S 3dr

I bought my little Fiat Sport in May and absolutely love it! I traded in my Toyota Yaris (which I loved) but wanted something a bit nippier and newer, the 500 felt a little on the small side at first but after a few weeks getting used to it I wouldn't want anything bigger, it's perfect for me, my partner and our Chihuahua. The seats are extremely comfortable and the raised gear knob makes it easier to shift from gear to gear. The Blue and Me has been a godsend with all controls on the steering wheel .... how did I manage without it before?! It's nippy around town and was actually really comfortable driving over 300 miles to Cornwall with the back seats down and filled up with suitcases, etc. etc. The mechanic who services my car had a look at it to check it over before driving to Cornwall and said it was spot on, no problems and nothing needed doing. Wherever I drive I always get people having a sneaky peek at it! I'm hoping to keep this car for as long as possible as I love it! Cheap to run, insure and cute as a button (with a sporty feel) .... what more could a lady ask for!!

Jeanette Martin, Cheshire, July 23rd 2014

Lounge 3dr

This review is actually for a 500C (convertible). We bought a TwinAir Lounge 6 weks ago and are very happy with it. The quality of build and materials used for the interior are particularly impressive; it's a well-built car & feels solid. The electric roof mechanism works a treat; just got to get used to external noise through it, when it's fully closed. The 900cc TwinAir engine, with only two cylinders, is a "rev"elation ! We initially test drove the 1200cc, four cylinder version, but I felt it was rather gutless, especially on A roads, etc. The TwinAir has more bhp, 85 in fact and can really fly, with a great throaty engine note. On the downside, the boot is tiny (but, hey it's a 500 convertible) and the car is more of a city vehicle; great in London with the roof down (and a gas mask on) but more of an effort on long journeys. The handling on fast country roads takes some getting used to; nowhere near as sharp as my wife's previous car, a 2007 Zafira or my 2006 BMW 320d. Still, it is what it is as they say and we're really pleased with it. In New Age Cream with a black roof and red seats/trim, it turns heads too. Well done Fiat.

Iain Mair, Kent, September 9th 2013

Lounge 3dr

I upgraded to an Abarth 500 12 months ago after previously owning a Fiat 500 twin Air Lounge. I had no issues with the TA, it was a super car, but I wanted something a little more lively, hence the A500. Have 16" alloys and find the ride fine, seats are very comfortable and it is a joy to drive. I keep it in Sports mode all the time and locally get about 34mpg and on distance trips 42 > 45 mpg. (I must admit I do like to DRIVE the car, not just potter around. All in all very pleased with it and must admit I am surprised the number of times people approach me to ask questions about the car as it promotes a lot of interest. Hopefully in 12 months time if the 50/50 finance deals are still 'on the table' I'll be upgrading to a 595.

Charles Smiles, West Sussex, August 16th 2013

TwinAir Lounge 3dr

We bought a 500 Twinair Lounge to replace an elderly Alfa 147. We wanted something cheap to run before upgrading in a year or two. It was brilliant and did everything expected of it. Comofortable, even on the longer journeys from Herts to a short holiday in the Lake District, where we handled the Hardnott and Rynose Passes with ease and a big grin on our faces! What car? are totally wrong to give this little gem 3 stars and the boring box, the VW UP! 5 stars Unfortunately for us a Toyota Auris pulled out on us at a junction and we T-Boned it at 40 MPH Our little Twinny was a write off, but we walked away. Looking after us until the end. We had no hesitation in going for another 500 and this time we managed to get the money together to get an Abarth and that is even better than the TA!

Richard Hargrave, Herts, January 1st 2013

Pop 3dr

This is not specific to the 500. It applies as well to the New Panda, the New Punto and a number of other cars. WHATCAR has recently come up with a very useful tool which indicates real life mpg for a specific models, driving conditions and style. Using this tool the FIAT 500 1.2 returns about 40 mpg and the Panda with the 1.3 diesel engine returns about 60mpg. I do about 12000 miles a year, 25 to 33% of which in town and i drive with economy in mind. So far, great. The confusing bit comes when you read the WHATCAR reviews for the Panda and 500. There the 500 1.2 Pop is recommended over the 1.3 diesel Pop, on the grounds of more financial sense. The initial outlay is around Β£2300 extra for the diesel. With 50% better fuel economy, Β£2300 will be recovered within a reasonable period of time, won't it? Plus the diesel engine provides better real world performance over the 1.2 petrol. I simply fail to see the logic behind the recommendation, unless i miss something. I believe WHATCAR's response would be of interest to many readers. Thanks

NICK PAPA, NICOSIA, July 27th 2012

Pop 3dr [Start Stop]

