Drivers at risk in tunnels
* One-third don't know rules * 12 major UK tunnels * Lives at risk...
A third of British drivers risk dying if they confront a fire in a tunnel as they don't know what to do, according to a new survey by the AA.
The poll asked more than 15,000 people what course of action they would take if, while driving through a tunnel, a lorry caught fire in front of them.
More than two-thirds correctly said they would save themselves by looking for, and following, signs to escape routes or safe havens.
However, the other third would put their lives at serious risk by:
• Trying to help the lorry driver or fight the fire 12%
• Sitting in their car and waiting for instructions from the tunnel control 7%
• Trying to drive away or round the burning lorry 6%
• Getting out of the car and running away 3%
• Not knowing what they would do 5%
There are 12 major tunnels in the UK.
The best plug-in hybrid cars in 2021
Plug-in hybrids can reduce fuel consumption to an absolute minimum, but which models are the best all-rounders and which should you avoid?...
Audi E-tron Sportback long-term test review
Can you live with a fully electric car if you can't charge at home? We're finding out with the help of the Audi E-tron Sportback