Vauxhall Antara 4x4 Owner reviews

CDTi SE 5dr

I have read lots of negative reviews about this car. But I have to say I disagree. It's comfortable responsive looks good and has most toys with the exception of DAB radio. I bought the car to tow my caravan. This car when compared with its piers and I test drove many in SE format is excellent value for money. MPG could be better but contrary to many reports mine driven sensibly is pretty much in line with claimed figures. No that's not ramping it but equally I'm not captain slow. Also cruises smoothly and quietly on the Motorway with a smooth automatic gearbox. I really would give it a go but as I say look at the SE version just has those little extras that make the difference and with 19 inch alloys and in white looks great. Actually, all that said don't look as I quite like the exclusivity it also gives.

Martin Miles, Gloucestershire, December 17th 2014

CDTi 16v E 5dr

I find this car very poor to own, the cost of running it is disgusting only getting 26mpg is not good when it says in the Manuel it will do combined fuel is 46mpg also find nearly every week the Diesel Particle Filter comes on which then uses more fuel because you have to run the revs at 2000 for at least 20 mins what a joke. Do not even buy this car its RUBBISH

Kevin Griffin, west midalnds, October 30th 2013

CDTi [184] SE Nav 5dr Auto

As a replacement for our C4 Grand Picasso this was never going to have the space or the fuel economy of the Citroen. However for a big heavy car an average around town of 30MPG and 35 on a run isnt too bad at all. The car has only covered 3000 mile so far so still bedding in. Vauxhall have missed a couple of tricks with this car why no flip up tables for rear passengers advertising as a family SUV then ignoring a possible market in this day and age makes no sense. Drivers seat could do with the extending seat bolster to increase thigh support for taller drivers. Also the shoulder room if seat fully back is restricted by door pillars Previous car had cut out in the trim to prevent this. DPF regen seems to be on excessive side, as if they mounted the DPF too far back in exhaust to utilise the heat and need to inject extra fuel to raise the heat required. They need to look at how Citroen or VW get around this. Auto function of headlamps means they are on all the time , Vauxhall attempt at DRL. Trip to dealer sorted this so lights on auto only come on if light fades, as they should do. These niggles aside a good solid car which is a pleasure to drive, as long as not needed for mostly round town otherwise DPF will become a problem. Tows a 1680Kg caravan no problem.

Iain Mortimer, Wilts, February 6th 2013

CDTi SE 5dr

This is my first 4X4 car and my fifth Vauxhall to date. Great to drive, good strong responsive engine. No Daytime Running Lights so I swapped the sidelights for LED lamps...sorted ! This model has a very good equipment spec...parking sensors are excellent ! Bought brand new for Β£17995 (listΒ£24400) Like all New Vauxhalls the Lifetime Warranty is good (1st Owner Only) My previous car was Meriva (180,000miles) Much more stylish than the Nissan Qashqai as well !!

Juan Rogers, January 18th 2013

CDTi SE 5dr

I bought an Antara SE 2.2 CDTI auto in July 2011 and the PDI was not carried out correctly. Vauxhall customer services have not answered my issues with the fact that it has not got day running lights or front door lights as stated in the manuals and brochures. Totally dissatisfied with the customer service although for the money the Antara is a nice car to drive. Shame it is owned by Vauxhall.

Darren Leese, Cheshire, August 5th 2011

CDTi 16v S 5dr

i have the antara 2.0 cdti s in black and is the werst car i have ever had it it terrible onroad and offroad they say it is better than a frontera i had one a k reg 2.3 turbo diesel had it for ten years i have had antara for 3 months and i cant stand it its horrible of im selling it and i got offered Β£3,000 i am willing to take that anyway if you want a 4x4 get a frontera 2.3 turbo diesel best 4x4 ever if anyone says its a good car you are a moron

james betty, west glorrmorgan, January 13th 2009

CDTi 16v S 5dr

The Antara is a good car with a diabolical thirst for diesel. I once managed 32-33MPG driving at 55MPH on the motorway. At normal speeds it would give 27-28MPG, dropping to 25MPG around town. This car simply cannot achieve the official average MPG figures under any circumstances, let alone achieve a higher value whilst cruising. I have no issue witha 4x4 achieving lower MPG than a standard car or MPV, but I do have an issue with being lied to. The Antara brochure even makes a special point about the (good) fuel consumption of the diesel model. I complained to Vauxhall and had the car checked out, but Vauxhall's response was "the fuel consumption is normal and anyway all comparable 4x4's are the same". In other respects, the Antara is a perfectly decent car at a reasonable price, and the 20,000 mile service interval is exceptional.

Michael Thompson, December 9th 2008

CDTi 16v S 5dr

I like the vehicle but fuel consumption is dreadful, 29mpg. Original technical spec said 37.2 combined and I've never had a car I don't beter official figures in. Will cost about Β£365 extra per 10000 miles at current prices. I'm making a complaint to GM so would like to hear from owners with similar issues. Apart from that a car like feel with minimal body roll but quite a firm ride with a bit of jarring on poor road surfaces. Climate control can't be set below 20 degrees c so always hot!

Richard Mason, November 25th 2008

CDTi 16v SE 5dr

Overall a brilliant car to buy as a used network Q car package. This is what did, i bought a Β£500 banger and traded it in for Β£1500 against an Antara SE CDTi - so for Β£13000 its a great buy. (i suggest anyone else out there do the same. (sell your other car if you have one via www.wewillbuyyourcar.com - simple. Never ever buy a car worth over Β£20K new, buy pre-registered and save a bomb. Back to the car which is fantastic, the only grip is fuel return which is imposible to get anywhere near Vuaxhalls claimed 45.5 average. If you can live with around 30miles per gallon your fine. Quality of car ranks with BMWs and a mate is getting rid of a Lexus 4X4 for one so that tells yo all you need to know about the car.

simon doyle, Durham, November 8th 2008

CDTi 16v SE 5dr

I Have never understood why the motoring press slate the Vauxhall product so much, I have always found them to be excellent value, extremely reliable and very well equiped for the price. I have owned 4 Frontera's with the new Antara being my latest addition. I have an SE model, which has extensive equipment, Colour Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Rain sensing wipers, Zenon Auto Headlights, etc etc. It is very comfortable and a pleasure to drive. Not once has any Vauxhall I have owned ever let me down, Including all the Frontera's. The Antara's fuel consumption has been slated, I currently return 29.6mpg, which for it's size I think is fair, I have some friends with 2.0d X3's which can only return 24mpg at best. All in all it's an excellent product which has never let me down.

C Smith, September 15th 2008

CDTi 16v S 5dr

Diesel engine is excessively noisy and coarse at low speeds. Auto gearbox is very good. Practical but a very small boot space. Fuel consumption nowhere near the claimed figures and Vauxhall dealer has told me this is a common complaint. A bit tinny when you shut the doors but overall build quality and level of equipment is good.

Paul Wilkins, Berkshire, May 20th 2008

CDTi 16v SE 5dr

I have owned a Vauxhall Antara for 8 months now and I have to say Vauxhall has got this one right. Comfort and performance is first class, it has a stylish body and interior, it's a joy to drive and not too hard on the wallet! Well done Vauxhall on this one. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

carol jones, April 1st 2008