No Mot dilemma

* Your car questions answered * From scrap cars to cop cars * Ask us here, too...

No Mot dilemma

**Q) When my MoT expired a few months ago, I didn't have the cash to get a few necessary repairs done, so I declared the car SORN (Statutory Off Road Notice) and have kept it in my garage ever since.

I've now saved enough money to have the work to be done, but find myself with a dilemma. I need to tow the car to my local mechanic to have the work done, but I'm guessing this is illegal given the car has no MoT and has been declared SORN. What should I do!?

Jen Warne**

A) Even though your car has a declared Statutory Off Road Notice (SORN) and no MoT, you can still legally tow or drive it to a testing station, provided you have pre-booked an MoT appointment.

However, if you want to have the work carried out at a separate garage before arranging for the MoT test, you'll need to transport the car on a trailer.