The Fiat 500 is a cute and endearing car. Several people have complimented it in the week that I have had one on hire. Inside and out the styling is retro. The dashboard is colored to match the exterior paintwork and features pretty, old-school buttons. The instrument display is a beautiful arrangement of concentric circles. It's a fun car to sit in and be seen in. Things are less good with the 1.2l petrol engine. It's chirpy enough, but very weak. It generates just enough power for city driving, but out of town the engine struggles. This is a city car, and at motorway speeds the engine feels out of breath and cabin noise is loud. It's a small car too. The boot is twee and rear leg room is cramped, though head and legroom are ample up front. Its small size does allow for easier parking and city maneuvering; Both of which are helped by the electric steering which can be made finger light at low speeds, but which feels detached at higher speeds. Fuel economy is reasonable but not brilliant. The little engine does need to be pushed quite hard which cannot help its consumption. The stop/start system works well in traffic. The 500 is a desirable car that never looks out of place. It is fine for around town but struggles on longer journeys. I suggest considering the 0.9l twinair over the 1.2l engine for a livelier experience, or if you want to overtake anything with reasonable safety.

Ross Cadogan, May 10th 2012

TwinAir Lounge 3dr

I purchased this car new, in July this year after, having had experience of driving my wife's 500 1.2 Pop. Must admit I was a little dubious of driving a less then 900cc 2 cylinder engined car, but after a comprehensive test drive and fully testing the Dualogic gearbox to it's full potential I was won over. The car is fun to drive, very economical and the headroom in the car is most surprising seeing that I am 6ft tall. Have recently completed a 650 mile round trip which took in M25,M1,M18 and A19 which proved effortless.The driving position was comfortable and It held it's own amidst other traffic cruising along at 70mph and occasionally beyond. One thing to note is that looking at the manufacturers fuel consumption figures of 60+ mpg, I cannot see how this can be achieved. If you look on the Fiat Forum you will be pushed to find anyone who attains this figure. However on the long run I achieved 50mpg which is Ok by me. All in all I am pleased to have downsized from a larger family saloon. Bonuses are: easier to park, Zero Road Tax, Β£100 less on Insurance and a considerable saving on fuel.

Charles Smiles, West Sussex, November 12th 2011

Lounge 3dr

The 500 is great fun. Steering is direct, gear change is slick and acceleration is perky enough (even it if occasionally struggles in some gears). Revs need to be kept low for best fuel consumption - we find the best returns come from driving at 60 on the motorway (tops) and driving on A-roads and dual carriageways. We tend to get around the 50 mark but have achieved higher. It doesn't suck through the fuel too quickly, either, and filling the car up isn't too expensive in comparison to some cars. The quality of the interior so far appears to be excellent. Some soft-touch plastics would've been nice, but those that do feature in the 500 are tough and well put together. The interior is great to spend time in - lovely dashboard, clear buttons, although it's a shame the Blue & Me system isn't compatible with Apple products straight away - you have to buy an extra adaptor if you want to listen to your iPod tunes through the system! Practicality is fine - the boot swallows a surprising amount, although the rear seat bases are quite shallow so your legs are left wiggling about when you go round bends. All part of the fun though! Overall, ride quality could be better but the 500 really feels special on every journey. Great to drive, great to be in, and cheap to run.

Callum Peters, October 1st 2011

Pop 3dr

I have owned this car since 2009 with 17 miles on the clock, after wanting once since they were launched (and owning Cinquecentos and Seicentos) I absolutely love the car, and find it good to drive on both motorways and around time, although some of the other comments about it getting a bit jittery on rough roads are true, this may be due to the optional 16" wheels on mine. The parts I have been disappointed by is the fuel economy isn't quite as much as I expected, but still averaging around 40 mpg on a mix of town and country road driving where I live. The biggest disappointment has been recently, as the car approached 2 years old, and despite being cared for throughout my ownership, I found the front brakes suddenly stopped working, with none of the brake fade or warning light you would normally experience. This lead to not only replacement pads but also discs too. I have also found the tracking needs checked regularly, and have had to replace the steering arm / track rod end, after raising this with Fiat and finding they delayed giving any advice until the warranty had expired. (Be aware that Fiat's warranty is a 2 year warranty, with the remaining year being a limited dealer warranty) The customer service offered by Fiat UK has been absolutely shocking, and as a result I have now lost confidence in my much loved car and Fiat as a whole, and I am sad that after many years loyalty, I will not own another Fiat as a result.

