Authentique 5dr [Euro 4]

I bought this car in September 2005 new, this is my second Scenic 1.6 vvt it does its job very well. I have been looking to replace it for the last two years and have not found anything yet. Looked at Honda CRV Toyota RAV Nissan Quasqui etc still not found what I wish yet. Renault has done 65000 and has not been off the road in all this time very reliable, I service it every year approx 9000 miles put top grade oil in it and service the brakes every year also. So if anyone can help me in replaceing this good going renault give me a buzz. Buy the way I had my old Scenic for 5 years and no problems with it. Regards Andy.

andy green, stirlingshire, May 15th 2013

VVT Privilege 5dr [Euro 4]

2.0 vvti grand scenic Purchased the car two years ago and the car has done 40000 miles. clutch failed due to fly wheel bearings and destroyed the slave cylinder, sadly the designers felt the best place to house this part in the gearbox housing and so gearbox removal to fix.. nice! cost to fix. Β£1100 Cam belt replace due at 72000 or 5 years cost Β£450 Radiator leak at weld join cost Β£545 Repair costs are so high because of accessibility (probably because of design for crash safety )

mike taylor, wirral, August 29th 2012

VVT Dynamique 5dr [Euro 4]

Mine is a 56 plate automatic with 7 seats. Is ok to drive for an MPV. Very comfortable, good layout of controls. Have found it quite cheap to run, mine is an automatic and has the 2 litre engine but still averages 33mpg which is reasonable for the size of the car. Insurance is fairly low. Hear reports about reliability of renault but mine has never gone wrong in any way, everything works perfect and as nothing has ever needed replacing in 3 yrs this has made it cheap to run. Is quite practical can seat 5 adults very comfortably, rear 2 seats best for kids upto about age 12-14. All the seat move back and forwards independently and fold either away or forwards. Materials are tough, has survived the kids where as previous mercedes MPV fell to pieces within weeks. Has been a good buy.

darren parker, Lincs, April 10th 2012

dCi 106 Expression 5dr

I rented this car on holiday. It was stylish and seemed well made and plush inside, and the dashboard screen looked cool. It combined a smooth ride with decent handling and was impressively quiet and smooth. Performance from the small engine was OK once you got the turbo spinning but slower than a milkfloat at low revs, and it didn't use much fuel. On the downside the electronic parking brake was operated with a flimsy plastic switch that didn't inspire much confidence, but the worst thing was the lack of rear space. The rear seats were all rather cramped, the worst being the narrow middle one which was compromised further because this car had a big storage box between the front seats that extended back to nearly touch the middle rear seat, taking up all of its legroom. That's a bit of a fiasco in a car that's supposed to be aimed at families and I am suprised that Renault could get the Scenic so wrong in its third generation. My own Citroen Xsara Picasso is an older model that feels less plush and doesn't like corners, but its engine is more flexible and it seats five in comfort, making the Scenic look rather silly as a family car.

David James, Surrey, August 14th 2011

VVT Dynamique 5dr [Euro 4]

I bought a 3 year old (55) Grand Scenic Auto 2.0 petrol and paid Β£5000. Great value but I went into it with my eyes open, I had read the horror stories, so opted for a two year warranty from the AA (Β£450) I checked that it covered the Digital dash and the auto gearbox as I was most worried about these. The car drives great, is practical, lots of cubby holes and although it seems cheap in places my first impression was very good. The auto is jerky and slow changing particularly up or down hills and it feels like it needs one more gear on long runs (3000 revs @ 60mph), 35mpg is okay for an auto petrol, its quiet, easy to park and a good stereo, steering and brakes are fine, so overall I was thinking this is a bargain and pleased with myself and then the dashboard went out, no fuel gauge, stereo, speedo....nothing. Usual comments apply Renault would love to see you Β£800+ try to find a smaller garage who know someone who can set the replacement dashbord up (it still has to go to Renault for programming Β£175)so budget for Β£600 minimum, all but the Renault bit is able to be claimed back from the warranty so after 3 months of ownership my AA policy is nearly paid for. Take my advice and take a policy out if you are buying these cars and then you may, just may enjoy ownership. Despite all of this I like the car and Renault get alot right but who even likes the digital display anyway? Time will tell whether I will buy another one, reliability is the key!

