CitroΓ«n C-CROSSER 4x4 Owner reviews

HDi Exclusive 5dr

Having had a couple of bad choices of cars in the past I deliberated hard over our next choice. It was basically a toss up between this and the Ford S-Max due to their 7-seat (or 5 +2 in reality) option. Having test-drove both the C-Crosser won hands down due to its looks, kit and the big grin my wife and I both got when driving it. The S-Max would have been a fine option (and more tender on the wallet) but we wanted to stand out from the crowd in a car that provided versatility, good looks, fantastic driving feel and excellent reviews wherever I looked. I bought one with all the extras and am not disappointed. The interior is good without being overstated and comfort in the leather seats is excellent. The back seats are cramped but they are for short journeys with little people when necessary.

Paul Brown, February 18th 2009

HDi Exclusive 5dr

i have driven and owned a C5 Auto but this Crosser is just what i need i would recommend it to all as a gift not to be didposed of

Simon Lloyd, Rhondda-cynon-taff, October 3rd 2008

HDi VTR Plus 5dr

I've been running the new 'bus' for 2 weeks now after trading in a Seat Altea after finally realising that 2 little kids demand a bigger car especially with the pram, pushchair and extra gubbins that we seem to take everywhere nowadays. First impressions are very good - it is genuinely pleasant to drive and once you get used to the extra mass over a normal car and extra roll around corners it feels responsive, reliable through corners and bags of grip. It doesn't respond so well to quick left/rights as a lower car but it isn't really the sort of car that will be hustled around anyway. The brakes though are initially a bit disappointing - they ultimately stop the car well but require toomuch force to be applied to the middle pedal Great ride and very quiet to meander in. Fuel economy isn't amazing so far - i measured 36mpg after first fill up but it has only done 8k miles so should loosen up with miles under its belt. My wife loves the driving position of it - it's not too high and it's footprint is no bigger than a normal estate It looks great, has loads of room, drives well, should be well screwed together by mitsubishi, the interior isn't as bad as the press reports say and it isn't tenapenny. So far so good (the optional wheels look great) and you should be ableto get a great deal on a nearly new one - i did! ;.)

Alex Weston, Derbyshire, May 16th 2008

HDi Exclusive 5dr

I've had 'Jean-Claude,' as the kids call him, for around two months now and have been very happy with the experience. I had a a Subaru Outback (3.0Rn) before and there is acres more passenger space in the C-Crosser, especially in the back. The reclining and sliding seats are great. The extra seats are for emergencies only, but handy for the kids with their extra friends that sometimes pop up. The driving position is very good and although the gearbox is notchy, perhaps a better phrase is firm. The car is very quiet at motorway speeds, with little wind noise from the bigger wheels and tyres on this model. Like others, the fuel economy is nowhere near what the book says, but perhaps the diesel needs around 10,000 miles to get run in, so hopefully things will get better as time goes on - it is still way better than the 25mpg I was getting in the Scooby! The leather seats are nice and offer good support and comfort. I recently had a 600-mile run up and down to England, and after 10 hours in the car, I had no back pain or tiredness. The dealer is fantastic and remembers me from over three years ago, when I had my last Citroen (now that's service!). The best part - I have only ever seen another two of these in the west of Scotland (a couple of ugly Pug versions and the Mitsubishi version, which looks very dated in comparison to the chic French man). Don't walk past the C-Crosser without giving it serious consideration. You won't be disappointed.

Jim Connor, South Ayrshire, May 2nd 2008

HDi VTR Plus 5dr

By far the best looking of the 3 Outlander variants. The interior is functional rather than luxurious but practical. Seats surprisingly supportive and comfortable and there is a good clutch foot rest. The rear middle row of seats slide and recline offering excellent leg room in its class. The rear seats are occasional kiddy seats for school runs which should be viewed as a bonus when needed rather than a full 7 seat offering, thus more versatile than either a CRV or Freelander. The Radio and CD offering in the VTR+ version is a bit basic and featureless with only reasonable sound quality and therefore a bit dissapointing for a vehicle in this price bracket. A very capable and roomy vehicle with a comfortable drive only marred by a gearbox experience reminiscent of a 1970's Fiat. Its very agricultural and 1st to 2nd takes a bit of effort leaving me feeling tempted to double de-clutch. My main gripe however are the maufacturers claimed MPG figures, I drive around 110 miles a day, mainly cruising for the most on motorways and struggle to better 32 to 34 MPG to the gallon. The claims of 38 MPG are a very optimistic figure as even when attempting an "economy" drive (out of curiosity) including freewheeling downhill etc I just about managed 36.7 MPG and this was with the car fully warmed up, unladen and no passengers. Overall I am very pleased with it apart from some irritatingly cheap dashboard trim, nnotchy gearbox and poorer than expected fuel consumptio