Dale McMullen, Cumbria, September 28th 2011

Sport 3dr

I bought my Fiat 500 1.4 Sport in February and have been relatively pleased with it. It's quick yet not too thirsty. It comes with plenty of extras and buttons to play with; such as a 'Sport' mode for better throttle response and heavier steering, Blue & me - Bluetooth voice activated phone and USB slot for MP3 players with steering wheel controls. It also has half leather interior and looks snazzy with the colour coded dash. It's a great car to drive, easy to park, average size boot space. Managed to fit in 2 bikes and a suitcase (with the seats down) on a recent trip to Cornwall. Rear seats don't have a lot of room however, and rear headrests are an optional extra. The rear seats don't feel as comfy as other small superminis that I've owned. Safety is top notch though, it has a 5 star safety rating and lots of airbags. The car is great, but I will have to say reliability lets it down. During my six months of ownership, I've been back to Fiat about 4 or 5 times. I've had to have a rear shock absorber replaced, air conditioning fixed (wouldn't change direction), vents were stuck shut, squeaky brakes, sold with a spare key that didn't work and more minor issues. But other than these problems the car has been a joy to drive so far. I would recommend to anyone who wants a fun little car with a lot of gadgets to play with and likes customization. It's a good cheap alternative to the mini, as these Fiat 500's come in all colours with all sorts of stickers and extras added o

Kayleigh Jobes, August 15th 2011

Lounge 3dr

I have now driven 5000 miles in my 1.2 lounge, and on the whole I remain very pleased with it. I have mine in white with the Italian stripes down the side and I still like the look and style as much as the day I ordered it. Outside it looks stylish and this is continued inside, with an imaginative and thoughtful interior that works well and looks great. Simple things like the body coloured dash and the the glass panel on the roof adds to the feeling that the design might actually have been done by a human being making an effort, rather than the bland computer led offerings that are so boring. Well thought out features like the blue and me system work especially well, although this is a small city car built to a clear budget, certain mod cons really are expected these days and they are delivered well executed. The natural environment for this car is the city and its small size and easy drive work very well indeed, but it's second home for me seems to be small country roads where you can have a great time with this car where bigger cars simply can't use their performance. On the motorway it has a well planted feel the gives confidence, other small cars I have driven have blown around badly, the Fiat copes very well and keeps up with traffic with ease. Best of all drive sensibly and this car really is about the cheapest car to drive available, and coupled with its style and flair it really is a super offering from Fiat.

paul stewart, bucks, July 16th 2011

TwinAir Lounge 3dr

To date I have driven around 500 miles in my Lounge TwinAir. I find it considerably quicker, and with more low-down torque, than my previous 1.2. Its soundtrack is characterful, reminiscent of the air-cooled twin of old, and suits the ethos of the car. It is not intrusive at sensible speeds on the motorway. The ride is a little unsettled on our woeful roads but the lower mass of the engine improves handling. It is better value and better finished than the Mini, which I have also owned and enjoyed. In truth it is also a purer design since the Mini and its siblings have progressively diverged from the original concept. I hope Fiat can avoid the same trap. Approximating Fiat’s claimed economy figures is especially dependent on driving style. You will not approach them by batting around town in the lower gears and enjoying the lively throttle response of the engine in Normal mode. Alternatively you can select Eco Mode and Stop-Start, obey the shift indicator and achieve, as I have done, an average of 67 mpg over mixed roads. That includes two trips through Central London (Congestion Charge zero). Road Tax is zero and negotiation brought insurance costs in line with the 1.2. This is a Jekyll and Hyde car which I much prefer to the 1.2 Lounge. There are sportier and more economic versions of the TwinAir in the pipeline but the introductory model has a pleasing mix of the two characteristics. Fun or real economy; you choose, according to your mood. Perfect.

Chris Pearce, March 18th 2011

Lounge 3dr

we bought the car new in march 2009,Didnt get discount but got free mats,key rings and a fiat 500 mouse,car is coming up to 2 years old and we have covered 26000 miles in it(its a second car!!!!).my wife loved it as soon as she saw it,we looked at all the other competitors but nothing could match it for style and kerb appeal.The equivalant mini with same spec was a lot more money and just a rip off,why people buy these cars i dont know.Its a feel good car i love driving it,we use it more than our mercedes,its very cheap to run,handles like a go cart(reminds me of my old nova gte)ok its got a hard ride and is noisy at 70-80 mph but its a small car what do you expect,took it to scotland last year,1600 miles in a week,fully loaded with camping equipment,yes performance suffered as did economy but not much....niggles....first service was Β£240..which to me was daylight robbery for a small car,instrument lights packed up(fixed under warranty)windscreen washer nozzel jet fell off(fixed under warranty} both during 1st service,dealer staff friendly and polite,replaceing it next year,looking at a convertable...these cars are great,never in a 100 years did i think i would buy a fiat...but i did and dont regret it...just a pity BSM use them as L cars,i think its had an impact on 2nd hand values...

phil quinn, norfolk, March 16th 2011

Sport 3dr

We have owned the 1.2 Sport for a month now. We were first drawn to it by the styling, safety rating and character. It is also solidly built, spacious inside, comfortable (if a little bumpy) & it handles nicely. The driving position is spot on, with everything falling nicely to hand. It has great grip & is really good fun. It's not the quickest car, but it manages motorways fine. Has a nice raspy exhaust note when revved, and sounds eager. Equipment levels are high (with neat touches like the auto rear wipe if you reverse with your wipers on), and the Blue & Me is superb. The boot is small, but that is the cost of the style & interior space. Our only problem has been faulty leather on the driver's seat. This was replaced (along with that on the passenger seat) quickly & efficiently. It reminds me of a grown up version of the original Mini to drive, and it feels really special with plenty of character.

