Seat Leon Cupra R announced
* Most powerful Seat * Has 261bhp turbocharged engine * On sale early 2010...
This is Seat's hottest hot hatch ever.
The new Leon Cupra R, which will be shown at the Frankfurt motor show next month, has 261bhp a 24bhp increase over the standard Leon Cupra.
The boost in power comes through changes to the 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine, including a new high-pressure fuel pump injector.
Seat's most powerful road car
The Leon Cupra R will be the most powerful production car Seat has ever made, when it goes on sale early next year. It's also one of the most powerful hot hatches around, comfortably beating the new Renaultsport Megane's 247bhp and the standard Golf GTI's 208bhp.
The Seat Leon R Blasts from 0-62mph in just 6.1 seconds, a 0.3 second improvement over the Cupra. Top speed is 155mph.
The Cupra R is powered by a version of the engine used in the Audi S3 and the forthcoming VW Golf R20. We expect a price of around 21,000, which means it'll cost a lot less than its two VW Group counterparts although, unlike those two cars, it has front rather than four-wheel drive.
The R has a few visual upgrades over the standard Leon Cupra, but they're subtle:
• 'R' badges on the front grille, tailgate, dashboard and key fob;
• Bespoke 19-inch alloy wheels;
• Bucket-style sports seats with grey Alcantara upholstery;
• White LED instrument dials.
UK equipment levels have yet to be confirmed, but the Cupra R is likely to come with:
• Dual-zone climate control;
• Cornering foglights;
• Automatic headlights and wipers;
• Rear parking sensors;