Volvo XC70 Owner reviews

SE 5dr

Comfort, Practicability and Power redefined. In comparison to its smaller sister, the V70 the XC70 gets a stiffer chassis, higher ride height, roomier cabin, four wheel drive, slightly larger boot and an incongruous plastic protective body kit. All engines for the XC70 do pack a punch, but the one in question and my favourite the 2.4 Diesel Geartronic, which compromises both economical fuel consumption averaging 35 MPG and power with 215 horses moving the car from 0-60 MPH in just under 8 seconds, with the gear changes being smooth but noticeable under full throttle. The ride of the XC70 is very comfortable and can be driven long distance with next to none 'stretch stops', however the body roll in sharp corners is bad, and it's bouncy on uneven country roads. Adaptive air suspension would have terminated this problem. The off road capability is good, but not good enough to for a life off-roading. This car definitely belongs on the motorway. The interior is luxurious and soothing with soft touch materials being used all round, it has an abundance of toys, gadgets and safety features including BLIS, City Safety and Volvo On Call. (Being a Volvo it also receives a 5 star Euro NCAP Safety rating.) Pros - Comfortable, Practical and easy to live with. Light steering makes it easy to drive and park. Abundance of safety equipment. Cons - Fuel economy Isn't Great. Expensive maintenance. Not a good drive on country road

Mark McKeeve, Renfrewshire, February 3rd 2015

SE 5dr

I bought this car in june 2013 second hand ,73,000 thousand on it ,se sport and it had been polestar done to it ,this car has every gadget in it ,I stick the cruise on and sit at 60 and I get 50 mpg on the motorway ,comefort wise top dog ,this car is superb ,the gentleman I bought from had it spotless and that alone sold this car ,the only fault was I would like sunglasses holder up front ,Volvo where have you been

Leo McCann, Scotland, July 26th 2013

[163] DRIVe SE 5dr 2WD [Lthr] [Start Stop]

Took delivery March 2012 after having the 4 wheel drive model.Find the 2 lt car an improvement for normal road driving and especially good on motorway.The mpg is at least 10mpg better than2.4 model .I find it hard to falt the car in any way ,the inside is top quality especially the leather heated seats,must be be the most comfortable on the roads.The dealership is ok but no more than that.I can highly recommend the car .

Dennis Green, sOUTH yORKSHIRE, April 8th 2012

SE 5dr

only took delivery 3 weeks ago, but this is an impressive car so far, ok. fuel consumption is average on local driving mid 30s on a par with previous laguna. however, the overall fit finish comfort and ride is superb as is pull from lovely volvo engine and smooth gearbox. steering could be sharper but no real complaints. it is loaded with nice features and the smell of the leather is great. i have been a volvo fan for many years and this is no exception. i look forward to many years with this car.

duncan morrison, suffolk, September 15th 2011

SE Lux 5dr

Having previously owned BMW X5 and various Audi's we test drove the Volvo XC70 and found it to be so good we ordered one. We took delivery in Sept 08 and have loved every minute of it since. The cabin is luxurious and comfortable on long and short journeys. The build quality is every bit as good as Volvo's reputation. We would like to take the opportunity to highly recommend Dan Hall from Ray Chapman motors in Malton North Yorkshire. His product knowledge is second to none and the customer service is excellent. This dealership made buying the car a throughly enjoyable experience from start to finish.

keith allport, nottinghamshire, September 29th 2008

SE Lux 5dr

I bought this car over the internet as a pre registered 55 plate and have owned it for just over 2 1/2 years, having done ove 60,000 miles in that time. It does exactly what it says on the tin, it moves all your people and junk quickly quietly and comfortably, it is not, however an exiting drive, nor does it have that "look back" factor that is so importaint to me. Reliability is preety good with just two front shocks replaced under warrenty, and mpg in the high 30's However if you want a no-nonsence car that does the buisness with a little bit of off road traction thrown in , then this is it

christopher pouncey, North Yorkshire, July 13th 2008

SE Sport 5dr

There are very few vehicles on the market that offer the unique flexibility of the XC70. Long distance motorway cruiser, family wagon, country sports partner, winter beating all wheel drive and all with the benefit of Volvo safety. Sure this car will not drive as well as some of it's German cousins but Volvo is marketing it as an urban car that can double up as a sports activity vehicle at weekends and it does this very well! The only direct competitor is the Audi Allroad but with higher CO2 emissions who would risk a Β£25 per day cngestion charge! Subaru would get a look in if they had any dealers in centeral London. Having had 4 BMW's in a row I have just ordered an XC70 and look forward to reporting back in full and seeing whether it really can be Jack of All Trades? Also the dealers I have dealt with have been extremely helpful and actually know a great deal about their product which is quite rare these days.