Andrew MacDonald, Essex, February 11th 2009

VVT Privilege 5dr

I have owned three Scenic's since 1997, all two litre auto's.During that time,I HAVE NOT HAD ONE SINGLE FAULT WITH ANY ONE OF THEM.I must say the local dealership has improved greatly over the last few years. Now it is excellent. The present one, bought in March 2008 is superb!! The build quality both inside and out is brilliant as is the wonderful quiet ride and the amazing refinement. A friend who has recently purchased a C class Merecedes says the interior of the Scenic in Priviledge form is better than his Merc. Well done Renault!!! (And yes I have bought new BMW's and Mercedes in the past and no I do not have any connection with the motor trade.

John Wightman, South glamorgan, February 6th 2009

16V RT 5dr

I bought my Scenic new back in 1999 and it has been in daily use ever since. Not much has gone wrong with the car in the past 10 years. It has had a couple of new batteries,exhausts,a new drivers electric window mechanism.....and I cannot think of anything else other than normal service parts such as brake linings and tyres. The red paintwork still polishes up well (although it does not get polished very often). Being 10 years old, it is starting to show its age but is still a pleasure to drive. When I bought the car I thought that I would probably keep it for 6 or 7 years, but its reliability has secured its place on my driveway. I stopped using Renault dealers after the warranty expired, as I was not impressed with the quality of service and all my servicing is now carried out by a local independant garage.

Neil McGrath, Kent, January 15th 2009

dCi 100 Dynamique 5dr

Where to start - when we first collected the "car" from sheffield it got 20 mins down the motorway before the drivers side door clanked & the window fell down! Wife had to drive home holding the window up. Within the first year both key cards stopped working at the same time (according to the dealership it was the cards & not the slot or electronics?!?!) & we had to wait 2 weeks to get new ones from France (they don't make or store them in the UK). The car wasn't drivable for the entire time and the utterly appalling service we received from Renault UK in refusing to provide a courtesy car meant we had to fork out Β£200 for a hire car. Before the car was 2 years old a problem with the electronics meant it kept cutting out when trying to start the engine. persisted on & off for a couple of weeks before we made the grave error of driving through a puddle on a rainy day (yes really) & after arriving home we came out of the house an hour or so later to find the car appeared to be possessed. the radio was blaring, the lights were on, the windscreen wipers were going ten to the dozen & the car was locking & unlocking itself around 150 times a minute. This continued until the battery died completely as we could not start, stop or change anything. Car was recovered to dealer - they sent it back - having kept it for two days (again no courtesy car) with the stunning diagnosis of - - - NOTHING WRONG!!!. Finally turbo blew 6 mnths ago - cant wait to dump this heap of junk.

Richard Lilwall, January 5th 2009

16V Expression 5dr

I am no car expert/enthusiast but this is everything I need in a car but don't want - school runs, economical, spacious. I hate it!! Can't afford any other car though so I'll have to make do. The seatbelts are absolutely awful, constantly twisting and the socket is so far down into the seats that it is very difficult to insert them. Also despite being three seats at the rear, it is still difficult to fit three booster seats comfortably at the back although compared to most cars they are better. I have had the car for 2 years and overall it has been reliable but it isn't a comfortable drive for twisty country roads, gears don't change smoothly. I had had it to the garage a few times in two years which is more than I did with a Polo in 5!! Overall can't complain but I am a car snob and don't wish to be seen in one again!!

caroline mckinney, Antrim, December 20th 2008

VVT Dynamique 5dr [Euro 4]

