TDI PD Executive 174 5dr

Caravelle 2.5 174. 2005 Model. Having owned this car from new and covered 110,000 miles I would consider myself to be in an excellent position to comment on this car. From day 1 it has been plagued with problems! Choose from the following warranty work list: Air con regas 4 times, new water pump, new sat nav unit, replacement gearbox, replacement turbo (left the garage and within an hour had to return), replacement battery, replacement blower motor, exterior boot trim peeling away. Then 2 months after the warranty ran out, both rear shocks had to be replaced but the icing on the cake was a blown head gasket!! This car never missed a service. Would I buy another one? Hell would have to freeze over first, with the combination of vehicle problems/dealer problems and no help whatsoever from VW customer care, take my advice and go to a proper car company (Mercedes). That's where I'm off to as soon as I get mine back. Steer well clear!!

John Davis, December 23rd 2008

TDI PD SE 174 5dr

I have had the T5 Caravelle 4 motion for 3 years and have hauled the family from Victoria Falls to Cape Town and Swakopmund to Punto do Ora in Mozambique. On occasions we crossed over some very challenging terrain. Once we were stuck with 5 other off roaders including L/Rovers Pardos and the like but we got out first. In all instances the trip has been one of the best parts. There are no issues with the T5 regarding space, speed, noise or comfort levels. Great vehicle.

Mervyn van Staden, December 5th 2008

TDI PD SE 130 5dr

I have owned and driven the Caravelle for nearly 3 years. It's far better than offerings from Mercedes and is a well thought out design which does not fall apart. My only gripe is incompotent dealers. But after complaining to VW's Chairman in Germany things improved & compensation followed. The engine pulls strongly and the auto box copes well. There is no body roll to speak of but pot holes with a lightly loaded vehicle can be intrusive. It drives like a car, is generally reliable and gets my recomendation.

Keith Blackham, Worcs, April 15th 2008

TDI PD Executive 130 5dr

I have owned a 102 bhp synchro from new in 1999 and it is GREAT,and although we have other cars will not part with it.Hugely recommended

andrew tweddle, durham, February 9th 2007

TDI PD SE 130 5dr

We have owned the Transporter 130SE six-speed manual version of the VW for three years and in this time it has only cost us Β£364 in servicing costs through Gilders VW in Sheffield. I have worked for Vauxhall, Rover, Jaguar and BMW and driven, raced and owned many cars including two Porsche 911s and a 308GTB. There is absolutely nothing on the market that will carry 7, 8 or 9 passengers and their luggage in a combination of class, comfort and price range. I travel many miles in my job and when I drive the VW, I forget it's not a performance car because of the way I put into roundabouts and bends - it really does feel like a car. The difference is that because of the height advantage, you get the feeling of commanding all before you. If you want to turn it into a performance multi-purpose vehicle with in excess of 200BHP with the Professional body kit to match, the German racing company DTM/ABT will provide your VW/Audi or Porsche with the ultimate in performance and looks. So if you want a vehicle which looks expensive but is excellent value for money in purchase, running costs and great residuals, try The VW T5 130SE or the 174SE with 4-Motion.

Steven Preston, January 10th 2007

TDI PD SE 130 5dr

I must have bought the only bad t5 shuttel. I have had my vw just 13 months but have had it in at vw 11 times at Glasgow & Edinbrgh vw centers. For an inhearrit fault and still have the most annoying noise at passenger side sliding door/roof area vw coumster service is poor. Have tried to return under the sale off goods act to the Taxi centre Glasgow but just past in onto vw Edinburgh who just blanked me. Have had to take legal action to try to get noise fixed

