First Edinburgh numberplate for sale
* S1 registration * Expected to raise 250,000 * First bought in 1903...
Edinburghs first ever car numberplate is set to fetch up to 250,000 at auction later this month.
The registration plate 'S1' was originally bought in 1903, the year registration numbers were introduced.
It was bought by Sir John H A MacDonald, the Lord Justice Clerk of Scotland between 1888 and 1919. Also known as Lord Kingsburgh, he was a motoring pioneer who foresaw the rapid development of the car and the need for a proper road system.
He was one of Scotlands first car owners, and was also a founding member of the Automobile Club of Great Britain and Ireland, which later became the RAC, and was the first president of the Scottish Automobile Club, founded in 1899.
The historic plate has been in MacDonald's family ever since, and is now being offered for sale by his descendants.
The licence will be sold by Bonhams auction house at the Goodwood Revival Sale on September 19. The owner can then have the plate made using the licence.