I feel for all you people who own a scenic or grand scenic and are having problems with them. I wanted to write this review as my friend has a 1.6 100bhp dynamique and he's so happy with it. He has it on the motability scheme and I know if he has any trouble motability will sort it out, but he's had no problems at all with his scenic. I am being 100% truefull, MY FRIEND'S SCENIC IS 100% RELIABLE, with no issues what so ever. Anybody thinking of buying a scenic heres some advice. Wait for the all new scenic, look at the reliability of the all new megane,clio and laguna, their supurb. If you are weary of renaults RELIABILITY then consider a ford c-max or citroen c4 picasso for the scenic and a citroen c4 grand picasso or ford s-max for the grand scenic Look at the reviews for the citroen c4 picasso and ford c-max or s-max and see how they compare with the scenic

martin kirk, manchester, December 15th 2008

Authentique 5dr

This is our third Renault our cliio was brill and the first scenic we kept until it nearly fell apart. This one starts beautifully first time, but God help you if you want to use it again until the engine is clap cold! and then takes a long time to get up to speed, but once there cruises well. Electrics are a bl@@*y nightmare. Renault have you over a barrel with the warranty servicing - you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. CD/Radio control stalk stopped working, then radio stopped working. Dashboard has blanked and dealer charged Β£85 for diagnosis. Quoted circa Β£600 for repairs!!!!! But! "This is not a known fault" HUH - they ought to check the internet - found this fault reported by the hundred - no exaggeration. No more Renaults no NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

Teresa Beach, w yorks, November 17th 2008

VVT Expression 5dr [Euro 4]

I am in heaven. Got rid of this Renault wreckage a year ago today. Bought a Qashquai instead. I may not be able to spell it but we have not taken it back to the garage once, not even once. And every time we want to use it the coils don't fail, the windows go up and down like they should, the instruments work, the door handles remain on the doors, it doesn't cut out in heavy traffic and make you wait for 20 minutes before you can start again and we don't have a pile of panels on the back seat that have fallen off. The Scenic even broke down on the way to part-exchange it. Don't even think about it, I too suspect the hand of dealers in some of these reviews...

David Pincott, Kent, October 16th 2008

dCi Dynamique 5dr [Non FAP]

Renault Scenic 4 years old 49.000 miles. This car is a nightmare with constant repair bills for things that simply should not go wrong on a car of this age and mileage. On several occasions we have had trouble with the automatic hand brake sticking on, e.g. at traffic lights and when trying to pull away from a junction that is on a slight hill. This has caused my wife considerable anguish when she is out driving alone with our three children.. Further problems have included the indicators cancelling far too early, especially when turning right at a roundabout. The electric window at the back behind the driver’s seat has stuck down. And the electric motor needs replacing. The dreaded instrument cluster is also beginning to fail by flashing on and off. I dread to think how much this will all cost at our local Renault garage! If you insist on buying a second hand Renault Scenic, I can only give you this sound advice: buy a full extended warranty. I think this costs about Β£630 pounds a year, but believe me, this will save you money! I have read the good reviews below about this car and suspect strongly that they have been written by dealers. If you don’t believe how bad this car is, then search the many forums on the internet or type Renault Scenic fault into Google and you will be shocked. I only wish I had done this before I bought this heap of rubbish. Renault Customer Care, needless to say, don’t care!

Henry Sparkes, October 6th 2008

Dynamique 5dr

Hi Frank, I am really pleased for you, but if you read the reviews most people including myself are experiencing troubles after 3 years. I will be looking out for your future reviews as I can safely say they wont make good reading. Oh by the way my car WAS diesel and not petrol. My advice to you is to take out the extended warranty cos you sure as hell will need it!!! Happy motoring, Oh by the way my Zafira is lovely

arthur jones, west glamorgan, October 1st 2008

Dynamique 5dr [Euro 4]

We bought this car at 10 months old. No problems for 3 years under warranty, except the motor for the wipers went.In the past year I have paid out over Β£1800 pounds!! 04 model. Wipers motor has gone twice more, alternator, TURBO blew at 40,000 miles!! Cost nearly Β£1,000. Computer now (with water in) another renault fault. Replaced then blew again!!. Only been serviced and repaired at Renaullt garage, went in for new computer I was told price would be Β£267.00 but when they replaced it, blew again. They then rang me and said its going to cost Β£890.00!!! New battery etc etc. However after desperate calls to Customer Service pleading poverty as I am a pensioner who has been ill with cancer, I urge you all to do the same! I was given a Β£600 discount off the last bill. I am now changing the car for a mobility car. Zafira 7 seater. I cant sell this one private as I do not want to pass this heap of junk onto anyone else (who knows where I live) so I am only getting Β£3,000 for it. have had a really bad Scenic and would not reccommend one to anyone, even my worst enemey. Cant wait to get shot of it! Hopefully it will stay working for another 2 months to get me to garage when I pick up my new car!

