Personal Contract Hire or PCH, is a long-term rental that may be suitable if you do not want to purchase the car at the end of the agreement. We refer to it on our site as a "Personal Lease". You will make fixed monthly payments, which are made over the agreed contract length and when the contract ends you return the vehicle.
Here are some positives for Personal Contract Hire and some things to remember:
- No need to worry about reselling your car, as you simply hand the car back at the end of the agreement. Hassel Free!
- Compared to if you were buying the car, your monthly payments will be lower when based on a like for like contract term.
- Maintenance packages are usually available at an extra cost which cover you for the servicing of your vehicle.
- You get the opportunity to drive a new car that you may not have been able to afford otherwise.
- You will not have an option to purchase the car at the end of your agreement. If you would like this then maybe a PCP would be better for you.
- You agree to an annual mileage allowance and you will be charged an excess charge if you exceed this.
- You are tied into the contract for a fixed term just like a mobile contract. If you request to cancel the contract early or make changes, charges may apply.
- Make sure to keep your vehicle maintained to a good standard. There is a fair wear and tear guide available which outlines what would be considered as expected under normal usage, this shouldn’t be confused with damage which can often result in costly bills. You should familiarise yourself with this at the beginning of your agreed lease to make yourself aware what is acceptable.
So, is Personal Contract Hire right for you? This leasing option is great for those who don’t do excess travelling, also perfect for those who like to have a new car every few years!