PHEV GX4hs 5dr Auto

I would probably rate this car a whole lot higher if it wasn't for the fact that it is now off the road for almost 2 weeks waiting for a part to come in. The wait wouldn't be such an issue if I was provided with a courtesy vehicle. Instead I have a car that is less than 3 months old off the road while I'm having to pay out for a hire car. Mitsubishi really need to improve their attention to customer service! Wish I'd bought another Audi! Another issue with this car is, it is built on the same chassis as the 7 seat diesel Outlander so you're left with a set of cup holders and armrests that would be for a third row of seats, not only wasting boot space but they look odd and out of place too.

CINDY HINTON, ESSEX, February 2nd 2015

PHEV GX4hs 5dr Auto

Out..standing! Now took delivery of my Company Black GX4HS PHEV. Like other reviews, my biggest surprise has been how quiet it is. You don't notice the car switch from EV battery to petrol. It's quicker in the real world than the numbers suggest too. On long trips you do need to start with a full charge. I'm getting anywhere from 27 to 32 EV miles from my polar British Gas home charge unit. The car charges fully in 3 hours and I set the app timer to charge off peak over night. The car itself feels like a premium built product. I have heard many stories on forums about company drivers shirking their Audis, BMW s and Mercs for the outlander phev. I'm now one of them. I will not use any fuel at all going to and from my work place which I find incredible (av79mpg) and to be able to do this in a safe, practical, well built 4x4 with all the toys you can think off has been amazing. My ownership experience so far has been as good as any car I have owned. My gripes, the plastics are not the standard required of a 40k car (before 5k government grant), they should have made the LED daytime lights standard for the price (although I negotiated the dealer down by Β£50!) And without doubt I'd have liked to not leave the EV charge cover open all the time when charging. Apart from that it saves me a fortune in tax and fuel locally. Sign up to ecotricity and the GMEV scheme in Manchester. As someone else said.. be quick there will be a waiting list!

Phil Crombleholme, October 29th 2014

DI-D GX4 5dr

Good on and off roader, loads of space on the inside

James Hutchison, July 29th 2014

DI-D GX4 5dr

I have already covered over 5,000 miles in my 15MY Outlander. Mine has automatic transmission and drives really well and is comfortable on long trips having been to Scotland twice. I particularly like the additional row of seats, albeit leg room is tight and these are best suited to younger children. It feels solid and is well built, with the engine having more than enough power to accelerate quickly and cruise comfortably on motorways. Folding the seats down creates a large load area which I have already used on a number of occasions and has handled all my requirements. Overall - It is a great car that does everything need from a family MPV.

David Ramsey, Glos, July 29th 2014

DI-D GX3 5dr

Bought a 7 month old GX3 in black with leather. Wanted loads of space (rear legroom and shoulder width) in the back for 3 kids (one baby seat, 2 boosters), cheap running costs, 7 seats when needed and decent looks. 4wd is a bonus for me. I simply couldn't handle getting a people carrier. The ride quality and practicality have impressed me. Really comfy for long distance. Car leans a bit in corners, steering feel isn't great but grips well. Getting 40mpg for mixed. Personally I like the way it looks, its more butch than a CRV and far cheaper than Santa Fe with more room as well. One annoying thing is the black dash inserts are a dust magnet. I like the fact that they arnt common.

Paul Campbell, Antrim, June 25th 2014

PHEV GX4h 5dr Auto

I recently swapped my BMW 5 series for an Outlander PHEV and I am quite relieved that the car has lived up to the positive media hype. A highly compelling package, the car swaps between the various drive modes seamlessly and it is all but impossible to know whether it is the engine or the batteries driving the wheels. Sound proofing is on a par with much more expensive executive offerings. On a 300 mile round trip the car returned high 30’s mpg and for local driving it has always remained on battery power. The car is impressively refined on the motorway for a large 4X4 SUV although the ride is slightly β€˜choppy’ on rural roads. My free home charger from British Gas works exactly as advertised and a stop at the M3 services delivered a very straightforward rapid charge (30 mins for a full charge) from the free Ecotricity electric charging point. The integrated touch screen media/sat nav system works well, albeit it has slightly convoluted yet reasonably intuitive menus. The very spacious cabin is a good place in which to pass the time and feels robust. The niggles are no auto dimming rear view mirror, no driver lumbar adjustment, and a rather small fuel tank. The icing on the cake for me is the very welcome Β£400 per month company car/fuel benefit tax saving against my previous BMW 520d. Order one soon – they are going to be in very short supply.