arthur jones, west glamorgan, September 21st 2008

16V Sport Alize 5dr

This car has caused me no end of grief since the day we bought it back in 2005.The power steering has gone twice. Electric window on the driver side broke down. A real pain to start (sometimes I would be waiting for upto 20minutes) even had to call the AA out twice to fix. Service costs astronimical failed miserably on MOT every year. Finally the electric mirror mechanism overheated and melted the dashboard, and the interior of the door - insurance write off (in a way relieved!). Glad to be shot of this we will never buy a Renault again.

Barry Stimson, September 19th 2008

dCi Dynamique + 5dr

I bought this car 6 months ago, with a mileage of 50,000 on the clock. At first it was a lovely car & we took it on a few long trips - no problem. UNTIL..... the gears started to feel cluncky (sorry about my choice of words!), the garage confirmed that the Gear Linkage clip needed replacing - Apparently a common Scenic fault. No worries got that fixed under the warranty. In the meantime, the car broke down, it was taken to the same garage where is spent 6 wks. The fan belt had shredded and wrapped round the cam belt causing damage to the engine - a costly repair, which the warranty co were not prepared to pay out on. To cut a long story v.short. The car is now parked up needing a complete new gearbox and clutch. THE WARRANTY PROVIDED BY THE DEALER WASN@T WORTH THE PAPER IT WAS PRINTED ON, so buyer beware AND surprise, surprise the dealer doesn't want to know!! Why of why did I swap my little VW... Maybe it's time Scenic drivers startled to tackle the Renault head office - or better still WATCHDOG.

Kelly Mcnamara, September 6th 2008

VVT Dynamique 5dr [Euro 4]

PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT BUY A SECOND HAND RENAULT SCENIC!!! We bought our 4 year old Scenic in Dec 07, 48K miles. The list of repairs so far is: 1/New Cam sensor cost Β£713.00. 2/Coil - Renault advised this would cost Β£250.00, but I bought one myself for Β£19.88 and replaced it in 10 minutes.3/The indicators don't cancel properly. 4/WORST OF ALL - The instrument cluster (LCD dash display) has now failed completely which will cost Β£750.00 to replace (this is a common fault!). The electronics are appauling! Many of these repairs can only be carried our by a Renault garage because of their diagnostics tool, hence the expensive repair bills. RENAULT CUSTOMER SERVICES DO NOT WANT TO KNOW!!! I will never buy another Renault.

John Bouvier Bouvier, Oxon, September 3rd 2008

16V Fidji 5dr

i bought this car privatly 2 years ago, with 26k on the clock. apart from a broken rear shock absorber it has been a dream to own,reliable,economical and extremely practical. it replaced my ultra reliable old 19 which did 160,000 miles! i replaced the cambelt myself at 48k which was a bit difficult but worth it i hope. the rear shock absorber broke because there was only 5mm of weld holding the top mount to the rod!!?? i replaced it but then welded up the old one which so far has been very successful, i was told that a lot of garages are doing this simple repair too. i don't think i will replace the front tyres with the original michelins (Β£115 each!) but i know they have done at least 23K miles of hard cornering in this part of the world, and have worn well. all in all i realy like the car so much in fact that my wife has replaced her old 19 with an rx4.

alexander mackinnon, argyll, August 26th 2008

dCi Dynamique S 5dr

I have had the pleasure of owning a 2.0 DCi Grand Scenic for the last 10 months, and have used it to its fullest (Long distance, town, motorway & country roads). Ok the fuel economy is not the best but what do you expect for a 2.0l engine. I found this car a pleasure to drive with easy handling, and a smooth gear change, unlike the Zafira which I found to be heavy & tiresome on long distances. Storage is excellent and leg room in the 5 seat version is roomy. I have only two complaints about the car is that the paint finish is not that durable in the metallics, every slight scratch goes through to the primer coat, and the heating/cooling on level 3 is bearly audible then turn to level four and you're in a fighter jet!! But for an MPV its a good value car that I found to be reliable (never had any problems at all) and a joy to drive.

Ruth Benton, West Sussex, August 16th 2008