WATCH: Why Pod Point is our Best Home Charger Provider 2023
Our survey of more than 4000 EV users put Pod Point top. Here’s why...
In a relatively short space of time, the amount of new electric vehicles (EVs) to choose from has skyrocketed. The same can be said for electric car home chargers. In fact, there are currently more than 100 companies in Europe offering home charging solutions. But how do you know which is best?
To find out, we conducted a survey of more than 4000 EV owners and asked them to tell us about their experience of buying and using a home charger. We asked how long they’d had to wait between purchase and the charger being up and running, as well as how reliable it has been.
Customer satisfaction is the biggest factor in our ratings, with up to 75% awarded for really positive reviews. And because the rising cost of living has changed how many of us think about money, the average price paid by our respondents to get their home chargers fitted makes up the remaining 25%.
Out of the 11 companies that we surveyed, Pod Point came out as the top-rated home charger provider with an overall rating of 82.2%. But to find out exactly why Pod Point is our best home charger provider of 2023, we asked two experts from our editorial team to give more detail. Watch the video below and read on to find out more.
One of the UK’s leading providers of EV chargers
Founded in 2009, Pod Point has become one of the UK’s leading providers of EV chargers. As of 2023, more than 211,000 Pod Point chargers have been installed across the country, with more than 9200 public chargers operating at locations such as Tesco, Lidl and national parks.
Pod Point also works with many major automotive brands including Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Hyundai and KIA, along with top property developers like Barratt Homes and Taylor Wimpey, and logistics giants such as DPD and DHL.
All of this means that Pod Point has the breadth of experience and expertise to bring you the very best home chargers possible. In fact, the next-generation Pod Point Solo 3 home charger (not tested in our survey) can provide charging up to 10x faster than a three-pin plug, supports over-the-air software updates, protects your house with advanced Auto Power Balancing and even comes with a five-year warranty as standard1
But for our survey respondents, there were a number of reasons why Pod Point came out on top, as our consumer editor, Claire Evans, explains: “Our respondents told us that Pod Point’s chargers are easy to use, reliable and relatively affordable to buy. That’s why it was voted our best home charger provider for 2023.
“The UK brand gained the highest score for value (71.9%). Service was among the quickest, too; 98% of chargers were installed in less than three months. “Pod Point tops the table for satisfaction, too, with 85.7% of owners telling us they were very happy with their chargers.”.
To get even more insight on which home chargers were best, we also asked colleagues who have had chargers fitted over the past two years to tell us about their experiences.
One of our staff writers, Jack Warrick, has been using the Pod Point Solo 2 7kW home charger, and found it easy to use and extremely reliable: “We chose a tethered wallbox with a 7.5-metre charging cable, because it means we don’t have to rummage around in each of our two electric cars to find a cable. The cable wraps nicely around the outside of the charger.
“The charger was installed exactly one month after being ordered. It has a small LED user interface and can be used via the Pod Point app, as long as there’s a stable enough wi-fi connection. Our unit has a single light, which is blue when it’s ready to charge and green when charging the car.
“The app lets you schedule a charge and see the cost of your at-home charging over a weekly, monthly and yearly basis. You’re also given access to a map of all the nearest public Pod Point charging stations.
“It has been extremely reliable, barring a few teething problems shortly after installation; it wouldn’t connect to our wi-fi correctly, but an engineer swiftly came out to fix the problem free of charge.
“This charger has now been replaced by the Solo 3 in Pod Point’s range.” So, offering good value for money, fast installation, reliable service and strong overall satisfaction, it’s clear to see why Pod Point has been voted our best home charger provider of 2023.
 5-year warranty included when buying directly from pod-point.com or select dealerships
The Best electric cars in 2023
Sales of electric cars are booming, and no wonder: the best are quiet, cheap to run and smooth to drive. But which are the brightest sparks – and which are the loose connections?
BYD Atto 3 long-term test
Can an unfamiliar car brand show established names a thing or two when it comes to comfortable, practical and cost-effective electric motoring? We're finding out