Kim Slowe, June 20th 2014

DI-D Elegance 5dr

Cannot believe Whatcar gave this only 2 stars. Have had one since 2010, paid a main Dealer 15K (one previous owner, FSH) excellent Fosgate sound system, never had a major problem with it, goes anywhere, happy off road and on, big enough for a family of 5 to go on holiday without roof boxes, small enough to park in shopping centres. VAG TDi engine is bulletproof, powerful and easily gets 40mpg. It has to deal with deep snow every winter, never gets stuck. Loses a star for interior build quality (dash rattles a bit) and engine soundproofing but that is all, everything else is perfect. Really have no idea why it got 2 stars...

Alastair Mackay-James, July 10th 2012

DI-D GX2 5dr

I used to have an Outlander Warrior 57 plate but swapped to the GX2 this year. I have to disagree completely with the two star rating Whatcar give it and suspect homework has not been done. What other car gives 45mpg (measured), 125mph+; 0-60 ~8 seconds for Β£22k? You try and find one. . . If you do find something that matches the performance it will cost a lot more. Just so that you dont think I'm totally biased I do agree it could have more toys. I would have expected fog lamps and the steering wheel mounted radio controls - and let Mitsubishi know I thought they were tight. The GX2 came with taller 215/70 tyres (the Warrior had 235/55). Upside is GX2 is better in mud, downside its isn't quite as taut on the road. I do use this off road and it is better than you might expect. Inside theres heaps of space and the leg room in the middle of the back seats must be class leading; you need a Range Rover to match this legroom.

Michael Jacks, DERBYSHIRE, November 29th 2011

DI-D Elegance 5dr

Bought the car from new, now 5 months old. Total time in garage has been 4 weeks. Recovered twice. It has had 2 new engine sensors. Just had a new turbo fitted at 3000 miles. Dealership have been awful. Latest problem is it has no power under 2000 revs. Driving the car from cold is awful. Would I buy another one. No way

phil meechan, November 24th 2008

DI-D Elegance 5dr

Bought a brand new (pre-Reg) Elegance with all the usual toys. Added Privacy glass option for Β£250. Once warmed up is very smooth and heated seat are a godsend. All the kit is well thought out. Thought long and hard between Honda CR-V and This one. Got a great deal (3K off) and some of the Honda clutch comments by other users put me off. The RAV-4 was also great but it looked more like a car from the back as did the TIGUAN and I wanted it for what it was- a 4x4. Love it.

Rupen Kulkarni, Worcestershire, November 16th 2008

DI-DC Diamond 5dr

Was interested in a 2.0 Elegance, but dealer offered a showroom 2.2 Diamond for the same price. Real-chuffed with purchase. Practical, drives great & kids love it. The entertainment system WOW-factor not worned-off yet. Some clever design touches - easy 4-WD selection, split tailgate, fold-away 3rd row seats, auto rain & light sensors, lots of cubby holes & drinks-holders. Only complaint - clock is part of touch screen display and is tiny at one corner. Otherwise, a lot a car for the money.

