* The kit you'lll need to carry abroad... * safety and driving laws * 16 most-popular destinations covered...

Author Avatar
Pete Barden
10 July 2012


Here's what you'll need to know when driving in Austria. Pay special attention to the need for snow chains in winter months and the requirement for drivers to display a motorway permit if using such roads. The drink-drive limit is lower than in the UK at 50mg, rather than our 80mg per 100ml of blood.

Road deaths per 100,000 of population. UK average 3.1 (2010):
•6.6 per 100,000 of population

Minimum age for drivers
•18, but some suppliers impose maximum age limits to rentals

Maximum speed limit

Open roads:
Urban areas:

Alcohol limit per 100ml of blood

Equipment required in car
•Reflective jacket; to be worn if drivers stop and get out of their car for any reason outside built-up areas
•Warning triangle
•First aid kit
•Snow chains/winter tyres must be used in mountainous areas during winter
•Headlamp converters. These are stickers on your headlights, which prevent oncoming motorists being dazzled by UK-configured headlamps.

Documentation to be carried
•Full British licence (if it's not a photo version, you'll need another form of photographic ID, such as a passport)
•Original registration document or hire-car paperwork
•Motor insurance policy

Exterior markings
•GB sticker on the back of the vehicle unless the vehicle has 'Euro-plates' numberplates with a circle of 12 stars on a blue background.
•A motorway sticker is required if driver plans to use motorways. These are available at the Austrian border and at main petrol stations. The minimum fine for driving without one is 120

General requirements
•All vehicle occupants must wear seatbelts.
•No mobile phones while driving except when using a hands free device

On the spot fines issued

Radar detectors

This information is intended as a guide to driving in the aforementioned country, but is not intended as legal advice. It is the driver's responsibility to ensure they follow national driving laws.