Jason Cole, Essex, January 18th 2009

Multijet Lounge 3dr

I think this is a stylish small car that i ordered without driving. The initial build quality was impressive but after 5000 miles although been totally reliable the car interior is starting to rattle and odd screws and bits of foam have dropped off and a new Seat cover had to be fitted. The seats in the Lounge version are uncomfortable and lack no support at all, The back seat is like a park bench to sit on. The paint work chips very easily and rust blisters have appeared. I think these car will look pretty tatty after a couple of years like most Fiats do. Fiat uk customer care is on a par with Ryan Air so don't expect much from them. Finally the servicing cost for these cars is about double what you would pay on other cheap cars, a first service is about Β£300.00.

michael chapman, hitchin herts, January 15th 2009

Multijet Lounge 3dr

This car was bought for my wife just over a week ago, and we love it. The little car makes us smile everytime we look at it, driving about in it gets a lot of attention as their not many about, this makes it feel a bit exclusive. Other 500 drivers give you the nod when you pass which makes it feel like your part of somthing not just driving any old car. The car we have is just 12 months old and is the 1.3 diesel, the salesman told us that this car was owen by the daughter of Richard Cort and has been driven by Quentin wilson for a Tonight with Trevor McDonald special on down sizing vehicles. Well how true this is only time will tell. Anyway the car is great just what you need to make driving more enjoyable. Now all we need are a few extras to personalise it.

steven crabtree, lancashire, January 6th 2009

Multijet Sport 3dr

This is my second review of this car. I have now racked up a further 5000 miles and this car just gets better and better. The 1.3 MultiJet diesel engine has got quieter the older it gets. The power is all there and cruising at 70 is effortless. Most of my journies are short yet i'm still getting an average consumption of over 57 MPG. While I concede that there is some road noise it is nothing compared to the Ford Ka, which is rediculously loud, the small Citroens are all much louder and so too are the peugoet 107 and 207. The build quality has withstood it's first 10,000 miles in as much as there are no annoying squeaks or rattles. The car feels chunky, solid and safe. My little Fiat 500 turns heads everywhere it goes and still makes me grin every time I look at it.

rebecca quick, cornwall, December 20th 2008

Lounge 3dr

I have never driven any car with such refined,almost no road noise. All mecanical elements perfect, ride and handling in city and motorway 5*. At 10000 miles no rattles and sqeaks on the cabin, and the looks of everithing. I think the cabind is not to be seem in any other car, it feels 100% exclusive, even the MINI doesnΒ΄t have a cabin so original as the 500. The price of the 500 along with the Kit beats any other par. Finally depreciation is almost none, and I am very satisfied with the Fiat dealer.. Nice job FIAT.

John Smith, December 19th 2008

Multijet Lounge 3dr

I have never driven any car or van which such dreadful road noise. The dealer service is poor and Fiat UK are appalling. To get a faulty gearknob replaced it took two visits to the dealership six telephone conversations with Fiat and a letter to Fiat's managing director. At 4000 miles several rattles and sqeaks are starting to appear in the cabin and I know there's no hope of getting these fixed. It must be the only car on the market without height adjustble seatbelts; even the petrol cap has to be opened by a key. When compared to the Mini One its price difference is not much, if you compare 5 Years servicing costs Β£150.00 against Β£750.00 for the Fiat. You also pay Β£250.00 for standard paint on the Fiat unless you want white. Finally this car cost Β£11,220.00 in April 08 and I have just been offered Β£6900.00 for it - that's Β£4320.00 deprication in seven months. A 3 year old Mini would be worth more than that.

Carol Thompson, December 3rd 2008

Lounge 3dr

I collected my 500 nine says ago and have since notched up 700 miles. It is much more than a town car, being quiet on the motorway. I chose the 1.2 lounge model after falling in love with the fabulous glass roof. I though I would mourn the passing of my V6 Alfa 156, but instead am feeling reborn. This car makes me feel happy. I went for optional leather & climate control. This further ups the quality feel of the car. At work yesterday, I was informed that I have the coolest car in the car park. I agree. I just cannot understand why What Car has given this a three-star rating. Yes, some cars may use less fuel or go faster, but no other car offers such a brilliant looking package for the miniscule asking price. Frankly, if either were of primary concern, you would look elsewhere. This is the motoring equivalent of the new iPod Nano.

Giovanni Marseglia, Herts, November 15th 2008