f if i win the lottery. Big up to all the lexus drivers

Imran Mohammed, October 10th 2008

2.0 4dr

The IS200 is very much an inoffensive car - Japanese reliability and build quality in an affordable to buy (if not to own) stylish package. However as it's now getting on a bit the car is really showing its age - from interior design and style to equipment. The worst thing about the car is the fuel economy - 20mpg urban is typical - not great for a car that just doesn't excite. The car feels nervous and unsure on motorways which doesn't inspire confidence. Having said that, it's a great car and you can bag a bargain in the showrooms - just not at the petrol pumps and road tax time.

Keith Wylie, September 25th 2008

d 4dr

Unsettled ride and noise, very poor gear change not a nice car to drive at all. Had VW passatfor 9 years was miles better than this.Poor to start at times. Service from Lexus not good.

Henry Gray, Scotland, September 15th 2008

2.0 SE 4dr

i have owned my 2001 SE auto since 2005 and after a 3 series BMW found it just as quick but sharper, lighter steering and better road grip.I always feel relaxed in the car and always finding excuses to drive it!I have had only one fault. a complete electrical failure, leaving me with just the engine running and 3rd gear only.turned out a bodge artist in the past had used a nail in the main supply fusible link and it burnt out both looms to the fuseboxes.the fuse was only Β£5.00!!otherwise absoluly first class .i cant find another car to by in its place.

barry osborne, kent, July 11th 2008

SE-L 4dr [Sunroof/Multimedia]

I have had this car for over two years now and it is well run in. I have driven it through France last year and will do the same this year. It is fully specified including the radar cruise control which is outstanding. I have previously owned Mercedes and BMW's (all of the Audi dealers that I visited prior to getting the Lexus were too indifferent to be bothered!). This is the best car I have ever owned. It drives so well even on our disgusting UK roads. After so long now I just take everything for granted including the superb iPod kit. It's only when I drive another car that I realise how excellent this Lexus is. It is so fast when you push it that I rarely even need to use the power range. The switchable auto box is very good and you need it as the two top auto gears are very light cruising gears as you will find out if you try a sharp turn in 6th gear! Being able to flip the gearlever into manual is so easy it becomes second nature and the driving experience is wonderful. Fuel consumption is well over 35 mpg if you use the super unleaded fuel. If I have a complaint it is that the wheels blacken almost instantly but that seems to happen with every modern car. Several of my friends have bought the same car and are equally delighted. Does Lexus pay commission?

Robert Blanchett, July 9th 2008

d Sport 4dr

I bought the IS 220D after an Audi A4 Avant, and was really looking forward to it. 60,000 miles in and the car has become a total nightmare. The infamous 5th injector is the main excuse, but it has now been in the garage 6 times in the last 2,000 stessful miles. I fear of driving any distance. When the car does inevitably break down, there are no mechanics offering a qualified opinion on what is actually wrong given that the indicator lights are genereic and can come on with a myriad of faults. Instead there are parts fitters who do what a diagnostic sheet seems to tell them without actually thinking that the same fault could be a different part in the engine. After the car broke down for the 5th time, the dealership suggested they would involve Lexus Technical in this. Too late. I'm sure later models will not have these faults, although there is a recall across the entire diesel range, but be very aware if you do high miles. I'm gutted as I wanted this car to be so good. Back to the Audi from September.

Paul Sanders, East Sussex, June 30th 2008

SE 4dr

I've had this car for a couple of months now. I previously drove an RX-8 for about two-and-a-half years. While looking to change, I test drove an Alfa GT 1.9 JTD, several 3 Series (old-shape 318i, 320d, new-shape 320i), Saab 9-3 Vector 1.9Tid, C-Class (old and new shape) before wandering over to Lexus Liverpool. I sat in a black SE with cream leather, and immediately let out a deep sigh, as if all my stresses had just been absorbed through the perforations in the seats! I pressed the start button, and the speedo and rev pointers lit up and did a fancy wave. I thought, 'hello'. I then put it into first and off I went. The angle of the gearstick is just right to relax your palm while waiting to change gears. When you're resting your palm there on the odd gears, just flick a finger forward and you can turn the stereo on. And let's not even get me started on the stereo. Everything in the cabin has been designed with the driver in mind. The beautiful thing about this car is how everything flows. The steering is perfect for the smoothness of the ride. The ride is smooth without being a sofa on wheels; there is just enough feel. The sound system is perfectly balanced. The full power of the V6 takes its time to kick in; allowing BMW-man by before you fly past him - to great effect. I just can't wait for the IS-F...