Richard Davey, June 26th 2008

D5 SE Lux 5dr Geartronic

I HAVE OWNED THIS 57 REG DIESEL (auto/manual) XC70 (CAME WITH FULL PACKAGE OF EXTRAS) SINCE SEPT 07 & I AM DELITED WITH HER. PREVIOUS CAR WAS XC90 (OF SIMILAR SPEC)WHICH WAS PURCHASED FOR TOWING CAPACITY, HOWEVER, I MUCH PREFER THE XC70 & NEW MODEL INCREASED CHASIS TOWING CAPACITY, IMPROVED CONSUMPTION FIGURES & GENERAL DRIVE-ABILITY MAKES IT IDEAL CARAVANER'S CAR. I TOW DOUBLE AXLE CARAVAN NEAR ON 1950 KG WHEN LOADED & CHRUISING @ LEGAL LIMIT + NO PROBLEM. ALSO VERY DRIVER FIENDLY WHEN NOT TOWING WITH GOOD HANDLING & POWER AVAILABILITY BETTER THAN THAT EXPERIENCED WITH THE XC90 OF SIMILAR SPEC. VOLVO QUALITY, SERVICE & RELIABILITY 99% ( I HAVE HAD VOLVOS FOR PAST 18 YRS RANGING FROM 740 ESTATE TO PRESENT). EACH TIME I HAVE CHANGED CAR I "LOOK" AT EQIVELANTS FROM OTHERS (CONCIDER A CHANGE !)BUT EVENTUALLY CAN'T BETTER THE VOLVO SOLUTION.

TREVOR BOWLER, May 16th 2008

SE Sport 5dr

One negative of the car is the overall weight which impacts every part of the cars dynamic performance.. it takes the edge of acceleration - makes the suspension work hard and requires big brakes to make it stop. Fuel consumption suffers..and more or less any form of driving ends up with 33mpg (manual). Positive is the sure footed handling. The interior is also excellent - both functionality and quality is decent - front are seats very comfortable - though rear seats seem more cramped due to the massive front seats. Loading space is exceptional and does everything you expect of a Volvo estate. CD player was delivered faulty - and took 3 visits to the dealership for this to be corrected - one involved complete wiping out of the entertainment system and losing all of the car data including navigation inputs. Dealership seemed lost with the problem. 4C Chassis seems a bit pointless idea since it is hardly a sports estate and some other things on the car are a bit odd in terms of functionality. The bodyshell does shake over potholes and considering the weight of the car this is surprising feature. Tyre noise from the Pirelli Scorpions is a factor at motorway speed - though overall the car is a very comfortable long tourer - shame the mpg isn't high 30's as it should be - limits the overall range of the car to around 500miles.

Richard Bardsley, Flanders, February 2nd 2008

D5 SE 5dr Geartronic

Had the car from new in August '04. Now completed 3 years and 50k miles without any problems, never missed a beat. This is the first car I have owned in 40 years of driving that has been totally fault free, and the longest in ownership as a result.

les winn, northants, September 8th 2007

D5 SE Lux 5dr Geartronic

My wife and I read the Whatcar report before we swapped our Range Rover 2.5 DSE for this 35,000 GBP "shed". We should have listened to you, sorry. Seven visits to the dealer in two years, usually on the back of a tow-truck. All the dealer has to say is " We know about that fault already so we will fix it under gaurantee". Just for the record, known faults and no recall notices were - blown turbo pipe x 2, Bosch engine injection system which affected Mercs and other cars as well, power steering pipe leakage etc... The best fault is a little cable under the engine at the front which came loose. The engine management system computer could not detect this fault on three seperate occasions when I called the AA out, even when they used their laptops. On the third occasion, the AA man said "This cable was loose so I have provisionally crimped it, but it needs sorting". We did buy one the first D5 engines so I presume the teething problems are now sorted on the ones sold today. I now drive a Suzuki Grand Vitara, a third of the price but I trust it and it doesn't break down.