Karen J, Manchester, November 4th 2008

DI-DC Diamond 5dr

We bought the 2.2 Diamond to replace a very disappointing Freelander. Mitsubishi's "Sale" knocked Β£3000 off the list price in September. We've now done just under 2000 miles, and we are very pleased with the car. Equipment-wise, it has just about everything you can think of - 30Gb entertainment system, separate rear DVD, Sat Nav, reversing camera, sunroof, electric leathers, barometer/altimeter, etc. The 2.2 diesel is torquey and smooth once warmed. We're getting an average of around 33 mpg - not bad for a mix of motorway and town runs. The interior is roomy for 5 adults, but the third row seats are really only suitable for kids - but at least there is capacity for 7, unlike the Freelander. Overall, for just over Β£24000 new, great value and highly practical.

John Channon, October 27th 2008

DI-D Warrior 5dr

I recently bought an Outlander, and have been very pleased with the car, especially the fuel economy in which I appear to consitently be getting greater than 40mpg. However, I have received very disappointing service from the garage I bought it from and from Mitsubishi. I was unfortunate to have a flat tyre whilst working 200 miles from home, and had great problems trying to replace the tyre. Mitsubishi breakdown services declared it 'wasn't sensible' to take me home, and I subsequently had to drive the 200 miles at 50mph on a spacesaver, when no-one appeared to know what the safe mileage limit was. When trying to replace the tyre, it appeared that there were insufficient tyres available in the UK, and I eventually had to pay an unscrupulous garage 40% more than the standard costs of the tyre to replace it. I bought this car because, as a woman driving long distances on her own it appeared reliable and safe, and potential owners should know that after-sales support from Mitsubishi is poor.

Victoria Phillips, May 3rd 2008

DI-D Elegance 5dr

I was looking for spacious family transport with diesel economy and had been weighing up a Passat estate and Volvo estate when I came across a review of the Outlander. I ended up with a pre-registered Elegance in metallic blue with beige leather. I would agree with most of the reviews above. The engine lacks guts low down but it is not a big problem. Neither is it as vocal as some of the reviews would have you believe. Once under way it is fine and pick up on the motorway is great. I am not a fan of the standard satnav which is not very intuitive and has taken us on some odd routes but the stereo is good and it records to the hard disk as it plays CDs. I have no idea how it goes off road nor any intention to find out. As versatile all weather family transport however it is excellent. It has a huge boot (which can be expanded by sliding the rear bench), the third row is fine for small children in car seats, the split tailgate is a great place to sit whilst removing wellies and being that bit higher than a saloon it is much easier to reach in to strap the kids in. I like the way it looks and find it enjoyable to drive. I also get 40mpg on most journeys and around 36mpg on a (very) fast motorway run. I would recommend the Outlander but would say that in top spec pre-owned / pre-registered makes more sense than paying the full new price.

Adrian Jones, Hertfordshire, March 2nd 2008

MIVEC Equippe 5dr Auto

I bought this car rather quickly - I had no real intention of buying one but saw a deal that looked too good to be true! I was happy to put up with the petrol only engine (I had been wanting a diesel) as the asking price of under Β£15k for a brand new car was excellent. The ride and driving position are very good. Very easy to use auto box with tiptronic option - which hardly ever gets used. I use this car for towing a fairly large caravan and it seems to have plenty of grunt and good stability. Down side is the fuel consumption. Manufacturers claim of 28mpg combined is, as ever, a little ambitious. More like 25mpg. Also, service prices are steep. Β£270 for an 18,000 mile service. Dealers vary. The selling dealer was rude and hopeless but I have managed to find a better franchised dealer nearby who offer excellent customer service. The standard equipment levels are adequate and the car feels well put together. It's nice that there aren't too many on the road too. Reliability has been excellent and being a Mitsubishi, I fully expect this car to out-live me! Overall, a good car but a little costly to keep.

paul clark, December 20th 2007

DI-D Warrior 5dr [Leather]

