How do I tax a SORN car?

How do I tax a SORN car?

Q: I'm thinking of buying my stepfather's car, but he's completed a SORN (Statutory Off-Road Notice) declaration because he now lives abroad. The car has a valid MoT until November. What do I need to do to get a tax disc?
Elizabeth Knight

A: Once you've bought the car and have got it insured, you should be able to go down to your local post office and buy a tax disc. You'll need to take the registration document (V5C), and MoT and insurance certificates along with you.

Alternatively, you can apply for tax disc at

How much you'll have to pay will depend on the age of the car. If it was registered before March 2001, the fee will depend on the engine size.

After that date, you'll be charged on the car's carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions, according to the official figures.