Alan Cooper, June 10th 2007

D5 SE Lux 5dr Geartronic

I too cannot understand the negative review given by What Car. It seems to have been reviewed under criteria to which it has intentions of aspiring to. It is not a hot hatch and does not drive as such. What it does do extremely well is provide a very comfortable ride in a high quality environment that is well suited for long journeys with family in tow. Why on earth the fact that is does not have more of a '4x4 feel' is touted as a bad thing I don't know as the majority of people buying this car will have chosen it precisely because they didn't want to own a 'Chelsea tractor' and they'll be relieved to find that the interior doesn't make you feel like you're driving a tank. The 4x4 performace is perfectly adequate for what it will be used for: country roads and fields. Most BMW X5s don't go further off the road than the sleeping policemen in Sainsbury's car park so the 'superior' off road ability is irrelevant. The level of off road performace of the XC70 is well suited to what most people will use it for. There is body roll if you approach corners too fast as you'd expect in a large car but given that you'll probably have your family and dogs in the back it is not the sort of car you will be racing round corners in. All in all I am very impressed with this car and think it it highly preferable to an Audio All Road which is far less comfortable inside or a full size 4x4 which will have eco warriors egging your front door.

Harry Younger, April 12th 2007

D5 SE Lux Ocean Race 5dr [185]

I contracted a Volvo 2.5D Auto 'Ocean Race', it looks fantastic, in fact it looks absolutely fantastic. But I am so very very relieved that I only contracted this car, and that it's the bank that going to get the kick when I give it back. To categorise the tick list when I bought the car really narrowed the field, it needed 4 wheel drive , it had to be an estate and a low estate as we own a large dog who can't jump. We travel to a second home in France, so economy of a diesel was important, and a reasonable amount of comfort was required. The list was either a Subaru Legacy or the Volvo, the Volveo's the premium brand right?? The economy is around 26mpg on a run driving steady, I can put the biggest roof box known to man on and the steering doesn't feel any different, scary crabby. The brakes would without doubt fail an MOT, you need to press really hard . The inside of the car is quite small, with very poor storage, the centre console doesn't have a cool vent fitted which you need on long trips, or any family trip for that matter. The air-con, exactly where is the air-con, the inside of the car is like an oven on even a modest day you need to open the windows to try and cool the car. Volvo is a car built to crash, but I do not intend to crash my car, and if I were to crash I don't want it to be because my feet were so hot due to the poor ventilation , my sweaty foot slipped off the brakes as I had to push so hard

duncan espie-whitburn, April 8th 2007

T SE Lux 5dr

Thus far my December 2004 2.5T Auto (Lifestyle Edition - in Australia) has been a faithful companion for more than 60,000mls. Fuel economy has been great for a car of this size and performance. I haven't calculated mpg but I know I hover around 9.8l/100kms. I wasn't particularly brand loyal and put any brand before another - however, safety and easy dog transport were two priorities and I wanted a wagon not something that was simply called a wagon and offered little more space than carrying two extra cucumbers home when doing the weekly groceries. When I looked at Subaru (Outback), I had the choice of either cargo barriers or curtain airbags but couldn't have both - how ridiculous - in Australia Subaru is on the safety bandwagon - at least from a marketing perspective. So when I looked at the Volvo it was also available with an option of dog gates at the tailgate end, meaning I can park the car and leave the rear open with the dog not overheating (our weather here is a little warmer most days). The cabin's versatility is great and you can have a cargo barrier behind the front seats to keep things in the back seat and to keep doggie safe in the rear. Someone (thank you) has actually put some practical thought into the user-friendliness and comfort of this car. I have had no problems other than the tailgate lock not opening easily (replaced under warranty) - perhaps this was due to excessive dirt road usage, but then again it's called "cross country".