Jeevan Naidu, Merseyside, June 23rd 2008

Sport 4dr [Sunroof/Multimedia]

A family member of mine has just purchased this car, and I'm just back from taking it for a spin to the gas station. I'm managing about 26mpg which is pretty good. At least I'm not driving a V8 too much right now when gas is like $3.97 a gallon. I love everything about the car. I'd have it over a BMW and a Merc any day, but maybe not an Audi... and if you know anything about cars then you'd know why. You don't buy a Lexus for build quality and to be sensible, you buy it because you like it. For instance, you'd probably buy an Audi to be sensible.

T J Phillips, Lanarkshire, June 23rd 2008

SE 4dr [Multimedia]

Traded in old IS200 for a 250SE Auto and very pleased so far. Equipment levels very high although parking sensors recommended even with rear view camera. Steering too sharp around straight ahead position and lacking in a bit of feel. Economy very good if you take it easy and it's easy to get 30mpg - my old IS200 never did better than 27 mpg. No experience in respect of servicing costs to date. Super smooth engine and gearbox make for a good drive which can be livened up in sports mode when required. A 3 series would undoubtedly provide more driver feedback but they look bland, are too common and don;t have he toys.

Andrew Ward, June 8th 2008

SE 4dr [Multimedia]

I've had my IS for over a year now and overall I've been very impressed. I'm glad I went for the petrol as it suits the Lexus perfectly (it's silky smooth and very quiet) and it works well with the 6-speed auto, especially in sport mode. The 2.5 V6 does lack power and torque though which means you have to work the engine quite hard. I wish they'd bought the IS350 out in the UK. The handling is pretty good. The rear can feel a touch twitchy on the limit - a bit like an old-school BMW 3-er - and it turns in keenly with very accurate (albeit numb) steering. The ride is quite firm and it can seem fidgety on poor surfaces, but it's by no means poor. The MM package is superb: great stereo, super-quick and clear Blue-tooth connection for your phone, very useful reversing camera and faultless Sat Nav. I haven't used the voice control though. Build quality is great and the interior is exquisite apart from a few things - particularly the awful '80's LED digital clock and the passenger airbag on/off display. There is no mistaking the interior style as anything other than Japanese - but it's a Japanese car so what d'ya expect ;) You do sit a little high in the car but as the window line is quite high, it's no issue. Huge wing mirrors give great visibility but do ruin the external lines a touch. Good thing they can be folded away. I also like the keyless entry & heated/ventilated seats. Finally, the economy is impressive. It's easy to get 35 mpg on a motorway run.

Parminder Guraya, June 5th 2008

d 4dr [Multimedia]

I have owned my IS220D S for just under two years covering 33,000 miles. I genuinely like the look of the car, which for me is an important factor. The Lexus dealership has been excellent and has raised my expectations from other manufacturers. In the cabin - It is fair to say that the quality of materials, soft feel plastics and the way they fit together are very good. However on a prestigious brand my β€˜niggles’ on this model are as follows: 1. The optional Multimedia pack includes a rear view camera. They would be better to include the rear audible parking sensors and offer the β€˜gimmicky’ camera as an option. To balance my view on the Multimedia pack the Mark Levinson surround sound system and Bluetooth touch screen phone is superb. 2. I have used 6th gear twice, as under 85mph it simply labours the engine, to the point that it vibrates the rear view mirror so that it can not be used. 3. On the S model there is no lumber support on either the drivers or passenger seats! On long journeys the lack of adjustment can cause back ache. Strange on a car costing Β£23,000 4. Road noise, on average UK road surface’s noise is a little intrusive. 5. The clutch is too heavy and after a few hours in congested traffic it is noticeable. If the niggles mentioned above and an automatic gearbox (my next requirement)were to be resolved, I would stay with this model.

David Whorwood, April 15th 2008