alan martin, November 2nd 2006

V6 Executive 5dr Tip Auto

You’d only really contemplate buying a vehicle like this, if you needed to carry around a person in a wheelchair like myself. If you full into this category then the Caravelle is the perfect vehicle for you because they do some excellent conversion on the Caravelle for wheelchair users and one of the companies that comes highly recommended is a company called Cotrim, which they are based in Salisbury. I've had now two T5 Caravelle's and they have been the V6 3.2, my first one was the SE and now I'm driving around in the Executive. The reason why I went for the Executive is for the fact that for a little bit extra cost, you got as standard 17 inch alloy wheels, electric sliding doors, cruise control, climate control and rain sensors on the windscreen wiper. There are some other reasons why I went for the Caravelle and they are, Volkswagen's has a good customer relationship because before the T5 came out. I had five T4 Caravelle's and some of them had minor fault on them and two of my vehicles were out of warranty, but Volkswagen did a good will warranty on them. I know it wasn't only Volkswagen that did this and it was the Dealership helping me out as well, which I have used for over 15 years. Again if you are contemplating with buying a Volkswagen Caravelle and you live in the Surrey area, I can strongly recommend the Dealership called Colbornes of Guildford because they offer a splendid service for wheelchair users.

Paul Jones, Surrey, October 13th 2006

TDI PD SE 174 5dr

basically does pretty much what it says on the tin. practicality is superb. with 4 kids and all the junk that goes with them it beats all the other so called mpv's hands down; 7up and still massive load space. 4motion is superb, not quite the same as the Disco i had previously in terms of off road capability but still surprisingly good. performance and handling are startling given its size and weight; people just don't pull over when they see you behind them on the motorway, they make the wrong assumption that you'll just box them in! gets 5 stars because it does what you'd expect of it perfectly. well done VW for making a family man's motoring enjoyable even when its chaos in the back!

phil smith, ayrshire, September 28th 2006

TDI PD Executive 174 5dr

You'd only really contemplate buying a car like this if you needed to carry around a lot of people and their stuff. If you fall into this category then the Caravelle is the perfect vehicle. It's exteremly comfortable and reasonably economical on long journeys but its practicality is its key feature. We travel frequently with three adults and three children and all their attendant luggage without any problems at all. With it's rail mounted seating we can all fit in with ease without having to pack in the soft bags around the back seat passengers. Being a VW it's very well built and the seats are wonderful. Long journeys are no problem, the driving position is a joy and there is giving good visibility all around. The dash mounted gearstick makes the whole driving experience very pleasant and relaxed. The fittings are robust enough to be used frequently without bits falling off and while it's not quite a campervan it makes a good dining room when combined with a tent. In the 12 months I've had the Caravelle I have found nothing that disappoints me. On the contrary, the diesel engine has got better and better with increased mileage. It's never going to be as much fun as my old Cooper S but I can live with that.

paul hughes, August 18th 2005

TDI PD SE 174 5dr

Excellently thought out and executed MPV. Only major downside is price, but at least the residual value is strong. Minor gripes include :- 1. Lacks the heated windscreen of smaller sibbling the Sharan 2. Door mirrors are prone to vibration 3. Doors sometimes difficult to shut properly first time 4. No fingertip audio controls 5. For inexperienced drivers the reversing sensor is essential

Tim Griffin, December 14th 2004

TDI PD SE 174 5dr

Through Europe covering some 3500 miles, this engine suits the Caravelle best. It has oodles of power and torque. Hills are climbed with ease and overtaking is a doddle The engine can become a little raucous if reved hard. More suited to motorways. It's easy to get comfortable, there's even a fully adjustable steering wheel for reach and rake. Fuel consumption ranged from 30mpg on French Autoroutes to mid 40s on A and B roads. Not bad when you consider this MPV weighs so much! The rear cabin features roof vents with reading lamps. Unfortunately the vents do not provide air-conditioned air, just ambient or heated air as selected. In addition, when the high blower is selected, a noisy auxiliary fan kicks in in the driver's door - very irritating, though they are a nice touch. From a safety point of view, a range of airbaags are standard, as is ESP with BAS, ABS, etc. Bad Points: The fuel filler cap is tricky to store when refueling. Some of the items under the bonnet were not user friendly. The radio can be hard to reach, as is the very low handbrake. The crusie control has no flip cancel on the stalk. The sport suspension on the options list had been specified - this was awful and this vehicle in standard form has adequate suspension. You felt every slight bump or uneven road surface shake right through the cabin! Why you would want to throw this beast round on sport suspension, I have no idea. Overall, would I buy one? No. I would opt for the Shuttle,

Trevor Clegg, Cheshire, November 8th 2004