Andre Gall, VIC, December 6th 2006

D5 SE Lux 5dr [185]

I bought this car in early December 2005 and have travelled about 3000 miles. I bought it to replace a people carrier as I wanted a more luxurious and quieter car, but I still needed the space, and the Volvo best fitted the bill. It has plenty of advantages. The interior has excellent build quality and materials, the boot doesn't look that big but you can pack a huge amount into it, and the stereo is top notch and sounds fantastic. Also, the engine is very strong and quiet. I find it very relaxing to drive and it's certainly quieter than a friend's Range Rover Vogue. It also looks a bit more interesting than a normal estate, and I find that the memory seats are much more than a gimmick. On the down side, the rear seats are small and it's almost impossible to get three baby seats across the back, even if two of them are booster seats. It is a bit too thirsty, but it's what you expect from a permanent 4x4 car. The handling is very soft, even in sports mode, but you have to just realise that it's not a boy racer's car. There are not enough cup holders and their location in front of the central console is ridiculous, as they are under your arm when you change gears. Finally the cubby holes in the doors are too small to be of any use whatsoever. Overall, though, this is a car that I chose as a compromise, but it's grown on me since I bought it, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who wanted a luxury estate that's a bit different.

john errington, herts, February 28th 2006

D SE 5dr Geartronic

I disagree with What Car's review. I have an Mark 3 MX-5 for having fun, and an XC70 for everything else. The XC70 isn't a sports car, but is a spacious, comfortable estate car. I need a 4WD for towing and muddy fields, but didn't want a large 4*4. I also needed a car which was practical and capable of doing high mileages in comfort. Items I particurarly like, are so many good standard features, such as self levelling suspension, very comfortable leather seats, excellent Dolby Surround stereo, 35mpg, beautiful cream interiors, electric folding mirrors. I've also found the XC70 suprisingly capable off road. In short if you want a practical, well equipped Volvo estate, with 4wd, this is well worth a look.

Nigel Leviss, UK, February 2nd 2006

D5 SE Lux 5dr

I wrote in July stating that I was pleased with my choice, and I have been so far - the car has done all I have asked of it. Sure, the ride is soft, but this isn't a sports coupe. There have been a few warranty niggles and it has just had its first service, which cost Β£378 inc. VAT, for what is essentially an oil and oil filter change. That's a hundred quid more than I was expecting - it is not a major service; heaven knows what that would cost. It was my fault for not checking the price first, but Stratstone Barkingside can whistle for any further paid work.

Steven Metcalfe, February 2nd 2006

D5 SE Lux 5dr [185]

This car is a diesel, so the fuel consumption was good. The interior was quite good, although you get the impression from Volvo now that they are trying to compete with Mercedes and Audi in terms of quality, and it certainly wasn't that good. Some parts of the interior felt strong and well put together, but then some other aspects let it down, such as visible screw heads, and no flush-fitting boot surroundings. However, the reason I have given this car one star is almost completely down to the handling. This is without a doubt the worst handling vehicle I have ever driven. When driving on the motorway, the play in the steering is unbelievable. You can turn the wheel a quarter of the way around to the left or the right and have no affect on the direction you are travelling, this is a very unsettling feeling when going at over 70mph. Although the handling is very good over rough terrain, when cornering it does have a lot of body roll. To be honest, I think they should have released the Volvo XC90 as a boat - after all, the steering does feel like it's controlling a sail!

Luciano ., January 24th 2006

D5 SE Lux 5dr Geartronic

I am frankly astonished by some of the negative reviews for this car. I bought it for several reasons, firstly to transport two German Shepherd dogs for which it is ideal, with sufficient height for them to sit in the luggage area in comfort. I also wanted something safe and comfortable for the 30,000 miles as year I have to travel - again the Volvo scores. I needed the four wheel drive because we live in a rural area, half a mile from the road. Again it has proved to be ideal. My normal diesel consumption is 38-40 mpg, and it will happily cruise quietly on the motorway at a speed that would interest law enforcers. The XC70 is no sports car, but does not pretend to be. It has a fine sound system, in-car television, built in sat-nav, and excellent phone system with an in-seat speaker. For what I need, I find this car very hard to fault and would not hesitate to recommend it to anybody with similar needs (you can always have something fast and stupid for those summer days).

John Rawling, Leicestershire, January 7th 2006

D5 SE 5dr Geartronic

I do not understand why the various reviewers rate this car so low. I find it immensely comfortable, well built and efficient. It is not as good to drive as 5 Series I have had, but it doesn't pretend to be. And it is much cheaper to run than Discoveries I have owned. All round it is an excellent package with four wheel drive security when needed, estate capacity and the best ergonomics available - which is good for those of us with dodgy backs! And as a business owner I can drive it to clients without sending all the wrong image. I think Volvo is on the up and up.

Nick Mayo, Somerset, December 11th 2005