I replaced my Audi A4 Avant 1.9 TDi with the Warrier Spec in Red and Black leather. The car looks superb and the engine performance with the vw engine and 6 sp box is much better than some of the write ups suggest. Fuel consumption is around 38 - 40 mpg where the audi was 44 - 46 mpg The 6/7th seats are nothing more than an emergency spare set and if you have a dog in the boot then forget it for more than 5 up since its a double seating bench arrangement unlike the LR Discovery where you can operate the 6th single seat in the boot plus dog. Low split tailgate is great for shopping with the top opening for car parks and the lower gate elswhere for getting the dogs in easily. Spec - the bluetooth phone kit and mp3 cd player is excellent and tinted glass is great to hide the kids and give some screening for the dog on a sunny day. (all are standard spec) Not brilliant for any serious use off road as the bumpers overhangs are too low. Also there is no low ratio box but when compared price wise with similarly priced base model freelander the Mitsubishi is miles better value and the reliability is streets ahead. Highly recommended and looks great unlike the odd looking citroen and seriously ugly front end of the Peuegot versions.

JIm MCCulloch, December 14th 2007

DI-D Warrior 5dr [Leather]

I leased an Warrior 2.0 Di-D in silver for six months, mostly for business use, and was sad to see it go, but unfortunately due to mileage constraints this had to happen. The driving experience was superb, as were the running costs. My family loved the vehicle and we managed to cram loads of camping gear in the loadspace while not compromising the handling and fuel efficiency of the willing 2.0 VW engine. Clarkson wasn't too complimentary about the performance of this model, but once it gets underway, it's no different to most cars on the road. One thing to note is that if you want to take a gap in the traffic, switch it to 4x4 mode, otherwise the front wheels tend to spin loads and the ESP warning goes a bit tilt. Interior plastic trim is disappointing given the cost and status of the vehicle, and the handsfree bluetooth system, while being a novel feature, made conversations over 40mph practically impossible due to road and wind noise. The most comical chat was with the Mitsubishi dealer service dapartment when they couldn't make out what I was saying because of too much background noise. All in all, it certainly has presence on the road, and I'd recommend it to anyone looking at the SUV market.

Michael Gordon, Hampshire, December 7th 2007

DI-D Elegance 5dr

I took delivery of an Elegance three months ago, and would agree with pretty much all the positives and negatives stated before. The privacy glass and parking sensors are extras that I purchased and are much needed, perhaps they should be standard? More than that, though, it has proven practical, it drives really well for a SUV and I'm getting close to 40mpg. Realistically it is a good five seater not a seven seater. The only down point so far is the reception on the radio, which for a modern car is pathetic. This was been pointed out to my local dealer, in Yeovil, within one week of purchase and who so far seems reluctant to solve this problem. This is the second car from the same dealer with this problem.

Alan Dawson, Somerset, October 18th 2007

DI-D Warrior 5dr

My situation changed and instead of driving my subaru imprezza , i needed to seat five with occasional seven seat use. I opted for the warrior form with black leather and red paintwork which in my opinion looks great! Still early days as its only gone 2.5k , no problems as yet . The drive is very car like , the driving position is good and everything is well laid out on the dashboard . Everything appears well screwed together and is easy to use. Having read the other reviews there appears two problem areas 1. The engine being unrefined . I havnt found this a problem , the engine noise is not obtrusive IMO and the 6 speed box works well. i also know this engine to be reliable. As for the manufacturors figures i have only managed about 5 mpg less than they have stated . This is probably because the engine is still freeing up . 2. Seats uncomfortable at the back. If you need seven seats dont buy the outlander , however if there for occasional use i find them very useful and easy to use. Overall a cracking car , the wife loves it , the kids love it and i think i do too!!!

andy nosworthy, devon, October 14th 2007

DI-D Elegance 5dr

I bought an ex demo Outlander elegance in March this year. I am fairly pleased with the car. It's good for 4/5 passengers,but cramped with flip up seats up for 7 passengers. I agree with experts opinion on the engine resonance being a bit crude. I have just had the engine chipped by the Mitsubishi dealer, BHP up from 138 to 167,torque increase from 310 to 365nm@2500rpm. Engine is now more responsive and quieter and I would recommend this upgrade.

A Griffiths, October 13th 2007