Jim Hanna, teesside, April 5th 2008

HDi Exclusive 5dr

The C-Crosser is a brilliant drive round town - it's easy to fit into car park spaces. The optional rear camera and reversing sensors make parking a doddle and the split tailgate makes easy work of the heaviest of shopping. On the move, the C-Crosser feels solid. The gearbox is notchy and feels a tad agricultural, but the six gears work well to make use of the 280lb ft of torque. The Exclusive I drove had the optional touch-screen sat-nav, audio HDD and reversing camera system. The audio HDD is brilliant - no more CDs loose in the cabin. The CD player also plays MP3 files and sounds fantastic, too. The leather seats feel hard-wearing rather than plush, but do give a good position and are comfy, too. The electric driver's seat allows a multitude of positions, it's just a shame there's a lack of memory settings. The rear seats are split 60/40 and this does detract from the ease of use you find in the Picasso range with their three proper seats - they release electronically from the third row which is a great idea. The third row seats are small and are best used for short distances as they offer little creature comforts. Considering this car is basically the same as the Peugeot and the Mitsubishi version, it is by far the best-looking. The wheels are gorgous and certainly stand out from the pack. All in all, I think Citroen's first 4x4 is a great choice, especially as the CO2 output is below the magic 200g/km barrier and it's capable of almost 40mpg.

dean woods, kent, August 19th 2007

HDi Exclusive 5dr

In a market suddenly flooded with comact SUVs, I find myself struggling to find one that ticks all the boxes. The Outlander, Pug 4007 and Citroen C-Crosser all have great plus points: split tailgate, 5 + 2 seating, sharp looks, big boot, good performance and economy. Out of these three the C-crosser probably has the edge. The Honda CRV is probably built better and has a panoramic sunroof, but from some angles it looks a bit wierd. The Landie Freelander is a bit green wellies and lab, but its pure 4x4. I think the Santa Fe is really in the next sector size-wise, even though in price it falls in the compact group. Then there is the Renault, Ford and VW due out early 2008. It's not an easy call! If I had to buy something now I think the C-Crosser has a lot to offer. Okay, the third row of seats are a bit thin, but they are ideal for emergencies or a daddy taxi. If you really needed permanent seven seats you'd be buying a Ford S-Max or Citroen Picasso anyway. On a comparison with other cars in this sector I give it a thumbs up. It has comfortable seats, an uncluttered dash and - for a car of this size - will be relatively economical to run. It will be top of my list when I change in Feb 2008. Mind you, I haven't seen the Renault Ford or VW yet...

Paul Goodchild, August 7th 2007

HDi Exclusive 5dr

After visiting my local Citroen dealer today, I saw the new C-Crosser. We have ordered a Grand C4 picasso, and should be collecting it in five days' time. Anyway, first impressions of the car were relatively good, until we reached the interior. The dash wasn't terrible but was quite conservative to say that this is a new car, representing Citroen in the 4x4 sector. Compared to the C4, C4 Picasso, and C6, this is a very old-fashioned car. Things looked even more down as I looked towards the rear of the car. The 60/40 folding seats hindered practicality. The third row of seats was terrible. The seats were extremely firm, whilst the bottom of the seats were uncushioned and had just a bit a fabric stetched across, deckchair style. If I was looking for a mid-sized seven-seat 4x4 priced up to Β£25,000, I'd go for the Hyundai Santa Fe. It looks better, it's more versatile, and if you can live with the badge, then you've got yourself a great car.

Sam Ellis, Nottinghamshire, July 15th 2007